Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
even putting that aside, while Earnhardt had a long and consistent career, there was never really an extended period where he was absolutely the best guy in the sport. Gordon is basically Dale's career with a better peak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

be nice wicka posted:

it's loving nascar, if you're criticizing people for causing wrecks you're criticizing literally everyone ever

Imagine how big of a shithead you'd have to be to earn that reputation in NASCAR, then.

E - to the point that meth head Mayfield is lauded for shoving him at Pocono

Look at this poo poo, this is the immaculate example of why Earnhardt was a dick https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkHKYDVv6kw

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Feb 18, 2015

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
btw it was actually Gordon's last few seasons that really pushed him over Dale in my view- he's basically having Dale's late-career resurgence. it really is same career, better peak.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I'd agree to that

What's really funny is no one is arguing to put Johnson in a top 5, and arguably he slots ahead of Gordon so Earnhardt is probably fifth.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Johnson is actually really similar to Earnhardt for me, just without the dirty driving. Lots of titles, lots of wins, obviously great, but you never got the impression that he was on a different planet from everyone else.

I mean, it's hard for anyone to stand out when there's so much parity these days, to be fair, but the best season of the 00s isn't a Johnson season, it's Jeff Gordon's 2007. Maybe I'm being unfair in expecting the next great guy to win 13 races, but still.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Feb 18, 2015

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Alain Post posted:

Lots of titles, but you never got the impression that he was on a different planet from everyone else.

this is the same thing everyone says about drivers who dominate and i can never figure out if it's just sour grapes or because it's impossible to have that much success without some wins/titles that you clearly don't "deserve"

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I'm putting him ahead of Earnhardt based on JJ having some years left in him. 8 or more Cups and 100 wins isn't a ludicrous projection. 2 Cups and 30 wins if he stays competitive for the next decade... it's not a stretch, really.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

be nice wicka posted:

this is the same thing everyone says about drivers who dominate and i can never figure out if it's just sour grapes or because it's impossible to have that much success without some wins/titles that you clearly don't "deserve"

Jeff Gordon between 1995 and 1999 was loving untouchable. He'd come to any track and everyone freaking knew that he'd either win, or at least be in contention. Dale wasn't like that in his title years, DW was. Bill Elliott wasn't (except in 1985, or at Talladega with the Mellings), Cale was. Jimmie's great, but I never got that fear-of-god feeling that Jeff in his prime had.

Like, my point is that the titles aside (and there are obviously questions re: the Chase in there), he didn't dominate as much as some other guys did. Honestly when Kyle Busch had his years of being hot, he seemed more "dominant" than Jimmie did sometimes- and I loving hate Kyle.

e) i'm down with saying JJ is better than Dale, btw.

1) Pearson
2) Petty
3) Gordon
4) Johnson
5) Waltrip

6-10 is a big-rear end fight between Dale, Cale, Tony Stewart, and like, Rusty Wallace or someone

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Feb 18, 2015

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

Bingo is open!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3701539

So help me God, the first time someone asks me "DOES THAT COUNT EB?"...

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Whoa, 46 posts in the NASCAR thread something interes..... Oh.

:raise:

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

mischief posted:

I think anytime there's a bunch of posts in the thread there's about a 50% chance that it's going to be a bunch of shitposts.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Elitist Bitch posted:

I think anytime there's a bunch of posts in the thread there's about a 50% chance that it's going to be a bunch of shitposts.

like this one right here that i've quoted

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

mischief posted:

Holy gently caress people had a discussion! How dare they

I mean Christ, post your opinion, or are we required to bitch and moan 24/7 in here?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

me, vikingskull and jim had a calm and reasonable discussion about the relative merits of nascar drivers and you have the audacity to complain?

e: is the 500 streaming on fox sports go?

wicka fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Feb 18, 2015

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

VikingSkull posted:

Pearson ran less races than Petty, never really ran full seasons, has 105 wins and beat Petty heads up when they ran 1-2 (more than any others ran 1-2). You could make the case either way but Petty really inflated his stats by beating up on locals in factory equipment in races Pearson didn't bother showing up for.

E - a lotta geezers I know will tell you that Pearson was the best, even diehard Petty fans

Right, sorry I wasn't clear enough, Pearson definitely above Petty, but I would say Gordon and maybe even Earnhardt above Petty.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Alain Post posted:

btw it was actually Gordon's last few seasons that really pushed him over Dale in my view- he's basically having Dale's late-career resurgence. it really is same career, better peak.

Except Gordon got to have a late career. I can't wait for someone to fall into this thread telling me how terrible Kulwicki was. "dude only had one title what a hoser!" Also regarding Johnson on your fave five viking, your list is like saying "i think we should kill the jews and also I like ranch dressing", and then wondering why people aren't arguing about thousand island.

Peanut President fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Feb 18, 2015

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Dale was like 50 when he died. Only delusional Dale fans (all of them) thought his late form would last for much longer. He was old and a bunch of good young drivers were about to enter the sport.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I don't think it's unrealistic to say Dale had a shot at #8 in 2001 were it not for the dying thing though

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Alain Post posted:

Dale was like 50 when he died. Only delusional Dale fans (all of them) thought his late form would last for much longer. He was old and a bunch of good young drivers were about to enter the sport.

Dale Earnhardt had 2 wins and finished second in points in 2000, at 49 years old. Gordon's 5 years younger and getting a pole is a momentous occasion for him.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Jimmie would have kicked his old rear end out of the sport in 2002.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Peanut President posted:

"i think we should kill the jews and also I like ranch dressing"
Welp, there's the title for the Chase post right there.

I don't think Earnhardt had many more seasons past 2001 left in him at that point, at least on a full-time basis. The late 90s weren't kind to him physically, the heir apparent was waiting in the wings at RCR and DEI was starting to really get going.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Peanut President posted:

Gordon's 5 years younger and getting a pole is a momentous occasion for him.

gordon won 4 races last year and had it not been for the worst points system ever, he would've wrapped up the championship the race before homestead.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...

Alain Post posted:

in all seriousness considering the results they had with the drivers they had, RYR has to be the best team of the 1990s. if Gordon had driven for them he would have won 20 races a year lol

(i am not a huge fan of Dale Jarrett)

Kenny Irwin was very bad

Also:
1) Pearson
2) Gordon
3) Petty
4) Earnhardt
5) Johnson

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I've said all along Gordon would have six championships at this point under the old system. Johnson would have won in 2004. The only reason Johnson lost the points lead going into the Chase was they used three races leading in as test sessions and blew up in all of them.

Boomer The Cannon posted:

Welp, there's the title for the Chase post right there.

I don't think Earnhardt had many more seasons past 2001 left in him at that point, at least on a full-time basis. The late 90s weren't kind to him physically, the heir apparent was waiting in the wings at RCR and DEI was starting to really get going.

I swear I read/heard somewhere around the 10th anniversary of the crash that the plan was for him to run 2001, with 2002 likely being a farewell tour.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

I've said all along Gordon would have six championships at this point under the old system. Johnson would have won in 2004. The only reason Johnson lost the points lead going into the Chase was they used three races leading in as test sessions and blew up in all of them.

this isn't relevant though as drivers race to the rules they are given. you can't simply look in the past and assume every result would have been the same under a different points system.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Gordon ran away and hid in 2007 and 2014 under the old system. I give Jimmie the 2004 title Jeff "would've won under the old system" for the reasons you mentioned: if there is no Chase, the 48 doesn't go into R&D mode in late summer 2004 and keeps their points lead.

Effective immediately, drivers must start every race to be eligible for the Chase.

...or at least I believe that's what this alert from the NASCAR app is trying to tell me.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah I mean, strategy aside, you aren't loving with 30 top-10s in 36 races.

e) and yeah, Jimmie was probably the best driver of '04. Had the potential to be a fun three-way fight between Jimmie, Jeff, and Dale Jr, though. 2004 was definitely Junior's best season at DEI.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Feb 18, 2015

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Canadian Tire is confirmed to be leaving the NASCAR Canada series at the end of 2015, eliminating their sponsorship of Scott Steckley but keeping sponsorship of Mosport.

Let the games begin.

E: Dale Earnhardt fans are coming out of the woodwork on Facebook/Twitter today like baby boomers who said they went to the original Woodstock.

Boomer The Cannon fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Feb 18, 2015

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

E: Dale Earnhardt fans are coming out of the woodwork on Facebook/Twitter today like baby boomers who said they went to the original Woodstock.

Is today the anniversary of Earnhardt sacrificing himself so he could give a win to Mikey loving Waltrip?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Fail Earnshart.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

Though somewhat biased as a JJ fan, I'd be cool with putting him top 5, like Viking, I don't think 8 cups is out of the question. Did he dominate a lovely points system? Sure, but I think we established he's still a 3x champ at least under the old format. The thing that really hit home for me was a comment from Gordon saying "I've seen him get more out of a bad car than anyone I've ever seen, and he still brings it home in one piece." If nothing else he's consistent, something NASCAR used to reward.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Peanut President posted:

Is today the anniversary of Earnhardt sacrificing himself so he could give a win to Mikey loving Waltrip?

This is the best description I've ever heard of that day.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Feb 18, 2015

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...

anotherblownsave posted:

Though somewhat biased as a JJ fan, I'd be cool with putting him top 5, like Viking, I don't think 8 cups is out of the question. Did he dominate a lovely points system? Sure, but I think we established he's still a 3x champ at least under the old format. The thing that really hit home for me was a comment from Gordon saying "I've seen him get more out of a bad car than anyone I've ever seen, and he still brings it home in one piece." If nothing else he's consistent, something NASCAR used to reward.

Jimmie making a bad day worse is the exception to the rule which is worth a lot of credit to me.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Well to be fair, if you were lucky enough to watch Earnhardt race live, looking back he was an incredible competitor. I was in the infield of Daytona at the exit of turn 2 and watched him get out of the ambulance and get back into his rolled car after they put it back on it's wheels. Also seeing him win the 500 in '98 was incredible, everyone was rooting for him, even the people (like myself) that didn't like him. It was like a weird NASCAR utopia moment where everyone was happy with the result.

I went to pretty much every Daytona race in the 90's and watching him was pretty loving cool.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Feb 18, 2015

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

I won't disagree with that, as that articulates a lot of my thoughts on him as well. With that being said, I'm not rushing to canonize the man and declare him everything that NASCAR after he died, and I'm getting that vibe from a lot of people.

The same people who cheered him on in 1998 were probably the same people pissed off with him at Bristol in 1999, and that's ok.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

dale earnhardt is ayrton senna with a mustache

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Rip DALE *holds 3 fingers in tha air*

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Cool Story: After he won the 500, the next morning after I camped and got up to leave I decided to stop at the ticket counter to see about Pepsi 400 tickets, and right as I walked in the front door Dale walked in the back for his car induction to the museum. I said something along the lines of WOOO 500 CHAMP! and he looked right at me with the biggest poo poo eating grin I've ever seen him with, waved at me and walked into the room where his car was with ESPN and a big crowd waiting. I watched from the entrance for awhile and that poo poo eating grin never left his face, that mean old bastard of a driver I though he was turned into a kid at Christmas and it was pretty cool to see, I'll never forget it :)

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Muddy Burphy posted:

Kenny Irwin was very bad

Also:
1) Pearson
2) Gordon
3) Petty
4) Earnhardt
5) Johnson

This isn't a bad list.

Petty really gets hurt by how much factory support he had, and how many wins he had in 200 lap races on half mile dirt tracks, against fields of 30 cars or less, with half of the cars being track locals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AirborneSpore
Mar 2, 2014

That one bounced.
Two live interview sessions coming up on Nascar press pass at 1:15PM EST. For anyone interested. First up is Dale Jr, then Carl Edwards.

http://www.nascar.com/presspass

• Locked thread