Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Gonzo McFee posted:

Rovert's actually not bad, I like him now. He's cool.

I do too there are just some little things I wish he would not do hence my entirely friendly advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon

what a completely bizarre reaction to someone who is agreeing with you. i really don't understand this strange hostility you are showing me.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

the only bizarre thing in this thread is you guys have a fetish of making the conversation about rovert

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

wow rovert said he got a scoop, let's make the next 5 pages about him also i am a literal child

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

there is a lot to talk about with tna like

1.) it's bad
2.) samoa joe somehow never became one of the biggest stars in the industry
3.) it's bad

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Seriously how the gently caress did Joe's career amount to such a wet fart.

I'm not even a big Joe fan and idgi.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

TNA fans can talk about building for the future all they want - they have yet to find someone with nearly as much potential. He had something nobody else on the roster had and the fact that they ruined him was amazing.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

HulkaMatt posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-dZGsd2rAY

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

HulkaMatt posted:

they have yet to find someone with nearly as much potential.

I don't like what you're implying about Crazzy Steve here

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Everyone read this:
http://www.voicesofwrestling.com/2015/02/18/the-sad-story-of-samoa-joe-in-tna/

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

well he's not wrong

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Getting things back on track, Joe will probably go down as one of the biggest blunders when it comes to major talent regardless of the company. When he first came to TNA, he had such an aura and TNA actually seems willing to commit to pushing him as a monster. And then things just petered out and Joe did what was best for his family while his talent sort of just sat on a shelf. And now it's too late, so we will all just be left spending the rest of our days wondering what could have been.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

I remember hating that Lockdown match because they tried to work some wacky MMA style match completely different from anything else on the card. I thought it just didn't work.

Also the stalling of giving Joe the title was worse than ROH stalling on giving Tyler Black the title.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Samoa Joes transition from one of most exciting wrestlers on the planet who defined a generation of indie wrestling to a fat guy in a suit whining about a title shot is Good Television

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I was actually watching some old TNA and gently caress me if it wasn't well booked back when Joe debuted.

Six months into Joes Debut he basically murders Christopher Daniels and wears his blood around his neck after soaking it up in a towel. Incensed at seeing his long time rival utterly decimated by Samoa Joe, X Division champion AJ Styles goes after Joe rather than waiting for Joe to inevitably come to him. Samoa Joe wins the belt in an even match that while cheating is still impressive, attacks AJ after the match, Daniels comes out and attacks Joe despite being injured, is stunned due to the injury and it's broken up by the refs and security before Samoa Joe runs through him again. This sets up to the triple threat matches that were so good that Dave Meltzer gave them five stars.

I mean what in western wrestling has been that well booked in the last ten years, never mind just in TNA?

Gonzo McFee fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Feb 18, 2015

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

those fuckers ruined what little they had when they hired russo in 2006 and ran joe/angle into the groud immediately

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

I remember being pretty hyped for that Joe/Angle match but I also had no idea what the story of Angle leaving WWE was about.

In hindsight them booking that immediately and having Joe LOSE - yikes.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Gonzo McFee posted:

I was actually watching some old TNA and gently caress me if it wasn't well booked back when Joe debuted.

Six months into Joes Debut he basically murders Christopher Daniels and wears his blood around his neck after soaking it up in a towel. Incensed at seeing his long time rival utterly decimated by Samoa Joe, X Division champion AJ Styles goes after Joe rather than waiting for Joe to inevitably come to him. Samoa Joe wins the belt in an even match that while cheating is still impressive, attacks AJ after the match, Daniels comes out and attacks Joe despite being injured, is stunned due to the injury and it's broken up by the refs and security before Samoa Joe runs through him again. This sets up to the triple threat matches that were so good that Dave Meltzer gave them five stars.

I mean what in western wrestling has been that well booked in the last ten years, never mind just in TNA?

Sadly, the only way to see TNA when it was at its best was on RealPlayer. I miss those days.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I remember loving the 2008 Joe Vs Angle Title match. I know it was divisive at the time but I thought it was so refreshing and innovative.

Plus it was sadly the best match of his title reign since they fed him nothing but former WWE wrestlers who couldn't give a gently caress. Samoa Joe Vs "Trying to be Forest Whitaker in Last King of Scotland" Booker T anyone?

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Just had a flashback to TNA booking Joe to lose to Tyson Tomko because Joe said that he was tripping over some bad booking.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

HulkaMatt posted:

I remember being pretty hyped for that Joe/Angle match but I also had no idea what the story of Angle leaving WWE was about.

In hindsight them booking that immediately and having Joe LOSE - yikes.

I remember everyone being really excited for the possibility of that match the second Angle signed with TNA. But instead of building this up and using this as a way to make Joe a star after letting Angle get some wins over other opponents they just rushed that match on the PPV right after and had Joe lose. Then they did it two more times at the next two PPVs while having poo poo like Abyss win the title by DQ and basically pissed over anything they possibly could have had.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

HulkaMatt posted:

Just had a flashback to TNA booking Joe to lose to Tyson Tomko because Joe said that he was tripping over some bad booking.

That the one that happened after his last ROH appearance where the crowd started chanting "gently caress Vince Russo" and Joe's reaction was pretty much "I know, right"?

Good times.

Cory Lidle
Oct 12, 2006

HulkaMatt posted:

there is a lot to talk about with tna like

1.) it's bad
3.) it's bad
4.) They had AJ Styles for years and also didn't make him the face of the industry, much less their own lovely promotion

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
OOOOHHHH gently caress!

Does anyone else remember the first Samoa Joe Vs Scott Steiner match where Steiner decided he was going to really put over Samoa Joe?

Scott Steiner's last great match right there.

I'm just remembering how much of a mark I was for Samoa Joe back in the day. :allears:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Gonzo McFee posted:

OOOOHHHH gently caress!

Does anyone else remember the first Samoa Joe Vs Scott Steiner match where Steiner decided he was going to really put over Samoa Joe?

Scott Steiner's last great match right there.

I'm just remembering how much of a mark I was for Samoa Joe back in the day. :allears:

I remember that Samoa Joe had like a 8 1/3% chance to beat Scott Steiner

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

ayn rand hand job posted:

I remember that Samoa Joe had like a 8 1/3% chance to beat Scott Steiner

But Steiner had something like a 130% chance of winning. I suspect his math may have been off.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Maybe James Storm is quoting a song lyric or working the dirtsheets but still:
https://twitter.com/JamesStormBrand/status/568275487773949954

Hope Americans Most Wanted are in the next New Japan Tag League

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Just in case it's deleted

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

dear robert "bobby" roode please quit and reform beer money

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

beer money has been sitting right there unused since 2011 unless those two actually hate each other there is no excuse

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

The possibility of James Storm leaving is the most excited I've been about TNA since Bound For Glory 2012.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Beyond it meaning Storm and Joe, two of the best people to ever be in the company, leaving, please have two big people of two different factions TNA created for no reason walk out right after tapings so there's no way to explain any of it in storyline

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
I'd like to remind you that Samoa Joe is the reason why we got Steiner Math, the best promo in the history of pro wrestling:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFoC3TR5rzI

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Any other promoter in TNA's current position would be trying to snap up any hot indie talent that isn't being pursued by WWE/NXT, maybe find some way to work out a talent-share agreement with some of the ROH undercard. Since this is Dixie Carter, she'll just bring in any fossils she recognizes that are still ambulatory.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

James Storm is all over their one night stand shows up until the end of the year and booked really strong on them.

What I'm saying is there is nothing I want more than for him to leave.

OppositeAstronomer
May 26, 2008

yoink!
We have a lot of fun with TNA and how bad it is, but it's incredibly depressing that they've wasted the prime years of one of the best in the business. The sky should've been the limit for Joe but he was in an organization that continuously drove itself into the ground. He's better for having that national exposure and can use it like AJ is right now to live comfortably on wrestling but he should be limousine riding, jet flying, etc. at this point in his life.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

LoboLoboLobo posted:

We have a lot of fun with TNA and how bad it is, but it's incredibly depressing that they've wasted the prime years of one of the best in the business.

What's depressing is this applies to:

- AJ
- Daniels/Kaz
- Alex Shelley (~8 years wasted)
- Angle (debateable, but he clearly had a number of good years in him when he went to TNA)

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

tbqh kaz really wasnt some waste of a top talent in the business

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I really want Joe to go to NJPW and have a career resurgence like AJ.

Joe going back to ROH would be fine, but there are a lot more exciting possible matches in Japan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

oatgan posted:

tbqh kaz really wasnt some waste of a top talent in the business

I put them together because as a unit they were probably more valuable than individually, but point taken. They weren't really main event talents but were certainly a top tag team.

• Locked thread