Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Captain Foo posted:

Just 3d print meth

Customs Minister Maurice Williamson, who requested the report, said the printers had already been used for criminal activity. In future, they could render banknotes obsolete by producing undetectable forgeries, make synthetic drugs or create guns, he said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

bobbilljim posted:

Customs Minister Maurice Williamson, who requested the report, said the printers had already been used for criminal activity. In future, they could render banknotes obsolete by producing undetectable forgeries, make synthetic drugs or create guns, he said.

lol

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

bobbilljim posted:

brb, 3d printing some ecstacy pills and heading down to sell them in the club district

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

bobbilljim posted:

make undetectable forgeries is also something 2d printers may be able to do in (the) future too so idk what this daft ol dodger is on about

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

maniacdevnull posted:

make undetectable forgeries is also something 2d printers may be able to do in (the) future too so idk what this daft ol dodger is on about

in the future money will be ~~3D~~

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

australian money already is kind of 3d

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

power companies are furious as 18 year old prints his own nuclear generator

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

maniacdevnull posted:

don't printers have a chip in them that detects when you're trying to print money and refuses to do so, or something

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Main Paineframe posted:

don't printers have a chip in them that detects when you're trying to print money and refuses to do so, or something

depends on the printer, most high end stuff does but your average inkjet probably doesn't

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EURion_constellation

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Main Paineframe posted:

yes but an undetectable forgery would also need special ink and watermarks

which you could easily print with a 3d printer if 3d printers were actually star trek replicators instead

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
you can't replicate latinum

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
i wonder what kind of cool projects their "cyborg research group", sensebridge, does

quote:

Tongue Tingler

Trans-lingual Electric Nerve Stimulator

A.K.A. a tongue-zapping retainer. This project is highly nascent, but the idea is to build a dental retainer, on the bottom of which is an electrode array. If one holds one's tongue to the roof of the mouth, it will press against this electrode array and one can feel the patterns of electrical stimulation.
[edit] Physical Design

The armature will be made with a non-toxic molding plastic fitted to a user's mouth. This same mold needs to fit over a lead-free printed circuit board. On the top of the board, completely enclosed and sealed from the mouth, are a number of wafer-thin shift registers. On the bottom of the printed circuit board, exposed to the mouth, is an array of electrodes. The power supply and logic control is external to the mouth, and connected to this retainer by the thinnest possible wire, which would extrude from the corner of the mouth.

[edit] Component Sourcing

Help?

quote:

Eyes in the back of your back

or, Vibro Vest. Name suggestions encouraged!

Rachel and others are creating a vest that will allow the wearer to feel side-to-side movement behind them. This will be done by a set of motion sensors connected to a touch display (of pager motors, at least initially). The first prototype will have a one dimensional display so that up & down motion will not be detected, but this can probably be added later once some of the more pressing problems are solved. We have not yet made a final determination on the prototype sensors but have had some success with ultrasonic rangefinders.

[edit] Current Status

Full object is made but arduino is Broke due to plugging battery in backwards like an idiot. Need to swap out for a new one, or reflash the bios, or Something...

brilliant...

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
why the gently caress would i want a retainer that shocks me

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
lmao backwards battery fried the bios yase

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

why the gently caress would i want a retainer that shocks me

It would distract you from the parakeet soldering the poo poo.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

the parakeet is actually a canary, when it does you should leave nosebridge

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

update: someone put the tongue tingler inside the vibro vest and when i hooked it into wall power using this cord i ripped out of the fire alarm, it fried smokey the elevator dwelling crackhead

emergency group meeting to vote on letting the paramedics enter noisebridge in 2 hours

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

qirex posted:

depends on the printer, most high end stuff does but your average inkjet probably doesn't

I think it's in (at least the Windows) drivers or print stack because I've gotten it to freak out when I tried to print one on even a really lovely inkjet printer we got for free and the only way it would let me is if I scaled it way up and made it really low res.

Never actually tried it on linux, let's find out....

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

All these nerds are trying to add sensory input via tactile methods which is cheating.

This cute shy self-harming brit girl does DIY cybernetic implants correctly because she is awesome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APOAmxFEMkQ

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

god dammit I did it again

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

quote:

Another hacker friend of mine would like to connect with the person who hooked the sewing machine up to the game boy. I don't know who is responsible for that particular bit of excellence.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

quote:

Last night myself and Torrie asked Jeanine Otter to leave Noisebridge and not come back.

Jeanine had been using Noisebridge to print hateful, offensive material ("Die Techie Scum" posters and the like) in large quantities. Many were uncomfortable with her offensive material and attitude towards those in the community.

quote:

I want to support Noisebridg'es kicking people out abilities, especially for people who are annoying, destructive, and scary, but personally, as techie scum myself, do not think Die Techie Scum posters are crossing a line. I would understand someone taking the posters down.

My line is more around power dynamics and whether something is a specific threat.

This reads to me much more like hyperbole. Like, I can read and admire the rhetoric of the SCUM Manifesto, or as I hope others can, without actually supporting violence, and treat it as food for thought.

"if you're new to town and work in tech, leave" also just seems like slightly harsh political speech. It is angry and it's rude and it will be offensive to many people but hardly seems like oppression or a threat of violence or a terrible harassment campaign.

Not sure there is a way to be internally consistent, for example, I would think it fine to ban someone with a White Power tattoo on their face and yet would argue that Die Techie Scum is not so bannable.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
buy jeanine a yospos account

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

these sort of mental gymnastics really seem to be SOP for libertarians, don't they.

"you can be a dick in our private space but don't be offended if I destroy your thing after you make it because free speech!"

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

i didnt read all these words but maybe someone else will: http://newworker.co/mag/anatomy-anarchist-hackerspace/

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

i didnt read all these words but maybe someone else will: http://newworker.co/mag/anatomy-anarchist-hackerspace/

quote:

The sudden influx of the flotsam and jetsam proved to be problematic. While Noisebridge had no qualms with welcoming drifters and the homeless into the space, and was pleased to do so provided they contributed to the hacker community, some of these new folks coming from Occupy camps to Noisebridge had their own intentions. They began to consume Noisebridge from the inside, stealing tools and leeching off resources. Some were openly hostile and made misogynistic comments; when confronted, they would excuse their behavior under the guise of being a first-time visitor. When asked politely to leave, some became vindictive and broke equipment.

it's almost as if anarchy doesn't actually work in the real world until you compromise it to the point where it's not-anarchy

someone else mine further down i stopped reading there

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i skimmed it, laughed at "They even have a darkroom." and closed tab

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

BobHoward posted:

it's almost as if anarchy doesn't actually work in the real world until you compromise it to the point where it's not-anarchy

someone else mine further down i stopped reading there

here's the rest of the gold, everything after this part is just "noisebridge is totally awesome, according to the founder of noisebridge" repeated over and over till he reaches the wordcount quota

quote:

Within months, Noisebridge shifted from being a cohesive community and a safe space for creative pursuits to a dingy, chaotic free-for-all. Its culture was at risk of being undermined from the inside. Altman recalls, “We were all wondering whether Noisebridge was going to survive at all. It was a very serious discontinuous jump in the people who didn’t belong, and in an anarchist organization, how do you define who belongs and who doesn’t? Up until then it had worked well for us for years to leave that question open-ended.”

In an attempt to stabilize the culture and regain what was lost, a few members precipitated a bold takeover of the board of directors. They hoped to override the anarchist system in favor of democratic majority rule. It turned out their well-meaning actions backfired and further aroused the anger of the disaffected general membership, many of whom had stopped coming to the space. A rift formed between those who felt they had a place at Noisebridge and those who didn’t.

Ironically, the solution came in the aftermath of an act of vengeance. A displeased individual who had been made to leave ended up contacting the local authorities to report Noisebridge for violations of safety standards. Subsequent inspections proved the claims to be false, but in the process reminded Noisebridge of electrical work that needed to be done for some time.

The need for repairs turned out to be a call to arms for the membership, summoning them to do-ocratic action. Noisebridge members decided by consensus to shut down the space for a period of time in order work on the infrastructure themselves. A successful Indiegogo campaign raised the necessary capital and the project attracted back many of the members that had left.

The project took an entire month to complete. When Noisebridge came out of the “Reboot,” as it was called, the space was reinvigorated with fresh murals on the walls, re-sanded floors and improved electrical systems. The members also found their footing with each other again. The worst was over and Noisebridge had survived. The experience strengthened what Altman calls Noisebridge’s “cultural immune system” – its ability to keep the kinds of people that belong and to identify and reject those who do not.

hmmm. an anarchist space works fine until something happens that attracts poors and suddenly the space is overrun with people who "don't belong", causing problems until they ensure that only the people who "had a place at Noisebridge" are allowed in and everybody else is rejected and ostracized

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Another hacker friend of mine would like to connect with the person who hooked the sewing machine up to the game boy. I don't know who is responsible for that particular bit of excellence.

BobHoward posted:

there's always a boss.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

BobHoward posted:

no its cool, you just need someone in charge who can enforce anarchic law

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

noisebridge visitors: please refrain from prohibited anarchic behavior

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

bitcoin bastard posted:

noisebridge visitors: please refrain from prohibited anarchic behavior

gonna leave some doo-ocracy on the soldering irons

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
I went to san francisco the other day

the elevator certainly does look janky

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

atomicthumbs posted:

looks like a meth den, oh wait...

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

atomicthumbs posted:

it's worse/better than i ever could have imagined

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

I need to bathe in hand sanitizer just looking at that

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

its worse than i ever imagined

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
itt we are scouting filming locations for the upcoming remake of se7en

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

it's cool that tech pricks continue to think things that have been tried in the past can work this time because computers

hippy communes from the 60s/70s died out because their flat nature wasn't really flat and they all pushed people out before turning on what was left

• Locked thread