Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
It relied a bit too heavily on jump scares, to the point that it just got tiresome after a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

A x x x x x, x x x
B x
C
D x
E x

Brownview
Oct 15, 2012

Nothing in this world can take the place of a power rack

Anticheese posted:

Dead Space didn't really feel that scary when you're given the tools to deal with any threat pretty much right off the bat. Ammo was never really a problem. It was atmospheric and interesting, sure, but I'm not sure that I'd call it properly scary.

It wasn't the gameplay so much as the setting and atmosphere. I was the player that sat there for a minute, terrified, watching some flickering shadow of a guy slowly beating his head against the wall. Just really got to me!

When I was a kid I quit Silent Hill for a full summer after getting to the sewers where the radio didn't work. I didn't need that poo poo in my life.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Brownview posted:

It wasn't the gameplay so much as the setting and atmosphere. I was the player that sat there for a minute, terrified, watching some flickering shadow of a guy slowly beating his head against the wall. Just really got to me!

When I was a kid I quit Silent Hill for a full summer after getting to the sewers where the radio didn't work. I didn't need that poo poo in my life.

Can I introduce you to Marble Hornets?

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

LowellDND posted:

gently caress.
You.

:gonk:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Deadmeat5150 posted:

gently caress.
You.

:gonk:

I still haven't finished. It scares me so good :gonk:

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Yeah. The atmosphere is pretty awesome in that game. I haven't seen Marble Hornets though.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
I like the idea of starving whatever's responsible for this mess, but I think that'll be most easily done from A. the bridge, by manipulating internal gravity or dumping plasma through the corridors or whatever.

A ship that was actually designed from the ground up! Systems that are fully integrated! Once we get to a direct access point to the core systems, so authentication isn't so much of a problem, this should be a cakewalk compared to dealing with the systems of the Beast.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I was there for the birth of Slender Man. That series really gets me good. It could only be more terrifying if Mr. Cardigan showed up.

Brownview
Oct 15, 2012

LowellDND posted:

Haha - is there some playlist or walk through for all the videos? I dipped into it a couple times and got creeped out, but following the thread as it was happening was draining and hurt my interest.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Brownview posted:

Haha - is there some playlist or walk through for all the videos? I dipped into it a couple times and got creeped out, but following the thread as it was happening was draining and hurt my interest.

I usually use http://goo.gl/lKbn56

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Anticheese posted:

The bridge is going to make the Event Horizon look tame, isn't it? :gonk:

I sure hope so!

Also voting A

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

So would this be what happens when a Radical Magis Biologos delves too far and comes to the attention/under the control of the Hive Mind (Hive Overmind?)

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Azhais posted:

I sure hope so!

Also voting A

Gellar Fields have failed. Report to the bridge. A

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
This is.... this is heresy. Base heresy.

Thou.
Shalt.
Not.

Whoever is responsible for this travesty must be purged, for this utter blasphemy against the Omnissiah. Kill! Maim! Burn! Burn everything! Free the ship from the Xenos taint!

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

VanSandman posted:

This is.... this is heresy. Base heresy.

Thou.
Shalt.
Not.

Whoever is responsible for this travesty must be purged, for this utter blasphemy against the Omnissiah. Kill! Maim! Burn! Burn everything! Free the ship from the Xenos taint!

Hey, you're welcome to try and rewire it with good honest God-fearing ductwork. Me, I'm happy if it gets off the ground.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
A. Not because I hope to cleanse the evil, but because I still remember we have a mission - get the data and get out. Best odds are that we can do so on the bridge. We do that first, we can figure out how to burn everything second.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
A

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
Voting A since the bridge will give us the most options as well as provide access to the ship's logs.

I'm not sure how this is going to end for us but it looks like we're heading to a major life decision. Either we inevitably burn the ship destroying information and resources that could save untold billions of lives or we try to use it and take another step down radicalism.

Mind you, even by going on board the ship and finding what we have, we've basically handed our men a death sentence. The men who do survive this mission are going to be hounded by both the Mechanicum and the Inquisition who will be desperate for more information. If we get a chance, we should consider disposing of our men or upgrading them to Skitarii alternative employment opportunities.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Puritans are overrated

A!

Brownview
Oct 15, 2012

Kegslayer posted:

I'm not sure how this is going to end for us but it looks like we're heading to a major life decision. Either we inevitably burn the ship destroying information and resources that could save untold billions of lives or we try to use it and take another step down radicalism.

This and another recent comment from the OP has me wondering. So when insanity or corruption hits 100 do we suddenly become mustache-twirling evil? Do people perceive us as corrupted and/or we can't do pro-Imperium stuff? Like at 95 corruption we could be using those robo-Tyranid to help the war effort, but come 100 we feel compelled to turn them on what passes for innocents in this setting?

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Kegslayer posted:

If this were, from what I gather, a normal 40k game you would be correct. HOWEVER, this thread has had one proper axiom that has been working so far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OawrlVoQqSs

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
A

How many of the people we brought with us were killed/left behind when we entered?

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Brownview posted:

This and another recent comment from the OP has me wondering. So when insanity or corruption hits 100 do we suddenly become mustache-twirling evil? Do people perceive us as corrupted and/or we can't do pro-Imperium stuff? Like at 95 corruption we could be using those robo-Tyranid to help the war effort, but come 100 we feel compelled to turn them on what passes for innocents in this setting?

At that point we probably have bigger concerns.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Edit: nothing to see here.

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Feb 19, 2015

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.

Brownview posted:

Well corruption is basically how much we've soaked in radiation from what is essentially hell-in-space. At certain levels of corruption we start developing mutations of wildly varying levels of awful. While we have a few ways of dealing with the bad effects of those mutations, they start to stack up over time. If we actually reach the point of 100 corruption however, we cease to be anything close to human. At that point the character is a slavering monster of misplaced eyes, teeth, and tumors.

Insanity works on a similar scale, with each goal post stacking on mental quirks of varying severity. At the point of reaching 100 the character's myriad psychoses render them hopelessly incapable of functioning in any reasonable fashion. Essentially this would likely play out as a growing list of irrational obsessions and mania, ending in a severe psychotic break.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

What's the counselling like in 40k?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Anticheese posted:

There are uncounted billions upon billions of people in the galaxy ready to serve the Imperium.

Why waste too much time saving one?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Tomn posted:

There are uncounted billions upon billions of people in the galaxy ready to serve the Imperium.

Why waste too much time saving one?

Because he or she is one of the small percentage that actually matter. Like, a successful inquisition agent, or a noble, or a tech-priest, someone wealthy or influential.

Just not a peasant.

Brownview
Oct 15, 2012

Grognan posted:

At that point we probably have bigger concerns.

Sure, not trying to detract from the current action. Just idly wondering if evil is like a switch that gets flipped or we experience an inexorable but steady march, and imagining how that would play out in the narrative. The road to Chaos is paved with heretical superweaponry.

Lock and load. :getin:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Anticheese posted:

Like this, usually: :commissar:

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Brownview posted:

Sure, not trying to detract from the current action. Just idly wondering if evil is like a switch that gets flipped or we experience an inexorable but steady march, and imagining how that would play out in the narrative. The road to Chaos is paved with heretical superweaponry.

Lock and load. :getin:

I know in Dark Heresy every time you accrue 10 corruption points you have to roll a willpower test and if you fail it you pick up a malignancy which generally are stat reductions or roleplaying restrictions stuff like "Blackouts: the character suffers from inexplicable blackouts. When they occur and what happens during them is up to the GM." You can also pick up minor versions of the insanities you can get like Fell Obsession which is less creepy on the insanity track because on the corruption track you end up collecting like fingerbones or "carrying out meaningless vivisections"(haha like we don't already do that).

You generally pick up corruption by doing Not Good Things and learning forbidden stuff you really ought not learn! You'll pick it up directly from daemons or warp exposure too. Every 30 corruption you either willingly accept a minor mutation, a couple of which aren't actually that bad, or make a successful test on two different characteristics and take a major mutation if you fail one! These are also fun but for much different reasons :unsmigghh:

We'll start to go insane on the other side of things at 40, 60, and 80 in increasingly severe flavours.

But yeah with the way we play Ohone it's only a matter of time before she slips into chaos or goes batshit insane and claws her eyes out. :toot:

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Brownview posted:

As one of the other posters pointed out, in any other game Ohone would be a villain and those that cross her end up suffering for it. She's vindictive and manipulative and is willing to use her family, her religion and her Empire to further her personal ambitions.

What makes you think we aren't moustache twirling evil already? :getin:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Kegslayer posted:

As one of the other posters pointed out, in any other game Ohone would be a villain and those that cross her end up suffering for it. She's vindictive and manipulative and is willing to use her family, her religion and her Empire to further her personal ambitions.

What makes you think we aren't moustache twirling evil already? :getin:
Ohone isn't mustache-twirling evil because, as hosed up as the poo poo is that she gets up to, she still thinks it's right and good thing and she isn't doing it just for shits and giggles (usually).

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Most of the things we have done to earn those points have been in self defence or in defence of our ship and family. It's not like we have any great desire to battle Tyranids or go into the hive city they spawned from, we do it because we are on a mission for the Magos.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
Family home video night was pretty dickish but he deserved it for using child bombers

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Tran posted:

Well corruption is basically how much we've soaked in radiation from what is essentially hell-in-space. At certain levels of corruption we start developing mutations of wildly varying levels of awful. While we have a few ways of dealing with the bad effects of those mutations, they start to stack up over time. If we actually reach the point of 100 corruption however, we cease to be anything close to human. At that point the character is a slavering monster of misplaced eyes, teeth, and tumors.

Insanity works on a similar scale, with each goal post stacking on mental quirks of varying severity. At the point of reaching 100 the character's myriad psychoses render them hopelessly incapable of functioning in any reasonable fashion. Essentially this would likely play out as a growing list of irrational obsessions and mania, ending in a severe psychotic break.

If we hit 100 i get to break out the Black Crusade books :D Which means we get to start making deals with Chaos.

BC suggests you start out with good intentions (such as an IG who wants to reform things) but soon enough you are burning cities.

I expect the thread will really only worry about it if we get to 70+

Oasx posted:

How many of the people we brought with us were killed/left behind when we entered?

For simplcity's sake I left the Cadians outside, but you have the Kriegers, subsixers, and Nallani (~12 vehicles and their crew/dismounts)

Loel fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Feb 19, 2015

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

LowellDND posted:

If we hit 100 i get to break out the Black Crusade books :D Which means we get to start making deals with Chaos.

BC suggests you start out with good intentions (such as an IG who wants to reform things) but soon enough you are burning cities.

I expect the thread will really only worry about it if we get to 70+

I've lost track, what are our Corruption and Insanity levels right now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

jng2058 posted:

I've lost track, what are our Corruption and Insanity levels right now?

quote:

Fate: 3 (used 2)
Insanity: 27
Corruption: 14
Profit Factor: ~LOADSAMONEYhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ON-7v4qnHP8

All our stats, equipment and other useful character stuff are in the first two posts.