Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
According to learndb poisonous/freezing cloud are smite targetted as is haunt. That's a pretty wide range of spell schools that have options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Prism posted:

I feel there's probably a beam that doesn't decrease by number of enemies hit, too, but I can't remember which one.

Lightning doesn't IIRC

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
To me, Tomb is usually a matter of deciding if I want to use 90% of my consumables just to survive it in the vain hope that at least one piece of treasure in there is actually useful to me at that stage of the game.

It could definitely use a re-design, the other branches have recieved a pretty good updating so I hope tomb is on the list too. Making a branch that revolves around stair-dancing seems exactly like the kind of think the crawl devs wouldn't do nowerdays.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I would never try it cause I hardly ever have anyone survive to that point and would hate to risk them but would Potions of Lignification be workable in a non stair dancing assault on Tomb 3? This is assuming good randart jewelry (hopefully one of Sustain Abilites), weapon, and shield are equipped. Also some sort of ranged attack to deal with the bastards who won't walk up on ya'. Maybe also need a few full wands of heal wounds I guess.

Don't know. Seems like a good way to get killed. Tomb sucks.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Tomb would be much improved with spreading out the down-stairs on Tomb:3 instead of forcing you into the conga line of doom.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Powercrazy posted:

So I'm tooling around in Wizard mode with a Troll Monk of Jiyva. I set all my skills to 27 and my AC is only 42 and I'm wearing a shield of Resistance. I also gave myself all the good mutations (I'm a troll so it doesn't really disqualify my equipment choices that much). I've 'died' countless times to smiting enemies who literally fill the screen up with summons then are able to take away half my HP on every one of their turns.

How do you deal with them in the real game? I'm just trying to figure out the strategy for them. I'm not able to even hit them because of all their summons blocking them, and they can hit me for a SHITLOAD every turn, there is no mechanic to heal that damage in time, and I've tried scrolls of fog, and Invisibility and they make no difference at all.

This screenshot is completely typical.

The circled enemy type is responsible for 95% of the damage I take and as far as I can tell there is no way to hurt them. Am I really expected to stair dance and kill monsters 9 at a time, then heal, then go back down and wait for them to get 1 step closer and repeat? That seems extremely contrary to the design philosophy in Crawl and there is nothing nearly that tedious in Nethack since anything in that game that can hurt you, you can also hurt it, but there doesn't seem to be a player equivalent for smiting.

So given that I'm in Wizard Mode what equipment/spells should I have to make this beatable?

For a troll, specifically, large rocks and portal projectile are an excellent solution to this problem. It's also not at all unrealistic for a normal, non wizard mode troll to have access to that spell and the throwing skill to make large rocks really hurt. Portal projectile lets you smite target any ranged weapon and large rocks are the strongest ranged weapon. It's one of the best ways to kill mummy priests or greater mummies from behind their summons and chaff. For that troll, I would use portal projectile, silence and statue form for when the nasty stuff gets into melee range. You might well need to drop the GDA to make those spells happen, but GDA is usually not that great an idea to begin with because a little more EV and utility magic is almost always better.

The game expects you to have a ranged attack that can hit enemies from behind other enemies. It can be smite targeted missiles through portal projectile, javelins or bolts of penetration, one of the several smite targeted spells, or simply a normal, range limited bolt like the bolt spells, or bolts from wands or a rod of destruction. You can play through the entire game without a ranged attack, but doing so is making things much more difficult than they need to be.

If had the MR to stack, I might just wear it anyway. Regen+ is so good. I really don't like the " most artifacts have cripplingly bad properties" thing very much though. -Cast and -Tele especially seem much too common. Either they screw you out of using the artifact, or they make you swap equipment constantly, which is really tedious and annoying.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Powercrazy posted:

Ugh, is there a player equivalent spell that I can use to target specific enemies similar to smite/torment?

Seems like extremely bad design otherwise.

If it were just tomb that would be one thing, but apparently every single branch has enemies that do that. Orc/elf/shoals/slime/vault and I'm sure hell too.

Wtf crawl?

This is objectively not true. Enemies with smite targeted spells aren't very common in many places in the game. The threat smite poses to a midgame character isn't very high either, relatively to other stuff at least. Most smite enemies do a very low amount of damage. Also many spells that work like smite have gimmicks associated with them to increase their damage. Airstrike is smite targeted but usually does barely any damage unless you happen to be flying, for example.

Smite really isn't even the main threat in extended either; its torment cutting your HP in half. Smite is just what can end up finishing you off.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

nightwisher posted:

Crawl is trying it's best to kill me, don't worry about that. Walked face-first into Rupert whilst also stepping on a shadow trap.

I'd just like to say that being paralysed while a elven blademaster pummels you with two quickblades of draining causing me to be 0.0 skill in EVERYTHING is kinda bullshit, with rNeg++ too I should add. I didn't die but I don't see how I can un-gently caress this draining since I've cleared all the easy branches already and all that's left is stuff that'll loving murder me because of my skill loss.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Mygna posted:

Yes, and that player ghost appears to be so angry over it that it's decided to dualwield a battleaxe and a rapier in protest.

Ghost sprites do not and have never really made any sense. Don't think about it too hard.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

nightwisher posted:

I'd just like to say that being paralysed while a elven blademaster pummels you with two quickblades of draining causing me to be 0.0 skill in EVERYTHING is kinda bullshit, with rNeg++ too I should add. I didn't die but I don't see how I can un-gently caress this draining since I've cleared all the easy branches already and all that's left is stuff that'll loving murder me because of my skill loss.

Go back to D:1 and start over :haw:

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Playing an FeBe makes me appreciate how useful wands of random effects are as a substitute for throwing rocks and grabbing an monster's attention. Sure, occasionally I might accidentally haste or polymorph the enemy and make them more dangerous but that's why I stay on the edge of LOS!

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Speleothing posted:

Go back to D:1 and start over :haw:

I basically did this :haw:

Once I got my skills back I went back down to Elf:3 and murdered that blademaster like a butt!!!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Can Of Worms posted:

Playing an FeBe makes me appreciate how useful wands of random effects are as a substitute for throwing rocks and grabbing an monster's attention. Sure, occasionally I might accidentally haste or polymorph the enemy and make them more dangerous but that's why I stay on the edge of LOS!
Random Effects is kind of like using a chaos weapon: most of the time it's beneficial, it's just the 1% of other times that will murder you instead.

In other news, I've had my first actively malevolent trove. Not just disappointing, that would imply that it had items that were merely boring:
code:
109488 | Trove    | Entered a treasure trove
109510 | Trove    | Got a jewelled helmet
109521 | Trove    | Identified the +0 helmet "Skaonoimn" {Str+4 Stlth+} (You found it in a treasure trove)
109529 | Trove    | Got a faintly glowing cloak
109540 | Trove    | Identified the -5 cloak of Proximity {rC+ Str+3 Dex-4} (You found it in a treasure trove)
109548 | Trove    | Got a twisted cloak
109554 | Trove    | Identified the -4 cloak "Stratiolo" {MR+} (You found it in a treasure trove)
109563 | Trove    | Got a smoking cloak
109569 | Trove    | Identified the +0 cloak of Elyvilon's Benevolence {-Cast rF++ Dex+3} (You found it in a treasure trove)
109603 | Trove    | Got a distressingly furry ring mail
109604 | Trove    | Identified the +1 ring mail of Hopscotch {rC- Str+5 Int+5} (You found it in a treasure trove)
109609 | Trove    | Got a smoking helmet
109610 | Trove    | Identified the -5 helmet "Schiapuc" {Stlth+} (You found it in a treasure trove)
109612 | Trove    | WHY IS EVERYTHING SUPER BAD ENCHANTS
109615 | Trove    | Got a bloodstained buckler
109616 | Trove    | Identified the -1 buckler "Lolysejil" {rPois rCorr Str-5 Dex+2} (You found it in a treasure trove)
109619 | Trove    | Got an encrusted fire dragon armour
109620 | Trove    | Identified the +6 fire dragon armour of Philately {Contam rF++ rC- rN+ Regen+} (You found it in a treasure trove)
Why. :negative: The only two passible things were inferior to stuff I already had.

I'm not sure if the "spam negative properties/horrid enchants along side good properties" is meant to be ~interesting~(a commit comment when the artgen changes started suggested that, but so much has changed that I'm not sure what the intent is anymore), but it's really just annoying as gently caress.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Stamp collecting implies magical contamination? :crossarms:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Clearly the dragon armor is covered in stamps, and the fumes from the stamp glue residue are magical. Somehow. :pseudo:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
switch to trog and wear the cloak (...probably not even worth losing the AC if you already have rF+ but hey!)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
I'm a Demigod(who's casting as primary offense), so I can't even do that as a joke. :v:

"Elyvilon's Benevolence...for a completely different character."

Jyppe
Jun 13, 2007
For the Fireman!
Why can you have two timed portals on a single level? Seems pretty dumb. (Neither was a mimic)

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
code:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.16-a0-4024-g0ecf4ac (tiles) character file.

Saruic the Slayer (Minotaur Hunter)                Turns: 69875, Time: 03:54:57

Health: 245/245    AC: 41    Str: 24    XL:     25   Next: 54%
Magic:  46/52      EV: 19    Int: 12    God:    Okawaru [*****.]
Gold:   4338       SH:  0    Dex: 13    Spells: 0 memorised, 24 levels left

rFire  + + +     SeeInvis .     Z - +3 triple sword {slice, *Rage rF+ rC+ rN+ MP+9}
rCold  + + +     Clarity  +     F - +9 armour of the Dragon King {rPois rF+ rC+ MR+}
rNeg   + . .     SustAb   .     (no shield)
rPois  +         Gourm    .     B - +2 hat {MR+}
rElec  +         Spirit   .     N - +0 cloak of Duck's Teeth {+Blink rElec rF+ MR+ Dex-3}
rCorr  .         Warding  .     d - +0 pair of gloves of Mnidakiyq {rC++ MP+9} (curse)
rMut   .         Stasis   .     h - +2 pair of boots
MR     ++++.                    e - amulet of clarity
Stlth  ..........               v - ring of Suspicion {Int+4 Slay+3 Stlth+}
                                i - ring of Shaolin {EV+8}

@: studying Crossbows, incredibly resistant to hostile enchantments, extremely
unstealthy
A: retaliatory headbutt, horns 2
a: Heroism, Finesse, Renounce Religion, Evoke Blink
}: 3/15 runes: serpentine, barnacled, silver

68818 | Depths:5 | Noticed Mennas
68818 | Depths:5 | Noticed Jorgrun
68819 | Depths:5 | Noticed Xtahua
68824 | Depths:5 | Killed Jorgrun
68826 | Depths:5 | Killed Mennas
68827 | Depths:5 | Killed Xtahua

:getin: Crawl keeps throwing more and more bullshit my way but it melts in the face of sheer death. Time to ditch Oka and switch to TSO or Makhleb, or comedy Ru option.

nightwisher fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Feb 19, 2015

Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug
Buff everything in tomb, especially greater mummies and mummy priests, and then make all the enemies really rare so tomb is the dead people branch, and the mini-boss branch. Buff death curses. And uhh also you can't abjure mummy summons.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Give Tomb the Hell effects.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

My best caster ever had a spider wander over a shadowtrap and got gangbanged by 100 spiders >:[

edit: Here is a cool fix. When the trap gets triggered, for one turn you see ghosty whispy outlines of the monsters that are coming. Then the next turn they get less see through, then from the next turn they appear!!

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Pitch posted:

Once you've found yourself surrounded by an entire screen full of mummies killing them all won't even help, as that one recording of shattering tomb 3 illustrates.

shattering Tomb 3 is actually really good, and fun.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
code:
12448315 cheetah7071 the Skullcrusher (level 27, 273/273 HPs)
             Began as a Minotaur Fighter on Feb 17, 2015.
             Was the Champion of the Shining One.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 15 runes on Feb 19, 2015!

The game lasted 08:48:15 (129764 turns).
Ain't no thing.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Heithinn Grasida posted:

If had the MR to stack, I might just wear it anyway. Regen+ is so good. I really don't like the " most artifacts have cripplingly bad properties" thing very much though. -Cast and -Tele especially seem much too common. Either they screw you out of using the artifact, or they make you swap equipment constantly, which is really tedious and annoying.

Yeah, I found the Ring of the Wizard on the next level of the zig so I put the armour on immediately.

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

code:
12448315 cheetah7071 the Skullcrusher (level 27, 273/273 HPs)
             Began as a Minotaur Fighter on Feb 17, 2015.
             Was the Champion of the Shining One.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 15 runes on Feb 19, 2015!

The game lasted 08:48:15 (129764 turns).
Ain't no thing.

:golfclap:

Was that your first 15 runer, and what was your gear like?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Second. I actually took TSO in an early D:1 altar, it wasn't an extended swap.

code:
Hand weapons
 l - a +9 sacred scourge of holy wrath
Missiles
 B - 9 javelins
 I - 5 throwing nets
 O - 5 steel javelins
Armour
 m - a +2 pair of boots of running (worn)
 q - the +9 armour of the Dragon King (worn) {rPois rF+ rC+ MR+}
 u - a +2 cloak of magic resistance (worn)
 y - the +3 pair of gauntlets of War (worn) {Slay+5}
 N - a +2 hat (worn)
 Z - a +6 large shield of cold resistance (worn)
Jewellery
 g - the ring "Smuah" {rElec MR+ Str+3 Int+2}
 o - a +5 ring of protection (left hand)
 v - the amulet of the Four Winds (around neck) {Clar rN+ MR+++}
 P - the ring of Duubb (right hand) {rPois rF++ Int-2 Slay+2}

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Powercrazy posted:

The circled enemy type is responsible for 95% of the damage I take and as far as I can tell there is no way to hurt them. Am I really expected to stair dance and kill monsters 9 at a time, then heal, then go back down and wait for them to get 1 step closer and repeat?
Yes.

Tomb kinda blows! I don't do it without lichform anymore, not because you need lichform but because it's so loving annoying without it.

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

Second. I actually took TSO in an early D:1 altar, it wasn't an extended swap.

code:
Hand weapons
 l - a +9 sacred scourge of holy wrath
Missiles
 B - 9 javelins
 I - 5 throwing nets
 O - 5 steel javelins
Armour
 m - a +2 pair of boots of running (worn)
 q - the +9 armour of the Dragon King (worn) {rPois rF+ rC+ MR+}
 u - a +2 cloak of magic resistance (worn)
 y - the +3 pair of gauntlets of War (worn) {Slay+5}
 N - a +2 hat (worn)
 Z - a +6 large shield of cold resistance (worn)
Jewellery
 g - the ring "Smuah" {rElec MR+ Str+3 Int+2}
 o - a +5 ring of protection (left hand)
 v - the amulet of the Four Winds (around neck) {Clar rN+ MR+++}
 P - the ring of Duubb (right hand) {rPois rF++ Int-2 Slay+2}

armour of the dragon king is so good. My only 15 rune run ever was a MDFi wayyy back and he found one of those on like d:8. Four Winds is also bananas, basically any run I do where I find it I use it.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Stoat posted:

edit: Here is a cool fix. When the trap gets triggered, for one turn you see ghosty whispy outlines of the monsters that are coming. Then the next turn they get less see through, then from the next turn they appear!!

Better fix: Don't let monsters trigger shadow traps. It's already interesting enough when the player steps on one, and it shouldn't be scarier to see a shadow trap on the ground over a Zot trap when a monster is walking towards it.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I still really like the idea of one-time Word of Recall traps with a short timer before the enemies appear like when convokers do it.

Is natasha supposed to be able to appear repeatedly so close each time?

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Feb 19, 2015

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Gell's Gravitas might've been worth it if it was castable on empty space, smite-targeted, or both. As is, what the hell is this crap.

Also, are they going to get rid of the XP penalty for kills via summoned monster any time soon?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Doubtful, it's a decent trade-off for keeping you out of harm's way. If you want more, be a leader.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Feature request: XP penalty for killing monsters with ranged spells or weapons, given that you're keeping yourself out of harm's way.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders
Didn't summoning get pretty massive nerfs? My memory's a little fuzzy but there was a time mummies summoned indiscriminately as long as they could channel with Sif, and now after a certain number of summons based on the spell one of your previous summons gets its duration reduced. Was there a tradeoff to getting # of summons soft-capped or was that it?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
The tradeoff is that playing a summoning-heavy character doesn't make you want to kill yourself anymore.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

apple posted:

Didn't summoning get pretty massive nerfs? My memory's a little fuzzy but there was a time mummies summoned indiscriminately as long as they could channel with Sif, and now after a certain number of summons based on the spell one of your previous summons gets its duration reduced. Was there a tradeoff to getting # of summons soft-capped or was that it?

Yeah, that's what gets me. Each spell now has a cap on how many creatures it can sustain and summons only attack stuff if both the summon and the target are in line of sight. If this is still supposed to be OP compared to every other conceivable means of killing monsters, why not actually bring it into line rather than slapping you on the wrist for doing it?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
God dammit I really need to stop confusing robes for cloaks in shops.

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

apple posted:

Was there a tradeoff to getting # of summons soft-capped or was that it?
The tradeoff is that they buffed a lot of old spells (Call Canine Familiar never summons a jackal anymore, Summon Ice Beast now scales their HD with spellpower to increase their HP and cold damage, Summon Dragon is now Dragon's Call, etc) and they introduced a lot of cool new spells (Lightning Spire, Monstrous Menagerie, Mana Viper, etc).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
The early summoning spells are really lame and painful to raise up now to the point where I consider Summoner not a good starting background.

That being said, the mid-range to high-end Summonings (let's say from Ice Beast onwards) are still really good. I almost transition into them if I'm a hybrid or caster character if I manage to find the spellbooks with those.

Transition is the key-word here because you want to try to minimize the effect of the XP loss as much as you can, and it's much better to have some other attack option on hand already and then go into Summonings rather than trying to eek out an alternative fighting method with 50% XP.

• Locked thread