Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

mcmagic posted:

Mary Burke was a good, non offensive, candidate. The electorate is just poo poo.

From what people have said in here a week ago, the Wisconsin Democrats really suffered when they decided to orient purely around Milwaukee and Madison, or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

GG Tucker.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Doesn't this happen every year?

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Their lack of pattern recognition borders on the insane.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Talmonis posted:

log cabin republicans are thr charlie brown to cpac's lucy

next year they may get to kick the football, itll be different, just you wait and see!!!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Talmonis posted:

Are you kidding? When else would anyone write about an organization with no constituency? They need CPAC to reject them every year to be relevant.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
Unindicted co-conspirator James Clapper would like to see more efficacious use of lie detector tests to prevent intelligence leaks. No word yet on their viability for screening information reported to Congress.

http://fas.org/blogs/secrecy/2015/02/icpg-polygraph/

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

It's probably just me but I always feel a bit uncomfortable dismantling the Reagan personality mythos. Which is not to say his administration wasn't complete poo poo, objectively terrible by pretty much any measure but the cold war is over, Nancy is dead, information has been declassified, it's time to be honest, Reagan was severely mental ill, incapacitated, in and out of lucidity when he wasn't cuckoo for cocoa puffs crazy, at his most together moments he was making decisions on the advice of an astrologer.

I much as I find it tempting to blame Reagan for a terrible administration when he is personally deified by the right, the truth is I don't think he personally doesn't deserve any more blame than he does false credit when we were probably pretty lucky that the guy didn't start disrobing and babbling about space aliens during press conferences.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Pope Guilty posted:

Maybe he's a *gasp* conservative and wants conservative outcomes? Don't look so shocked!

Stop excusing mental illness for conservative faculties. The only intellectual conservative is George Will and he will soon be dead.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Nonsense posted:

intellectual conservative

Excellent name/post combo. Seriously, what is an intellectual conservative? Because if it's merely a borderline-intelligent right-winger, there's a lot more of them, primarily identifying as libertarians and/or actively destroying our planet.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Fried Chicken posted:

The press could really try to inform you by doing investigative pieces into the informal networks of interests driving issues in this country but they don't want to do that; it takes too long. They could report on stuff like how Walker has set up a 527 instead of a PAC and what that means but that could piss off some important people and cost them access (both for interviews and for cushy events). They could focus on state and city level reporting that has been dying since 1995 but then they have to actually travel to those places and they don't want to.

Journalism in general has been in a death spiral for the past 20 years but the death of statehouse and city beats carried by local print outfits has been especially bad. State and local government gets absolutely no coverage and that's how we end up with unchecked police abuse and absurd ALEC cut-and-paste model bills getting rammed through legislatures in the dead of night.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Nonsense posted:

Stop excusing mental illness for conservative faculties. The only intellectual conservative is George Will and he will soon be dead.

Rob Dreher (when he isn't far mongering over the Daesh), Daniel Larison, Gracy Olmstead. Albeit they are certainly on the outside of the movement,, so you might not count them.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Feb 19, 2015

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Wah wah why don't these rich FYGM conservatives who hate gays let us into their club? We're rich and FYGM too!

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Last year they were allowed

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cliff Racer posted:

Because most illegal immigrants are poor and can put a strain on social services, many facilitate wealth leaving the country through remittances, people shouldn't be rewarded for breaking the law, illegal immigration gives increased political power to groups that 1) disagree with me and 2) are centered in parts of the country where I don't live (so southwest versus northeast,) among a lot of other "conservative" reasons. Here's a liberal one for you though. This Latin American-centric idea of granting amnesty every other decade disadvantages people who want to move here just as much and have better qualifications yet were unlucky enough to be born in, say, India or Vietnam. I want real immigration reform, including a vastly increased amount of legal immigration, but I'm not at all in favor of the "come in and hide for awhile" situation we currently seem to have.

Having more people spending more money in a service based economy is good, having more people paying taxes is also good. Why do you hate capitalism?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

How does illegal immigration confer political power?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

zoux posted:

How does illegal immigration confer political power?

Because it makes politicians possibly acknowledge their humanity, a dangerous precedent for people opposed to illegal immigration as Cliff Racer claims to be.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think he's hinting at that old canard that illegal immigrants vote.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Except armed immigration into Palestine. That's right and proper and ordained by god.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

zoux posted:

I bet he thinks there aren't any who were literal business owners in Mexico who moved their entire business over to the States to escape cartel-bullshit.

They're all 'strains on social services' like the DMV, and making the line at the Post Office maybe a bit longer.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nonsense posted:

I bet he thinks there aren't any who were literal business owners in Mexico who moved their entire business over to the States to escape cartel-bullshit.

They're all 'strains on social services' like the DMV, and making the line at the Post Office maybe a bit longer.

Don't forget the heinous burden of pressing one for english :negative:

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

zoux posted:

Nah, I think he's making the claim that if they're treated like human beings and/or allowed to naturalize with amnesty, they'll vote for Democrats. Which is a curious claim...why oh why would they just vote for Democrats? They otherwise seem like a perfect fit for the conservative message; they're hard working, blue collar, socially conservative...what is it that makes them different one might ask?

Venom Snake posted:

Having more people spending more money in a service based economy is good, having more people paying taxes is also good. Why do you hate capitalism?

On the more charitible argument side, one can be very reasonably wary of an influx of cheap labor driving down wages and increasing competition for what few blue collar jobs are left. Not that this is the typical concern of the GOP, they love globalization.

Talmonis fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Feb 19, 2015

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Nonsense posted:

Oh no! I might have to wait in line with non whites. The horror.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Or take our farming and landscaping jerbs! :bahgawd:

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Nonsense posted:

The guy still facing a lot of pushback for his "being a rape victim is a coveted status on campus" column and who went onto Fox to talk about how ebola can spread through the air?

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Feb 19, 2015

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Seeing this posted all over Twitter

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

That is some lazy design.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

ReidRansom posted:

That is some lazy design.

Everything about it sucks

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Remember when that State Dept. spokesman said "We can't kill our way out of this" and then that made super mad because they really really want to kill our way out of this?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

zoux posted:

Don't forget the heinous burden of pressing one for english :negative:

Has anyone anywhere ever encountered this? Every automated system is english 100% of the time, and then for half a second, "press 9 for Spanish" then it continues in English.

I mean, it's peak shit_that_didnt_happen.txt, but it seems so plainly disprovable to average people who actually wait in phone queues to actually hear.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Everblight posted:

Has anyone anywhere ever encountered this? Every automated system is english 100% of the time, and then for half a second, "press 9 for Spanish" then it continues in English.

I mean, it's peak shit_that_didnt_happen.txt, but it seems so plainly disprovable to average people who actually wait in phone queues to actually hear.

They press one for english with long fake nails they paid for with food stamps on their obama phones while trying to keep the extra kids they had to get more welfare money quiet, as I understand it.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

i had this roommate who insisted that the only reason he hadn't been murdered by someone was because of high levels of civilian gun ownership. no particular examples, just a nagging feeling he could never really substantiate

he also believed the japanese were on the verge of invading the continental US during WW2 but were dissuaded by yamamoto saying too many americans were armed (and didn't believe me when i tried to prove that quote was fabricated). one night when the religious center next door was celebrating some holiday with a bunch of fireworks on a random weeknight he came into my room with pistol in hand and advised me to get away from the windows. he had a deep, seething distrust of minorities and refused to walk half a mile to the center of town because he might get robbed (average home price in the area: $650k)

as you can imagine, he had terrible luck with women. i took him to a party once and he hit on, and was rejected by, every single one of my female friends in rapid succession, and you could tell who he thought was most attractive in descending order based on who he awkwardly hit on first

one night he managed to break both my washer and dryer by first washing his muddy boots without removing the mud first, then just tossing the hiking boots into the dryer which made a ridiculous racket and also burned out the motor before i could tell him to knock it off. i would think it was passive aggressive revenge but he also ruined his expensive brand new boots

anyway that's the kind of person i think of when i see this image, god bless and thank you for reading my story

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Everblight posted:

This is liberal hair-splitting! Pizza Patron accepts PESOS!!

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Popular Thug Drink posted:

i had this roommate who insisted that the only reason he hadn't been murdered by someone was because of high levels of civilian gun ownership. no particular examples, just a nagging feeling he could never really substantiate

he also believed the japanese were on the verge of invading the continental US during WW2 but were dissuaded by yamamoto saying too many americans were armed (and didn't believe me when i tried to prove that quote was fabricated). one night when the religious center next door was celebrating some holiday with a bunch of fireworks on a random weeknight he came into my room with pistol in hand and advised me to get away from the windows. he had a deep, seething distrust of minorities and refused to walk half a mile to the center of town because he might get robbed (average home price in the area: $650k)

as you can imagine, he had terrible luck with women. i took him to a party once and he hit on, and was rejected by, every single one of my female friends in rapid succession, and you could tell who he thought was most attractive in descending order based on who he awkwardly hit on first

one night he managed to break both my washer and dryer by first washing his muddy boots without removing the mud first, then just tossing the hiking boots into the dryer which made a ridiculous racket and also burned out the motor before i could tell him to knock it off. i would think it was passive aggressive revenge but he also ruined his expensive brand new boots

anyway that's the kind of person i think of when i see this image, god bless and thank you for reading my story

One of the main benefits of being a minority is that people like this tend to avoid you. It's the little things in life that you've got to look forward to.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

zoux posted:

They press one for english with long fake nails they paid for with food stamps on their obama phones while trying to keep the extra kids they had to get more welfare money quiet, as I understand it.

While driving their cadi.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
I just want to leave this screenshot here as well as the awful kickstarters thread from the "Milennials for Jeb!" kickstarter:

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

DemeaninDemon posted:

While driving their cadi.

Have to be more specific, it's always an Escalade. And "leased of course".

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Three Olives posted:

It's probably just me but I always feel a bit uncomfortable dismantling the Reagan personality mythos. Which is not to say his administration wasn't complete poo poo, objectively terrible by pretty much any measure but the cold war is over, Nancy is dead, information has been declassified, it's time to be honest, Reagan was severely mental ill, incapacitated, in and out of lucidity when he wasn't cuckoo for cocoa puffs crazy, at his most together moments he was making decisions on the advice of an astrologer.

I much as I find it tempting to blame Reagan for a terrible administration when he is personally deified by the right, the truth is I don't think he personally doesn't deserve any more blame than he does false credit when we were probably pretty lucky that the guy didn't start disrobing and babbling about space aliens during press conferences.

Would it be fair to say that Reagan was more mentally incapable than Nixon was at the height of the Watergate pressure?

pathetic little tramp posted:

I just want to leave this screenshot here as well as the awful kickstarters thread from the "Milennials for Jeb!" kickstarter:

Of loving course it's flexible funding.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The Aardvark posted:

Or take our farming and landscaping jerbs! :bahgawd:

Hasn't one of the East Coast states (I think Georgia?) started suffering agriculturally because they put up more restrictive anti-illegal laws and began deporting illegal immigrants and now their farms are lying fallow because their agriculture relied on illegal immigrants to take the jobs that white people wouldn't?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Everblight posted:

Yeah, I call a lot of places with automated phone systems for my job and it's not uncommon to get "press 1 to continue in English." However, it does not result in me dying or being driven into a frothing rage. I guess I'm a bad American!

• Locked thread