Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Sex Robot posted:

I'm just thinking out loud here and taking things to a dumb conclusion, but how could this play out if Punk just turned around and said "that was all kayfabe"

Ah, the Snuka defense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

Sex Robot posted:

I'm just thinking out loud here and taking things to a dumb conclusion, but how could this play out if Punk just turned around and said "that was all kayfabe" as there have been numerous instances of real life gently caress ups being incorporated into kayfabe and things people thought were kayfabe turned out to be real.

How could a court react to an industry that goes "this time last year I stood in front of an audience and purported to talk about corruption in the locker room but that was all a work, so is this"

Well, I remember someone talking about how it was much easier to suffer through the hardships of MMA training when you're poor, since you feel like it's something you need to be doing just to stay afloat. So, in that case, I would say that it would very much enhance CM Punk's MMA ability.

Anyway, that defense is problematic for a couple of reasons:

1. You are admitting that you did lie.

2. The law doesn't quite work that way, because unless Dr. Amann was in on it, and consented, you can't really escape liability.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Ah, the Snuka defense.

He's gonna pretend like he can't speak English?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

SamuraiFoochs posted:

This is how I feel too. I have a really incredibly hard time believing they'd let Amann sue as a WWE employee if they didn't think they had a solid case.

On the other hand, maybe WWE figures that a best case scenario is that Amann wins and Punk is discredited, and a worst case scenario is that Amann loses and WWE throws him under the bus and claims it was his individual action/choice to sue.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Jerusalem posted:

On the other hand, maybe WWE figures that a best case scenario is that Amann wins and Punk is discredited, and a worst case scenario is that Amann loses and WWE throws him under the bus and claims it was his individual action/choice to sue.

Yeah, I don't think WWE is in as bad a position as people think from this lawsuit. If Punk's claims have merit and were provably true and Amann's case gets thrown out of court they can just fire his rear end and get another doctor, and then make a big deal about improving the health care available to their talent (somewhat similar to the improvements to their drug/wellness policy following the deaths of Eddie and Benoit). If Amann wins his case, now they've thrown some mud onto Punk's claims which is something they want to do. It still has more cons than pros for them, but I think it's more a -5 to their reputation than a -10, if that makes sense.

Amann is going to have basically no problem proving most parts of the slander/libel case, so it's ultimately going to come down to proving Punk was lying (which will be what he has to do legally, Punk doesn't have to prove he was telling the truth. The burden of proof is on the person suing). I'd like to think that he has that proof in hand before deciding to sue, but I can just as easily see him being riled up by the podcast and making an emotional decision to try to defend his good name. From what I can recall off the top of my head, Punk's negative comments about Amann were:

1. lovely doctor (can't really go after him for that, so let's ignore it).
2. Prescribed a bunch of Z-packs to treat Punk's MRSA lump (should be a paper trail here if he did it, I imagine it'll be an argument along the lines of prescribing Z-packs but not knowing about the lump, which is probably he said/he said territory and I think goes in Punk's favor if that's the case)
3. Bad concussion testing (He said/he said unless there's witnesses, Punk is in the worse position here because his memory following a concussion will inherently be thrown into question and Amann likely has witnesses who will back whatever his version of things is)

Anyway, I'm fairly positive Amann is looking for a quick settlement from Punk, and I'm also fairly positive Punk won't be looking to settle anything, so here's hoping we get a glorious trial out of all this.

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
Really interested to see how Otunga is going to go after Punk

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

If they're not doing the Bryan/Ziggler program at Wrestlemania, why wouldn't they have Ziggler/Rollins just have an awesome match?

For that matter, just dump Reigns out of the main event and have him and Rollins blow off their rivalry at WM. Ziggler can, uh, be in the battle royal that'll be very important.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

GrimGypsy posted:

If they're not doing the Bryan/Ziggler program at Wrestlemania, why wouldn't they have Ziggler/Rollins just have an awesome match?

For that matter, just dump Reigns out of the main event and have him and Rollins blow off their rivalry at WM. Ziggler can, uh, be in the battle royal that'll be very important.

counterpoint: how does this keep reigns strong

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

GrimGypsy posted:

Orton's coming back and it seems they're going to run with the Orton/Rollins match they built up before Orton left for the movie.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

NowonSA posted:

Anyway, I'm fairly positive Amann is looking for a quick settlement from Punk, and I'm also fairly positive Punk won't be looking to settle anything, so here's hoping we get a glorious trial out of all this.

I guess I'm the only one who has literally no interest following a long, drawn-out legal drama? The medical care was/is likely not ideal but I'd be shocked if Punk didn't embellish at all in any way (mostly BECAUSE Amann is bringing suit, and you brought the possibility of an emotional decision up but I doubt that when the podcast came out several months ago), and I'm kind of sick of talking about Punk, tbh. He was a great wrestleman who quite possibly got treated like poo poo but can also be happily retired with piles of money and a UFC pipe dream. It makes me sad that he'll never return, but he won't, and good on him for getting to a happier, healthier place.

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

oatgan posted:

CM Sucks

it was either the week before or the week after the grocery store but Stone Cold chased Booker T into a church during bingo night and at some point Booker T hid in a confessional and took confessions from parishioners

I need a link to this on youtube immediately and i don't give a hoot about all the amateur law discussion going on here.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
The WWE once decided to use the WWF name and brand in ways that they had legally agreed not to because they thought they could get around that little problem of a completely other company already owning the rights to it all.

I mean they are sometimes surprisingly savvy and sometimes surprisingly daft when it comes to legal decisions, is all I'm saying. I wouldn't say that Amann is covered just because he's a WWE employee.

Dr. Dirt
Jan 1, 2008

This one goes out to all the Legomaniacs!
Whenever the subject of lawyers in wrestling comes up, I remember the lawyers that Steen used to get his job with ROH back. I wonder if he kept their details.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Punk'll probably walk it so long as he actually did have MRSA, which I have no doubt that he did.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
So Colt is only getting sued because he gave CM Punk the place to talk about right? I don't remember Colt ever making GBS threads on the doctor himself just being grossed out and shocked by what Punk was saying.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

KungFu Grip posted:

So Colt is only getting sued because he gave CM Punk the place to talk about right? I don't remember Colt ever making GBS threads on the doctor himself just being grossed out and shocked by what Punk was saying.

You can't just stand idly by and profit off of defamation without posting a retraction or correction.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

Proving Punk's statements were false sounds hard but possible; proving Cabana knew that they were false sounds impossible.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

So if I theoretically had a free ticket to the show, and I haven't kept up with wresting in like 4 years, would it be worth going to this show?

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

You can't just stand idly by and profit off of defamation without posting a retraction or correction.

Isn't the Art of Wrestling a free podcast that even then had thousands of people not even able to go to Colt's source of ad revenue to listen too? Do the verbal plugs count that he mentions?

JDGreat
Jan 26, 2015
Hi there guys, nice to meet you all. Hope I'm not being too old with this, but...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PknxpsLf0BU

This kinda gave me a chuckle, so I thought we needed some more laughs round here v:shobon:v

Mystery Opponent
Sep 27, 2006

but u was a real nigga
i could sense it in u

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

I need a link to this on youtube immediately and i don't give a hoot about all the amateur law discussion going on here.

Sir Jebus
Feb 9, 2010

The only hero left for man is weed.

Shadow225 posted:

So if I theoretically had a free ticket to the show, and I haven't kept up with wresting in like 4 years, would it be worth going to this show?

Depends on the show. If its Raw next week, probably, because they'll hopefully be setting up all the storylines for Mania, including the possible Taker match.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

i got your back jack

pt 1: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2u1ln_austin-and-booker-t-in-church-part_fun
pt 2: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2u1os_austin-and-booker-t-in-church-part_fun
pt 3: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2u1qs_austin-and-booker-t-in-church-part_fun

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

NickRoweFillea posted:

counterpoint: how does this keep reigns strong

Everybody jokes about this, but losing to Big Show and not being able to pin loving Kane is pretty much the opposite of "keeping Reigns strong"

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Benne posted:

Everybody jokes about this, but losing to Big Show and not being able to pin loving Kane is pretty much the opposite of "keeping Reigns strong"

The joke still works because the original context was Reigns being kept strong by teaming with two other guys against one guy and still losing

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Sir Jebus posted:

Depends on the show. If its Raw next week, probably, because they'll hopefully be setting up all the storylines for Mania, including the possible Taker match.

It's Fastlane.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Shadow225 posted:

It's Fastlane.

Yeah, the answer's pretty much always yes if it's a pay per view. PPVs are a lot of fun.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Wwe is really bad and I hope cm punk wins the lawsuit.

HOT! New Memes
May 31, 2006

It will get good if wrestlers get called in as witnesses and need to testify against the wwe

HOT! New Memes fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Feb 20, 2015

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

pretty sure cm punk had nothing to lose when making those claims. If he really did have an MRSA infection and the doctor said nothing but offer z paks than that is negligence on the medical professional level.

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011

KungFu Grip posted:

Isn't the Art of Wrestling a free podcast that even then had thousands of people not even able to go to Colt's source of ad revenue to listen too? Do the verbal plugs count that he mentions?

Wasn't one of the sponsors the WWE videogame?

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

Anime Curator posted:

pretty sure cm punk had nothing to lose when making those claims. If he really did have an MRSA infection and the doctor said nothing but offer z paks than that is negligence on the medical professional level.

The rumour is that the case claims not so much that doc only offered z-packs but that punk grossly exaggerated the lump size/ how much he saw doc in the first place, much harder things to track and document that prescribed medication.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Sex Robot posted:

The rumour is that the case claims not so much that doc only offered z-packs but that punk grossly exaggerated the lump size/ how much he saw doc in the first place, much harder things to track and document that prescribed medication.

Well the other doctor would be able to verify the size of the thing, but would WWE have kept track of how often Punk visited their doctor? Even so, what was discussed between them would certainly be a he said/he said situation.

Mystery Opponent
Sep 27, 2006

but u was a real nigga
i could sense it in u
I assume that Amman keeps medical records (he wouldn't sue if he didn't) and in that case he won't have much trouble proving that Punk lied.

Punk's claims about his medical treatment always sounded fishy to me, Chris Amann was the US olympic team doctor and would know how to diagnose a MRSA.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

CM Punk once refused to cooperate with multiple 5'0" police officers and made them run away, and he told nothing but the truth on Colt Cabana's podcast.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Shadow225 posted:

If you are asking, then you are somewhat interested in it. So why not? If you don't have much else going on, then what have you got to lose?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Mystery Opponent posted:

I assume that Amman keeps medical records (he wouldn't sue if he didn't) and in that case he won't have much trouble proving that Punk lied.

Punk's claims about his medical treatment always sounded fishy to me, Chris Amann was the US olympic team doctor and would know how to diagnose a MRSA.

Wasn't it less that he didn't know how to treat it and more that they just didn't particularly care. This is the WWE after all. I remember afterwards where Meltzer talked about how the locker room was divided between people who are glad Punk spoke about something they've all been through and others who take it that working injured is just part of the job.

However. If Amman is being dishonest and the WWE are keeping false medical records, then can that stuff really stand up? Take the concussion testing. Say they know he's concussed but they pass him anyway, and then write a report to say that he's passed, can that report be taken as gospel?

Mystery Opponent
Sep 27, 2006

but u was a real nigga
i could sense it in u
MRSA is a potentially life threatening condition, if Amann had diagnosed it he would've also treated it. Medical records can obviously be falsified, I just have a hard time believing that someone with Amann's reputation would've done that, not to mention suing someone while using said false records as evidence.

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...
Cm punk lied because he is poopy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

he lied about the ice cream bars

• Locked thread