Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
If you don't mind me asking, do you have a career related to your degree now? Also, thanks for the reassurance, I have next to zero proficiency on piano, and my theory is pretty poor right now since I've been focused on the performance aspect with the limited time I've had. Thankfully the school I'll be going to, if I pass the audition, allows me to take a theory summer course if I fail the proficiency test on it, and there's a first year piano course for those who don't have the minimum standard on it.

I'll try recording the piece I'm auditioning with once I have more practice on it later in the month if anyone would be alright with listening to it and giving a brutally honest critique on it. The one thing I know I need to work on the most is double tonguing, as the first little 4 eighth note run pretty much needs to be double tongued when playing at 120 BPM in cut time. Well, I say work on but I can't even double tongue at all right now, except maybe on eight notes at 60-90 BPM on one note. Any tips on practicing it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

I don't, I'm in IT now. I was pursuing a music education degree, but I started questioning it when I went out to observe band directors. They spend so little of their time on music and most of their time on paperwork, school politics, parents, etc. Plus, I didn't want to teach middle school or elementary, only high school. When I thought about how there's like 500 new music ed graduates for every 1 band director retiree, and I was facing several semesters of methods classes grading largely on your ability to organize a stupid binder, I decided to take another direction. I changed majors to BM: Elective Studies, which is a music degree my school offered that included a lot of course work in an outside field (computer science in my case).

I still play quite a bit. I have a brass quintet and a big band, both of which I direct, and I play in a community orchestra - just played the first movement of the Hummel trumpet concerto with them in the fall. Talk about nerve wracking. The extent of my professional playing career though is limited to church gigs and musicals. I'm fine with it - I'm successful in my career and it allows me to fund my hardcore music hobby. I'm glad I have a degree in music even though it's not my career, and I wouldn't want to have done it any differently.

As for double-tonguing, do you have the Arban's? That would be the first step. I remember just doing those exercises in lessons for years. Also, you can practice away from your instrument, but first you have to figure out what your mouth does on your instrument. Sitting on the couch saying "tu-ku-tu-ku" over and over is more helpful if you're moving your tongue the same way as you do on the horn. I remember playing simple etudes and single-tonguing everything with the back of my tongue (ku) so that I can establish the muscle memory. Then when I'm sitting at my desk saying tukutukutuku it's the right kind of ku. Not sure if that makes sense.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Erwin posted:

I don't, I'm in IT now. I was pursuing a music education degree, but I started questioning it when I went out to observe band directors. They spend so little of their time on music and most of their time on paperwork, school politics, parents, etc. Plus, I didn't want to teach middle school or elementary, only high school. When I thought about how there's like 500 new music ed graduates for every 1 band director retiree, and I was facing several semesters of methods classes grading largely on your ability to organize a stupid binder, I decided to take another direction. I changed majors to BM: Elective Studies, which is a music degree my school offered that included a lot of course work in an outside field (computer science in my case).

I still play quite a bit. I have a brass quintet and a big band, both of which I direct, and I play in a community orchestra - just played the first movement of the Hummel trumpet concerto with them in the fall. Talk about nerve wracking. The extent of my professional playing career though is limited to church gigs and musicals. I'm fine with it - I'm successful in my career and it allows me to fund my hardcore music hobby. I'm glad I have a degree in music even though it's not my career, and I wouldn't want to have done it any differently.

As for double-tonguing, do you have the Arban's? That would be the first step. I remember just doing those exercises in lessons for years. Also, you can practice away from your instrument, but first you have to figure out what your mouth does on your instrument. Sitting on the couch saying "tu-ku-tu-ku" over and over is more helpful if you're moving your tongue the same way as you do on the horn. I remember playing simple etudes and single-tonguing everything with the back of my tongue (ku) so that I can establish the muscle memory. Then when I'm sitting at my desk saying tukutukutuku it's the right kind of ku. Not sure if that makes sense.

Yeah I've got Arbans, suppose I'll go off that. Thanks for sharing, that is honestly almost exactly what I had in mind. I want to get my degree in performance though, and try my pipe dream of getting into a military band here. I'm approaching it with the mindset of getting the degree without expecting that though, just aiming towards it. If I don't get a job, I'm totally happy getting some other kind of job and doing music just as a serious hobby.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
My band director told us he learned double tonguing by just ku tonguing every single attack he ever had to play for a few weeks straight.

He then told us not to do this or he'd find out and be upset with us.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Mederlock posted:

Yeah I've got Arbans, suppose I'll go off that. Thanks for sharing, that is honestly almost exactly what I had in mind. I want to get my degree in performance though, and try my pipe dream of getting into a military band here. I'm approaching it with the mindset of getting the degree without expecting that though, just aiming towards it. If I don't get a job, I'm totally happy getting some other kind of job and doing music just as a serious hobby.

Getting into a CF band isn't as big a pipe dream as you may think, doubly so if you're in an area that has a Reserve band, at least that's what the recruiters told me last year. I don't know how true that may be anymore with the cuts. The only real problem you may run into is that there isn't an opening for your instrument and depending on the current members playing said instrument it could be a few years before an opening would be available.

As a singer I would've had to pick up my trombone again for the first time in 3 years and practice the poo poo out of it for a few months or a year before I would even begin to think about joining even a Reserve band. It makes more sense for me to just continue working on getting into some kind of a performance centre after graduating and hope I can get picked for principal parts for any operas and go from there.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

havelock posted:

My band director told us he learned double tonguing by just ku tonguing every single attack he ever had to play for a few weeks straight.

He then told us not to do this or he'd find out and be upset with us.

I learned it by saying "tukutukutuku" under my breath constantly in my non-band classes. I must have really weirded out my teachers.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
If this is the wrong thread, I apologize, I just need some Viola buying advice. I've been gifted with a daughter that's a very good Viola player - she's first chair in the second orchestra in her high school as a freshman, and is going into the higher one next year. After getting really hosed price-wise on the first rent-to-buy viola I'm trying to figure out the right way to pick up a decent intermedia instrument on the cheap. I know it's important to support local businesses, but given I paid $1k for a $150 viola I have a bad taste in my mouth so I wanted to try to do this online.

I've read elsewhere on *the internet* that Gilgas are the best bang/buck right now, so I was thinking about trying one of their intermediate violas from a place with a tryout policy and slapping really good strings on it. Does this make sense at all, is there a better way?

I'm open to whatever.

Edit - she tried the intermedia Carlo Rebelli at Sam Ash and thought it sucked if that's a data point. Don't know if that's just the one they had or it's a crappy instrument in general...

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

I don't know much about string instruments, but I would think that buying used might be an option, even more so for a viola versus a trumpet - I say this because new trumpet designs are actually sometimes improvements, but I'd imagine the viola has been perfected for a long time. You'll have to be careful about checking for cracks and such, but you may be able to get a better viola for the same money. And since you'd be buying a non-beginner viola, the sellers you'll be talking to may be experienced players that are knowledgeable and interested in helping budding musicians instead of parents trying to unload their kid's unused student model.

If you were buying a brass instrument, Dillon's is the best place for new and used because of the huge selection. Not sure if such a place exists for string instruments. If you're buying new, you should try to find a place with a very large selection, since instruments of the same model can vary in quality and she'll need to spend most of the day playing violas to find a good match.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I'm quite happy to buy used if I found an online dealer with a trial period, that would take care of the breaking-in time too. The used market is even more opaque to me than the new market though, which is why I was looking new.

Remulak fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Feb 6, 2015

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

God, even as a k-12 instrumental music teacher the string instrument buying world is totally opaque to me. Does your daughter's teacher have any suggestions? Is there a local orchestra or university in your area? If I was in your spot I'd seriously email viola profs or performers. Most of them teach kids privately and probably have a good idea of what to get. I think there's more wind players around here than string players, so I'm not sure you'll get good info from us. Good on your kid though, and good for you for wanting to get her a good instrument. I've got a lot of great students playing on rinky-dink $100 clarinets and it just totally blows for them to be doing so well and yet sounding so mediocre, because of something beyond their control. :(

One thing though, I think anyone you're going to ask is going to recommend getting a pro-level instrument if you can. The logic is, you're going to be in this exact situation in 4 years if your daughter decides she wants to continue playing in college and you get an intermediate instrument. But if you get her a good solid instrument, that can last her the whole rest of her life. I personally still play on the horn and flute that I got in high school (bless my poor mother for all the money I cost her, but at least they've lasted). Even if she's not going to continue, a better instrument may still be a better value. There's a common mentality in the music teacher world that "intermediate" instruments are kind of a ripoff. They're much more expensive than beginner instruments for not that much more benefit.

Anyhow you're certainly not going to hurt your daughter by getting her a mid-level instrument, those are just my thoughts.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

Aces High posted:

Getting into a CF band isn't as big a pipe dream as you may think, doubly so if you're in an area that has a Reserve band, at least that's what the recruiters told me last year. I don't know how true that may be anymore with the cuts. The only real problem you may run into is that there isn't an opening for your instrument and depending on the current members playing said instrument it could be a few years before an opening would be available.

As a singer I would've had to pick up my trombone again for the first time in 3 years and practice the poo poo out of it for a few months or a year before I would even begin to think about joining even a Reserve band. It makes more sense for me to just continue working on getting into some kind of a performance centre after graduating and hope I can get picked for principal parts for any operas and go from there.

Just remember there are so many ways to become a successful opera singer, whether it's grad schools, young artist programs, working while studying with a teacher, etc.

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug

Remulak posted:

If this is the wrong thread, I apologize, I just need some Viola buying advice. I've been gifted with a daughter that's a very good Viola player - she's first chair in the second orchestra in her high school as a freshman, and is going into the higher one next year. After getting really hosed price-wise on the first rent-to-buy viola I'm trying to figure out the right way to pick up a decent intermedia instrument on the cheap. I know it's important to support local businesses, but given I paid $1k for a $150 viola I have a bad taste in my mouth so I wanted to try to do this online.

I've read elsewhere on *the internet* that Gilgas are the best bang/buck right now, so I was thinking about trying one of their intermediate violas from a place with a tryout policy and slapping really good strings on it. Does this make sense at all, is there a better way?

I'm open to whatever.

Edit - she tried the intermedia Carlo Rebelli at Sam Ash and thought it sucked if that's a data point. Don't know if that's just the one they had or it's a crappy instrument in general...

The violin my parents got me as soon as I was big enough for a full-size was a pretty decent instrument (I had already been playing for 5 or so years). I think they cashed in some education savings bonds or something and put down about $2000-2500. That was about 25 years ago, but I still have that instrument and still play on it (I recently had it appraised for $6500, fwiw). I never pursued music professionally but if I had, it would have been good enough to get me through university and to a point where I'd decide about and afford my own better instrument.

So that said, I have zero experience buying an instrument, hehe. My private teacher at the time sourced and vetted it for me; we tried out a few before we found one that he was happy with for me. Really, if you're looking to put down serious money for your kid's instrument I'd be looking at paying for private lessons too. If you've read any other string-playing advice in this thread it always come back to private instruction for any half-way serious learning.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Yeah, she is getting private lessons, but everybody around here uses the same dealer, they're integrated heavily into the local school system. The idea of NOT going to them has been shocking to everybody we've talked to. The teacher might know if one for sale but won't know for a while. The other stringed instrument places around here have the same deal (but much less so) with other school systems.

The business model of this place is interesting; she's now playing with an eval of their intermediate instrument, and it's a Chinese private label that I think I found for $700 from another school-based music store online. Their price on this one is $1200, but they'll give me $500 back on the beginning instrument that I paid $1000 for, so the net is $700.

Of course they'd rather RTO at a price of almost double...

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Is it okay to replace an entire set of violin strings by myself? I understand about keeping constant tension on the bridge, the soundpost and all that, but are there any problems with replacing all four strings that might not be immediately apparent?

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug

Deathy McDeath posted:

Is it okay to replace an entire set of violin strings by myself? I understand about keeping constant tension on the bridge, the soundpost and all that, but are there any problems with replacing all four strings that might not be immediately apparent?

Should be fine, just do it one at a time. Wind the pegs carefully so it doesn't get all lovely, moving towards the outside like this. Keep an eye on your bridge during and after and if it's leaning a bit either way carefully adjust it back to perpendicular. You can do it with full tension on it, just do it carefully.

The Grapist
Mar 12, 2003

All in all I think I had a pretty normal childhood.

Remulak posted:

I'm open to whatever.

What was the price of the Carlo Robelli?

The 505 and 805 models are handmade, so they should be of good quality.

I actually run the Jean Baptiste and Carlo Robelli brands, so I'd love to help you if I can. 16", I assume?

Alternatively, I can try to assist with getting a high quality pro level European viola to your local Ash

The Grapist fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Feb 16, 2015

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

:aaa: Seriously? Can I pick your brain sometime? Can I give you a list of things that annoy me about Jean Baptiste flutes and French horns? I teach middle school band in a seriously poor district, can I have some instruments? (Serious question. I turn away kids from my program every year for lack of instruments.)

The Grapist
Mar 12, 2003

Hawkgirl posted:

:aaa: Seriously? Can I pick your brain sometime? Can I give you a list of things that annoy me about Jean Baptiste flutes and French horns? I teach middle school band in a seriously poor district, can I have some instruments? (Serious question. I turn away kids from my program every year for lack of instruments.)

Yes, yes and yes. Seriously. I've been working like crazy trying to improve upon the models, and the more feedback the better. Getting feedback from educators is extremely important to me, so I would be able to give you instruments in exchange.

I'm originally a sax player, so those in my opinion, have improved the most, simply because I'm a vintage nut and was able to take design cues from Mark VI's and apply it to our models. I'm a few weeks away from starting production on new professional models, based off of my 5 digit VI's; no high F# (so the altissimo just pops out), dark cognac lacquer, pearl front F and alt F#. I just got home from TMEA, and the students and educators there got the first peak (along with the owners of Cannonball and Jody Jazz, they were impressed, which really makes me feel good about it).

The flutes recently got a headjoint upgrade, so they sound better and are easier to play, but I'm aware that there are issues with them not holding their adjustments well. We QC them once we get them in our warehouse, and even still there are issues.

Drop me a line jeff@jeanbaptiste.com

The Grapist fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Feb 17, 2015

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

The Grapist posted:

Yes, yes and yes. Seriously. I've been working like crazy trying to improve upon the models, and the more feedback the better. Getting feedback from educators is extremely important to me, so I would be able to give you instruments in exchange.

I'm originally a sax player, so those in my opinion, have improved the most, simply because I'm a vintage nut and was able to take design cues from Mark VI's and apply it to our models. I'm a few weeks away from starting production on new professional models, based off of my 5 digit VI's; no high F# (so the altissimo just pops out), dark cognac lacquer, pearl front F and alt F#. I just got home from TMEA, and the students and educators there got the first peak (along with the owners of Cannonball and Jody Jazz, they were impressed, which really makes me feel good about it).

The flutes recently got a headjoint upgrade, so they sound better and are easier to play, but I'm aware that there are issues with them not holding their adjustments well. We QC them once we get them in our warehouse, and even still there are issues.

Drop me a line jeff@jeanbaptiste.com

Whoa, thanks man! I just sent you an email with some brief comments about the flutes and French horns. I'm definitely going to make some time this week and head to my local Sam Ash to play them all again and give you some more detailed info. I am definitely willing to work for instrument donations. :haw:

The Grapist
Mar 12, 2003

Hawkgirl posted:

Whoa, thanks man! I just sent you an email with some brief comments about the flutes and French horns. I'm definitely going to make some time this week and head to my local Sam Ash to play them all again and give you some more detailed info. I am definitely willing to work for instrument donations. :haw:

Sent you back a response, be sure to try out the flutes and french horn I mentioned. If you play sax as well, the 290 models feature a new neck and now use Pisoni pads rather than the standard chinese pads you'd find on, say, the Prelude AS711 (which sells for $799 now. Ugh).

The stores should have the 686 intermediate models with the new necks as well, they would say "with new 690 neck" on the signs and have a model number ending with "N" For instance, the 686 vintage finish alto has been retrofitted with the new neck to go from 686AVF to 686AVFN; the new necks no longer have engraving. Once the older models are sold through, the new models, the 690's, will be arriving in stores at a slightly higher price (but still cheaper than a Yamaha 26) with Pisoni pads as well.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
If you're looking for cheap brass instruments that are great, you've got too check out http://www.wessex-tubas.com/. I just bought their Dolce model Euphonium that's a chinese-made clone of the Yamaha 642 with some modifications, and I paid 1185 USD for it (compare at ~5000-6000+ for the 642). I bought it based off of great reviews on it and it's brethren from several other retailers for the price from http://www.dwerden.com/forum/forum.php, and this thing is great. My instructor was extremely impressed as well. It's loads better then the ~$1500 Jupiter 470L I was renting, From what I've read on the same forum I linked, their trombones, baritone/alto horns, and others are also pretty sweet for the money. Their tubas, which was what they originally were importing, are extremely well regarded as well.

Basically the line I've seen is you're getting 90% of the horn quality wise for 1/6 the cost.

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Feb 17, 2015

The Grapist
Mar 12, 2003

Mederlock posted:

If you're looking for cheap brass instruments that are great, you've got too check out http://www.wessex-tubas.com/. I just bought their Dolce model Euphonium that's a chinese-made clone of the Yamaha 642 with some modifications, and I paid 1185 USD for it (compare at ~5000-6000+ for the 642). I bought it based off of great reviews on it and it's brethren from several other retailers for the price from http://www.dwerden.com/forum/forum.php, and this thing is great. My instructor was extremely impressed as well. It's loads better then the ~$1500 Jupiter 470L I was renting, From what I've read on the same forum I linked, their trombones, baritone/alto horns, and others are also pretty sweet for the money. Their tubas, which was what they originally were importing, are extremely well regarded as well.

Basically the line I've seen is you're getting 90% of the horn quality wise for 1/6 the cost.

http://www.amazon.com/Jean-Baptiste...words=jbeupcoms

Was at the factory saw it being made along side my model, it's the same horn

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

The Grapist posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Jean-Baptiste...words=jbeupcoms

Was at the factory saw it being made along side my model, it's the same horn

If it's from the JinBao factory then yeah. Well, the Wessex ones have a few minor differences (2nd valve water key, floating leadpipe with a slightly different angle), but it is essentially the same horn.

e: Are all your horns sourced from JinBao? It seems to be like it's one of the most prolific makers of brass instruments that exist outside the realm of the major name brands.

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Feb 17, 2015

The Grapist
Mar 12, 2003

Mederlock posted:

If it's from the JinBao factory then yeah. Well, the Wessex ones have a few minor differences (2nd valve water key, floating leadpipe with a slightly different angle), but it is essentially the same horn.

e: Are all your horns sourced from JinBao? It seems to be like it's one of the most prolific makers of brass instruments that exist outside the realm of the major name brands.

No, not all horns, but there is a good deal of brass sourced from there. Most of our woodwinds aren't, and my new intermediate and professional trumpets that I developed are made in Taiwan.

They're the second largest manufacturer of brass and winds outside of Yamaha; we were one of the first US companies to use them, too. They also make some of Yamaha's drums

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

The Grapist posted:

No, not all horns, but there is a good deal of brass sourced from there. Most of our woodwinds aren't, and my new intermediate and professional trumpets that I developed are made in Taiwan.

They're the second largest manufacturer of brass and winds outside of Yamaha; we were one of the first US companies to use them, too. They also make some of Yamaha's drums

That's pretty cool. Its good to see, for the first time ever basically, some actual quality instruments, function-wise if not finish-wise, that are in the realm of being reasonably affordable to those who don't have $3000+ available for euphoniums and tubas, as well as the other woodwinds(which I am not familiar with at all so don't have much to comment). I'm glad people like yourself and Jonathan at Wessex tubas are pushing for quality control improvements and bringing these products to market.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Yeah, there was definitely an awful few years where almost everything coming out of China was as cheap as possible and horrible quality, and everything else was skyrocketing in price. I'm glad that things seem to be evening out a bit.

The Grapist
Mar 12, 2003

You have Taiwan to blame/thank for that mostly, in my opinion. Over the last ten years I've seen the quality of brass and winds coming out of Taiwan improve dramatically. As the quality and labor has improved, the prices have increased as well. Taiwan now is what Japan was 20-30 years ago for the industry.

A lot of Taiwanese companies, in order to keep the quality up while maintaining or reducing prices, has opted to buy or build factories in mainland China. Taiwanese tooling and materials with cheaper labor = amazing low cost instruments that is slightly higher than a typical chinese instrument, but similar if not identical quality you'd get from Taiwan. Hell, even Yamaha is doing it; their student models are primarily made in China now, with a few models made in India, Indonesia and Malaysia.

I'm working with a few such factories, one of which is producing my modern Mark VI. I've had players, educators, and other manufacturers comment that the alto is a bit better than a Yamaha 82ZII, while the tenor is only on par. $2100 vs $4000 for the alto, $2500 vs $4680 for the tenor. Hot drat.

BRAAAAAAAINS
Oct 14, 2010

They so tasty..
Just finished a three hour practice session working on only one scale and the same six bars of my piece. AKA double stops are annoying and really show off your not yet entirely pitch perfect intonation. And my new A string, though it sounds amazing for the most part (upgraded from my spare cheapo steel string to a eudoxa), is very picky about double stops apparently. I have to be very careful if I want to avoid squeaking.

Does Jean Baptiste do oboes too? I'm on the lookout for a good value instrument to get sometime when I can spare the money. I'm a complete beginner, and will most likely be teaching myself how to play for fun as a diversion from all the serious practising.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

BRAAAAAAAINS posted:

Just finished a three hour practice session working on only one scale and the same six bars of my piece. AKA double stops are annoying and really show off your not yet entirely pitch perfect intonation. And my new A string, though it sounds amazing for the most part (upgraded from my spare cheapo steel string to a eudoxa), is very picky about double stops apparently. I have to be very careful if I want to avoid squeaking.

Does Jean Baptiste do oboes too? I'm on the lookout for a good value instrument to get sometime when I can spare the money. I'm a complete beginner, and will most likely be teaching myself how to play for fun as a diversion from all the serious practising.

I know your pain. I spent 2.5 hours last night on my new Euphonium practicing the same set of like 10 Arbans exercises to learn how to double and triple tongue cleanly for the Imperial March movement of a wind band adaptation of Star Wars' marches. Still need to work on the triple tongue Blegh

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

ub posted:

Should be fine, just do it one at a time. Wind the pegs carefully so it doesn't get all lovely, moving towards the outside like this. Keep an eye on your bridge during and after and if it's leaning a bit either way carefully adjust it back to perpendicular. You can do it with full tension on it, just do it carefully.

Well, I followed this advice and managed to mess it up anyway. If you can visualize this: instead of inserting a small bit of the string into the peg and winding from there, I inserted the string until it was almost taught then started winding. After that, I cut off the excess silk at the peg end. I couldn't figure out why the strings kept slipping out of the pegs :sigh:

Fortunately, violin strings are cheap.

The Grapist
Mar 12, 2003

BRAAAAAAAINS posted:

I don't have any Oboes at the moment, it's on my slate of new products that I'm working on. I should have a few prototypes by the summer though; and if I don't go forth with production, I will have samples that I could sell for super cheap.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I didn't know a classical musician thread existed. I remember looking years and years ago but I never found one.

I think I've been playing for about a decade now. My main instrument is Viola but I also own a Violin. Right now, I'm learning how to fiddle with my private lesson teacher and I am playing Viola in a community orchestra. Last week was the first rehearsal. I showed up with both my Violin and Viola and the director asked me to play Violin. It felt like I was in the twilight zone.

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug

Deathy McDeath posted:

Well, I followed this advice and managed to mess it up anyway. If you can visualize this: instead of inserting a small bit of the string into the peg and winding from there, I inserted the string until it was almost taught then started winding. After that, I cut off the excess silk at the peg end. I couldn't figure out why the strings kept slipping out of the pegs :sigh:

Fortunately, violin strings are cheap.

I would not have foreseen anyone doing that... but yeah they're not guitar strings: start at the very end and wind from the inside out. You should never need to trim them. I usually fiddle with how much I put through the peg to start so the peg ends up in a nice not-awkward position for tuning, but that's it. The picture I posted shows it crossing over for the first turn (presumably) to lock it in, but I've never bothered with that.

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug

mariooncrack posted:

I didn't know a classical musician thread existed. I remember looking years and years ago but I never found one.

I think I've been playing for about a decade now. My main instrument is Viola but I also own a Violin. Right now, I'm learning how to fiddle with my private lesson teacher and I am playing Viola in a community orchestra. Last week was the first rehearsal. I showed up with both my Violin and Viola and the director asked me to play Violin. It felt like I was in the twilight zone.

Welcome!

I'm guessing if an orchestra is hurting for violins it's worth it to sacrifice a stronger viola section. So congrats, you get to play the melody most of the time (if you're a first).

I joined a community orchestra too last fall and it's been a lot of fun. I'm the youngest person in it by at least 10 years, but I don't mind. Many of the members are retired professional musicians, so there's a lot of experience to learn from, and our director is fantastic. Our next big concert is going to be Brahms 3 and Dvorak Cello Concerto with the principal cellist of my city's professional orchestra. I'm pretty stoked.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

ub posted:

I would not have foreseen anyone doing that... but yeah they're not guitar strings: start at the very end and wind from the inside out. You should never need to trim them. I usually fiddle with how much I put through the peg to start so the peg ends up in a nice not-awkward position for tuning, but that's it. The picture I posted shows it crossing over for the first turn (presumably) to lock it in, but I've never bothered with that.

Yep. Learned my lesson and have two new strings on the way.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

So I'm a cellist of over ten years, I play in my university orchestra, might be joining a community orchestra soon... I just have a little problem. For all of my cello career I had a private instructor. Now, in college, I only had to complete 6 semesters of private instruction to graduate, so now I don't get an instructor for free anymore, and don't have one because of it. I want to keep learning new solo rep on my own, but... I just don't know where to look or what to do? There's just so much out there I can't possibly choose on my own. Any tips?

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Ferroque posted:

So I'm a cellist of over ten years, I play in my university orchestra, might be joining a community orchestra soon... I just have a little problem. For all of my cello career I had a private instructor. Now, in college, I only had to complete 6 semesters of private instruction to graduate, so now I don't get an instructor for free anymore, and don't have one because of it. I want to keep learning new solo rep on my own, but... I just don't know where to look or what to do? There's just so much out there I can't possibly choose on my own. Any tips?

It won't make up for not having a private instructor, but here's a bunch of public domain solo rep for you to look through: http://imslp.org/index.php?title=Category:For_cello&transclude=Template:Catintro

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Yeah I've been looking at imslp, I just dunno about where to start... Lot of stuff to go through.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:
Have you tried talking to your old teacher?

Here at my dinky little undergrad school you only need four semesters of piano for a voice major but you can enroll past that if you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I also just found this thread, which is pretty awesome. I'm a french horn player of around fifteen years now, with a three year gap between graduation college and saving enough to buy my own horn. I was able to join a brass chamber music group (that has now turned into a collective of former and currently active musicians in search of people to play with) and it has been real fun.

Due to an oddity of recruitment and attrition, the group had two trumpets and four horns. I decided to buy a Wagner tuba to help balance the group out. It is from Wessex Tubas and should come in sometime this month. I am so excited for it, especially since I ordered it at the end of October!

• Locked thread