Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire
Yesterday I had a treasure trove ask me to reduce my favor with my god to 0 to enter :stare:
I did it, because I was with Okawaru and who cares, but is this a recent addition? I've only ever been asked to give it items before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Somewhat recent addition. It used to remove you entirely from that god's worship before it was fixed to what you see now! :v:

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

Sage Grimm posted:

Somewhat recent addition. It used to remove you entirely from that god's worship before it was fixed to what you see now! :v:

Penance free god-swap in exchange for a pile of treasure?
I think I want that version back :v:

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Poulpe posted:

Penance free god-swap in exchange for a pile of treasure?
I think I want that version back :v:

It was not penance-free. (And IIRC that only happened if you were wearing an amulet of faith at the time.)

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
I love Xom so much :allears:

In order:

Get gifted a +8 rod of destruction on D:3
Get gifted a +2 demon blade of freezing on D:5
Get abyssed by Xom on D:8, blow every consumable I have and somehow escape
Get abyssed AGAIN on D:11, die

Never change.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I dunno, this item seems pretty dece-

How did it know!?

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

PleasingFungus posted:

it turns out that, not only is (modern) musu really bad, mu-- is really bad.

I personally enjoyed tesu, but I'm probably fonder of te-- than is justifiable. Most non-bad races can play su pretty well, though. dgsu could probably play a pretty good hybrid su (can't rely on getting more summoning books, can rely on good stats letting you hybridize well); demonspawn would be decent (no -1 apt for su!), draconian would be decent, hill orc would be quite strong, since it's a really strong race... lots of options.

(There's an OgSu LP in the thread, but idk if I would really recommend a race with a -3 summoning apt...)

It's possible for labyrinths to have multiple metal areas, only one of which contains the exit. (IIRC.)

Good to know! Maybe I should just try hybrid first then, I rarely do hybrid anything as it is.

PleasingFungus posted:

*in this thread; it's worth a skim, since it covers a lot of the same ground that we're going over here.

I like crate posts, in this case they convey pretty clearly Summoning's strengths, but the idea where spell powersummon duration is reduced dramatically with no monsters in LOS is making me cringe

apple fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Feb 20, 2015

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

cheetah7071 posted:

For the first time ever, I have the serious possibility of a streak going. Only problem is I'm poo poo at this game and have no idea how to play Fedhas. Come help me out, please.

http://crawl.akrasiac.org:8080/#watch-cheetah7071

e: got into a spot I really can't win without a spectator who understands Fedhas. I'll try again at a more primetime hour.

Gonna go back up for a few hours.

http://crawl.akrasiac.org:8080/#watch-cheetah7071

Thanks for the help everyone. Still don't understand Fedhas, but at least my character isn't on the brink of death against every encounter now.

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Feb 21, 2015

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.
Just found a weird bug: got shafted down two floors, landed on a staircase, the staircase gets marked as used, (i.e., it's green in console). Maybe I'll submit it but it's so trivial I probably won't bother.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

quote:

7751 | Lair:1 | Noticed Harold
7837 | D:8 | Noticed salvador's ghost (experienced VSBe)
7875 | Lair:1 | Noticed Fannar
7876 | Lair:1 | Noticed Gastronok

Crawl, why :gonk:

edit:
Welp, time to splat

quote:

_You finish putting on the +15 Maxwell's patent armour {-Cast -Tele rElec MR+ rCorr}.

Poulpe fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Feb 20, 2015

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Thug Lessons posted:

Just found a weird bug: got shafted down two floors, landed on a staircase, the staircase gets marked as used, (i.e., it's green in console). Maybe I'll submit it but it's so trivial I probably won't bother.

it's already in mantis. I have a patch for it sitting around but I was never able to actually figure out a way to test it

and also someone completely rewrote the stairs code since I wrote that patch, so, welp

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Poulpe posted:

Yesterday I had a treasure trove ask me to reduce my favor with my god to 0 to enter :stare:
I did it, because I was with Okawaru and who cares, but is this a recent addition? I've only ever been asked to give it items before.

Was it worth it?

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

the littlest prince posted:

Was it worth it?

No, the loot was literally 12 magical axes of varying quality, but I was already using an executioner's axe of chopping so it was all useless to me. Still, I'd make the same choice again in a heartbeat.
I had my piety back after a few floors anyway :shrug:

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.
As a swordwielding naga of chei with plans to do extended as lichform, if you found yourself in a bazaar and could only afford one of The Necromonicon, The Sword of Jihad and a scroll of aquirement, which one would you pick?

Edit: Do keep in mind I have clarity as a mutation so I believe the sword of Jihad wouldn't berserk me?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Depending on the price it might be profitable to take acquirement and acquire gold, often an unusually strong option when you are in a bazaar. Then you could go do whatever, though of course you could roll poorly. So it depends on the price of the scroll - from learndb the formula is:

quote:

Gives 10*(20+1d20+1d8*1d8*1d8) gold. (Min=220, Max=5520, Mean=1218, Median=880, Std=911)

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Feb 20, 2015

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...
Farewell my only successful OpTm, dead in a completely unnecessary zig with 10 runes due to getting MP drained to 0 by a summoned eye of draining.

You were beautiful.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

megane posted:

I can proudly state that I'm personally responsible for replacing that drat bikini. :colbert:

Margery looks a lot cooler in that armour so good job. Too bad she's still a pretty big chump :v:

IMO she should get a unique set of armour like the Enchantress does.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Internet Kraken posted:

Margery looks a lot cooler in that armour so good job. Too bad she's still a pretty big chump :v:

IMO she should get a unique set of armour like the Enchantress does.

Agreed on both counts

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Today I learned that Ice Fiends are an available summon when reading a scroll of summoning in an ice cave.

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
gently caress I keep dying the dumbest possible deaths because I forget random humanoid mobs can pick up and use wands.

I had a fantastic run going and got obliterated by a loving Orc on D:11 with a wand of disintegration :negative:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Speaking of, did Ice Fiends get removed as the final boss of lair branch ice caves? I miss seeing them.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I saw one pretty recently I'm fairly sure so no, but only some ice caves have them at the end. They can also just have an ice giant or dragons to finish.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Gozag is really cool. I'd like it if he could provide mercs who turn on the player if their salary isn't paid though.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Depending on the price it might be profitable to take acquirement and acquire gold, often an unusually strong option when you are in a bazaar. Then you could go do whatever, though of course you could roll poorly. So it depends on the price of the scroll - from learndb the formula is:

Good call, feels like a gamble worth taking... Can you even use an eudemon blade in lichform?

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT
Gargoyle cheibro has cleared hell but picked up berserkeritis from hell-effect contam through an amulet of resist mutation. Gonna start doing Pan and could use people watching to help me not be an idiot. Also need advice on what spells to pick up with my spare 15 spell levels, I think I have access to most of them: http://crawl.s-z.org/#watch-LorrdErnie
code:
LorrdErnie the Infernalist (GrEE)                 Turns: 145750, Time: 13:33:20

Health: 173/173    AC: 57    Str: 41    XL:     27
Magic:  54/54      EV: 29    Int: 57    God:    Cheibriados [******]
Gold:   10645      SH: 21    Dex: 33    Spells: 14 memorised, 15 levels left

rFire  + + .     SeeInvis +     a - +9 eveningstar of the Realm of Zot {crush, rF+ Int+4 Dex+2}
rCold  + . .     Rnd*Rage +     q - +8 plate armour "Edwaefov" {rF+ MR+ Str+11 Dex-2}
rNeg   + . .     SustAb   .     y - +3 shield of the Present {MR+} (curse)
rPois  ∞         Gourm    .     o - +3 hat of Pondering {ponderous, MR+ MP+10 Int+5}
rElec  +         Spirit   .     r - +0 cloak of Starlight {rElec rC+ EV+4 Stlth-}
rCorr  .         Warding  .     V - +3 pair of gauntlets of War {Slay+5}
rMut   .         Stasis   .     O - +1 pair of boots
MR     +++++                    M - amulet "Amuh" {rElec Regen+ Dex+4 SInv}
Stlth  ++........               B - ring of Heresy {rPois Int+7 Dex+4 Stlth+}
                                W - ring of protection from magic

@: flying, delayed fireball, studying Stealth, repel missiles, very slow, almost
entirely resistant to hostile enchantments, unstealthy
A: able to fly continuously, big wings, beak, camouflage 1, berserk 1, negative
energy resistance 1, electricity resistance, unbreathing, petrification
resistance, rot immunity, AC +20
a: Stop Flying, Bend Time, Temporal Distortion, Slouch, Step From Time, Renounce
Religion, Release Delayed Fireball
}: 10/15 runes: barnacled, slimy, silver, golden, iron, obsidian, icy, bone,
abyssal, gossamer

The ideology eater fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Feb 21, 2015

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

Speaking of, did Ice Fiends get removed as the final boss of lair branch ice caves? I miss seeing them.

Nope! Can still get them at the end of (certain) ice caves provided the ice cave spawns deep enough (elf, shoals/spider/snake/swamp, etc).

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.
I gained a total of 12 gold pieces from the aquirement scroll, necromonicon it is!

Edit: I mean the scroll was 638 pieces and the scroll got me 650 coins.

Double Edit: Is electrocution a good enough brand for a triple sword or should I use my other scroll and gamble on flaming/freezing/vorpal? :stare:

Maxmaps fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Feb 21, 2015

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
Turn a corner, get gibbed instantly by a Centaur with a wand of lightning. 57 damage in one turn because it bounced three times. Why, crawl? :saddowns:

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

PleasingFungus posted:

it's already in mantis. I have a patch for it sitting around but I was never able to actually figure out a way to test it

and also someone completely rewrote the stairs code since I wrote that patch, so, welp

What's different about stairs now?

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Mystery Prize posted:

Turn a corner, get gibbed instantly by a Centaur with a wand of lightning. 57 damage in one turn because it bounced three times. Why, crawl? :saddowns:

I'm pretty sure it can't bounce three times, unless monster bounces work different from player bounces.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Maxmaps posted:

I gained a total of 12 gold pieces from the aquirement scroll, necromonicon it is!

Edit: I mean the scroll was 638 pieces and the scroll got me 650 coins.

Double Edit: Is electrocution a good enough brand for a triple sword or should I use my other scroll and gamble on flaming/freezing/vorpal? :stare:

Elec's an amazing brand, the only reason I'd brand away from it is if you're going into postgame and want TSO's holy wrath instead.

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010

Thug Lessons posted:

I'm pretty sure it can't bounce three times, unless monster bounces work different from player bounces.

Really? I guess it's possible he got two shots of it off, I was too blown away that I'd dropped from 100% to dead essentially instantly to check.

Regardless, still frustrating.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Elec isn't really that good on a weapon that doesn't attack fast later on. Plus a lot of nasty stuff is completely immune to electricity so I find the brand pretty underwhelming outside of the earlygame.

VVV Only if it procs, which it doesn't do often on slow weapons. A triple sword is pretty slow until you get it to min delay which takes a lot of skill. My main point against it though is that most really dangerous enemies completely ignore it. Orbs of fire, ancient liches, every single hell and pan lord, etc. If your brand doesn't do anything to the most dangerous enemies you'll face, its not very good. Freezing can be resisted but at least it still does damage to most stuff. Electricity straight up does nothing if its resisted.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Feb 21, 2015

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

Elec isn't really that good on a weapon that doesn't attack fast later on.

Yes it is, because it does it 7+d13 damage that ignores AC.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
And not to mention that a lot of nasty stuff also resists or is immune to fire, ice, poison, draining and pain! :v:

I wouldn't gamble on converting the brand, it's good enough on its own.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

VVV Only if it procs, which it doesn't do often on slow weapons. A triple sword is pretty slow until you get it to min delay which takes a lot of skill. My main point against it though is that most really dangerous enemies completely ignore it. Orbs of fire, ancient liches, every single hell and pan lord, etc. If your brand doesn't do anything to the most dangerous enemies you'll face, its not very good. Freezing can be resisted but at least it still does damage to most stuff. Electricity straight up does nothing if its resisted.

It procs on 1/3 of hits for an average of 14.5 damage. He's using a triple sword which does 19 base damage, so if he had the frost brand (which increases damage by 25%) he'd be doing an extra 4.75 damage every turn. What's that over 3 turns (the average to get elec to proc)? 14.25 damage, almost exactly the same. This comparison doesn't take into account stat and skill bonuses to base damage, but if anything it's actually favorable to the frost brand because it's assuming max damage every turn and ignoring elec's ability to skip AC.

Of course, some things resist elec. Some things also resist cold and if their resistance is at least rC++ (such as ancient liches) they'll take no extra damage. Cold is arguably better than elec for postgame (though not by a huge margin) but it's not even the best and a lot of things are different in postgame so who cares. Vorpal would be better than either in Zot:5 but I wouldn't brand away from elec on the offchance I'm going to get lucky and get vorpal.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I *think* all weapon brand additional damage skips AC. I wouldn't bet the rent on it because that poo poo is super-opaque. Elec and frost are both fine brands. Frost is cool in Z:1-4 at least because it slows draconians.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Feb 21, 2015

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

You might be right about that.

e: Monsters might also take 5% extra damage at rC++, not sure.

Thug Lessons fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Feb 21, 2015

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Once in a while I get a combination of gear that makes my lil dude's tile look really good and I feel strongly about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

IronicDongz posted:

Once in a while I get a combination of gear that makes my lil dude's tile look really good and I feel strongly about it.

I unironically love playing dress up with the tiles. I will always compare the aesthetics of similar equipment before deciding what to wear.

• Locked thread