Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Ubiquitous_ posted:

Going by next week's preview: looks like a good chunk of it will be shot in first-person.

It may not always work, but I'm happy that the directors and producers have been willing to add so many artsy touches to the show as it progresses, as it keeps the show fresh.

Yeah, I enjoy that they keep trying new stuff. The whole flashback-framing in the last episode worked really well, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Can somebody link to the preview?

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I really liked this latest episode. I thought the alternate reality in "Hood's" head was really well done. His little "Hey" to Siobhan near the end and the way he was just standing there smiling at her was fantastic.
For scenes like those that feature the real Lucas Hood, what do we refer to Fake Hood as? I don't really like the "fake" handle :(

The scene with twisting the knife into Chayton's leg was loving brutal. How the gently caress is Chayton finally going to go down? I mean, both guys are brutal as hell and nearly indestructible. It will be like an object that can't be stopped meeting an object that can't be moved and either man can be considered one or both of those things. Is it going to take Beast Mode Hood, Burton, AND Proctor forming an uneasy alliance to take him out?

Here's the preview for S3E7 and it looks loving amazing. On paper the first person aspect may sound iffy but it looks like the execution is going to work.

isaboo fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Feb 16, 2015

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I just heard Anthony Starr's real accent for the first time.

His American accent is loving great.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Rhyno posted:

I just heard Anthony Starr's real accent for the first time.

His American accent is loving great.

Haha yeah, was just about to mention this. For those interested here is a season 3 preview with him speaking naturally. Geno Segars (Chayton) sounds pretty much the same but it's weird seeing him without his tats and in a ball cap.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I was actually more impressed with how long it took Chayton to give voice to the no-doubt extreme pain in his goddamned leg. I'd have been crying like a little bitch almost immediately, Hood twists the knife for a good 30 seconds and Chayton's stone-faced.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

pahuyuth posted:

Haha yeah, was just about to mention this. For those interested here is a season 3 preview with him speaking naturally. Geno Segars (Chayton) sounds pretty much the same but it's weird seeing him without his tats and in a ball cap.

Haha, they don't flash Ulrich's name until 10 seconds before the video ends because that's the first time he says anything

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Ubiquitous_ posted:

Going by next week's preview: looks like a good chunk of it will be shot in first-person.

It may not always work, but I'm happy that the directors and producers have been willing to add so many artsy touches to the show as it progresses, as it keeps the show fresh.

I guess I'm the odd man out because I am not a fan of the style changes. That season 2 ep they did was boring as hell and didn't work for me at all. Last week's ep with the alternate black and white flashbacks worked though, probably because it was kept to a minimum but because it wasn't as different as the season 2 episode. I just hope whatever they do this week works.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
That FPS footage looks like a badass set of music videos done in the same style. If the guys who made those music videos have anything to do with this episode it will be great.

the video in question (I think they did more than one like this)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1swFxkicrjk

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I guess I'm the odd man out because I am not a fan of the style changes. That season 2 ep they did was boring as hell and didn't work for me at all. Last week's ep with the alternate black and white flashbacks worked though, probably because it was kept to a minimum but because it wasn't as different as the season 2 episode. I just hope whatever they do this week works.

You seriously didn't like the MGS3 homage in the field?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

That FPS footage looks like a badass set of music videos done in the same style. If the guys who made those music videos have anything to do with this episode it will be great.

the video in question (I think they did more than one like this)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1swFxkicrjk

Greg Yaitanes is directing the next two, but he has experience with small cameras (having shot an episode of House entirely on Canon 5Ds).

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

LORD OF BUTT posted:

You seriously didn't like the MGS3 homage in the field?

But love didn't bloom on the battlefield :ohdear:

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
The circling of the sniper in the field in that episode was good, but I agree that it felt a bit aimless and meditative which was a little too jarring for a show like this. Last week's episode balanced artsy camera work in the alt-history with the gritty reality of the present.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Ubiquitous_ posted:

The circling of the sniper in the field in that episode was good, but I agree that it felt a bit aimless and meditative which was a little too jarring for a show like this. Last week's episode balanced artsy camera work in the alt-history with the gritty reality of the present.

The episode in question felt like a filler episode to me. This one felt like one too, but a little less-so. At least there was a short fight with Chayton.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

So will Season 4 be the last season or is it just trimmed down and will keep going?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Who knows, they we are losing Strike Back too.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Niwrad posted:

So will Season 4 be the last season or is it just trimmed down and will keep going?

I hope it's not the last season. But it could be that while it has a loyal audience, most people would still, inexplicably, rather watch obviously-rigged reality shows. Or that whole idea could be my doing because I love this kind of TV and absolutely de-loving-spise reality TV and the fact it inundates television. I'm arguing about nothing, but suffice it to say I just will not forgive the world if Banshee ends so soon.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Guys, there are no plans for next season to be the last. I went over the reasons why AT LEAST ONCE in the thread. It's a buzzy show, critics are behind it, social media is behind it, Cinemax loves it. Most likely, considering that production is also moving to Philly, it's a cost-saving move designed to compensate for the on-screen/behind-camera talent wanting more money -- which, let's be fair, they've earned it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
They're planning for 5 seasons. Also, apparently next season is "giant-sized;" which could possibly mean 90-minute episodes (and an 8-episode season with 90-minute episodes works out to longer than a 10-episode hour-long season).

e: Also, Cinemax greenlit another Greg Yaitanes show, so Banshee is probably going to run as long as the people behind it want it to.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

LORD OF BUTT posted:

They're planning for 5 seasons. Also, apparently next season is "giant-sized;" which could possibly mean 90-minute episodes (and an 8-episode season with 90-minute episodes works out to longer than a 10-episode hour-long season).

e: Also, Cinemax greenlit another Greg Yaitanes show, so Banshee is probably going to run as long as the people behind it want it to.

So if that's true, we're LITERALLY getting an action movie a week. Holy shitsnacks.

Tonight: You Can't Hide From the Dead

quote:

Lucas and his team pull off a daring heist at Camp Genoa; both Lucas and Chayton are haunted by their recent encounter; Gordon and Carrie attempt an unusual intervention with Deva.

No premieres before the show, but they're running V For Vendetta if that's your thing.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yeah it could either be that or just season 4 being crazy, but I will poo poo a brick if it's giant-sized in the comic book sense and we're getting 90 minute episodes.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

LORD OF BUTT posted:

my boner is like a california redwood

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Yeah it could either be that or just season 4 being crazy, but I will poo poo a brick if it's giant-sized in the comic book sense and we're getting 90 minute episodes.

What's your source, just for the record? You have it handy?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

DivisionPost posted:

What's your source, just for the record? You have it handy?

I'm phone posting, but it was on /r/banshee on reddit. Someone tweeted at Greg Yaitanes about season 4 only being 8 episodes and his response was just "Giant-sized." I'll dig it up when I have a computer handy

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I'm phone posting, but it was on /r/banshee on reddit. Someone tweeted at Greg Yaitanes about season 4 only being 8 episodes and his response was just "Giant-sized." I'll dig it up when I have a computer handy

Don't sweat it, think I can take it from there. Thanks!

EDIT: Maybe I can't since there's no such tweet on Yaitanes's feed. Again, that's not doubt, just curiosity.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Feb 21, 2015

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I was wrong about who tweeted it.

https://twitter.com/lperistere/status/565940966868008960

This seems to be a director on some episodes of the show, so a semi-legit source maybe.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
:circlefap: so much.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
I've yet to watch the episode, but:

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I was wrong about who tweeted it.

https://twitter.com/lperistere/status/565940966868008960

This seems to be a director on some episodes of the show, so a semi-legit source maybe.

Loni's an EP who directed the first and last blocks of episodes for this season, even though Greg Yaitanes is the showrunner. Yes, he's a legit source.

When he says "GIANT SIZE," it could mean that they're doing extended episodes. But it could also mean, factoring in the move to Philly, that they want to put as much money on the screen as possible for what comes next. Either way, :circlefap: in-mother-loving-deed.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just watched it. Really good use of the head cams and poo poo.
The only way i'd like to be looking that mexican in the face, is through a very powerful telescope.

The show is just booking it now.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The headcam stuff was ok. Some shots were a bit hard to tell what was happening, but still better than the crap they pulled in season 2.

Rebecca this is going to blow up in your face so bad. I can't wait :neckbeard:

Whoever said earlier that Colonel Stowe looked like the T1000 wasn't kidding. He is a goddamn terminator. :stonk: Also pants on head crazy.

edit: forget Chayton, Stowe is the real deal. Crazy man who is competent and commands a bunch of elite soldiers. I bet he wouldn't have failed to kill Proctor or Chayton like Hood did either:colbert:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Feb 21, 2015

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
Banshee continues an incredible third season. God that was good.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
That parental beatdown was one of the best things all season, and that's saying something.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

pentyne posted:

That parental beatdown was one of the best things all season, and that's saying something.

There was something very satisfying about each of those dudes getting the poo poo kicked out of them.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

qbert posted:

There was something very satisfying about each of those dudes getting the poo poo kicked out of them.

They were extremely lucky Carrie brought Gordon and not Hood.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
It looks like I'm going against the popular opinion here but I hated this episode. It's the only episode of the show I haven't liked. The funky cameras made it hard to tell what was going on and as an added bonus it gave me motion sickness. I'm one of those people who threw up after seeing The Blair Witch Project. It wasn't fun then and it wasn't fun tonight.

Some Zero
Sep 23, 2009
The only thing I didn't like is Universal Soldier taking 4 shots of buckshot at point blank range and still fighting. Body armor or not that dude would have stayed down.

I dug the head cams overall though.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

...! posted:

It looks like I'm going against the popular opinion here but I hated this episode. It's the only episode of the show I haven't liked. The funky cameras made it hard to tell what was going on and as an added bonus it gave me motion sickness. I'm one of those people who threw up after seeing The Blair Witch Project. It wasn't fun then and it wasn't fun tonight.

It was different. I'll give them credit for that.

The one thing this season is missing right now is Proctor doing something evil. The lovey dovey stuff is fine but I don't like going more than a couple episodes without him and Burton loving poo poo up.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

The headcam stuff was ok. Some shots were a bit hard to tell what was happening, but still better than the crap they pulled in season 2.

@GregYaitanes
this begins a 20 minute sequence we shot #Banshee with @GoPro and @panasonic HX-A500H - Wearable 4K Camcorder

@GregYaitanes
parts had 22 cameras going with no crew in sight. actors were in role play. we used @Skype to see set from a hidden phone. #Banshee

@GregYaitanes
love how @langleykirkwood is the T-1000 in this sequence. #Banshee

This guy is a genius, they take some amazing risks with the way they shoot, vast majority of the time it works really well. Whoever edits that poo poo is a drat genius too,

red19fire
May 26, 2010

...! posted:

Already I've seen the lens shade on the first shot of Chayton. And it's unrelated but I've seen Job's PAWS shirt in like 4 different shows by now. Dava's child fight club/FOOT CLAN gang thing has been done to death and is boring as heck.

But I do like that they're taking risks with camera work, really digging Hood's flashback/haunted cam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

...! posted:

I didn't quite hate it, but I'm with you in that it was by far my least favorite of the season. I basically didn't really like any part besides the heist, although that did turn out better than I thought it would. I think they could've used a lot more soldiers chasing after them, or maybe just more gratuitous tracers flying past Hood & Co's cameras to make it feel like they're actually under fire. Instead it was just kind of repetitive shots of Hood pointing his gun at 2-3 soldiers who we can't really see because of the camera quality. Just didn't quite have the effect they were going for in those parts, although like I said the overall heist was still great (even if their plan could've been made about 100 times safer if they had just brought like 2 smoke grenades).

Everything else in the episode just didn't do it for me though. Deva's storyline went away from the interesting angle of her following in her mom's footsteps and temporarily turned into the cliche troubled teen we've seen a thousand times, except taken to the Banshee extreme so that the guy isn't just a douche but also has fight clubs in his pool for some reason. My favorite part was how his buddies actually started the fight with Carrie by shoving her and throwing the first punch. Like, really? You were just planning on beating the poo poo out of your friend's girlfriend's mom in front of everyone because they came to get her? Even for Banshee that was a bit too much, although the actual fight was certainly well executed.

And then Kai and Chayton's storylines just both felt like filler this week. Kai's romance is boring and cliche as all hell ("I know you're evil but there's totally good in your heart I love you.") while Chayton's was mostly just nonsensical. ("I know you're evil and you literally just threatened my life but I'll just patch you up because I don't care about dying.") Speaking of nonsensical, Rebecca's continuing dive into full-blown crazyville is kind of weird, but at least it's a new direction for her character. But boy that scene with the Salvadorian gansters. I'm sure the staff did their homework and all those face tats were authentic, but in a show with Kai and Chayton as the main protagonists, those gangsters might as well have driven up in a clown car and tumbled out.

Looking forward to next week though, especially Hood and Brock's fun time happy road trip.

• Locked thread