Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Firstborn posted:

There currently is no demo, but there may be once it drops. Haven't heard anything about that.

As far as Raspberry and the other Freeza Soldier, they make for good fodder in the story mode, and all of their costumes are different skin color/patterns/armors, so they fill in a pretty good slot as chaff that you have to cut through. I think making them playable was just a matter of courtesy (like making Sabaimen playable in other DBZ games). It's kind of funny that they are included, but I don't think it was a priority select. They are fun to troll with, and shooting people with their little wrist gun is cool.

Oh yeah, I know. I just figured Cui style Frieza soldiers would serve a similar role while also being a bit more recognizable. At least I think it was Cui and Appule serving the role in Tenkaichi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatBigJerk
Sep 6, 2010

My final form.
This is definitely a drat informative thread. Kind of shocked that it's about a Dragon Ball Z game, but you've pretty much convinced me to buy it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea I've never like, felt 'hype' for a DBZ game. I've played plenty of DBZ games and thought 'this is a good game' and had fun, but I've never done some poo poo like preorder a loving dragon ball game.

Dragon Ball Z games are good, guys, I'm scared, hold me.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
How are the destructible level elements? Someone told me there was no destructible terrain and I got kinda bummed, because throwing some fool into a giant desert rock formation and watching it explode is quintessential to the DBZ experience.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Anonymous Robot posted:

How are the destructible level elements? Someone told me there was no destructible terrain and I got kinda bummed, because throwing some fool into a giant desert rock formation and watching it explode is quintessential to the DBZ experience.

Some of the buildings/pillars/other knick knacks around can be destroyed, however moves that leave damage markers(like beams leaving a big hole in the ground) only do temporary damage to the environment.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Is there a beard, preferably a big bushy one?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Babe Magnet posted:

Is there a beard, preferably a big bushy one?

There's a Roshi beard, not sure what else.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I view GT as a non-canon what IF and the movie as the canon version

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

mango sentinel posted:

There's a Roshi beard, not sure what else.

If I can put Roshi's beard on a female character this is my goty.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Tatum Girlparts posted:

If I can put Roshi's beard on a female character this is my goty.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Man over the past 2 days you've informed me I could make a midget female Saiyan who's BFFs with Mr Satan wearing General Blue's totally Nazi lookin uniform.

They need to hire you for PR.

greatBigJerk posted:

This is definitely a drat informative thread. Kind of shocked that it's about a Dragon Ball Z game, but you've pretty much convinced me to buy it.

Guuuys... :blush:

RE: Destructible terrain... it's just like Evil Canadian said. You can get thrown through/blow up the building in the city map, or get smashed through trees and stuff in the other maps, but you can't like terraform the arena. There's no alternative "this place is hosed" map ala Budokai. You can see depressions in the earth after a big attack, or huge gouges from beams, but they disappear pretty quickly. I think the game is optimized for 3v3, and they didn't want permanent scorched earth loving with their framerate.

What-If Spoilers (sorta) Yamcha and Krillin learn Kaioken. One of their costumes/loadouts has it, too.

And here is another character breakdown. This time... Adult Gohan! One of his costumes is Future Gohan (I guess before he lost an arm), and he has Special Beam Cannon as an Ultimate. :3:

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Feb 21, 2015

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

As someone who likes dragonball but loves create a character, I'm so ridiculously pumped for this game.

We need to form a goonyu force

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Me "IRL" :smug:
Fun Shoe
Someone up thread suggested Home for Infinite Losers and I'm totally down for that.

Seriously though, my steam name's LifeGetsWorser if anyone can throw me an invite to Hercule's Heroes

LifeGetsWorser fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Feb 21, 2015

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Ugh I want to play this game so bad. So when it comes to stat points, do you earn more as you play the game or do you assign them all at the start? Also, is the God powerup a thing you can get and put on a CaC or what?
I want to make an Arale God of Destruction.

Also can you put multiple powerups like Kaioken and Super Saiyan on one character and just wreck poo poo with normal combos?

VanSandman fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Feb 21, 2015

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

VanSandman posted:

Ugh I want to play this game so bad. So when it comes to stat points, do you earn more as you play the game or do you assign them all at the start? Also, is the God powerup a thing you can get and put on a CaC or what?

Also can you put multiple powerups like Kaioken and Super Saiyan on one character and just wreck poo poo with normal combos?

I believe you get some kind of experience and level up to get skill points, I think the level cap is 80 so I assume you get around 3 points per level.
I don't think you can equip super saiyan God on you cac, afaik

Not sure about the last bit but I assume you probably could, though I doubt you could use them at the same time

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/testekill/

If anyone wants an invite to the steam group then send a friend request my way

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

VanSandman posted:

As you level up you assign points. You can set both Kaioken and SSJ on one character, but they don't stack. You can't use both at the same time... which is probably good, because they'd drain the poo poo out of your Ki and Stamina. You can still wreck poo poo with normal combos with either in different ways. Kaioken x20 would give you infinite Stamina for the duration, so you can vanish around stuff, vanish when they block a string, etc. until you get in there. SSJ increases your physical attributes, which'll make you hit harder. There is another, alternative SSJ 1 and 2 named "Super Vegeta" (and Super Vegeta 2) that they didn't bother to come up with a name for, but it's the same except it increases your Ki attacks.

You can't get God power-up. It's only available for Goku. If you wanted to, you could make your CAC be really thin and have red hair and Kaioken for the red aura and pretend. :3:

Here's a pro-tip as far as stacking buffs go, though. It's become very popular among the streamers and ranked tryhards to use Recoome's Ginyu Pose. For a few seconds, you have Capcom style Super Armor (I think Dimps calls it "no flinch"), so you can no-sell attacks (you still take the damage, but aren't staggered) and keep going. It feels and looks pretty incredible to desperately smash through a Kamehameha blasting you in the face with a melee Super. This stacks with Kaioken or SSJ. Same with the other poses, or Saiyaman's pose, or the other buffs. Also, as part of male Saiyan's perk package, buffs last slightly longer on them.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Feb 21, 2015

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Me "IRL" :smug:
Fun Shoe

Testekill posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/testekill/

If anyone wants an invite to the steam group then send a friend request my way

Request sent

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Firstborn posted:

Here's a pro-tip as far as stacking buffs go, though. It's become very popular among the streamers and ranked tryhards to use Recoome's Ginyu Pose. For a few seconds, you have Capcom style Super Armor (I think Dimps calls it "no flinch"), so you can no-sell attacks (you still take the damage, but aren't staggered) and keep going. It feels and looks pretty incredible to desperately smash through a Kamehameha blasting you in the face with a melee Super. This stacks with Kaioken or SSJ. Same with the other poses, or Saiyaman's pose, or the other buffs.

It's a shame you have to actually do the pose to trigger it, because I'd love this for my Human-as-an-Android CaC.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

It's a shame you have to actually do the pose to trigger it, because I'd love this for my Human-as-an-Android CaC.

Well, I can't read Japanese, so it's hard to test things. My buddy who has the Xbox One version has been working a lot, and it's hard to synchronize our schedules to try and get together. But there are Poses A through K, and then there's a few more on top of that... some silly dance by yourself, Gotenks pumping himself up, Saiyaman poses. I think you could find one that you are satisfied with.

I saw a streamer and his opponent use the pose, then both do melee Ultimates.. and they just crashed into each other over and over like something directly out of the anime, unable to get the upper hand on each other.

Also, it doesn't look too goofy if that is what you are worried about. It's this one:

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Feb 21, 2015

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Firstborn posted:

Well, I can't read Japanese, so it's hard to test things. My buddy who has the Xbox One version has been working a lot, and it's hard to synchronize our schedules to try and get together. But there are Poses A through K, and then there's a few more on top of that... some silly dance by yourself, Gotenks pumping himself up, Saiyaman poses. I think you could find one that you are satisfied with.

I saw a streamer and his opponent use the pose, then both do melee Ultimates.. and they just crashed into each other over and over like something directly out of the anime, unable to get the upper hand on each other.

Also, it doesn't look too goofy if that is what you are worried about. It's this one:

Oh, sweet, just a generic pump-up animation would be more than fine, as long as it gives me the no-sell buff. Plus I already know the Android Barrier is in, and there's a tonne of melee specials. If only I could turn off aura entirely :smith:

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
So one of the patch notes was a mysterious "game rebalanced", and some people have been testing it. Gravity Impact and Deathball have been nerfed (the word "normalized" is being used a lot instead). In the field of "Ki Ultimate", Deathball was king. It had tracking, speed, and huge damage. In melee Ultimates, Gravity Impact was top tier.

Both have been adjusted downward to inspire people to pick other things. This is definitely a good thing. There was a certain abusive set-up that involved using a Z Soul that gave you Infinite Ki under certain conditions, which lead to Deathball Spamming. Now it's waaaay easier to deal with, apparently.

Here's why this is cool: A dude from EU Bandai Namco was watching streams and commenting on things, listening to people talk, and identified a problem with it. There is a screen shot that I'm looking for where he said he'd pass it along. They also put on an online-only tournament that was streamed a few days ago.

E: Found it -

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Feb 21, 2015

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea I've never like, felt 'hype' for a DBZ game. I've played plenty of DBZ games and thought 'this is a good game' and had fun, but I've never done some poo poo like preorder a loving dragon ball game.

Dragon Ball Z games are good, guys, I'm scared, hold me.

This is the anime singularity, brother. Hercule-mania is coming for you!

Still trying to find if there are any good beards besides Roshi and King Vegeta Beard, but here's how you get all your weighted clothing.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Can I give my character the most powerful attack in the whole Dragon Ball saga, The Giant Deepthroat Lugie of Death?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Can you stun-lock people into doing poses? It sounds hilarious to Big Bang a guy who constantly dances.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTNWQQv4giw
Freeza CAC attack strings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g52kEJs5SAw
CAC Evasive moves. Check out the one around 00:23. This isn't all of them, though. You can get one from Gogeta where you just turn your back with your arms crossed and are invincible during the duration, and I think the one Goku does on Namek to blow away Burter and Jeice (I have a gif of Goku doing it on the first page).

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Feb 21, 2015

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Is it just me, or do the Freeza Clan folks have deceptively long reach for their standard attacks? Their tail attacks especially seem to connect at a farther range than you'd first think.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Their standard attacks seem short-ranged... their punches and kicks seem like elbows, hooked punches, knees. You are right in that their tail attacks seem very long, however. It's interesting that almost all of their tail attacks are bound to Heavy. I wish the other CACs made that sort of distinction (maybe between punch and kick). It's easier to parse that way.

The video also gives you some idea of how to combo into Supers, and even shows how to use vanish offensively to continue the combo. It's worth a watch even if you don't intend on playing a Freeza Clan...sman.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Firstborn posted:

And here is another character breakdown. This time... Adult Gohan! One of his costumes is Future Gohan (I guess before he lost an arm), and he has Special Beam Cannon as an Ultimate. :3:

I'm sad that there's not a Great Saiyanman outfit with the bandanna and sunglasses.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

jivjov posted:

I'm sad that there's not a Great Saiyanman outfit with the bandanna and sunglasses.

If it lessens the blow, you can get the bandanna and sunglasses for your CAC. Skip to 1:30, another at 1:36 with the sunglasses up. You can also get the combo of Gohan and Videl as your mentor, and learn all of Saiyaman's moves.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
How does allotting points into stats influence your character? Can you dump all you can into one stat and be some sort of god or is that a trap?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Scalding Coffee posted:

How does allotting points into stats influence your character? Can you dump all you can into one stat and be some sort of god or is that a trap?

I've heard that the "best" way to get through the story is just to pump whatever the attack damage stat is non-stop, but then when you get into the world of player vs player, you get your poo poo pushed in by builds designed to counter it. I'm probably going for a balanced build myself, but I know you can gather the dragon balls and wish for your stats to be reset. I don't know quite what that means, but I'm assuming it's a full respec.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Firstborn posted:

If it lessens the blow, you can get the bandanna and sunglasses for your CAC. Skip to 1:30, another at 1:36 with the sunglasses up. You can also get the combo of Gohan and Videl as your mentor, and learn all of Saiyaman's moves.

I am okay with all of this.

Is it confirmed that you can only use one of those accessories at a time? So no Halo + hat, for example.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

New Leaf posted:

I've heard that the "best" way to get through the story is just to pump whatever the attack damage stat is non-stop, but then when you get into the world of player vs player, you get your poo poo pushed in by builds designed to counter it. I'm probably going for a balanced build myself, but I know you can gather the dragon balls and wish for your stats to be reset. I don't know quite what that means, but I'm assuming it's a full respec.

It is a full respec. All your stats go back to 1. There are some racial bonuses that aren't statistical, so be mindful of that.

jivjov posted:

I am okay with all of this.

Is it confirmed that you can only use one of those accessories at a time? So no Halo + hat, for example.

1 accessory at a time, because some of them have stat bonuses. They didn't want people getting crazy stat bonuses by equipping everything at once.

Scalding Coffee posted:

It is encouraged that you specialize, but don't gimp yourself. The best approach in my opinion is to make one of your stats 100, then you have 130~ points left over to allocate as you see fit. In story mode, the glass cannon sort of builds work extremely well. Pump whatever attack stat you intend on using, and disregard the defensive stats because you can indefinitely retry. Online, you will need Stamina, Health, Max Ki, etc. in order to compete. People who use their story mode build in Ranked matches get their skulls crushed.
A balanced approach can also work very well, and might be best for a newcomer to see what they are more comfortable with. You have 8 CAC slots, so I'd encourage you to make 1 laser dude, 1 punchman, 1 tanky guy... that sort of thing. Your unlocked abilities and equipment will carry over, so no need to slog through the process of getting everything again for your next create-a-goku.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

How viable is it to max out your stamina and go all Kaioken, all the time?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Max health and stamina, play as Hercule 2: Herc Harder.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
If Future Trunks is the one who wishes your character into existence, how did he do it if Piccolo is dead in his timeline?

I think I have found the one writing flaw in this game.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Momomo posted:

If Future Trunks is the one who wishes your character into existence, how did he do it if Piccolo is dead in his timeline?

He uses the Dragon Balls he found on the harsh surface of Mars.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Momomo posted:

Piccolo is listed as another member of the Time Patrol. Trunks' boss is the Supreme Kai of Time, and he doesn't wish you back in his timeline. There's this weird room "outside of time" in a very Chrono Trigger way. In Xenoverse, the Time Storage Vault is located in Toki Toki City. He uses the Dragon Balls there to grant the wish. I think if anyone is allowed time fuckery, it's the Lord of Time. It's possible the Dragon Balls used could've been collected from any point in the timeline.

He wishes you back in Age 850.

Here is the full timeline: http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Dragon_Ball_timeline

Here's a little background about how Time Patrol Trunks (Dragon Ball Online) came to be:
Future Trunks has already aided the Z Fighters in the past through time travel and defeated Future Cell by this point, however, even if it was for the protection of Earth's peace, the act of using the Time Machine is ultimately a violation of the laws of the universe. When used, a time paradox occurs and multiple divisions are produced, causing the formation of different histories. The Lord of Time gave Future Trunks a stern warning for his actions. In order to redeem his wrong actions, Trunks took up the job of Time Patrol, and he was warned by Future Dende and Future Piccolo that Miira was causing chaos throughout time and space. Being the primary face of his Time Patrol operation and desperate to seek warriors in the future, Future Trunks is dedicated to put an end to Miira's threat. Future Trunks travels to Age 1000 in order to prevent Miira's reign in Age 2000. Future Trunks has become devoted to this cause and often calls on the player to undergo missions.

I hope this satisfies you. :)
You can check out the first few minutes of the story here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUBwWilbLU0 ... You are wished into the game around the 7:30 mark or so.

a cartoon duck posted:

How viable is it to max out your stamina and go all Kaioken, all the time?

Very viable. I'd say coming close to max Stamina is a very good idea for PvP. With both Ki Bars and Stamina Bars, you need 100 for the max (7 bars, iirc). You can get an 8th if you squeeze out the maximum possible stats from equipment. Baiting people into using their stamina up while you are still in the green is a very strong strategy. If you can get them to "waste" vanishing your weak (assuming you didn't really stat up Basic Attack) strings, blocking your attacks, etc., you can open them up with a guard break and go to work.

The problem will be the double-edged sword of your own stamina running completely dry. Again, you can't block until your Stamina completely refills... so in a way, you are punished more harshly for having obscene Stamina if you are reckless enough to be guard broken, because now it'll take you x2/x3 as long as someone who has base Stamina. There are ways to increase your Stamina regeneration, though, in the form of Z Souls. Just thought I'd put it out there.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Feb 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I just went through the ballache of setting up a US PSN account and buying psn cards because the game and season pass cost basically the same as just the loving game on the UK store.

• Locked thread