Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Blue Train posted:

wristwatches evolved after pocketwatches as they are more convenient to check. a phone serves the same purpose in a time checking context as a pocketwatch; they're not going to replace wristwatches

for a lot of people they already have replaced wristwatches as the thing you check the time from. other things, possibly smartwatches or some other gadgets will most likely replace the watch as an accessory or status symbol in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012
here's another watch I have

it makes me smile when I look at it in a way some gay wearable tech never will

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

Dyna Soar posted:

well, on that we disagree. watches will continue to be popular status symbols for a while, maybe a few decades but i don't think the kids now will ever be that much into watches, smartphones and other gadgets are their status symbols.

About 1/4 of my male students wear a watch. I don't think any of the female students do.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

If you're not a gigantic manchild, you should have a watch that properly fits. You wear it as an accessory, it makes you look like an adult.

poorlifedecision
Feb 13, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Dave Concepcion posted:

Nice watch.

I wear a watch because I like just looking down at my wrist instead of looking at my phone. I also like that I can wear different watches to fit different outfits or event attire.

I think it is okay if you don't want to wear a watch.

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000

Dave Concepcion posted:

thats a good looking watch

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
As far as I can tell, this guy spends a ton of time taking close ups of my exact watch. Having that thing your wrist makes a bigger impression than bringing your smartphone out to check the time
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RoRiaxVm8CQ

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

I have a few watches, the one I wear most being an Omega Seamaster I bought in 2004. I like it, and it's the one that James Bond wore, so there you go. At this point in my life, I don't see myself dropping that kind of coin on a watch again, just on principle (I was more into into being flashy when I was younger).

Although the Panerai Black Seal is dope as gently caress.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

As a man with large hands I appreciate the giant watch trend as smaller watches look ridiculous on me

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005
I have an old swiss army watch in a drawer somewhere that I haven't worn in probably 12 years. Watches became pointless bling with internet connected smartphones that give perfectly accurate time.

El Duderino
Mar 28, 2003

If you're not into that whole brevity thing..
Yes I wear a watch because my jeans are basically painted on. They're so tight it takes me 2 minutes to squeeze my phone out because I do so many squats that my jeans are bulging.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I will wear a nice watch if I'm wearing a suit, as the dude above said, as an accessory only.

The rest of the time, I work on a computer and I ain't typing poo poo with bullshit on my wrists goin all clinky clanky all over the god drat desk and pressing up into my veins and tendons and whatever the gently caress is in my wrist - gently caress YOU, rear end in a top hat

Thats my thought on watches as a well adjusted adult with a real rear end job.

edit: oh wait I got a digital waterproof iron man cheapo watch I wear when I go camping because I don't expect to have my phone/etc. available and I can go kayaking or fight bears or whatever and not worry about it.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Feb 21, 2015

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax

Arm carpet.

:gonk:

brotato
May 14, 2013

genesplicer posted:

About 1/4 of my male students wear a watch. I don't think any of the female students do.

Watches really are mostly a male accessory. We pretty much only saw older women with watches.

Those pos Michael kors watches were really popular w the 20-30 year old ladies a couple years ago round here. That still a thing? gently caress that plastic rose gold trash, ugh.

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

Business Gorillas posted:

As a man with large hands I appreciate the giant watch trend as smaller watches look ridiculous on me

it looks fine, the hypermasculine giant watch bullshit needs to die

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Fight the good fight Dave

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

blugu64 posted:

Fight the good fight Dave

:hfive:

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I have one of those cheap seiko 5 automatics (the kind that are like $60 on amazon) and it stopped working no matter how much it's moved, like 3 months after I bought it. is it worth it to bring it to a watch fixer & how much do they charge. or will it just happen again because those watches are poo poo

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

d0s posted:

I have one of those cheap seiko 5 automatics (the kind that are like $60 on amazon) and it stopped working no matter how much it's moved, like 3 months after I bought it. is it worth it to bring it to a watch fixer & how much do they charge. or will it just happen again because those watches are poo poo

Not that Seikos are poo poo, per se, but I would just buy a new watch.

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

d0s posted:

seiko 5 has a very good reputation you were probably just unlucky, don't even think about fixing it unless it has immense sentimental value, much cheaper to just buy a new one

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

The seiko 5's are also incredibly ugly, so there's that, too

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
There's so many designs that are labeled "seiko 5" that it's pointless to talk about their aesthetics. I had a pretty nice one that had its movement break on me too so I'm distrustful of the cheaper models. they are still a good option if you want an automatic though

Citizen ecodrives are another watch with a billion models and they are really reliable solar powered watches.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I dunno I just went to the website to look at them and they looked ugly what do you want from me???

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Bishop posted:

There's so many designs that are labeled "seiko 5" that it's pointless to talk about their aesthetics.

It's this one http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LTAY1U/

It's not great looking but I just wanted a cheap watch with hands and gears and poo poo. I liked it while it lasted but I'm fine with my g-shock now

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

The movements in those are basically made to be disposable, and the whole thing pops out as a module. Like, it's actually cheaper to throw out the movement and replace it than it is to have it disassembled and cleaned.

That said, they are far from being lovely and should last at least 10-15 years. I have the same watch and only quit wearing it because the band gets hella stinky in the warmer months.

Count Freebasie posted:

I have a few watches, the one I wear most being an Omega Seamaster I bought in 2004. I like it, and it's the one that James Bond wore, so there you go. At this point in my life, I don't see myself dropping that kind of coin on a watch again, just on principle (I was more into into being flashy when I was younger).

An Omega isn't something to be principled against. The Seamaster (specifically an Aqua Terra with a blue dial) is the watch that convinced me that there are expensive watches that are actually worth their price tag, and not all watches are about being all "look at me I poo poo money". It was the first time I really saw a watch as a mechanical jewel that I could understand spending thousands on.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Feb 21, 2015

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

The movements in those are basically made to be disposable, and the whole thing pops out as a module. Like, it's actually cheaper to throw out the movement and replace it than it is to have it disassembled and cleaned.

That said, they are far from being lovely and should last at least 10-15 years. I have the same watch and only quit wearing it because the band gets hella stinky in the warmer months.

Where do you get just the movement?

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

It's something a service center would have, I don't think that Seiko will sell parts to regular customers.

On that model it's definitely best to just get a whole new watch. Having the movement replaced is a thing for more expensive models that use the same movement or watches with sentimental value.

Edit: You made me get mine back out and put it on. More watches need to have dials marked with seconds instead of hours.

Since it's completely not working, try out giving it a really hard slam. Seriously. A bound up balance spring can cause a watch to either seize up or start running REALLY fast, and a strong impact can fix it. If you manage to get it running, it probably won't do it again since it will have a chance for the parts to break in and the factory lube to get evenly distributed.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Feb 21, 2015

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Big Beef City posted:

The seiko 5's are also incredibly ugly, so there's that, too

dont have to be

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000Z4CN6U/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
thats quite a sale

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
how do you guys feel about nazi watches?

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012
wtf is a nazi watch?

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
heh, nazi memorablia watch. well, ww2 era watches in general. the soviets had some cool designs too.

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012
a wwii beobachter uhr is cool, but ss memorabilia can gently caress right off

RaceBannon
Apr 3, 2010
Actually, I think that's a cool looking watch.

I have several watches but my favourite is an automatic Rotary watch with the mechanism exposed. All gents should have a classy timepiece.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
i wouldn't wear a nazi watch, but goddamn those fuckers knew how to make evil look good

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

My inner clock is working pretty well.
I can guess what time it is and I'm within +/- 5 minutes most of the time.
Even works when I wake up at night. It's downright spooky at times.

For the few times I need the exact time, I'll take a peek at my smartphone.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Business Gorillas posted:

another good reason to use a watch is realize that looking at your phone makes you look like an rear end in a top hat no matter the context

yeah thats true more or less, at least if u constantly do so in public aside from being a train or in a waiting room

its disgusting. ppl staring at their phones in public never look happy either, its always the same vacant, expression-less look or a the slack jawed stare more common in men.

Mariana Horchata fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Feb 21, 2015

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

I think the last time I wore a watch was like 2003

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

how many guys still carry a pocket knife. and how do you replace that functionality with a phone.

gently caress, if my co-workers are any indication i'm an old fart just for having a wallet instead of having a bunch of cards and poo poo loose in my pocket.

• Locked thread