Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

One of the tallest residential buildings in the world, although it's been overtaken since by several other Dubai buildings

It was named The Torch because the huge supposed-to-be-spiral (but not) lighthouse deal at the top was supposed to be lit like a lighthouse. But since it was built right next to other tall buildings, it has never once been lit up because that would be stupid.

Funny to me because I followed this building's progress since early on in construction and it was known to have been constructed rather crapilly. It's an all-concrete building, so it's not going to collapse or anything. Still, don't skimp on building materials to save a quick buck, please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Wow, lovely building standards and probable unsafe construction. You wouldn't expect that in the slave labor capital of the world.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
uh but jet fuel can't melt steal beams OP

Not_Rainbow_Horse
Nov 11, 2013

The Mad Archivist posted:

uh but jet fuel can't melt steal beams OP

yes it can

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Wow, lovely building standards and probable unsafe construction. You wouldn't expect that in the slave labor capital of the world.
Ehh, it's a bit more severe than that. This is where the building is:

You can't just shoddily-construct a huge gently caress-off over 300m tall building in a block like that.

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
OP should have just started this thread as dubai.tga, missed oppurtunity smh

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

The Mad Archivist posted:

OP should have just started this thread as dubai.tga, missed oppurtunity smh
I could do that for a thread about empty holes in the desert where 100+ story buildings were getting ready to be built. We could do pages of those.

Or the lovely Dubai Pearl, which has averaged roughly 1 floor per year since it was begun 7 or so years ago. But don't you dare say it's on hold!

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

if it was made out of concrete, what lit up, the corpses of the migrant workers that have become encased in the walls?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Prettz posted:

You can't just shoddily-construct a huge gently caress-off over 300m tall building in a block like that.

I hope it catches the other buildings on fire

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Business Gorillas posted:

if it was made out of concrete, what lit up, the corpses of the migrant workers that have become encased in the walls?
The cladding is on fire, according to what people are saying so far. Kind of hilarious because what the hell is flammable cladding?

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

boom boom boom posted:

I hope it catches the other buildings on fire

its gonna be funnier to watch them get devoured by the desert within our lifetimes

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Prettz posted:

The cladding is on fire, according to what people are saying so far. Kind of hilarious because what the hell is flammable cladding?

Magnesium is real shiny

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

There is a news story http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-31562099

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

praise Allah

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

quote:

No-one was injured, however hundreds of residents were left homeless after the blaze which police said was caused by a cigarette butt.

lol

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Business Gorillas posted:

its gonna be funnier to watch them get devoured by the desert within our lifetimes
Nah. Probably within 20 or 25 years the waves will be licking at the foundations of those buildings I posted, and they'll be abandoned. They're all just a couple hundred yards from the shoreline.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Does this count as payback for 9/11?

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

The Taint Reaper posted:

no bc it was probably isis that started it

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Prettz posted:

I'm sure you can in Dubai if you bribe the right people.

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE

Prettz posted:

Nah. Probably within 20 or 25 years the waves will be licking at the foundations of those buildings I posted, and they'll be abandoned. They're all just a couple hundred yards from the shoreline.

Dubai will become a Waterworld Theme Park.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

zVxTeflon posted:

praise Yahweh

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
So they can't afford to actually repair the building now due to the severe structual damage.

Can't wait to have another walled city on the rise.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

OJ saves a white lady's pussy, movie owns

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Bregor posted:

OJ saves a white lady's pussy, movie owns

Yeah. Steve McQueen and Paul Newman rig a bunch of explosives while John Williams does a musical countdown.

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

I'm sure you can in Dubai if you bribe the right people.
Well I meant "you can't" in a more figurative sense. This whole building was ""luxury"" condos for rich foreigners. This will bring the value of everything in the whole "World's Tallest Block" down, and someone's going to have to pay.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
cigarettes are cool & good

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The Taint Reaper posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jm-WoGwRmUw

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

molten glass blowing in the wind is cool as hell

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Whatever low-budget FMV game this is, retsupurae clearly needs to cover it!

Hingehead
Nov 24, 2013

The Taint Reaper posted:

One of the pilot hijacker was from UAE, so yes. It's only fair revenge.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Well according to the BBC this whole tower was burnt down by a single cigarette butt.

Hingehead
Nov 24, 2013

Blazing Ownager posted:

Well according to the BBC this whole tower was burnt down by a single cigarette butt.

Was it jewish?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
then why did bush have to put thermite in the twin towers??

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

XMNN posted:

then why did bush have to put thermite in the twin towers??

in dubai, lost fingat

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

ur faggy e-cigs couldn't do this now could they

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N

Prettz posted:

LOL at that building on the far right.

"Hey what if we just twist it like a Twizzler that'll look artsy right?"

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Prettz posted:

Well I meant "you can't" in a more figurative sense. This whole building was ""luxury"" condos for rich foreigners. This will bring the value of everything in the whole "World's Tallest Block" down, and someone's going to have to pay.

Well the condos are like £300,000, which is the price for your average crackhouse in zone 3 in London so im not sure about the rich part.

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine

l33t b4c0n posted:

LOL at that building on the far right.

"Hey what if we just twist it like a Twizzler that'll look artsy right?"

Middle-left is kinda phallic, that sexy curve. :hawaaaafap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW