Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Zero VGS posted:

Not that I want to give NVidia a pass for the 970 debacle, but it is also kind of telling when people are like "This is an outrage" and Newegg is like "Okay, send it back, full refund", and everyone is like "Oh it's still the best overall card in existence, I just want free monies".

I don't think I can find a single person who outright returned the thing and got an AMD, even out of spite.

I can't think of a Radeon card that has had enough issues that they needed to change specs/recall them. Nvidia had problems with both 8800s series and mobile GPUs for years that they failed to address until they got hit with lawsuits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
I can! Apple just started an out-of-warranty repair program for all Macs with AMD GPUs from 2011 through 2013 (though most of the problems are with 2011 models).

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

Swartz posted:

Just a note: this no longer works.

Granted I got my 970 in September and they refused to give me a partial refund/credit. They did offer to still allow me to RMA the card for the full amount though.

Just tried it because I'm poor and need the money, but heads up that they're not falling for it anymore.

Maybe it works if you're willing to give them a really hard time about it, but I'm not willing to do that.

Sucks that it doesn't work anymore. I've seen multiple people get 20-30% back from Amazon (posted a pic of their chat) just by asking even today. I guess there was only a certain amount of money to go around. I legitimately was planning on sending the card back if it was my only option. I wasn't going to get an AMD though, just the 980.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Party Plane Jones posted:

I can't think of a Radeon card that has had enough issues that they needed to change specs/recall them. Nvidia had problems with both 8800s series and mobile GPUs for years that they failed to address until they got hit with lawsuits.

Yeah, but a purchase based on that alone is spite. Its still currently the best card overall... for now. I had higher hopes for the 3 series, the leaks kind of have ups and downs imo, but its going to come down to the pricing in the end. AMD doesn't seem to have any issue with pricing competitively but I'll just hold out for more info rather than guess at this point.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Zero VGS posted:

Not that I want to give NVidia a pass for the 970 debacle, but it is also kind of telling when people are like "This is an outrage" and Newegg is like "Okay, send it back, full refund", and everyone is like "Oh it's still the best overall card in existence, I just want free monies".

I don't think I can find a single person who outright returned the thing and got an AMD, even out of spite.

Plenty of people who returned it and then got a 980, though :v:

E: Speak of the devil:

suddenlyissoon posted:

[...] I legitimately was planning on sending the card back if it was my only option. I wasn't going to get an AMD though, just the 980.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

Instant Grat posted:

Plenty of people who returned it and then got a 980, though :v:

E: Speak of the devil:

Hey, I only buy video cards once every 3 or 4 years. If I've got the money at the moment, I need to jump to something that will be better under 1440p!

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, I was gonna get 2 970s to run my 30", and now I don't think I will over this. 3.5gb might be just right for 1440p, but people with 2560x1600 say it can bog down in some games. I think I'll just wait for R300 and see what happens to 980 prices or if a r300 is a better deal.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

nVidia is bowing to pressure; future drivers will once again allow overclocking on mobile GPUs.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
I give it three weeks before angry retards who bought "gaming laptops" and OC'd the very specifically-cooled Nvidia GPUs past the breaking point start a witch hunt.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Factory Factory posted:

I can! Apple just started an out-of-warranty repair program for all Macs with AMD GPUs from 2011 through 2013 (though most of the problems are with 2011 models).

Only the 2011 models use an AMD GPU; the affected late 2012 and early 2013 Retina Pros used a GeForce 650m.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Truga posted:

Yeah, I was gonna get 2 970s to run my 30", and now I don't think I will over this. 3.5gb might be just right for 1440p, but people with 2560x1600 say it can bog down in some games. I think I'll just wait for R300 and see what happens to 980 prices or if a r300 is a better deal.

I have a single 980 for a 2560 * 1600 monitor, I find it plenty for everything I play atm. I think it gets 75 ish fps in Shadows of Mordor. It might not cut it for a future consumer occulus, but that's about the only downside I can think of. I wasn't really interested in experimenting with an SLI setup either.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I'm looking out for something that will deliver ~100fps in most games so I can just buy and plug a consumer rift in when it arrives. A single 980 doesn't quite cut it, but two 970 do IIRC. I'm definitely going to wait a bit longer now though, just to see what happens. Last couple months or so I haven't been playing anything graphically heavy enough to warrant an upgrade anyway.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Truga posted:

I have a 970 and I play at 2560x1600. Though I'm mainly playing blizzard games. Some people are saying that the ubisoft ones tend to be quite slow at these resolutions on a 970. It's all up to whatever you're playing i guess. Since none of the ubisoft games caught on me, I have a really easy time saying: screw you. YMMV.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Truga posted:

I'm on a 34" Ultrawide at 3440x1440 (almost 1M more pixels than a 30") and I don't have a huge difference in what I played on 2560x1440. Maybe lost like 15% of my FPS from like 100+ to like maybe 90+ for a lot of titles. I'm on a GTX 680 for reference, which is significantly slower than a GTX 970 even and may be somewhat close to these new GTX 960 cards. I don't have an SLI option really for my setup because I'm on a mini ITX case and motherboard, but I'm not very serious about my games so I'm just sticking with this setup for the foreseeable future.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I think I might be CPU bound. I managed to get the memory and core clocks up to +300 each and while the numbers went up the performance did not. Also I was getting frame drops in game despite the GPU being less than 100%. Then I tried goosing the CPU up a little faster and couldn't POST anymore.

welp :v:

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Panty Saluter posted:

I think I might be CPU bound. I managed to get the memory and core clocks up to +300 each and while the numbers went up the performance did not. Also I was getting frame drops in game despite the GPU being less than 100%. Then I tried goosing the CPU up a little faster and couldn't POST anymore.

Check your thermal throttling, numb nuts.

Fajita Fiesta
Dec 15, 2013

Truga posted:

I'm looking out for something that will deliver ~100fps in most games so I can just buy and plug a consumer rift in when it arrives. A single 980 doesn't quite cut it, but two 970 do IIRC. I'm definitely going to wait a bit longer now though, just to see what happens. Last couple months or so I haven't been playing anything graphically heavy enough to warrant an upgrade anyway.

Hey SLI is bad for VR and probably will still be when the consumer rift arrives. Source - That guy who works there who posts here a lot.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

r0ck0 posted:

Check your thermal throttling, numb nuts.

I looked for it but didnt see anything so f u t:mad:

It does top at 80c that does sound right. Would the throttling be something in afterburner or the nvidia panel?

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Panty Saluter posted:

Yes it sounds like it

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Fajita Fiesta posted:

Hey SLI is bad for VR and probably will still be when the consumer rift arrives. Source - That guy who works there who posts here a lot.

Nvidia was claiming that they had a way to make it so that one card rendered for one eye and the other for the other in a 2 card SLI set up, but I don't think that that has been enabled for consumers yet.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The future of VR rendering is still uncertain. Even if I could tell you everything I know, I couldn't give you a confident prediction of how SLI/etc. will benefit VR applications in specific cases or in general, at the point we ship CV1. I don't recommend making assumptions about what configurations will work best for the consumer Rift until we release more information; I don't have a timeline to share on that, unfortunately.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Just buy your card when the CV1 is out if that's all you're planning around guys, there might be some awesome 20nm or 16nm cards or by then, who can say.

Also, just got my 970 EVGA reference blower, much quieter acoustics than my PNY 970 reference blower, if anyone was curious. Same coil whine on both though.

Edit: :siren: It begins: http://wccftech.com/nvidia-face-lawsuit-gtx-970-false-advertising/

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Feb 22, 2015

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Is release of specifications to press considered marketing? This will be interesting. I don't recall NVIDIA marketing the number of ROPs on their site when I was comparing cards, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't listed anywhere in MSI's marketing or packaging materials.

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug

Zero VGS posted:

Not quite the same, but I was looking to get a new video card, and a 970 was on the top of my list. With the information that Nvidia lied, I got a 290x instead. It helped that the 290x were heavily discounted so after all the discounts, I got the 290x for $220.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

They're being way too nice to NVIDIA in that article. The incorrect specs stayed up for months on review sites, it's inconceivable that none of NVIDIA's techs read those sites, or that all of them missed the errors. If NVIDIA had corrected the specs in a reasonable timeframe I'd have no issues with them, mistakes do happen, but if not for the fact that AMD has burned me too many times in the past I would have returned my 970 over this.'

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
I spent the last couple hours learning something really interesting about PCI Riser cards, those flexible ribbon cables.

I got a 12-inch cable in the mail and got no image when I plugged my 970 into it. I plugged in a shorter 8-inch cable and it worked perfectly fine, even overclocked.

Then I read online from one person selling riser cables that they recommend 8-inch and shorter for PCI-E Gen 3. So I went into my BIOS and forced PCI-E Gen 2.

With Gen 2, the 12-inch cable worked, but running benchmarks caused the Nvidia driver to gracefully crash, similar to when I overclock too far.

gently caress this I said, and I set the BIOS to PCI-E Gen 1.

Now the card runs rock-solid with the 12-inch riser on Gen 1. Finally I re-ran the benchmark program with identical settings. PCI-E Gen 3 was 124fps average, Gen 1 was 124fps average. Hmm.

Going to Wikipedia, it says that x16 Gen 1 is still 32 gigabits a second, that's a loving lot, isn't it? In what situation would I wind up maxing that out?

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

Zero VGS posted:

I spent the last couple hours learning something really interesting about PCI Riser cards, those flexible ribbon cables.

I got a 12-inch cable in the mail and got no image when I plugged my 970 into it. I plugged in a shorter 8-inch cable and it worked perfectly fine, even overclocked.

Then I read online from one person selling riser cables that they recommend 8-inch and shorter for PCI-E Gen 3. So I went into my BIOS and forced PCI-E Gen 2.

With Gen 2, the 12-inch cable worked, but running benchmarks caused the Nvidia driver to gracefully crash, similar to when I overclock too far.

gently caress this I said, and I set the BIOS to PCI-E Gen 1.

Now the card runs rock-solid with the 12-inch riser on Gen 1. Finally I re-ran the benchmark program with identical settings. PCI-E Gen 3 was 124fps average, Gen 1 was 124fps average. Hmm.

Going to Wikipedia, it says that x16 Gen 1 is still 32 gigabits a second, that's a loving lot, isn't it? In what situation would I wind up maxing that out?

Guru3D actually just ran an article seeing if there is a significant difference in performance between PCI-E 1.1 - 3.0 with GTX 980's. For single GPU solutions, the answer was that there was no significant difference in performance. There was a more noted difference in SLI and likely a dual-GPU card like a R9 295X saturates PCI-E 1.1, but it still looks to be enough for now.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/pci_express_scaling_game_performance_analysis_review,1.html

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for posting that, that's excellent. I'm developing a case that requires a riser so this is all good to learn.

I think I might try making a custom riser, replacing the ribbon cables with something like twisted-pair ethernet to see if I can get more length without the signal degrading.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Zero VGS posted:

Just buy your card when the CV1 is out if that's all you're planning around guys, there might be some awesome 20nm or 16nm cards or by then, who can say.

Also, just got my 970 EVGA reference blower, much quieter acoustics than my PNY 970 reference blower, if anyone was curious. Same coil whine on both though.

Edit: :siren: It begins: http://wccftech.com/nvidia-face-lawsuit-gtx-970-false-advertising/

Oh boy, I can't wait to get my $3.65!

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

TerminalSaint posted:

Oh boy, I can't wait to get my $3.65!

Class action lawsuits are less about awarding the plaintiffs and more about punishing the defendant. That's $3.65 over hundreds of thousands of customers.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

dpbjinc posted:

Class action lawsuits are less about awarding the plaintiffs and more about punishing the defendant. That's $3.65 over hundreds of thousands of customers.

It'd be hilarious if a retailer actually joined in on the action, I doubt any would damage their partnership for a small payout but it'd be fun to watch.

jimtech
Nov 25, 2005
Hail to the king baby...

Today I got a second EVGA 780ti with the intention of setting up SLI on my desktop. Individually both cards work fine in either PCI x16 slot. The issue that I"m seeing is that when I have both plugged in and connected with the SLI bridge cable, the fans on just one of the cards go full blast all the time starting during bootup when the user profile is loading. Both cards are detected and I can enable SLI in the NVIDIA control panel but performance in games is well below what I was getting with just one card. Does this sound more like a driver issue or is there something else I should be checking first? The GeForce Experience is showing that I have the latest drivers installed and I'm using a 850w power supply.

Tomorrow I'll check for bios updates and try reinstalling drivers. Thanks for any direction and advice!

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Factory Factory posted:

I read about this problem, though, and it's not to do with the AMD GPU specifically, it occurs on Macbooks with NVIDIA GPUs also, and is to do with the solder attaching the GPU package to the motherboard; as far as I understand it.

Daviclond
May 20, 2006

Bad post sighted! Firing.

Desuwa posted:

it's inconceivable that none of NVIDIA's techs read those sites, or that all of them missed the errors. If NVIDIA had corrected the specs in a reasonable timeframe I'd have no issues with them, mistakes do happen, but if not for the fact that AMD has burned me too many times in the past I would have returned my 970 over this.'

I disagree. I'm not looking to give Nvidia an easy pass here but it's completely conceivable that in a large, highly technical and multi-discipline working environment, two separate groups (marketing guys and engineer guys) hosed up in communicating technical specifications and a fairly obscure, esoteric piece of information was missed out. It's not the job of Engineer Guys to go on websites in the months following the product release and check every marketing chart. Checking should have happened before the information was released to marketing (though I don't know how strict their checking/approval QA processes would be - these things get very lax in the absence of audits even if they do have procedures. We can expect they're much stricter now :v:) but even if it was, "4 GB VRAM, xxx-bit bus width" is still superficially correct and I can see how it might not be caught as an error.

Nvidia deserve a bit of suffering for this gently caress-up, but my interpretation of much of the rage I've read is that it is artificial anger and stems from the notion that making enough noise about the affair would force Nvidia to offer free upgrades to 980s :psyduck:

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Daviclond posted:

I disagree. I'm not looking to give Nvidia an easy pass here but it's completely conceivable that in a large, highly technical and multi-discipline working environment, two separate groups (marketing guys and engineer guys) hosed up in communicating technical specifications and a fairly obscure, esoteric piece of information was missed out. It's not the job of Engineer Guys to go on websites in the months following the product release and check every marketing chart. Checking should have happened before the information was released to marketing (though I don't know how strict their checking/approval QA processes would be - these things get very lax in the absence of audits even if they do have procedures. We can expect they're much stricter now :v:) but even if it was, "4 GB VRAM, xxx-bit bus width" is still superficially correct and I can see how it might not be caught as an error.

Nvidia deserve a bit of suffering for this gently caress-up, but my interpretation of much of the rage I've read is that it is artificial anger and stems from the notion that making enough noise about the affair would force Nvidia to offer free upgrades to 980s :psyduck:

If NVIDIA was quick-witted enough, they'd have copied Ubisoft, giving a free game to every 970 owner, but by accepting the game "gift", you throw away your right to sue them.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Daviclond posted:

The suit is almost definitely a settlement grab. Absolute best case assuming no settlement is that the suit survives motion to dismiss (where the standard is "Is there any actionable claim alleged under any half-plausible set of facts whatsoever?") and then the plaintiff lawyers get to rummage through Nvidia's communications during discovery. That would be annoying enough that Nvidia would settle for significant "nuisance money" just to be rid of them. Even that level of success is a pretty optimistic, considering the level of intentionality necessary in the claims they're alleging.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Man, I just read that the 300 series is going to be a bunch of refreshed old stuff. Seeing how the 200 series was already refreshed old stuff... I don't know, I guess I figured it wouldn't be this time. (not including 390x, 290x, etc) Time will tell I guess, but it will be ironic if its just overclocked versions of the cards they are selling so cheap now suddenly at full price creating an awkward situation about which to buy.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
This is a corrupted generalization, but it can be said that only the people who are in the R9 390X's target market care about whether or not the latest generation of GPUs are using the latest new silicon anyways.

With that kind of mindset, it's viable strategy to keep touting oneself as the best with a halo product while 1) saving money on not having to develop cut-downs of the new silicon and 2) getting rid of old silicon stock. Both AMD and nVidia have been doing it, it's fresh in my mind since that was very soon after I started following new GPU releases. the HD 7970 and GTX 680 have been around in some form for a fairly long time. double edit: and only recently (last month) is the GTX 680 starting to replaced in partity by the GTX 960

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Feb 23, 2015

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Panty Saluter posted:

I looked for it but didnt see anything so f u t:mad:

It does top at 80c that does sound right. Would the throttling be something in afterburner or the nvidia panel?

Nvidia cards start throttling themselves at 70C. If you're hitting 80C while being throttled, you should probably look into fixing your case airflow.

Or maybe you got one of the MSI 4Gs with bad fans that sometimes just fail to spin up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Hamburger Test posted:

Nvidia cards start throttling themselves at 70C. If you're hitting 80C while being throttled, you should probably look into fixing your case airflow.

Or maybe you got one of the MSI 4Gs with bad fans that sometimes just fail to spin up.

Nvidia cards definitely don't throttle at 70c. Default is 80c, can be raised to 95c with a simple slider in Afterburner. Even then, that is a "temp target", in that the card will still generally run at its max boost clock while at those temps, but it won't have the dynamic boost beyond that.