Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

"We took a really nice building, knocked down most of it, and made it into condos with a snazzy theme, not unlike Bar Rescue :)"

I cannot wait for our stupid housing market to crash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
The builder's website says the church portion will be commercial space and a "public Galleria".

The best part of this they've named tower "the Connolly" in honour of the architect of the original church.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

rocket_350 posted:

The best part of this they've named tower "the Connolly" in honour of the architect of the original church.

lol that's a really good "gently caress you" from a terrible architect to a good one

TurboTax
Oct 9, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

i wonder if there is ever going to be a time where we look at these brutalist slabs of concrete as classical architecture worthy of preservation

It's already been happening, at least for the best examples of it:

http://www.dezeen.com/2014/09/26/yale-art-and-architecture-building-paul-rudolph-brutalism/

During the renovation a few years ago they actually removed some of the modifications that had been made to it and returned it to its original state, which seems to almost be the opposite of what usually happens with buildings like these. I especially like how they brought back the orange carpeting and upholstery:

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Surprised somebody bothered to post the interior of boston city hall but not its terrifying exterior.

I'm phone posting so :effort:

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Fetus Tree posted:

Surprised somebody bothered to post the interior of boston city hall but not its terrifying exterior.

I'm phone posting so :effort:

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

TurboTax posted:

It's already been happening, at least for the best examples of it:

http://www.dezeen.com/2014/09/26/yale-art-and-architecture-building-paul-rudolph-brutalism/

During the renovation a few years ago they actually removed some of the modifications that had been made to it and returned it to its original state, which seems to almost be the opposite of what usually happens with buildings like these. I especially like how they brought back the orange carpeting and upholstery:

I normally hate brutalism but I like this. Probably because they paid a lot of attention to the use of different textures. Better than the imprint of plywood forms plus fifty years of weathering like a cistern or an abandoned silo.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
There are actually people who want to preserve Boston City Hall even though it barely functions as an important civic building and is ugly. If Boston gets another snow storm and descends into a post-apocalyptic scenario then I will take over city hall and call it the Doom Fortress.

RIP Scollay Square.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
brutalism looks okay when it's surrounded by lots of trees and has ivy growing on it and stuff. makes it look like nature is reclaiming it.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Proposition Joe posted:

There are actually people who want to preserve Boston City Hall even though it barely functions as an important civic building and is ugly. If Boston gets another snow storm and descends into a post-apocalyptic scenario then I will take over city hall and call it the Doom Fortress.

RIP Scollay Square.

drat. That looks like an awesome part of Boston, all blasted away for the abyss of city hall.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

brutalism looks okay when it's surrounded by lots of trees and has ivy growing on it and stuff. makes it look like nature is reclaiming it.

thansk tyler

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

rocket_350 posted:

The back two thirds of the James Street Baptist Church in Hamilton, Ontario has been demolished so that a gross condo tower can be grafted on to it.

Did it in Toronto at College/Bathurst, to a lesser extent.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Austin's oddly asymmetrical W Hotel came with the bonus gift of falling glass:

quote:

Austin developer Stratus Properties is removing nearly 1,000 glass balcony panels from the city’s new W Hotel building after back-to-back days of falling glass forced the hotel’s temporary closure.

Three glass panels fell from the south-facing side of the building Tuesday, following an incident in which three panels fell from the upper floors of the 37-story building the day before, the Associated Press reports. This comes less than three weeks after two glass panels fell from the building into the pool area, causing minor injuries to four people, including a couple who filed a lawsuit against the hotel, according to the AP.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

redshirt posted:

drat. That looks like an awesome part of Boston, all blasted away for the abyss of city hall.

I'm sure it was low income or run down at the time they demolished it. If they had waited a while, it would have gentrified and been awesome again.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Why is that building upside down?

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

redshirt posted:

Blasted away for city hall, and this plaza:

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

Fort York in Toronto is one of Canada's most important war of 1812 historic sites and has a large collection of buildings from that era still standing. So of course there is a dilapidated 1950s elevated expressway sitting ten feet away from it.

This is better than the original plan which actually had the highway crossing directly over the southwest corner of the ramparts.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Proposition Joe posted:

Blasted away for city hall, and this plaza:

rip government center stop

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

FizFashizzle posted:

Yeah that's a prison though.

Atlanta is now building a football stadium inspired by goatse so we got that going for us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10dKvoL4qbE

This thread has taught me that the roof will be opened a couple times before football season starts and "minor problems" will be discovered. They will decide not to open it again during the season, resolve to fix it next summer, and it will not open again for the life of the stadium.

Cthulu Carl posted:

Knowlton Hall, home of Ohio State's school of architecture:

I mean, i guess it's an upgrade because when it was built, the school of architecture was in the shittiest, most run-down building on campus (I think it was Brown Hall and have a distinct memory of multiple windows always being boarded up), but drat.

I was there once for a Spanish final after it was completed, and it's like a loving aircraft hangar in there, all bare concrete and steel.

anchoress posted:

this is a good building

It does look great from the outside. Until you realize how much of it is empty facade and how many windows face right back into the building. On the inside it's a bare concrete cavern of wasted space and disorienting ramps. The library and rooftop garden are beautiful but are only viewed by those willing to brave the stark maze below.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

smackfu posted:

I'm sure it was low income or run down at the time they demolished it. If they had waited a while, it would have gentrified and been awesome again.

That was the West End, which was demolished a few years before Scollay and Adams Square were razed for City Hall. By the late 50s the West End was an immigrant neighborhood but Mayor Hynes and the bluebloods thought it was a slum, so away it went. Then they built high-rises on top of it.

(rip buzzy's roast beef)

And here's a before and after of Scollay/Adams

Tommy Calamari
Feb 25, 2006

You see, there are three things that spur the mollusk from the sand

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

I'm surprised there isn't more modern London architecture in this thread, all the new towers going up seem to be giant dick waving contests between design firms.

Strata SE1 a.k.a. the giant electric razor at Elephant and Castle deserves a mention for sheer bizarreness:

Those are wind turbines at the top. I don't know if they've ever convincingly demonstrated that they work as intended.

To be fair, you could probably build anything at Elephant and Castle and it would be an improvement over what's already there:

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

Like something out of a 1970s post-apocalyptic artsy French comic book or something.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Tommy Calamari posted:

Strata SE1 a.k.a. the giant electric razor at Elephant and Castle deserves a mention for sheer bizarreness:

Those are wind turbines at the top. I don't know if they've ever convincingly demonstrated that they work as intended.

Fun fact! Strata won the Carbuncle Cup in 2010, which is Building Design magazine's prize for the ugliest new building each year.

"Decked out with Philishave stylings, this is a building that appears to be auditioning for a supporting role in a James Bond title sequence," said Ellis Woodman of Building Design.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Proposition Joe posted:

RIP Scollay Square.

I always thought that businesses on the first floor of apartments was something that should have never gone out of style. You see this happening all the way up to the 60's/70's, then pretty much stopping. That's one thing I really miss about Korea and China (although they have stopped the practice as well), but it's nice to be able to go to the first floor to pick up some groceries, or have a bite to eat. Nothing (IMO) destroys an area faster than just erecting a pile of apartments for miles in every direction and saying "this is a vibrant neighborhood because there is a gas station, Starbucks, and a Walmart 2km away".

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Blistex posted:

I always thought that businesses on the first floor of apartments was something that should have never gone out of style. You see this happening all the way up to the 60's/70's, then pretty much stopping. That's one thing I really miss about Korea and China (although they have stopped the practice as well), but it's nice to be able to go to the first floor to pick up some groceries, or have a bite to eat. Nothing (IMO) destroys an area faster than just erecting a pile of apartments for miles in every direction and saying "this is a vibrant neighborhood because there is a gas station, Starbucks, and a Walmart 2km away".

My town is pretty small, but there are still a few of these around. One's a weird little grocery and the other is a law office with single apartments on top.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Kimmalah posted:

My town is pretty small, but there are still a few of these around. One's a weird little grocery and the other is a law office with single apartments on top.

Older neighbourhoods I've been to in Toronto, Ottawa, Chicago, Seoul, Beijing, Changchun, Shenyang, Busan, . . . etc. Are so much better than the new "apartment only" blocks, as there is stuff to see and do, and there is a reason to walk around and be there, as opposed to only going outside your apartment to get somewhere where there is actually something.

These are pretty much extreme polar-opposite examples, but a middle ground does exist.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Blistex posted:

There are still a lot of areas in boston that have this

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Why did that go out of style anyways?

With Ottawa and Toronto especially, those areas are where a lot of smaller or specialty stores can find a niche, and there's lots of good bars and restaurants.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Frosted Flake posted:

Why did that go out of style anyways?

With Ottawa and Toronto especially, those areas are where a lot of smaller or specialty stores can find a niche, and there's lots of good bars and restaurants.
Commercial traffic and noise NIMBY helped, to the tune of municipalities (especially suburban) not allowing that sort of zoning. Also for low-mid rise developments that are wholly owned by one entity it probably makes some amount of sense to specialize in residential or commercial as you only have one sales and support team focusing on moving and/or supervising apartment/condo units instead of trying to mix that with commercial leases and vice versa.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

Blistex posted:

Older neighbourhoods I've been to in Toronto, Ottawa, Chicago, Seoul, Beijing, Changchun, Shenyang, Busan, . . . etc. Are so much better than the new "apartment only" blocks, as there is stuff to see and do, and there is a reason to walk around and be there, as opposed to only going outside your apartment to get somewhere where there is actually something.

These are pretty much extreme polar-opposite examples, but a middle ground does exist.

Hey but they're fixing that issue now by building majestic, well thought out places like Cityplace

Look at that loving nightmare. Like 15,000 people, one grocery store, closest liquor store is up at King, which isn't far but is still a hike and is going before long for, you guessed it, more condos.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

olylifter posted:

Did it in Toronto at College/Bathurst, to a lesser extent.

gently caress, I thought that's what they were doing. I was okay with it then.

This is loving monstrous. It's like the architectural version of a body horror movie.

It's not like land in Hamilton is at a premium either, this poo poo is within walking distance of multiple neighbourhoods full of sub-$100,000 houses.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
/\ Odds are the congregation had packed up and the Church could no longer afford to heat and maintain the building. So it was either going to be outright bulldozed, turned into a grow-op, or this design abortion. What a lot of people don't know is that as soon as you stop heating a stone building such as a church, it pretty much instantly begins to fall apart due to the drastic temperature changes in the winter. Condensation builds up inside, then freezes, pries apart stonework, and the process goes on and on. Look at how fast brick building in Detroit fell apart when abandoned for only a few years.

Fetus Tree posted:

There are still a lot of areas in boston that have this

I'm not saying that they outright bulldozed all these neighborhoods or that they no longer exist, it's just that the trend for the past 30-50 years has been "lets build nothing but 100% apartments and nothing else for a good 2km radius". And wherever they decide to build stores it's the same. It's like some autist who can't stand to have things touch was let loose in a real-life version if Sim city.

Blistex fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Feb 23, 2015

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I wish somebody would autistically build more places to live in boston

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT

this thing rules

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

this thing rules

If you look closely there's a Sword-in-the-Stone partially obscured by the front gate

The_Raven
Jul 2, 2004

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved?

Proposition Joe posted:

RIP Scollay Square.

CHARRGE!!!

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
The antenna on the top kind of ruin it, unless they are there to route lightning into a patchwork corpse.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Blistex posted:

There's another place nearby where the whole downtown is like this, except the city really went out of their to restore the buildings and maintain that look rather than tear it all down. It really revitalized the area, since having a downtown that looks nice rather than a run down dump tends to attract new businesses and residents. Who could have guessed? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shas
Jul 27, 2011

Tawd posted:

May I present the University of Kent's (UK) library?

A 60's-70's redbrick new university that a) was evidently designed to survive the thrid war b) rumored to be earmarked as a prison, if the whole educational thing didn't work out.

This is the nexus-throne where the god-emperor dwells

no idea if any others of this (my) uni got posted but there are other awful buildings

this is the school of arts i think

in addition to this when they built the uni in the 60s they didn't check or didn't think it would cause problems that a former railway tunnel (i think the first in the uk) ran underneath the site. this was fine until part of a building fell into it:

oh and there's a new library extension that has been built in exactly the same sty-

no wait i lied it's totally different and awful

• Locked thread