Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I know at one point there were toying with making a portable Pikmin. I could see a new Pikmin being a New 3DS exclusive. Pikmin's popular, but not popular enough to where they'd be alienating people who don't have or want a New 3DS. And it would take advantage of the system's processing power. Someone give me Iwata's phone number please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Fart Sandwiches posted:

What the christ is this supposed to mean? I was emulating SNES poo poo on a 200mhz Pentium laptop 15 years ago. It might not have been "perfect" but it sure as poo poo was accurate.

I know you weren't referring to me, but I did a bunch of tests back in like 2007 or so, and the Virtual Console on the Wii was the only "emulation" device I ever saw where there was no visible difference between using the real console and the Wii. I tried it on CRTs, HDTVs, EDTVs, etc. Every other device I did comparisons with output at the wrong resolution, had image differences, etc. I'm talking the Wii was identical to the NES/SNES/N64. It really was impressive.

That's not to say that a majority of the population give a crap, but Nintendo appears to be particular as hell. I really do hate when companies pump out those "ARCADE CLASSICS!!" packs and it looks flickery (or blurry...your choice!) because the resolution is all hosed up.

I can pretty much guarantee the new3ds will have SNES games for it.

Now why Nintendo isn't porting SNES games is probably because that's a ridiculous effort (I assume).

corn in the bible posted:

gba runs perfectly on the 3ds for the same reason ds stuff works on it. it's native code and that's how the ambassador games worked.

This is actually really interesting. How hasn't someone figured out how to run GBA roms on a DSi/DSiXL though?

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Feb 23, 2015

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Basically, if you need to keep a compatibility list for emulation purposes, your solution has already failed Nintendo's standards.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Tested.com has a really good article about this. I'm not linking it directly as it has links to emulators embedded in it just in case, but here's two relevant quotes;

Nintendo has no intention of settling for the former.

Except if each game already has a tweaked emulator, I'm sure at least a couple of SNES games could work with emulation on a 3DS... mainly the ones without any Mode 7 or that special rastering, like Super Mario World or LttP.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Fuzz posted:

Except if each game already has a tweaked emulator, I'm sure at least a couple of SNES games could work with emulation on a 3DS... mainly the ones without any Mode 7 or that special rastering, like Super Mario World or LttP.

Except the rendering resolution is a couple pixels taller than the 3DS screen, which is why Nintendo have said no so far.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I know at one point there were toying with making a portable Pikmin. I could see a new Pikmin being a New 3DS exclusive. Pikmin's popular, but not popular enough to where they'd be alienating people who don't have or want a New 3DS. And it would take advantage of the system's processing power. Someone give me Iwata's phone number please.

Given how old even the Wii versions are, you'd probably be looking at a port of the original rather than something outright new, just so they can keep Pikmin 4 for the WiiU.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Rudoku posted:

1-2 years from April, like most S-E games is a good guess.

I hate that you're pretty much right about this. :/

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Except the rendering resolution is a couple pixels taller than the 3DS screen, which is why Nintendo have said no so far.

Given how old even the Wii versions are, you'd probably be looking at a port of the original rather than something outright new, just so they can keep Pikmin 4 for the WiiU.

I'm thinking if it were to happen, it would be some kind of spinoff with a sort of gimmick that they could do with 3DS that they couldn't do with a console game. It would be Pikmin: Subtitle and then Wii U would get Pikmin 4.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

gba runs perfectly on the 3ds for the same reason ds stuff works on it. it's native code and that's how the ambassador games worked.

Right, but for Virtual Console they demand that things like save states and sleep mode functioning properly before they consider it releasable, and they are not willing to sacrifice emulation accuracy to make them work. The ambassador games do not meet those minimum standards, so they're a no-go.

Homebrew emulators sacrifice accuracy for playability, so while they "work" they aren't up to the standards Nintendo has set for itself.

This is probably why we've never gotten N64 games on the Wii U despite getting them on the Wii. The N64 has always been a bitch to emulate and throwing control remapping and save states on top of that was probably the straw that broke the camel's back on moving them to Wii U.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'm thinking if it were to happen, it would be some kind of spinoff with a sort of gimmick that they could do with 3DS that they couldn't do with a console game. It would be Pikmin: Subtitle and then Wii U would get Pikmin 4.

I disagree, just because there's nothing unique between the 3DS and WiiU hardware to pull a gimmick from that the other couldn't use.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

jivjov posted:

Nintendo demands perfection out of their emulation, not "close enough". Yeah, they could dump everything on the eshop tomorrow if they wanted...but there's a reason every single virtual console game comes with a specially tweaked version of the emulator.

Because Nintendo doesn't understand file systems

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

greatn posted:

Uh... you do know even the great vaunted PC homebrew emulators have a set of unique preset tweaks for individual games, right?

Hell it's even how things like SCUMM-VM work.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

noirstronaut posted:

With Nintendo probably only selling the new XL and 2DS from here on out, I can't see them not announcing at least 5 New exclusives over the next 6 months with 2 or 3 being Wii games.

That'd be a good way to get the Wii Fire Emblem back out there.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I disagree, just because there's nothing unique between the 3DS and WiiU hardware to pull a gimmick from that the other couldn't use.

Perhaps not on a hardware level, but I'm thinking more on the lines of portability. A bite-sized Pikmin with Monster Hunter/Peace Walker style missions would actually be pretty rad. Minus the grinding, of course.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

greatn posted:

What are you talking about? Each VC release has its own emulator packed in because each one is modified slightly to make it more accurate to the original. Sure they could just make an SNES app and have the games download to that, but then you'd be unable to do some low level modifications to make sure each game is super accurate. This is why some games don't work properly when you inject them into SNES VC channels; because the tweaks done for one game gently caress up the compatibility with others.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Detective No. 27 posted:

Perhaps not on a hardware level, but I'm thinking more on the lines of portability. A bite-sized Pikmin with Monster Hunter/Peace Walker style missions would actually be pretty rad. Minus the grinding, of course.

Eh, you have that already with the day cycle. For mission-style content all you'd really need to do is port over Pikmin 2 with its randomized dungeons and call it a day, because you can save at each floor.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I'd settle for GBA games outside of how the Ambassador games does it.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
So I guess you guys don't understand either you can have different modules and pick the correct compatibility module based on the software selected, instead of having every 512kb SNES game be 54 MB.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Nintendo's quality control is honestly the weirdest thing ever. They have no competitors aside from piracy, so they can just do whatever and we're forced to deal with it.

That said, I want a DSTWO solely for SNES games.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

I said come in! posted:

I hate that you're pretty much right about this. :/

Its okay, Bravely Default wasn't very good. It only seemed that way because Square's other RPGs have been complete garbage since the PS2 days.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Its okay, Bravely Default wasn't very good. It only seemed that way because Square's other RPGs have been complete garbage since the PS2 days.

Stemming from this, what's a really good RPG that I can easily sink my teeth into and waste hours on?

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Bravely Defualt was insanely good, actually

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Chrono Trigger is on the DS and its the best JRPG you can buy.

Other than that Theatrhythm is fun.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Neddy Seagoon posted:

SNES is 256x224, 3DS is 400x240.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Chrono Trigger is on the DS and its the best JRPG you can buy.

Other than that Theatrhythm is fun.

Theatrhythm's not a JRPG though. It's absolutely worth picking up if you like Final Fantasy for the music though. Get Curtain Call, not the original version. JRPG-wise, give Shin Megami Tensei IV or Tales of the Abyss a look.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Saagonsa posted:

Bravely Defualt was insanely good, actually

Is there an anime game you don't like?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

noirstronaut posted:

Nintendo's quality control is honestly the weirdest thing ever. They have no competitors aside from piracy, so they can just do whatever and we're forced to deal with it.

Ehhh the SNES emulation is pretty weird on it so i would check compatibility if you're interested in a particular few games. Works better with GBA games to be honest.

Also maybe it's just me but the drat thing just seems to suck down your battery if you're doing anything that uses its onboard processor (so basically any emulation).

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Bravely Default is real good, but Chrono Trigger is the best RPG ever.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

The rear end Stooge posted:

Basically every late-era SNES game uses a hi-res 512x448 display, especially the RPGs.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Louisgod posted:

Yes, there are many

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

The rear end Stooge posted:

Secret of Mana and a few other games used 512x224

noirstronaut posted:

While the DSTWO is great for other things, the SNES emulation on it isn't very good. It's very choppy. OK maybe for an RPG but forget about Super Mario World or something. It's like 15 FPS.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

jivjov posted:

Nintendo demands perfection out of their emulation, not "close enough". Yeah, they could dump everything on the eshop tomorrow if they wanted...but there's a reason every single virtual console game comes with a specially tweaked version of the emulator.

If they were using a hardware intensive, "perfect" SNES emulator they wouldn't need tweaked versions. Sounds like their emulator is rough and fast like back in the ZSNES days.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Theatrhythm's not a JRPG though. It's absolutely worth picking up if you like Final Fantasy for the music though. Get Curtain Call, not the original version. JRPG-wise, give Shin Megami Tensei IV or Tales of the Abyss a look.

Tales of Abyss is only fun multiplayer. Even if I personally think its the best tales game, I still wouldn't recommend it or any tales game.

Just buy Chrono Trigger for the DS. It has Dragon Ball Z characters in it and it owns.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I mean, I know SNES emulation is suboptimal at best, but it's literally my only option on a New 3DS XL. I have an old 4.5 XL lying around, but I can't imagine carrying two systems around, one for 3DS games, and another for BlargSNES.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I just remembered when I hook up my N64 to my HDTV and I use an expansion pack, when playing Resident Evil 2 my screen turns blank for like 8 seconds every time I press the start button because the in-game menu uses a completely different resolution. Makes the game almost unplayable.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

noirstronaut posted:

I mean, I know SNES emulation is suboptimal at best, but it's literally my only option on a New 3DS XL. I have an old 4.5 XL lying around, but I can't imagine carrying two systems around, one for 3DS games, and another for BlargSNES.

My bad, I thought you wanted to use a DSTwo because of its built-in SNES emulator (the DSTwo actually has its own processor to do this).

You are probably better off finding a copy of Cubic Ninja and running SNES that way. That way, you are running SNES games in 3DS "mode" instead of DS "mode" if that makes sense.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

The emulation still isn't very good on that either but meh I guess do wutev

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

noirstronaut posted:

Do you have a smartphone?

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Louisgod posted:

He's right though.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

My bad, I thought you wanted to use a DSTwo because of its built-in SNES emulator (the DSTwo actually has its own processor to do this).

You are probably better off finding a copy of Cubic Ninja and running SNES that way. That way, you are running SNES games in 3DS "mode" instead of DS "mode" if that makes sense.

Well, I use my Gateway for those things, Cubic Ninja was used when 9.2 was the most current, but I needed to upgrade my main console to system transfer. So now I'm just stuck here in between an old XL and the new XL.

Tender Bender posted:

Do you have a smartphone?

I do, but my smartphone doesn't have tactile buttons and all emulators (except for GBA4iOS) are absolute trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

noirstronaut posted:

Well, I use my Gateway for those things, Cubic Ninja was used when 9.2 was the most current, but I needed to upgrade my main console to system transfer. So now I'm just stuck here in between an old XL and the new XL.

Don't upgrade if you can because then there's no way to downgrade back to 4.2. Maybe just call Nintendo and ask them to do the system transfer so you don't have to upgrade your original one?