Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.

skooma512 posted:

Any more tips? I fixed up a Dell Precision from work and have server 2012 on it. I have Mastering Server 2012 by Minasi and the MS Press books for 70-410.

Anybody here take 70-410 already? How long should I study for before taking it? I'd like to pass at least that so I can show that I'm putting my money where my mouth is and that I'm serious about going the sysadmin route.

It's not an easy exam, especially if you aren't already getting exposure in your day job, but if you're really busting your rear end with studying try to get an exam in while Microsoft is doing the second shot promotion. Taking the test and seeing the actual questions helped me a lot as far as informing what and how I was studying. I never found any online practice tests to be a good representation of the difficulty or the way the questions are presented, and hell, it's multiple choice, so you may end up surprising yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
That ends on May 31st.

I guess I have my work cut out for me. It's fine though, I've taken entire college courses that happen in about the same amount of time, usually 4 deep. MS tests are legendary for how obtuse the questions are, even the Security+ book referenced their style.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
How much have Microsoft exams changed over the last 10 years or so? I passed my MCSA 2003 when I was 17 and didn't find it that bad, but I haven't sat a single microsoft exam since, and my work has just asked me to do the MCSA then MCSE 2012

I remember a couple of lovely questions like "You need to choose option xyz, is it in control panel, system, advanced, or control panel, system, more, or control panel, power, advanced?" but otherwise nothing too bad

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

Voice & Video certs are getting retired/combined under Collaboration.

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/community/ccna-ccnp-collaboration

gently caress. I'm about halfway through my CCNA Voice studying...guess I should pick up the pace a bit.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Ahdinko posted:

How much have Microsoft exams changed over the last 10 years or so? I passed my MCSA 2003 when I was 17 and didn't find it that bad, but I haven't sat a single microsoft exam since, and my work has just asked me to do the MCSA then MCSE 2012

I remember a couple of lovely questions like "You need to choose option xyz, is it in control panel, system, advanced, or control panel, system, more, or control panel, power, advanced?" but otherwise nothing too bad

The format has changed a bit and I consider the exams to be harder then they were. Getting the MCITP:EA was much more difficult than the 2003 MCSE.

The exams have testlets in them now, where they give you a scenario and then you answer 5 or so questions about it. There are multiple choice/multiple answer questions, drag and drop questions, and the content can be more dynamic than the old tests. Many of them have moved to an adaptive format. Say you answer 3 AD specific questions of increasing difficulty, the test will stop asking your AD questions figuring you know it, and move on to some other crap you may not know as well. The last exam I took was the 70-647, and it took me 3 tries to get past it.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I went through the Xendesktop 1Y0-200 requirements and what's covered in the Xendesktop 7 Cookbook. I'm still trying to track down legit free non-dump practice exams with very little luck to figure out how much of the Cookbook studying is relevant to the exam.

Stupid lack of prep books :-(

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

I'm finishing up the Stanly VCP5 course and I'm getting railed by the free VMware practice tests, which I guess is to be expected because the course feels more like an overview than a deep dive.

I'm going to pick up some books to fill in the gaps. I'm torn between the VMware Official Certification Guide and the Sybex VCP-550 Study Guide by Brian Atkinson. I already have Scott Lowe's Mastering vSphere 5.5 book, but I'm looking for something extra that's tailored toward exam studies with practice tests and whatnot.

If you had to choose between the official VMware guide and the Sybex guide, which would you choose?

Tangentially, how does VMware's publication quality compare to Cisco Press?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

skipdogg posted:

The format has changed a bit and I consider the exams to be harder then they were. Getting the MCITP:EA was much more difficult than the 2003 MCSE.

The exams have testlets in them now, where they give you a scenario and then you answer 5 or so questions about it. There are multiple choice/multiple answer questions, drag and drop questions, and the content can be more dynamic than the old tests. Many of them have moved to an adaptive format. Say you answer 3 AD specific questions of increasing difficulty, the test will stop asking your AD questions figuring you know it, and move on to some other crap you may not know as well. The last exam I took was the 70-647, and it took me 3 tries to get past it.

It's still mostly multiple choice without any simulations, correct?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Cenodoxus posted:

I'm finishing up the Stanly VCP5 course and I'm getting railed by the free VMware practice tests, which I guess is to be expected because the course feels more like an overview than a deep dive.

I'm going to pick up some books to fill in the gaps. I'm torn between the VMware Official Certification Guide and the Sybex VCP-550 Study Guide by Brian Atkinson. I already have Scott Lowe's Mastering vSphere 5.5 book, but I'm looking for something extra that's tailored toward exam studies with practice tests and whatnot.

If you had to choose between the official VMware guide and the Sybex guide, which would you choose?

I used the Sybex guide exclusively and passed, though I'd have access to a home lab.

Cosmic D
Feb 17, 2015

Tab8715 posted:

It's still mostly multiple choice without any simulations, correct?

It depends on the exam. When I was taking the first portion of A+, it was roughly 70% percent multiple choice. Second portion was 50/50.

Gooble Gobble
May 2, 2011

One of us
Finally scheduled and passed the OSCP exam after managing to put it off for ~1 year. Next up is probably CISSP, but I can't take it before April. Should I buy materials now or wait for the new ones to come out?

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

Gooble Gobble posted:

Finally scheduled and passed the OSCP exam after managing to put it off for ~1 year. Next up is probably CISSP, but I can't take it before April. Should I buy materials now or wait for the new ones to come out?

New exam on April 15th. I'd probably wait.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Gooble Gobble posted:

ISC2 is saying to wait, but I'd strongly recommend the study material that DirtyFalcon suggested when I asked last week. Those recs turned a pointless slog through Shon Harris' word soup into something I could compartmentalize and understand much more effectively.

Get the Conrad book (highly recommend the Kindle edition) and take quizzes through CCCure (I paid like 40 bucks for 6 months access and they have a TON of other tests up. The Harris practice exam book is good as well but costlier.
All of these things are going to have new editions for the new quiz.

If you have the $$ buy Harris but keep it in your professional bookshelf and use it as a reference instead of a full blown study guide.

Immanentized fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Feb 18, 2015

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Any recommended resource for free ICND-1 practice tests? I'll even buy a book o'tests from Amazon if it's not too pricey.

likw1d
Aug 21, 2003

Cenodoxus posted:

I used the Sybex study guide and the whitepapers listed in the blueprint. The study guide was great to use as a lab guide along with the practice tests/flashcards. The whitepapers helped a lot too. The language on the tests seems to be pulled directly from the whitepapers so it really helped me to read through that and my practice test scores went up considerably after reading through them.

hitachi
May 2, 2003

Hail to the King, baby

Gooble Gobble posted:

How familiar were you with the material before you took the OSCP class? I have been studying for the CEH because it was something work asked me to get but I hear the OSCP is more respected so I have been looking into it a bit as well.

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?
If you can do the OSCP you should be able to sleep through the CISSP.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Cenodoxus posted:

Sybex + home labbing extensively did it for me.

Gooble Gobble
May 2, 2011

One of us

hitachi posted:

How familiar were you with the material before you took the OSCP class? I have been studying for the CEH because it was something work asked me to get but I hear the OSCP is more respected so I have been looking into it a bit as well.

I don't have any formal security education or job experience, but I've been around the security scene for a couple of years and have taught myself a lot. I'd say I knew or was familiar with around 90% of the material before I even started the class. That doesn't mean it's going to be significantly harder for someone who has less experience. All you really need to have going into it is basic security and scripting knowledge and you should be fine. Between the videos, 365 pages of course material, and the labs you will have everything you need to succeed.

If you do end up taking it just be honest with yourself regarding how much time you can set aside for labs. Try and get through as many of the machines as possible because you will see similar situations in the exam. Think about starting off with the 30 day lab pack since you can always get an extension. Also, be careful when choosing a time to do the exam. I believe you can reschedule up to 3 times for free with your initial Course+Lab+Exam pack, so make sure you have enough time for the 24 hour exam and reschedule if you foresee anything coming up that will take time away from it. I set mine up for noon on a Saturday, had enough points to pass at around midnight, got some sleep, made sure I had all the screenshots and proof I needed before the VPN time expired, then took a couple of hours to write my report. Once you send the report off you'll get a confirmation they received it and an email with results a day or two after that.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Passed icnd2! 841 needed 825. Way harder than the first test, felt like I was failing the whole time.

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

Bigass Moth posted:

Passed icnd2! 841 needed 825. Way harder than the first test, felt like I was failing the whole time.

I felt the exact same way when I passed icnd2. Was definitely a lot different than Icnd1 was and more difficult

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I know this is a weird question, but how long does it take on average to study for a CCENT? My experience so far is the A+ and what little I've picked up from being a field tech. I know what DNS is, I know what DHCP is, I know MACs, FQDNs, and Hostnames. I really need to find a job where I get days off every week, and with how scarce junior level jobs are here, I feel like a cert might help me stand out. I just want to know how long it will take when, on average, I have less than 10 hours a week to study.

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

Does anyone have any experience with any of the securitytube.net courses? Specifically interested in the python course http://www.securitytube-training.com/online-courses/securitytube-python-scripting-expert/index.html

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I know this is a weird question, but how long does it take on average to study for a CCENT? My experience so far is the A+ and what little I've picked up from being a field tech. I know what DNS is, I know what DHCP is, I know MACs, FQDNs, and Hostnames. I really need to find a job where I get days off every week, and with how scarce junior level jobs are here, I feel like a cert might help me stand out. I just want to know how long it will take when, on average, I have less than 10 hours a week to study.

It might be worth sitting the N+ before the CCENT as I don't know if the CCENT will drop you too far in the deep end. I did N+ followed by CCENT, and used the CBT Nuggets videos for the ICND1 which I thought were excellent. If you can put aside £200 or equivalent for some cheap lab kit you will be able to do your labs. You can do it virtually for free but I found when I was inexperienced it was nice to have the kit infront of me and actually see the lights and the cables and stuff. I'd guess by the time I watched the videos, did my labs and practice tests and then brushed up on the areas where I felt weak after the labs, it was probably around 50 hours?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
he knows...

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I would estimate I studied 100-150 hours for the ccna and still felt overwhelmed at the massive amount of info I had to memorize.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
So I'm doing pretty good on the CCCure quizzes for my CISSP but I'm getting kind of worried that the material is out of date in the question bank- this stuff hasn't really changed since the early 90s so I'm guessing physical and networks comms questions from 2001 and 2004 are still valid, right?

That said, I'm hitting 90% so I think I'm good to go for next Thursday- any last minute tips?

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

Immanentized posted:

So I'm doing pretty good on the CCCure quizzes for my CISSP but I'm getting kind of worried that the material is out of date in the question bank- this stuff hasn't really changed since the early 90s so I'm guessing physical and networks comms questions from 2001 and 2004 are still valid, right?

That said, I'm hitting 90% so I think I'm good to go for next Thursday- any last minute tips?

https://cccure.training/m/articles/view/Cram-Study-Guide-for-the-CISSP-Exam

Check out the "sunflower" guide and the Michael Overly guide. The last and first respective download links at the bottom... Good last minute study notes. Otherwise I wouldn't bother doing anything the day before. If you don't know it by then you aren't gonna learn it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Anyone try out the new ROUTE/SWITCH guides yet?

TeamIce
Mar 16, 2004
LET JESUS FUCK YOU

Alain Post posted:

Anyone try out the new ROUTE/SWITCH guides yet?

Currently using the 300-101 guide by Kevin Wallace to study for ROUTE - taking the exam Saturday.

Zhiwau
Sep 13, 2005
Wouldn't everything look more dull without this message?
To the Goons that got certified in Network+ and used the sybex book to study: did you find the test any harder than the practice questions?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Failed the 1Y0-200. 66% required, got a 63%. gently caress.

I wish I knew if it was one thing I thought I did right in a simulation that was the issue, because I could have sworn I configured it correctly. Gonna have to go back and see.

Don't use the Xendestop Cookbook as exam prep. Which sucks because now I'm basically gonna have to compile Citrix eDocs pages into a usable written prep guide.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Zhiwau posted:

To the Goons that got certified in Network+ and used the sybex book to study: did you find the test any harder than the practice questions?

From what I remember I thought the book questions were a bit harder. Once I sat down for the actual test I thought it was a breeze. Just remember all of the vocab they throw at you and how to subnet quickly.

ZergFluid
Feb 20, 2014

by XyloJW
Man oh man is Comptia "Project+" material is so dull. :negative:

(Necessary for WGU class.)

ZergFluid fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Mar 1, 2015

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?

ZergFluid posted:

Man oh man is Comptia "Project+" material is so dull. :negative:

(Necessary for WGU class.)

Hey I'm starting there myself soon. :haw:

Though hearing Project+ being dull is troubling...

ZergFluid
Feb 20, 2014

by XyloJW

Zeratanis posted:

Hey I'm starting there myself soon. :haw:

Though hearing Project+ being dull is troubling...

:hfive:

Don't get me wrong the material seems very doable but yea everyone complains about it being dry. It's also worth half of the minimum full-time credits load.

I started in October and my term ends in April. (I came in with an Associate's degree, the A+, Network+ and the CCNA) and completed two business classes and two certs for the term so far. If I were more diligent I could have completed twice that credit load. Good luck!

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
Just watched the first CBT nugget video for CCNA and this guy is coked out of his mind or something

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
Final question before I go in on Thursday- in your personal experiences, did you folks find the actual CISSP exam to be pretty similar to the prep or will this be like the CISA/CRMA where the prep stuff is ratched up a difficulty layer?

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Drunk Orc posted:

Just watched the first CBT nugget video for CCNA and this guy is coked out of his mind or something

It's loving amazing. Sooooo much better than the labsim guys.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

PneumonicBook posted:

It's loving amazing. Sooooo much better than the labsim guys.

I watched a 30 minute video and it wasn't god awful! At the end I thought this exact same thing :hfive:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Drunk Orc posted:

I watched a 30 minute video and it wasn't god awful! At the end I thought this exact same thing :hfive:

If you plan on making a lab I'd watch the 'Making a Lab' video sooner than later. You can probably get by with the Sims wgu has though.