Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Tomn posted:

Also, huh. It was cancer that killed the Lord-Sire, not any stupid plans?
Somehow I don't think this was an accident, one way or another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Anyone who wears Lord-Sire's super armor is a valid target for the Gargant Slayer.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

my dad posted:

Anyone who wears Lord-Sire's super armor is a valid target for the Gargant Slayer.

It helps that nobody of importance in the Imperium wears helmets.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

LowellDND posted:

Hunh.

Evidence that, once again, LowellDND planted clues that we all missed.

:golfclap:

So...Devries is a Chemdog made good. Tough enough to survive time in a Penal Legion, smart enough to want to get out, lucky enough to actually do so, charismatic enough to keep on ascending despite all the universe has sent against him?

poo poo, I dunno, maybe we SHOULD let this fucker become the new Lord-Sire. I think he'd be better at than we would! Besides, we don't actually want to get bogged down running the ship, do we? We want to be building stuff, taking other stuff apart, and building new stuff from the parts! Who's got time for that and running a space hulk?

We should really consider letting Devries run the ship while we take over as the new Magos.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

LowellDND posted:

Slice of Life XXXV
“Where is the power armor?”
“Ah… it says here “The Custodians” took it. No explanation.”
“Why wasn’t I notified?”
“I… I don’t know.”

:siren: Yes, the magpies are confirmed to be on board :D

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

sheep-dodger posted:

:siren: Yes, the magpies are confirmed to be on board :D

:D

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

jng2058 posted:

So...Devries is a Chemdog made good. Tough enough to survive time in a Penal Legion, smart enough to want to get out, lucky enough to actually do so, charismatic enough to keep on ascending despite all the universe has sent against him?

poo poo, I dunno, maybe we SHOULD let this fucker become the new Lord-Sire. I think he'd be better at than we would! Besides, we don't actually want to get bogged down running the ship, do we? We want to be building stuff, taking other stuff apart, and building new stuff from the parts! Who's got time for that and running a space hulk?

We should really consider letting Devries run the ship while we take over as the new Magos.

You know, I'm actually gonna support this. Devries is clearly good material. The fact that he's so borderline heretic actually speaks for him, not against him. He's one of the characters more likely to be in favor of some drastic change in the way the Imperium goes. By no means do we suck up to him. We move to inherit the Magos position, and a Lord Sire knows he shouldn't gently caress with the Magos if he likes his engines to work.

Besides, a Chem Dog would be good at this poo poo. And IF we DO become Lord-Sire, perhaps we could make him seneschal.

Also, best way to deal with Blood Magpies. Send thieves after thieves.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
He's certainly proven his strength. But if it turns out he killed Limosa, he's going down.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

jng2058 posted:

This is crazy talk. You're crazy. gently caress Devries. He's got it coming.

So our new Beau is to lead the organized military resistance against Devries, Tanya can help with special ops, Pax can dig and dig and dig with a dog for his plans and his power-bases....
We need to get a pet psyker.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

So just so it's officially out there, our medicae mechadendrite has room for six doses of drugs, I'd like to load the dream juice we have up and if possible get some De-Tox for future Devries meetups, Admylladox and Kalma are plusses too.

De-Tox nulls out the effects of drugs and toxins with the fun side effects such as debilitating pain, vomiting, nose bleeding, and voiding of the bowels! Dreamjuice is fun because it makes people super receptive to being interrogated. Kalma is great because it makes people super compliant and passive so you can lead them around without fear of them running away. Admylladox is just a general painkiller :v:.

Staying away from the combat drugs because we're already busted enough as is. :kiddo:

gently caress letting Devries be Lord Sire dude drug enslaved a commissar, nothing says he won't do the same to Fabulous.

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 25, 2015

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

11:35 Grognan Also who else do we know that died with massive fast growing teratomas?
11:35 Grognan (devries)
11:35 Grognan Lord-Sire is not dead
11:35 Grognan He'll be back
11:37 DogKisser wait dammit i totally missed the teratomas
11:37 DogKisser that's a hell of a red flag
11:37 Grognan Devries offering his cloning services to Lor-Sire
11:37 Grognan Lord-Sire
11:38 Grognan might explain his rapid and cloaked ascent
11:38 Shogeton ... huh
11:38 Grognan He needed him for something
11:38 Shogeton That... makes a lot of sense

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Hey, we gonna reform the Empire, we're gonna have to do a lot worse. And for all we know, that Commissar dude was a huge prick or something. The task we have before us is gigantic. We'll need all the aid we can get.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Shogeton posted:

Hey, we gonna reform the Empire, we're gonna have to do a lot worse. And for all we know, that Commissar dude was a huge prick or something. The task we have before us is gigantic. We'll need all the aid we can get.
I know this is 40k(ish), but we have options that are a hell of a lot more trustworthy.

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!

jng2058 posted:

NOPE! I want to see devries die. Even if he his potentially useful, he's too ambitious and too much of a pain in the rear end to let him live. Besides, we're gonna be the new lord-sire.

Globofglob
Jan 14, 2008
[/b] No to letting Devries live. [/b]

I want this fucker dead.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Get a sample of Lord-Sire's tissue at the funeral. Use a servo-skull to do it if you have to, but do it.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

my dad posted:

Get a sample of Lord-Sire's tissue at the funeral. Use a servo-skull to do it if you have to, but do it.

Doubt we'll even need to go sneaky with it - we're his potential heir, we can just walk up and touch him in our grief. And we can definitely take samples by touch - we did at the wedding.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

We'll probably have to touch him for cake cutting, so easy shot there.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
No matter what happens, Devries needs to die.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
I will note, in passing, that if we take up with Devries we're going to make a committed, eternal enemy of Sincera Pax. Not that she would matter much from a purely pragmatic perspective since she's just one person in an alien environment entirely dependent on our support for survival, but, y'know, it's Pax or Devries.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
The real problem though?
He laughed at us. Some jumped up little drug smuggler laughed at us, a Rogue Trader and war hero. We can't allow people who laugh at us to live, it might prove infectious.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

A Darker Porpoise posted:

gently caress letting Devries be Lord Sire dude drug enslaved a commissar, nothing says he won't do the same to Fabulous.

We says. If we're the Magos, he doesn't gently caress with our people. Of course, if he's Lord-Sire, we don'[t gently caress with his either...

Something else to consider is the way things are balancing. We've got the From Below elements, but he's got the From Above. IE, he can make it damned hard for us to exercise control of the Beast by turning the nobles and Greycloaks against us. Deals would sour, bureaucracies would thwart, contacts would suddenly become frigid. But equally, we can use our control of the lower decks to gently caress with a Lord-Sire Devries. Oops, engines aren't working. No, you can't launch any more freighters, the hangers are broken. Sorry, the port side guns won't fire. I wonder why that is?

Unless you guys turn around on the Launch a Bloody Coup plan, we may not be able to rule effectively (or long) as Lord-Sire without some kind of deal with Devries. On the other hand, if we're in place to balance him as the new Magos we can do the stuff we want to do (Mechanicus stuff) rather than getting bogged down in the stuff we don't want to do (trade pacts, police the family, make money) and instead let Devries do all that for us. Face it, the dude's better at that stuff than we are.

Globofglob posted:

No to letting Devries live.

I want this fucker dead.

I get the emotion, but let's turn off the meat and let the machine logic. We've got a 97% at logic, you know. Check the sheet!

Do we really WANT to be Lord-Sire? Think about what that entails, and what it rules out. Do you like learning things in the lab? Lord-Sire doesn't get much lab time. Do you like exploring ancient ruins and leading your retinue? Lord-Sire rarely, if ever, leaves the Beast. Do we enjoy spending our time neck deep in family politics? Because that's most of the Lord-Sire's job. Is the accumulation of wealth your primary motive? If you're the Lord-Sire it is, or you won't be Lord-Sire for very long. Or alive, for that matter.

Wouldn't we be both happier and better at our job if we were Magos instead of Lord-Sire?

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Letting Devries live is incredibly loving stupid. Even if Ohone calls a truce he's still going to try and kill her and every possible turn. She knows way too much and is way too powerful even if she decides to become Magos and forgo the whole Rogue Trader aspirations

Globofglob
Jan 14, 2008

Colonel Wood posted:

Letting Devries live is incredibly loving stupid. Even if Ohone calls a truce he's still going to try and kill her and every possible turn. She knows way too much and is way too powerful even if she decides to become Magos and forgo the whole Rogue Trader aspirations

Exactly this. It's us or Devries.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
The problem is, we may show mercy to DeVries, but he won't show mercy to us. We are too powerful to tolerate.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

jng2058 posted:

Unless you guys turn around on the Launch a Bloody Coup plan, we may not be able to rule effectively (or long) as Lord-Sire without some kind of deal with Devries. On the other hand, if we're in place to balance him as the new Magos we can do the stuff we want to do (Mechanicus stuff) rather than getting bogged down in the stuff we don't want to do (trade pacts, police the family, make money) and instead let Devries do all that for us. Face it, the dude's better at that stuff than we are.

I get the emotion, but let's turn off the meat and let the machine logic. We've got a 97% at logic, you know. Check the sheet!

Do we really WANT to be Lord-Sire? Think about what that entails, and what it rules out. Do you like learning things in the lab? Lord-Sire doesn't get much lab time. Do you like exploring ancient ruins and leading your retinue? Lord-Sire rarely, if ever, leaves the Beast. Do we enjoy spending our time neck deep in family politics? Because that's most of the Lord-Sire's job. Is the accumulation of wealth your primary motive? If you're the Lord-Sire it is, or you won't be Lord-Sire for very long. Or alive, for that matter.

Wouldn't we be both happier and better at our job if we were Magos instead of Lord-Sire?

We can't trust Devries. Ever. There can be no working relationship. He's proven himself a danger to any organization he's been a part of. When he's out of the way, that's it. No more heirs who can oppose us competently, unless Amacita really is playing the longest game of deep cover lunacy (which I have yet to rule out).

If we're the only heir with enough clout and all the guns, we win period. The family has fallen in line before, and they will again. It's time to go to war, which we are good at. All Devries is good at is manipulating people and surviving. It's time to take his advantages away.

Yes, we absolutely WANT TO BE LORD-SIRE. When we are, we answer to no one, not even the drat Inquisition. We will finally, FINALLY, have the power to do whatever we want to improve the Imperium. We can always recruit dozens of tech-priests to do our lab work for us, and reap the data without spending the time.

VanSandman fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Feb 25, 2015

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Just because we don't want to be Lord-Sire doesn't mean that Devries should be. There are other options, such as Commissar Fabulous, or a no-name.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Fabius would make a horrible Rogue Trader, although he would be a good figurehead. Now... if only there was someone aboard the ship who is extremely experienced in shadowy finance business, and more than willing to help if given free reign by their superiors...

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Jng is operating under the assumption Devries leaves us alone if we forgo the Rogue Trader role. There's no way that's gonna happen. Why would he leave his biggest rival alive to eventually take over the Magos role and lead the biggest rival faction and increase her power? Makes no sense. Devries would likely try to kill Ohone and replace the Magos with a puppet. Truces don't mean poo poo to someone like him. Ship tradition or no, all he wants is power

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I know we hinted at it, but it feels like the biggest "crime" that Devries has committed is the whole cloning business, and it seems a much better weapon again him that just mumbling something about him being a bad man.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

While I do think that Devries would make an excellent Lord-Sire, I'm willing to consider other candidates...though really, Pax is way too lawful goody to last a year as a Lord-Sire...I just want us to pause and consider whether WE should be Lord-Sire. And the more I think about it, the more I think that we probably shouldn't.

Also, y'all might want to consider the possibility that we won't be ABLE to stop Devries from becoming Lord-Sire at this point. We've been out of commission for weeks, maybe months, and he's had all that time to build power while ours was slipping away.

(Which is another reason we shoulda couped BEFORE the wedding, BTW, not that I'm bitter or anything....)

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Doing a coup just as an Inquisitorial retinue is about to arrest you is bad for health.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

jng2058 posted:

...though really, Pax is way too lawful goody to last a year as a Lord-Sire...

Guys, I just had an idea that's even crazier and more hilarious than a wedding at a funeral.

Seriously, think about it. The Adventures of Sincera Pax, Honest Rogue Trader!

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!
I certainly think that we should be the lord-sire, and if were not, then make fab the lord-sire and just control him from behind the scenes. Alternatively, become the lord sire then just change the rules to allow us to be magos as well.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I don't care much who becomes Lord-Sire as long as it is not Devries, though Amacita would probably be a hilarious failure at the job.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Tomn posted:

I will note, in passing, that if we take up with Devries we're going to make a committed, eternal enemy of Sincera Pax. Not that she would matter much from a purely pragmatic perspective since she's just one person in an alien environment entirely dependent on our support for survival, but, y'know, it's Pax or Devries.

This is a good argument, and I really do like Sincera Pax. So Removing my vote for breaking bread with De Vries

However, might I note that if what you want is vengeance against De Vries, and not just removing him out of calculations, dumping him back on his hellish slaveworld of Savlar would likely be a fate worse than death? Seriously, Chem Dogs don't get threatened with execution. They get threatened by being sent back home.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Shogeton posted:

This is a good argument, and I really do like Sincera Pax. So Removing my vote for breaking bread with De Vries

However, might I note that if what you want is vengeance against De Vries, and not just removing him out of calculations, dumping him back on his hellish slaveworld of Savlar would likely be a fate worse than death? Seriously, Chem Dogs don't get threatened with execution. They get threatened by being sent back home.

We ought not to care about punishing him. He's a piece of grit in our machine. We remove the grit and dispose of it, we don't need to worry about making the grit sorry for what it's done.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Colonel Wood posted:

Jng is operating under the assumption Devries leaves us alone if we forgo the Rogue Trader role. There's no way that's gonna happen. Why would he leave his biggest rival alive to eventually take over the Magos role and lead the biggest rival faction and increase her power? Makes no sense. Devries would likely try to kill Ohone and replace the Magos with a puppet. Truces don't mean poo poo to someone like him. Ship tradition or no, all he wants is power

Well there's a few of things about that.

First of all, Devries never tried to kill us. WE tried to kill HIM. Sure, he was going to blackmail us, but that's not the same as killing us. LIMOSA was the one who sicced the poor Rogue trader kid on us, not Devries.

Secondly, if he wanted to kill us, he probably could have. He's got the Alien Artifact of Improved Invisibility. Remember all that time we spent unconscious getting implants put in? How hard would it have been to use the Artifact to slip in and drop a melta-bomb under the operating table? And before you tell me about how invincible the Magos' security around us was, recall that WE used the damned thing to steal from the Magos' secret vaults! Even if he didn't do it then, he could have while we were just walking around on the planet or on the Beast or even while locked in a cell!

Thirdly, we're talking about Balance of Power. If we've got a tight enough control over the parts of the ship that make it go, Devries can' afford to kill us. The Beast needs to move to be worth anything and as Magos, we're the one who makes it move.

Fourthly, "all he wants is power" describes the last Lord-Sire too. In fact it probably describes ALL of them. Certainly it describes all the successful ones. The fact that we don't just want power is another reason we're not good for the job!

Tomn posted:

Guys, I just had an idea that's even crazier and more hilarious than a wedding at a funeral.

Seriously, think about it. The Adventures of Sincera Pax, Honest Rogue Trader!

....:aaa:

Well, we wouldn't last a year, but it'd be an INTERESTING year at least.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

jng2058 posted:

Fourthly, "all he wants is power" describes the last Lord-Sire too.

Didn't the last Lord-Sire spent the early days of his reign getting rid of all the former rivals to his position?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!

Tomn posted:

Didn't the last Lord-Sire spent the early days of his reign getting rid of all the former rivals to his position?

Yes he did.