Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

A Yolo Wizard posted:

I had those the other day in a dish and they don't even taste like anything whats the fuckin point

They soak up the flavor of everything else and add texture. That's why tripe is also amazing.

Worst thing I've eaten in China was kidneys though. By mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Monkey Fracas posted:

I actually kinda like their weird rubbery-with-a-little-give texture

i loving hate rubbery/slimy food

Grin and Tonic
Oct 20, 2008

having a blast online

Othin
Nov 20, 2002

Hair Elf
basketball leg girl has a pretty sweet rack

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

"One could be made for China, the handsome men of various street vendors/food stalls."

"When it comes to foreign men, as long as they aren’t too wrinkled and fat, they all look about the same."

Also, why does that 'doge' emote mean gay?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Shark's fin soup is nothing special aside from exorbitantly expensive. It was more of a status thing when ordered than a "this is super good" thing.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

This rules.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

The mighty Chinese dragon is hungry for your goods.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
My girlfriend's mom was born in Shanghai in the early 1950s. When she was a kid, she had a pet bunny. Like, explicitly a pet and not just some wild rabbit that hung around. One day, during the famine, she came home to find her pet inside - cooked and on the dinner table. :(

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
makes sense

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

MeatwadIsGod posted:

My girlfriend's mom was born in Shanghai in the early 1950s. When she was a kid, she had a pet bunny. Like, explicitly a pet and not just some wild rabbit that hung around. One day, during the famine, she came home to find her pet inside - cooked and on the dinner table. :(

at least she didn't have to eat her parents rotting corpses, like all the regular starving children.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

MeatwadIsGod posted:

My ex wife's dad had a pet dog back in Thailand, and had a similar experience of finding fido on the dinner table in lean times. He is also a child molester, makes you think.

Zipline
May 9, 2013

`Nemesis posted:

My ex wife's dad had a pet dog back in Thailand, and had a similar experience of finding fido on the dinner table in lean times. He is also a child molester, makes you think.

Well, no, not really. Your implication that it should sure does though. Suggesting Asian + seeing pet eaten in times of famine = child molester?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I dunno man, you have some guy going up to your daughter asking if he can inspect her puppies, you know something wrong with 'dat.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Zipline posted:

Well, no, not really. Your implication that it should sure does though. Suggesting Asian + seeing pet eaten in times of famine = child molester?

Reminder: you are in gbs

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
if you were starving, you'd eat your beloved pet as well

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

Zipline posted:

If someone is starved of food, and willing to eat a beloved pet. Then we cant say what they'd do if starved of sex

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Blistex posted:

I love wood ear! It's pretty much a "texture only" food, and will only pick up flavour if you soak it in something like vinegar or chili oil.

That was basically my experience with Tofu as a child.

Unfortunately, the flavor was onions which I did not like as a kid.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

computer parts posted:

Unfortunately, the flavor was onions which I did not like as a kid.

It's really good in Malatang 麻辣烫 which is when you typically go down a buffet line of fresh veggies, mushrooms, meats, and other assorted ingredients, fill up your bowl, then they give it to the chef who cooks it in a spicy oil and then gives it back to you. Typically you dip the now cooked ingredients in vinegar and then eat. It's a really popular northern dish with tons of restaurants all over the place, but is originally a Sichuan dish. It's sort of like hot pot for those who have tried that.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Upon further thought, I actually think it's pretty great china is as un-hosed-up as it is with the lovely corrupt government they've had for so long

I mean weren't they basically a really big North Korea just like 50 years ago

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Monkey Fracas posted:

Upon further thought, I actually think it's pretty great china is as un-hosed-up as it is with the lovely corrupt government they've had for so long

They were indeed until recently like North Korea Best Korea was fifty years ago

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Zzulu posted:

if you were starving, you'd eat your beloved pet as well

No, actually, I would not.

I would eat my neighbor's beloved pet.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Gorgolflox posted:

What is going on? Is this a photoshop? Why hasn't anyone else commented on this? You all just scroll past the little girl with basketball legs to talk about Chinese food, education, or whatever? She has a basketball for legs.

She was never going to make it as a Basketball player, so she became a Basketball instead. Only in China, where any dream is possible.

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

Gorgolflox posted:

What is going on? Is this a photoshop? Why hasn't anyone else commented on this? You all just scroll past the little girl with basketball legs to talk about Chinese food, education, or whatever? She has a basketball for legs.

You need to be the ball

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
60 pages and not one mention of If You Are The One. hosed up.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Monkey Fracas posted:

During the best parts of the Cultural Revolution, North Korea had to post soldiers on the border with China to keep Chinese refugees out! (a lot of this had to do with the massive amounts of aid being sent to North Korea from China and Russia).

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Blistex posted:

During the best parts of the Cultural Revolution, North Korea had to post soldiers on the border with China to keep Chinese refugees out! (a lot of this had to do with the massive amounts of aid being sent to North Korea from China and Russia).

North Korea once had the strongest economy in Asia and started to slip from that position in the 70's. In 1965 they dominated most of the statistical lists and it was due in part to being the welfare queen of Asia. The economy began declining in the early 80's when the DPRK invested heavily into mining minerals that were no longer as highly valued in the 80's as they were when they originally set up the scheme in the late 70's. It went into full spiral when the USSR collapsed and China didn't care as much due to no longer competing with the USSR like a father and mother after a messy divorce.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
i just realized i have no idea who the leader of china is

For the record, it is Xi Jinping

i have learned something today

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Zzulu posted:

i just realized i have no idea who the leader of china is

For the record, it is Xi Jinping

i have learned something today

I await more of what you learn about Xi

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

computer parts posted:

Silken Tofu in a sweet soup. It's like delicious pudding/custard

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Othin posted:

basketball leg girl has a pretty sweet rack

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva

Zzulu posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cb4K9vd_w2Y

She hopes to become a paraolympian and also eventually got proper robolegs after china discovered how cool she was :3:

Basketball Leg Girl is cool and is my new hero.

Azathoth Prime
Feb 20, 2004

Free 2nd day shipping on all eldritch horrors.

Xelkelvos posted:

Worst thing I've eaten in China was kidneys though. By mistake.

That's because they don't feed their political prisoners very well.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

Old mate above is maybe my favourite TV personality.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Assuming he is not the son of a millionaire, this man is a realist.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Fojar38 posted:

nuke china

MacArthur wanted to do just that, clearing a way to take over Russia as well. It would have been an interesting world.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

MacArthur wanted to do just that, clearing a way to take over Russia as well. It would have been an interesting world.

I dont know how the seppos would have handled it. They had to have japanese troops garrisoning the former japanese occupied SE Asia because allied forces were spread so thin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

LOL

in all seriousness, i hear this all the time. "i want to attend ___(fill in name)___ because i can study there and i want to learn at ___(fill in name)__ university." so i told one of the kids "ok, you can't just say that. would you tell a girl you want her to be your girlfriend because she is a girl, and you want a girl for a girlfriend?" and he goes "...why not?"

the best ever response to a question like this, though, was this kid i was working with who is in the US HS system now, no idea how he's doing, but we were doing interview practice and i asked him "if you could go anywhere in the world, where would you want to travel and what makes that place special?" and he literally told me "i would go to a place i want to go to, because this place is a place i would like to travel there, so if i could go to that place, then i would go there because i want to go there" and i actually did this :ughh:

• Locked thread