Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

goldboilermark posted:

LOL

in all seriousness, i hear this all the time. "i want to attend ___(fill in name)___ because i can study there and i want to learn at ___(fill in name)__ university." so i told one of the kids "ok, you can't just say that. would you tell a girl you want her to be your girlfriend because she is a girl, and you want a girl for a girlfriend?" and he goes "...why not?"

the best ever response to a question like this, though, was this kid i was working with who is in the US HS system now, no idea how he's doing, but we were doing interview practice and i asked him "if you could go anywhere in the world, where would you want to travel and what makes that place special?" and he literally told me "i would go to a place i want to go to, because this place is a place i would like to travel there, so if i could go to that place, then i would go there because i want to go there" and i actually did this :ughh:

China: Land of Imagination and Original Thought

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Big Willy Style posted:

Old mate above is maybe my favourite TV personality.

okay where can i find subtitled episodes of this cause i just watched some unsubbed one on youtube and it is loving hilarious. goony long haired white dude came on to massive applause. some girl is in like a monster lizardcat suit

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

simplefish posted:

They were indeed until recently like North Korea Best Korea was fifty years ago

Funded and propped up by the USSR?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

ranbo das posted:

To be fair if shark fin soup wasn't horrific in the way fins are harvested, I'd try it.

It's tasteless and the fins are only there for texture. Gordon Ramsey became furious when he tried it.

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

Zzulu posted:

i just realized i have no idea who the leader of china is

For the record, it is Xi Jinping

i have learned something today

Remember, it's not Eleven Jinping.

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster

ElGroucho posted:

China: Land of Imagination and Original Thought

It's almost as if someone attempted to wring all traces of cultural life out of Chinese society

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

MeatwadIsGod posted:

My girlfriend's mom was born in Shanghai in the early 1950s. When she was a kid, she had a pet bunny. Like, explicitly a pet and not just some wild rabbit that hung around. One day, during the famine, she came home to find her pet inside - cooked and on the dinner table. :(

We do this with pet rabbits when they get old here in the good ol USA. Hell, my cousin had a pet cow. I asked him how it was one day, the answer: "delicious".

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Peanut President posted:

We do this with pet rabbits when they get old here in the good ol USA. Hell, my cousin had a pet cow. I asked him how it was one day, the answer: "delicious".

same in UK: a guy I used to work for served up the family rabbit for dinner after it bit him. It was an rear end in a top hat

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

That's hilarious.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Tuxedo Gin posted:

okay where can i find subtitled episodes of this cause i just watched some unsubbed one on youtube and it is loving hilarious. goony long haired white dude came on to massive applause. some girl is in like a monster lizardcat suit

SBS airs it every weekday in Australia and should have it on their free streaming service but that might be subject to regional fuckery.

For those wondering, it is a dating show where a bloke goes infront of 30 odd single women. The women get a chance to decline the contestent on first impressions by turning off their light. If 25 of the women leave their lights on then the contestant and his potential date get a trip to the Aegean sea and a pair of 'fashion' shoes. If not he just has a chance at getting a date and that's it.

Then the candidates show 3 videos outlining their personality, past relationships, friends impressions , career and poo poo like that. The women get a chance to turn off their lights after each video. At the end, if there is one woman with with their lights on then male can choose to take them on a date or turn off their light and decline the date. If there are multiple women left then he gets to choose a personal question out of a list to ask the women and he then chooses his date.

Women who don't go on a date stay on the show until they do or until they quit I suppose. Over half of the guys don't get dates and the fat funny goony dudes usually get dates which is pretty cool. And a surprising number of guys decline dates as well . The skinny bald dude who sits on the side making GBS threads wisdom and dropping sick burns is the best part of the show.

Forgot to mention that at the start the candidate gets to choose his favourite girl. He gets a chance to ask her on date even if she has turned off her light. They usually decline but a surprising number of guys will still ask them on their date even when there are women with their lights on (who are guaranteed dates and often trips to the Aegean)

Chinese are loving picky daters

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
If that's 非誠勿擾, they had a problem with none of the popular (with the audience) girls ever agreeing to go on a date, because if they did they would of course not be on the dating show anymore that was making them famous and successful and stuff.

I do not like that show so I'm not sure how they ever solved that problem.1

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

Bloodnose posted:

If that's 非誠勿擾, they had a problem with none of the popular (with the audience) girls ever agreeing to go on a date, because if they did they would of course not be on the dating show anymore that was making them famous and successful and stuff.

I do not like that show so I'm not sure how they ever solved that problem.1

Yeah, that's the show. There were definitely a few favourites as it were, so I am not surprised that happened. I have a feeling they might get turfed after a season because I remember there suddenly being a heap of new faces .

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

It's tasteless and the fins are only there for texture. Gordon Ramsey became furious when he tried it.

The biggest problem with those status symbol foods is that massive growth of the Chinese middle class means they start demanding those luxuries in huge quantities and suddenly the shark populations start plummeting. The shark harvester Ramsay was able to interview even said they'd take a loss if they tried to haul in the whole shark because no one wants shark meat.

It's really just a tasteless gelatinous mess, but being able to afford to eat it is such an important mark of wealth that people are paying hundreds of dollars for tasteless shark fin in a clay bowl of spicy broth. It's like some kind of hyper-Edwardian excess where the rich English would consume huge quantities of bland/tasteless exotic animals just to show that they could.

We've seen tons of pictures of wealth on display from China, but their mass slaughter of endangered species for the TCM cures or meaningless food ranks pretty high on the "this is barbaric poo poo" scale.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

All the effort invested in making fake eggs, surprised there's not more of a market for fake shark fin. I mean.. 'lumpy globs of flavorless collagen' can't be that difficult.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

hailthefish posted:

All the effort invested in making fake eggs, surprised there's not more of a market for fake shark fin. I mean.. 'lumpy globs of flavorless collagen' can't be that difficult.

shark fin soup at your local Chinese restaurant is exactly that

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

For people talking about Chinese 'cuisine' you have to remember that while most cultures the world over have foods that they find distasteful, gross or simply taboo, the Chinese have none of these problems. If it is alive or came from something living and is not toxic, they will try their best to make it edible. Think of any animal except for perhaps Pekinese dogs and the Chinese will eat it.

This isn't to say that all their food is bad, in fact I like quite a bit of it. But the reason you only see Chinese in a truly Chinese restaurant is because their food is outside of the rest of world's tastes.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Tarkus posted:

For people talking about Chinese 'cuisine' you have to remember that while most cultures the world over have foods that they find distasteful, gross or simply taboo, the Chinese have none of these problems. If it is alive or came from something living and is not toxic, they will try their best to make it edible. Think of any animal except for perhaps Pekinese dogs and the Chinese will eat it.

This isn't to say that all their food is bad, in fact I like quite a bit of it. But the reason you only see Chinese in a truly Chinese restaurant is because their food is outside of the rest of world's tastes.

I am going to make it my mission in life to make the Pekingese extinct. By eating them all.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
You are massively overgeneralizing. There are definitely major regional taboos. For example, everyone but the Cantonese find eating cat distasteful, and Manchus are famously opposed to dog-eating (it's basically the only tangible example of Manchu culture left since they've been hanified to hell and back).

Deputy Dangerous
Mar 20, 2011

90% gravity

tropico 4 is fuckin great but that guy and his calling me "venerable leader" every 5 loving minutes asking for $7000

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

here's a translated episode of what i assume is the same dating show
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiFCWwKq2wg

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Bloodnose posted:

You are massively overgeneralizing. There are definitely major regional taboos. For example, everyone but the Cantonese find eating cat distasteful, and Manchus are famously opposed to dog-eating (it's basically the only tangible example of Manchu culture left since they've been hanified to hell and back).

Given the PRC's predilection for cultural homogeneity, is this something they're trying to stamp out?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Bloodnose posted:

There's also the Muslim Chinese minority who refuse to eat Pork (basically the staple meat Chinese Cuisine) and replace it with Lamb.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

pentyne posted:

Given the PRC's predilection for cultural homogeneity, is this something they're trying to stamp out?

Cultural and ethnic cleansing, you mean

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Bloodnose posted:

American Chinese food is loving delicious (when prepared well by talented people with good ingredients) and real Chinese food is often poo poo (the overwhelming majority of it is prepared by talentless people with the shittiest ingredients).

Like if you ever see the storeroom of a restaurant in China, it will be mostly filled with boxes stacked to the ceiling full of something called 味精, literally meaning "the essence of flavor." In America we know this marvelous ingredient as monosodium glutamate. It's a quick and cheap way to make poo poo taste like Chinese food.

Hear me now and believe me later: anyone who says that Chinese food from China is inherently superior to American Chinese food is a douchey hipster trying to show off how worldly he/she is. Like any cuisine anywhere on earth, it is mostly lovely stuff full of calories whose purpose is to be palatable enough that people will buy it when they feel hungry.

This man has horrible taste.

He rather eats in ruby Tuesday and subway instead of having dim sum. Heck even if you take him to fine dining Cantonese cuisine, he won't enjoy the seafood.

Because he doesn't really eat or enjoy pork, and shellfish.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
are you trying to be a douchy-hipster showing off how worldly you are caberham

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

Xelkelvos posted:

There's also the Muslim Chinese minority who refuse to eat Pork (basically the staple meat Chinese Cuisine) and replace it with Lamb.

There are actually several Muslim Chinese minorities (Uyghurs and Hui being the most well-known and numerous) and they have their own unique cuisines. But yes, they do avoid pig meat, as all Muslims do.

As a Jew, I frequent Muslim eateries in China since I know they're mostly kosher. Although they do play it faster and looser with seafood than we do.

e:

goldboilermark posted:

are you trying to be a douchy-hipster showing off how wordly you are caberham

thanks for having my back gbm

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Bloodnose posted:

thanks for having my back gbm

:glomp:

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
but really i was just asking, i like chinese food in china more than the west, but i still like western chinese food. i don't really think they are the same but i think both can be good, i just prefer it here more :shrug:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I would love to live in China for a few months. Sounds fun.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

goldboilermark posted:

are you trying to be a douchy-hipster showing off how worldly you are caberham

It's my culture please respect it

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

caberham posted:

It's my culture please respect it

i do, i have never eaten at ruby tuesday's in tianjin at eat local food/chinese food all the time here and love it

as long as everyone is happy that is most important :toot:

Anidav posted:

I would love to live in China for a few months. Sounds fun.

it owns

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

goldboilermark posted:

but really i was just asking, i like chinese food in china more than the west, but i still like western chinese food. i don't really think they are the same but i think both can be good, i just prefer it here more :shrug:

Lemon or orange chicken is actually super hard to make to get the sweetness right.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Davincie posted:

I was expecting something worse. This was very :3:

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

Davincie posted:

Nah, that's not it.

http://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/video/286649411983/If-You-Are-The-One-S5-Ep3

Maybe try using hola in chrome , change your region to aus and give it a shot

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Also, everyone, please enjoy my avatar. That is Hui Ruoqi, who is captain of the Chinese women's volleyball team. And she absolutely owns, and I love her without boundary, she is arguably one of the best outside hitters in the world. She plays professionally for Jiangsu, although it is my dream that she someday transfers to Tianjin Bohai, but we don't really need an outside hitter right now so it probably won't happen.

Here she is owning the Dominican Republic on tudou http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/lhHWK55TkFI/

She is number 12, the one making all of the sweet rear end plays. You're welcome! (Pardon the music, I didn't make the video.)

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

goldboilermark posted:

LOL

in all seriousness, i hear this all the time. "i want to attend ___(fill in name)___ because i can study there and i want to learn at ___(fill in name)__ university." so i told one of the kids "ok, you can't just say that. would you tell a girl you want her to be your girlfriend because she is a girl, and you want a girl for a girlfriend?" and he goes "...why not?"

the best ever response to a question like this, though, was this kid i was working with who is in the US HS system now, no idea how he's doing, but we were doing interview practice and i asked him "if you could go anywhere in the world, where would you want to travel and what makes that place special?" and he literally told me "i would go to a place i want to go to, because this place is a place i would like to travel there, so if i could go to that place, then i would go there because i want to go there" and i actually did this :ughh:

I have a dick, you have a vagina. I have a degree, you have a graduate program. so let's work something out here my friend, for our mutual benefit. lets skip all that formal mumbo jumbo.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Bloodnose posted:

Which region has a big ol' taboo against rabbit meat? Or am I thinking of Laos?

coloncalamity
Sep 12, 2007
hehe it's like diarrhea get it

Zzulu posted:

i just realized i have no idea who the leader of china is

For the record, it is Xi Jinping

i have learned something today

xi jinping fun facts: he plagiarized his dissertation at china's most prestigious university.

Wikipedia posted:

From 1998 to 2002, he studied Marxist philosophy and ideological education in an "on-the-job" postgraduate programme at the School of Humanities and Social Sciences, again at Tsinghua University, and obtained a Doctor of Law (LLD) degree, which was a degree covering fields of law, politics, management, and revolutionary history.[15] However, commentators have questioned this qualification, pointing out a series of problems with it. The Sunday Times of London commissioned scholars to read the unpublished PhD thesis who noted that the content has little to do with law, appears to contain no original research, and reads like a collection of quotes from existing published works.[16] Writer Joe Chung compared Xi's works with those of other scholars and found that numerous passages had been copied from previously published works or works published around the same time as Xi's. In one case, citations were shown to have been copied from another work, including misspellings and punctuation errors in that previously published work. Based on this research, Chung raised the question of whether Xi plagiarised his PhD.[17] The Sunday Times article also noted the poor esteem of his previous qualifications and speculated that the PhD was invented by a committee in order to improve Xi's public image.[citation needed]

i always thought tsinghua was pretty legit so i found this pretty disappointing. they're one of the only universities in china with any international recognition and this really compromises that image.

xi jinping fun facts #2: he didnt pursue a doctorate until almost twenty years after he received his bachelor's. his bachelor's degree is also garbage, even though it's likewise from the best university in china.

Wikipedia posted:

From 1975 to 1979, Xi studied chemical engineering at Beijing's prestigious Tsinghua University as a "Worker, Peasant, PLA" student (gongnongbing xuesheng). In 1975, education was more political and practical than professional, and Tsinghua University "was no longer so much a centre of learning, but functioned as a liaison office, where science and engineering majors spent 80% of their time on learning practical subjects and working in factories, 15% of their time studying Marxism–Leninism–Mao Zedong thought and 5% of their time doing farm work and "learning from the People's Liberation Army".[13] Commenting on the quality of this education, Joseph Fewsmith wrote; "it was probably a decent education, but not as good as he would have received prior to, much less after, the Cultural Revolution".[14]

i can't believe the communist party thought this guy would make a good president jesus christ

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Honestly? He doesn't seem to deviate much from the norm as far as Chairmen go.

'Sides, it's not like America suffered too much when it was run by a C-grade stude- oh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Question: Is he a good president? My Chinese girlfriend loves him.

• Locked thread