Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
wow they finally got deadlock

http://www.gog.com/game/deadlock_planetary_conquest

I haven't played the sequel but I remember enjoying the first one.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Feb 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Mordaedil posted:

Never played them, what is wrong with them?

Deponia seems like it's going with an anti-hero protagonist, and the way the game begins it appears there's some logic to him acting that way. But it turns out that he's just a colossal rear end in a top hat to everyone, all the time, for no reason at all. Not funny rear end in a top hat, just incredibly destructive and self centered. Even when you should have options the game forces you to do awful things in cutscenes in lieu of any actual choices.

Among other awful things: You have to randomly sedate your ex-girlfriend with a blowdart so you can steal from her more than you already have. In the more loathsome sequel your new girlfriend has a brain implant, and rather than get the chip you've been given money to buy, you're forced to get a cheaper one, after which you're forced to pretend to know how to fix it, break it, and split her personality into "baby (as in infant)," sporty", and "lady" personas. You murder dolphin pups to make cat food. And from what I hear about game three, you give children to a sexual predator to violate in order solve a puzzle.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Velius posted:

Deponia seems like it's going with an anti-hero protagonist, and the way the game begins it appears there's some logic to him acting that way. But it turns out that he's just a colossal rear end in a top hat to everyone, all the time, for no reason at all. Not funny rear end in a top hat, just incredibly destructive and self centered. Even when you should have options the game forces you to do awful things in cutscenes in lieu of any actual choices.

Among other awful things: You have to randomly sedate your ex-girlfriend with a blowdart so you can steal from her more than you already have. In the more loathsome sequel your new girlfriend has a brain implant, and rather than get the chip you've been given money to buy, you're forced to get a cheaper one, after which you're forced to pretend to know how to fix it, break it, and split her personality into "baby (as in infant)," sporty", and "lady" personas. You murder dolphin pups to make cat food. And from what I hear about game three, you give children to a sexual predator to violate in order solve a puzzle.

Don't forget using a black woman as an organ monkey! :shepface:. I have it sitting in my steam account because I was stupid enough to buy it blind. One day I'm going to hate myself enough to play it just to see how badly it shits the bed.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Chains of Satinav is also really bad too because it has the most cliche main protagonists imaginable, the utterly milquetoast loser male protagonist and the manic pixie dream girl female protagonist that has a mind of a child and that the male protagonist creeps on.

I hear its sequel, Memoria, is a lot better and having started it its already leagues better and actually could be quite good, the new female protagonist is actually interesting. It also feels that they got a new, actually good writer that recognized how creepy the relationship of the protagonists in the first game was and they take that apart and make the female protagonist realize how much of a creep the male protagonist has been the whole time. Though I did run into a bullshit puzzle that I need to check a guide on, which is a shame because the puzzles were solid in the first major part of the game.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Feb 27, 2015

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.

Velius posted:

Later, you give the kids to a giant sewer troll who was trying to swear off eating children, and you literally sit them on his teeth like little stools and then leave and when you come back the troll is gone with the kids. I was really hoping that the kids and the black lady you "sell" to a an Organ Grinder to replace his monkey (which was not funny and the whole reason you were able to was because you just seperated her from her boyfriend who is one of the only decent people in the drat game) would show up together near the end in a cameo, like the lady left and found the kids not eaten and helped them finally get out of the sewer and re-united with her boyfriend or something. But no, you never hear from any of them again, so you can just assume they are dead and/or miserable. I'm all for dark comedy but only if it's actually funny.

I really tried to like those games. The first had potential, the second ratcheted up the rear end in a top hat behavior and crude humor while basically just spinning it's wheels story wise, but it could have been redeemed if they didn't ratchet everything up even further well past the point where it was funny and then poo poo the bed royally at the end of the story. It's too bad because it was a waste of of great art.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
They fixed Star Wars Starfighter so it actually works with a controller now.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Velius posted:

It's actually worse in context. At first the protagonist's horribleness is set up as a parody of adventure game protagonists that do inexplicably mean and destructive things to solve puzzles (and this is an entirely valid observation! Adventure game writers seemed to have a weird predilection for having puzzles that can only be solved by hurting NPCs or breaking things). But as the games go on and on there's so little narrative payoff or consequences it gradually dawns on you that the protagonist might as well be a 100% example of what they're "parodying".

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

mycot posted:

It's actually worse in context. At first the protagonist's horribleness is set up as a parody of adventure game protagonists that do inexplicably mean and destructive things to solve puzzles (and this is an entirely valid observation! Adventure game writers seemed to have a weird predilection for having puzzles that can only be solved by hurting NPCs or breaking things). But as the games go on and on there's so little narrative payoff or consequences it gradually dawns on you that the protagonist might as well be a 100% example of what they're "parodying".

I think the last time I saw an adventure game effectively make fun of the protagonist's actions was the Space Quest series.

Edit: And I just found out Gary Owens died like two weeks ago. :negative: He was the voice of my childhood.

Magnus Praeda fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Feb 27, 2015

Mq
Jul 7, 2005
Lazy fat bastard
I knew that opinions on Deponia were mixed but honestly I thought that at 50 cents I might as well make up my own mind.

Accordion Man posted:

I hear its sequel, Memoria, is a lot better and having started it its already leagues better and actually could be quite good, the new female protagonist is actually interesting. It also feels that they got a new, actually good writer that recognized how creepy the relationship of the protagonists in the first game was and they take that apart and make the female protagonist realize how much of a creep the male protagonist has been the whole time. Though I did run into a bullshit puzzle that I need to check a guide on, which is a shame because the puzzles were solid in the first major part of the game.
Out of curiosity, was the puzzle in question the one with illusions room? Cause that one stumped me. Also glad that someone played and enjoyed that game too.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Mq posted:

I knew that opinions on Deponia were mixed but honestly I thought that at 50 cents I might as well make up my own mind.

Out of curiosity, was the puzzle in question the one with illusions room? Cause that one stumped me. Also glad that someone played and enjoyed that game too.
Nah, I'm still early in the game. Its a dialogue puzzle where you have to have Nuri lure the scientist away from the petrified people.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Magnus Praeda posted:

And I just found out Gary Owens died like two weeks ago. :negative: He was the voice of my childhood.

Yeah. He was supposed to narrate on the SpaceQuest spiritual sequel "SpaceVenture", a game I kickstarted and even tried to promote here on the forums. Sadly, it's been in a ridiculously convulted development process where nothing much has been done properly and now they have yet another big issue on their hands with losing Gary Owens' contribution to the project. A waste of $15 that was.

Gary Owens ended up dying due to complications of his type 1 diabetes, which he had been diagonized with at the age of 8. It's amazing he lived until such an old age.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Magnus Praeda posted:

I think the last time I saw an adventure game effectively make fun of the protagonist's actions was the Space Quest series.

Edit: And I just found out Gary Owens died like two weeks ago. :negative: He was the voice of my childhood.

Same here. :smith: He was half the reason I was so excited for SpaceVenture. But like Saoshyant said, the project's been going along really slowly, and with his passing, I wonder how they'll continue.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Saoshyant posted:

Gary Owens ended up dying due to complications of his type 1 diabetes, which he had been diagonized with at the age of 8. It's amazing he lived until such an old age.

I was not very familiar with Mr. Owens' video game contributions, but I well remember him from reruns of Laugh-In as a boy, the Garfield and Friends animated show, and of course Space Ghost in the original campy Hanna-Barbera series.

Requiescat in pace, Gary.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Horrible news: That potential NOLF rerelease on GOG that got teased by Night Dive is not happening.

http://kotaku.com/the-sad-story-behind-a-dead-pc-game-that-cant-come-back-1688358811

loving legal red tape is the worst.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Zeether posted:

Horrible news: That potential NOLF rerelease on GOG that got teased by Night Dive is not happening.

http://kotaku.com/the-sad-story-behind-a-dead-pc-game-that-cant-come-back-1688358811

loving legal red tape is the worst.

Hooray for big corporations of soulless pricks making GBS threads on gaming history because they are too busy ruining the world - thanks assholes. I have a legitimate copy of NOLF2 but pirated the poo poo out of the first one and Contract J.A.C.K., even though it is crap. If they don't care enough to let the game be sold, then I don't care about respecting their IP rights or whatever.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

JustJeff88 posted:

Hooray for big corporations of soulless pricks making GBS threads on gaming history because they are too busy ruining the world - thanks assholes. I have a legitimate copy of NOLF2 but pirated the poo poo out of the first one and Contract J.A.C.K., even though it is crap. If they don't care enough to let the game be sold, then I don't care about respecting their IP rights or whatever.

That'll show 'em!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Oldstench posted:

That'll show 'em!

Whatever, nobody is here to "teach them a lesson" so just pirate the poo poo out of NOLF if you want to play it. I can tell you the original's installer doesn't like 64-bit but you can move all the files off the CD and it works fine. NOLF2 installs and plays with no issues. Don't know about Windows 8.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

quote:

"We had managed to get a hold of the source code for the first game and the second game. We had already created a laundry list of updates and enhancements and bug-fixes that we wanted to do to the original titles," he said.

Aw, man. :(

Good to hear you can still install them with little trouble, though.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

In my mind Warner Bros. is actually mad that Contract JACK wasn't getting any love and nobody wants to touch that turd.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

DOTEmu is actually having a pretty decent sale this week: http://www.dotemu.com/en/pc-games/discounted

Golden Axe for 75 cents for me, but also Majesty HD or Jagged Alliance 2 for $2.50, some stuff that isn't on GOG anymore like Jane's Fleet Command.

and of course Nicky Boom

Hidden Asbestos
Nov 24, 2003
[placeholder]
It's going to be weird not seeing a "The Witcher 3 -10%" panel, top-right everytime I go to the site when it eventually releases.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

doctorfrog posted:

DOTEmu is actually having a pretty decent sale this week: http://www.dotemu.com/en/pc-games/discounted

Golden Axe for 75 cents for me, but also Majesty HD or Jagged Alliance 2 for $2.50, some stuff that isn't on GOG anymore like Jane's Fleet Command.
This is all you need http://www.dotemu.com/en/download-game/1480/dotemu-collection-vol1

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Just got this press release, there's a new sale event starting today:

quote:

Half the sleep, twice the fun, and literally double the everything. The Double Insomnia promo will feature more games than ever, and two simultaneous pools of games: Seasoned classics and Fresh new titles. Starting on Monday, March 2, at 2:00 PM GMT, gamers worldwide can once again miss their sleep, important appointments, and all other miscellaneous obligations.

The rules are simple:

All sales are offered in limited quantities, and the number of copies remaining is labeled with a huge counter. Only one game from either pool of games can be on sale at one time. But once a game sells out, another will immediately take its place so that two are always available. If you missed your chance, fear not but keep your eyes open! Your favorite game will probably be back. Insomnia mercilessly goes on, day and night, until every single unit is gone like a carousel of deals. You might even have a chance to get a free game, if you're lucky that is.

The promo will feature 150+ great games, all up to 90% off, including the highest discounts ever available on big names like Wasteland 2, Legend of Grimrock 2, Star Wars™: X-Wing, and The Vanishing of Ethan Carter . As usual, gamers can also expect Insomnia-low prices on countless classics including Jade Empire, Unreal Gold, Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura.

It's dangerous to go alone! GOG.com is also organising a constant 96-hour broadcast on Twitch.tv/gogcom, where community streamers and GOG.com staff will be playing games day and night. Best. Sleepover. Ever.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
At least we know Jack Keane 2's not making another appearance :shepface:.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Neddy Seagoon posted:

At least we know Jack Keane 2's not making another appearance :shepface:.
RIP, we will never forget.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Finally got around to trying the Tex Murphy games (specifically Under a Killing Moon), and good lordy who thought analogue mouse movement was a good idea? The writing's fun though :allears:.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Oh yeah, the sale started. Currently a handful copies of Driftmoon 85% off and Great Battles Collector's Edition at 75% off.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Saoshyant posted:

Oh yeah, the sale started. Currently a handful copies of Driftmoon 85% off and Great Battles Collector's Edition at 75% off.

Driftmoon's already gone. It's replaced with Pixeljunk Shooter.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I'm very interested in Sunless Sea. Do you think it likely it will come up for sale?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Sunless Sea came out like a month ago and to a pretty amazing reception by critics and players. You will most likely have to wait for Summer until it goes on sale.

Also, someone buy all those copies of Sir You Are Being Hunted and Vampire Redemption. I wanna see new deals.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Saoshyant posted:

Sunless Sea came out like a month ago and to a pretty amazing reception by critics and players. You will most likely have to wait for Summer until it goes on sale.

Also, someone buy all those copies of Sir You Are Being Hunted and Vampire Redemption. I wanna see new deals.

Hell, people should buy Hunted just because it's a cool little game.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Gobblecoque posted:

Hell, people should buy Hunted just because it's a cool little game.

It is. It's not my kind of game per se, but it is very atmospheric and tense.

Edit: It is also very British. Very, very British.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

It's off the table now, but SYABH should eventually have cooperative multiplayer, which might add that little something it seems to be missing (I say this having bought it full price).

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Just picked up Vanishing of Ethan Carter for $8. Lowest I've seen it go anywhere thus far.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Insomnia sale time :getin: what will be this year's jack keane 2

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
X-Wing half off gone

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Mar 2, 2015

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
X-wing went pretty quickly. By the time I added it to my cart and actually completed the checkout process, it went from 200 to 125

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
Ah. this year's Jack Keane 2 is going to be one of the movies, isn't it?

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Prenton posted:

Ah. this year's Jack Keane 2 is going to be one of the movies, isn't it?

Yep. Will be interesting to see if any movie sells well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Well, there's a movie there called Ink. It's nearly sold out. Maybe people are confusing it with a game? :v:

e: it sold out and is replaced by Wasteland 2 at 60% off.