Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
When I get my raptor I was thinking about getting one of those tool storage cases that go in the bed to use as a trunk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Sir Lucius posted:

When I get my raptor I was thinking about getting one of those tool storage cases that go in the bed to use as a trunk.

Classy and functional.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Howard Phillips posted:

Do people actually use the beds of the trucks they buy?

I've been stowing snow in mine recent
ly.

Sir Lucius posted:

I'm thinking about getting an older 4x4 and a bed shell to camp in for kayaking / hiking / snowboarding. My current pos 01 Silverado doesn't do very well on icy Colorado roads

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Feb 24, 2015

Akula Raskolnikova
May 12, 2013
There is a palpable tension in the room as I check my phone for the third time this minute, hoping the inch of snow we just got is enough to keep me home tomorrow, or at least give me an extra two hours of sleep. So far, only disappointment.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Akula Raskolnikova posted:

There is a palpable tension in the room as I check my phone for the third time this minute, hoping the inch of snow we just got is enough to keep me home tomorrow, or at least give me an extra two hours of sleep. So far, only disappointment.

Commie Pig

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Akula Raskolnikova posted:

You not want to serve your country why??? Founding fathers cry evry tim

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
If only you had a Raptor then snow aint poo poo.
:smuggo:

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Howard Phillips posted:

If only you had a Raptor then snow aint poo poo.
:smuggo:

:chiefsay:

Make sure you go to a personal financial counseling with some dude who makes awful financial decisions before buying your Camaro/Raptor/Tesla .

Akula Raskolnikova
May 12, 2013
Unfortunately, I had to come in today. But they're calling for ~8 inches tonight, so hope remains for a 4 day weekend. My Navy is the best Navy.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Laranzu posted:

Make sure you go to a personal financial counseling with some dude who makes awful financial decisions before buying your Camaro/Raptor/Tesla .

My boats financial counselor was a guy with a gambling problem, the Dapa was a guy with a drinking problem, and this leads me to believe the guy in charge of sapr was a rapist.

Cmeo is a racist

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Fart Sandwiches posted:

My boats financial counselor was a guy with a gambling problem, the Dapa was a guy with a drinking problem, and this leads me to believe the guy in charge of sapr was a rapist.

Cmeo is a racist

I think the requirement is for CMEOs to be black lovely Chiefs, helps if they're the president of the "I'm awesome" club. Our DAPA is definitely a drunk. He doesn't seem to have a problem though. Actually he's REALLY good at it. Helps that CMC is a sexist drunk, too.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Sir Lucius posted:

should do like 3 of our 2nd classes and buy a brand new porsche custom to order.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

On a different note does it make sense to keep contributing to TSP if I plan on separating in 3 years? The expense ratio in TSP is the best deal out there but I won't be able to make contributions after getting out.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Yes it makes sense to keep contributing until you can't.

I use Vanguard, the ratios are only beaten by TSP.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Boon posted:

Yes it makes sense to keep contributing until you can't.

I use Vanguard, the ratios are only beaten by TSP.

Yeah I use Vanguard for my Roth ira as well. Gotta start building my grad school/looking for job fund as well.

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!
I was gonna look up how it worked but since I re-upped recently I put it off in regards to Roth TSP. After someone gets out, is it better to just let it sit in and accrue interest or can you transfer the money to your civilian Roth account? Since I technically paid the tax up front by paying in to it, I shouldn't get taxed if/when I transfer, right?

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

germskr posted:

I was gonna look up how it worked but since I re-upped recently I put it off in regards to Roth TSP. After someone gets out, is it better to just let it sit in and accrue interest or can you transfer the money to your civilian Roth account? Since I technically paid the tax up front by paying in to it, I shouldn't get taxed if/when I transfer, right?

TSP deposits are actually pre-tax IIRC. If you transfer it there is no tax either. It's only upon withdrawal that you are taxed. I did the retard thing and withdrew mine instead of rolling it into my 401k and took a decent tax hit but then again I have nice new floors.

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!

Fart Sandwiches posted:

TSP deposits are actually pre-tax IIRC. If you transfer it there is no tax either. It's only upon withdrawal that you are taxed. I did the retard thing and withdrew mine instead of rolling it into my 401k and took a decent tax hit but then again I have nice new floors.

It was about 2-3 years ago they started offering Roth TSP in addition to traditional TSP. Roth contributions get taxed at what you put in but everything you make over the life of the account is tax free- or so the liberals say, things may change when I reach retirement age.

Also, not sure if this has been covered but they named a LCS after Gabby Giffords and it's due to hit the water soon. Anyone else see the irony in naming a warship after someone who is anti-gun and part of a party that is generally anti-DOD spending?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

germskr posted:

It was about 2-3 years ago they started offering Roth TSP in addition to traditional TSP. Roth contributions get taxed at what you put in but everything you make over the life of the account is tax free- or so the liberals say, things may change when I reach retirement age.

Also, not sure if this has been covered but they named a LCS after Gabby Giffords and it's due to hit the water soon. Anyone else see the irony in naming a warship after someone who is anti-gun and part of a party that is generally anti-DOD spending?

Some sort of joke about astronauts and being able to operate with no brain at the helm but I'm not a writer.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
http://teespring.com/ordinary_sailor?p=p

LIMMITED EDITION.

I can't stop laughing at this.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

vulturesrow posted:

http://teespring.com/ordinary_sailor?p=p

LIMMITED EDITION.

I can't stop laughing at this.

Only 5 more needed to print!

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Laranzu posted:

Buddy up and buy 2 or more to save on shipping.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Laranzu posted:

Still need 5 more! C'mon, PandaSmores, you know you want one.

Question: Isn't one of you goons a Legal type with overseas experience? Demi Moore? Anyway, I have an overseas specific legal question - not advice, and I'm not in trouble. Hit me up, please?

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
ActusRhesus is a JAG I think.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Former JAG, but yeah she's pretty good about responding to PMs, too.

Also, contribute to your roth TSP at least and roll it into another roth IRA that you can contribute to when you get out.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

poopkitty posted:

Question: Isn't one of you goons a Legal type with overseas experience? Demi Moore? Anyway, I have an overseas specific legal question - not advice, and I'm not in trouble. Hit me up, please?

I'd buy one but my Tesla might get repo'd if I don't make these payments. At least I'm able to charge it up at a friend's house!

Zero were sold hahahahaha!

Pandasmores fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Feb 27, 2015

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

So.... apparently we are having a captains mast with around 15 underage drinking sailors. Go Corry! Somehow I doubt its a record.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
How come there are no SWO TV shows?
A good title for a SWO-based sitcom would be JO Jungle.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

So.... apparently we are having a captains mast with around 15 underage drinking sailors. Go Corry! Somehow I doubt its a record.

drat, at Great Lakes we had about 20 dudes go to Mast for running a train on someone at a party.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Pandasmores posted:

drat, at Great Lakes we had about 20 dudes go to Mast for running a train on someone at a party.

Was it rape or just frat?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

It's always rape

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

It's always rape

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I was told to leave mast for being LLD. Standing room only. No seats for cripples. Dang.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

LingcodKilla posted:

I was told to leave mast for being LLD. Standing room only. No seats for cripples. Dang.

Well they're doing it to send a message to all the young idiots. I don't think you're quite in the target demographic. You're probably pretty close to the same age as the guy that's conducting the mast.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

poopkitty posted:

former JAG.

what's up?

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Applewhite posted:

Was it rape or just frat?

Frat, but our CO and the base CO counted it as rape since she was super drunk even though they had started before they had been drinking. People just kept jumping in and some people went to Mast simply because they didn't stop it. Oh hotel parties. I think she was engaged too and her husband to be was a reservist off in bumfuck wherever the hell she was from.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

Well they're doing it to send a message to all the young idiots. I don't think you're quite in the target demographic. You're probably pretty close to the same age as the guy that's conducting the mast.

I got the best Navy luck. I just got moved to the first floor of the quarterdeck(swank) with a doctors notice and now (one day later) I'm one hairbreadth away of getting kicked out to make room for all the restricted punks getting moved in.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Pandasmores posted:

Frat, but our CO and the base CO counted it as rape since she was super drunk even though they had started before they had been drinking. People just kept jumping in and some people went to Mast simply because they didn't stop it. Oh hotel parties. I think she was engaged too and her husband to be was a reservist off in bumfuck wherever the hell she was from.

Sounds like COs got it right.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Applewhite posted:

How come there are no SWO TV shows?
A good title for a SWO-based sitcom would be JO Jungle.

There was that dumb Last Ship or whatever it was called.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

ActusRhesus posted:

former JAG.

what's up?

Okay, so my kid beat up a little racist kid at school. His folks went to security (not mad - i would have too.) We got called in by CID for his pre-CAF interview where they mirandized him (like, no poo poo, same words) and had him initial each line item. (Standard Navy.) He's a teenager. In 8th grade. But when they said "lawyer," I said "Yup, that." Because last time we went to CAF, a bunch of punk kids used him as a scapegoat and I aint haven' that again. Only problem is that I can't find a lawyer. Because we're on base. And all of the legal beagles say "We don't do CAF hearings, that's not a legal thing." But CID said "You have the right to an attorney and if you cannot afford one, one will be appointed to you." This is not CA, I can't look in the phone book for Saul.

So my question is, now what? Did they gently caress up? They've been really quiet, and I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop, but I don't have time to wait for this BS. My kid got his 10 day suspension (the other kid was fine, BTW, just got his pride hurt and probably won't use the N-word again) and we made him write a paper and do a PPT. Do I just keep waiting for a lawyer to be appointed? Or should I just say gently caress it and let him talk? (This seems like a terrible idea to me. Kid had it coming to him and lots of other parents have messaged me and told me so but that doesn't make it right and it doesn't mean my son won't say as much.)

Everyone else, sorry for :words:

• Locked thread