Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I personally think this entire "trying to make people feel included" is silly- and I know a bunch of gay people who think the same way.
I mean, if somebody came up to me and said "I don't feel like this RPG is for me because they don't explicitly say I'm allowed to be gay", it would seem to me that the person is being petty. After all: RPGs are fueled by imaginations!
Why would anybody think you need "authorization" by the game's writer to be whatever you want to be?
Did any of the classic RPGs outright say "You're NOT ALLOWED TO BE GAY\TRANS\DOLPHIN" ?

Ahhh, but, I digress. The game still sounds great to me, and I can't wait to get my hands on the final product. (I soooo hope you reach the 9K goal! The adversarial mode + extra character options is what I want to see!)

P.S: Can't wait to run a super-sexist game in Hyboria. ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
I don't know what's more appalling: the people so proud of their bigotry or the people so proud of their lovely houserules.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

GrizzlyCow posted:

I don't know what's more appalling: the people so proud of their bigotry or the people so proud of their lovely houserules.

The answer is "the hobby so proud of the first group of people"

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Old grog, but new to me:

Mike Mearls, being interviewed in late 2011, posted:

"I think we've hit the second era of RPG decadence, and it's gone the opposite way," he continued. "It's all about player power now - the DM is just the rules guy - and the DM can't contradict what the players say. [The game] is taking away from the DM, and that's where I worry because other types of games can do that better. I might as well play a board game, 'cause I'm just here enforcing the rules. Without the DM as the creative guy, what's the point?"

Mearls admits 4th edition might have gone too far in creating a perfectly balanced game. "We've lost faith of what makes an RPG an RPG," he said, admitting that in trying to please gamers with a limited imagination, 4th edition might have punished those with an active one. "There's this fear of the bad gaming group, where the game is so good that even playing with a bad gaming group, you'll still have fun."

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Mike mearls is a horrible designer and he blocked me on Twitter when I asked him where the second page of the fighter character sheet was

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
Actually, I am terrified of having fun when I play games.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

If you want to be more of a tactical fighter. I would definitely go battlemaster. If you want to hit harder go champion

quote:

You want to hit stuff VERY hard? Go champion

you want to hit stuff and have it some additional effects? Go battlemaster

quote:

The Battlemaster picks from a bunch of manoeuvres to give himself extra options in a fight, things like tripping, disarming and just being more accurate. He uses these Superiority dice to deal extra damage and status effects or be more accurate.

The Champion is more of the standard fighter, but he's better than a standard fighter, he gets more passive improvements...like improved critical chance and healing.

quote:

It really comes down to how tactically you want to be in your combats. Champion is very simple and straight forward, like the fighters from older editions. You get up in someone's face and hit it until it dies.

Battlemaster is much more involved. There are spell-like abilities that require you to make choices both when leveling and in combat. Personally, I find it to be the more interesting of the two because I like some nuance in how I fight.

quote:

Champion: The less complex fighter. You crit twice as often (on a 19-20 instead of just 20, and on an 18-20 at high levels). You also get a boost to all strength checks, an extra fighting style, and regeneration as your capstone feature. This one works well mechanically with half-orcs (extra crit dice for dayz), and really starts to shine when you hit fifth level and get more attacks. Less choice, but it's "always on", and I personally like always having something "extra" that my character can do. I also really enjoy the simplicity at times - it just makes sense for some characters, like Brick Privy, the half-orc criminal fighter who's six-foot-ten and built like a brick privy.

quote:

Basically a battle master has limited resources he can spend Champion does not. Battle master can put down a beat down really good for a short period of time. Champion is consistent.

quote:

You like hitting things often and hard, while also getting a metric fuckton of passive bonuses? Champion.

Like having huge combat control and utility while also dealing damage, as well as letting other characters gain attacks on YOUR turn? Battlemaster.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Something that occurs 5% of the time and an extra fighting style that you probably won't use much anyway: A metric fuckton of passive bonuses.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

BatteredFeltFedora posted:

Something utterly unimpressive that occurs 5% of the time and an extra fighting style that you probably won't use much anyway: A metric fuckton of passive bonuses.

Don't forget, 5e crits are pretty watered down, too. Can't let the one non-caster mechanic be TOO good!

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

quote:

I like a lot of things that 5e brings to the table. However I'm not liking the high HPs and high damage its reminding my a lot of World of Warcraft.

There is no reason to give high hps and damage. Again going 1d6 to say 4d6 is still better without going as far as 44d6. Sorry I will never be a fan of high HP or Damage. That is what turns me off when it comes to most video games now days.
5e is too much like WoW, folks.

Time to wrap it up.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I would almost consider giving a read to 5e to see what they are talking about, but then I remember who were the consultants for that one and I stop myself.

Honestly I haven't kept up to date since 3.5 and I don't really feel the need to. I would maybe consider playing the 4th based on what I hear of it from time to time: apparently all classes get spell-like tricks that allow the warrior to do something more than just attack, which is a big plus.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I'm going to make the disgaea RPG where you have a billion hp and deal 420 million damage yall

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

I'm going to make the disgaea RPG where you have a billion hp and deal 420 million damage yall

Too late, RIFTS exists.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Error 404 posted:

Too late, RIFTS exists.

Doing literal millions of damage and having massive untouchable HP pools is really more of a Synnibarr thing.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
My bad.

Error 404 posted:

Too late, Synnibarr exists.

RangerAce
Feb 25, 2014

So, I found this article, "10 things I hate about Shadowrun." The article is pretty badly written and not really something I would hold up as any kind of decent critical review... but the comments section had this little exchange.

quote:

quote:

This is an unecessarily harsh review; you don’t even attempt to understand what it is it you are bashing, though I do think I know where you are coming from. If you are the type of gamer who wants everything to be super simple, Shadowrun might be a bit too complex for you. The Fudge system is not. I’ve played Shadowrun through many editions, and this one is definitely more streamlined than before. Is it playable? Certainly. Having fun has a lot more to do with your attitude and creativity than what system you are playing. I really don’t like AD&D 2nd Edition, but I still can have a great time playing with my friends. Complexity in a gaming system allows for a level of detail that a lot of gamers really enjoy, and is missing from a lot of more recent systems. There are pros and cons to both sides. The short of it is this: if you can’t stand it, don’t play it. I don’t see the point of writing a several page rant that very obviously doesn’t even attempt to actually address the system in any meaningful way. So calm down and go play a game that fits your style more.
I don’t think you’re quite getting what I wrote, there: not only do I not like Shadowrun 5e, I think that it’s wrong. I think that it is bad art. I wrote a post saying what was bad about it. What sort of discussion would we have about art if we only ever wrote about things we liked? What would happen to criticism?

Emphasis in original. I didn't know that a game system could be, you know, morally and artfully WRONG.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Error 404 posted:

Too late, Synnibarr exists.

Never have I wanted a t-shirt more.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

theironjef posted:

I legit want a t shirt of that raccoon holding a bazooka and looking at his watch. That is the best thing to come out of Synnibarr.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

clockworkjoe posted:

I legit want a t shirt of that raccoon holding a bazooka and looking at his watch. That is the best thing to come out of Synnibarr.

It is amazing. I'm partial to the Lemmy gnome firing a tree laser myself. Or the 80s underboob viking that is somehow called an Amazon.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo
Honest to god truth: one of the most fun sessions I've ever had was with World of Synnibarr, back in 2006/7 or so.

Of course, much of it was at the expense of the game rather than due to it, but still... Synnibarr has a couple of fun ideas in that crazy sci-fi sorcery kind of way you get with 80s cartoons like He-Man, where sword-wielding warriors and cyborgs walk down the same street and nobody even blinks.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

My first Synnibarr experience involved chargenning for ha-has and inadvertently creating an Immortal Born. I'm not sure actually playing the game could live up to that.

For some light grog, let's see what Raven c.s. McCracken has to say about new Synnibarr mechanics:

Cogency Mass! posted:

NEW change...
Previously we split effects up into damage types and effects... like a Ta'sets Dark Thunderbolt vs will-force. The thunderbolt does damage...which may reduce life points until the subject is dead...
Willforce now reduces the subject's COGENCY MASS until the subject is affected...
This "cogency mass" is a type of metaphysical life points...once removed or exceeded, the subject is affected...
Like life points..Cogency mass can now be healed, restored and increased...
This aspect of the new game is very important...
Everything is in duality. Shot/BA shot. Fate/BA fate.
Deeds vs Aims... Life points and cogency mass...
Both sides of the coin...

Cogency Mass is totally simple you guys posted:

Now for news on the SYNNIBARR front. As a game designer I have always pondered the differences between an effect that alters a subject's status... as opposed to simple damage...
Life points measure damage... but what measures how one is affected by say a...Will-force?
Primitive systems had us simply compairing "levels" which is a faulty, all encompassing, measure of a subject's prowess...one that is not only inaccurate, but static and lifeless...In this new version of SYNNIBARR, we now have Life points and Cogency Mass, a form of mystic life points with a catchier name... Damage reduces life points... Effects reduce cogency mass... simple clean and solid...0 ambiguity.

I really hope "pages" is a typo posted:

102,896 pages in the NOVEL to accompany Synnibarr... it's dark... it's epic and it's done!
Mage Warrior will accompany the release of the new Synnibarr Role playing game.
A total of 4 books...
That is all...

Yes, strive for relevance posted:

Game of Thrones: anyone who knows about SYNNIBARR may have noticed something familiar about the Show Open... yep! They are inside the globe, just like our worldship.
Thoughts...?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 232 days!

theironjef posted:

It has a very "Darkseid is" ring to it.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

FMguru posted:

Old grog, but new to me:

This is what kills this goddamn hobby. This idea that it's about one guy being 'in charge' of the whole game and everyone has to listen to his (and trust me, a lot of the shitlords thinking this think the 'his' bit is super loving important too) bullshit the whole time. This is where all this crap about 'NO DON'T PUT IN OFFICIAL STUFF ABOUT TOLERANCE OR DIVERSITY' comes from. The stupid loving nerd power trip that comes from shitlord GMs.

Well, you know, that, and all the racism.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
It's late and I made a thing

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Hodgepodge posted:

It has a very "Darkseid is" ring to it.

Gnomes are born wherever gnomes are born.

Usually during winter.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

gently caress yes

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Well poo poo, now I guess I have to get a job.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
None of it was interesting or amusing enough to post here, but I glanced into ENWorld to see if anything funny was going on there, and instead found that the place was overrun with gamergate supporters. The owner Morrus in turn told people to visit ENWorld's sister site, CircvsMaximvs, and a quick check confirmed that yes indeed the place was filled to the brim with homophobia, misogyny, and transphobia.

ENWorld is the biggest D&D fansite on the web and was the only place Mearls went to directly to talk about 5e.

gently caress D&D.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I should clarify, I just used a shirt design website, I didn't make/order one. I have a friend who silk screens though, so I guess I could get some made.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

ProfessorCirno posted:

None of it was interesting or amusing enough to post here, but I glanced into ENWorld to see if anything funny was going on there, and instead found that the place was overrun with gamergate supporters. The owner Morrus in turn told people to visit ENWorld's sister site, CircvsMaximvs, and a quick check confirmed that yes indeed the place was filled to the brim with homophobia, misogyny, and transphobia.

ENWorld is the biggest D&D fansite on the web and was the only place Mearls went to directly to talk about 5e.

gently caress D&D.

Greg Tito is now the community manager for D&D.

poo poo clogging the toilet, all the way down.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Who is Greg Tito?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Clanpot Shake posted:

Who is Greg Tito?

First words of the link: "Former Escapist editor-in-chief Greg Tito"

RangerAce
Feb 25, 2014

http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1253173

Apparently Greg Tito is a SJW that brings all the grogs to the yard.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
I've seen him slammed for being the guy who kept the Gamergate thread on the Escapist forums open -and- for being a terrible SJW out to destroy games, and apparently part of the reason he left the Escapist was getting overruled on everything by Macris, who is legit terrible.

On the other hand, that...doesn't speak much to his community management skills.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

unseenlibrarian posted:

I've seen him slammed for being the guy who kept the Gamergate thread on the Escapist forums open -and- for being a terrible SJW out to destroy games, and apparently part of the reason he left the Escapist was getting overruled on everything by Macris, who is legit terrible.

On the other hand, that...doesn't speak much to his community management skills.

Tito was the person at the Escapist who when it was pointed out that those Gamergate interviews were terrible actually did something about them. Like renaming the article from "Game designers talk about #Gamergate" to "Male game designers talk about #Gamergate" when it was pointed out that the first article had all been female and declared as such. Huge difference. He also removed the RogueStar interview from the Gamergate article. He seems to basically have been as decent as it's possible to be while at The Escapist.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
From what I've seen, Tito tried to play it neutral, which meant being attacked by sealions for not being a True Believer, then ultimately being kicked out by Macris (the guy who's literally bragged about SPENDING HIS WHOLE LIFE PREPARING FOR THIS WAR), only to be snapped up by WotC for reasons nobody is entirely sure of yet.

Of course the thread about him on ENWorld ended up becoming sealion con 2015, more or less revealing just how terrible ENWorld was.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

neonchameleon posted:

Tito was the person at the Escapist who when it was pointed out that those Gamergate interviews were terrible actually did something about them. Like renaming the article from "Game designers talk about #Gamergate" to "Male game designers talk about #Gamergate" when it was pointed out that the first article had all been female and declared as such. Huge difference. He also removed the RogueStar interview from the Gamergate article. He seems to basically have been as decent as it's possible to be while at The Escapist.
Except with the ethics and the flat out harassment that went on it raises incredibly suspicion as to why he just didn't quit when it was revealed by multiple sources that they had just committed a major ethics breach.
EDIT:
Its also hard to believe that he was true neutral as Cirno said since well he shares credits with Marcis.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

ProfessorCirno posted:

gently caress D&D.
That might end up being the best part of D&D retroclones: you don't have to encourage more D&D when you play D&D. There are other amazing assholes to dodge, but no Mearls.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Antivehicular posted:

Gnomes are born wherever gnomes are born.

Usually during winter.
Ah, the classics. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

MadScientistWorking posted:

Except with the ethics and the flat out harassment that went on it raises incredibly suspicion as to why he just didn't quit when it was revealed by multiple sources that they had just committed a major ethics breach.
EDIT:
Its also hard to believe that he was true neutral as Cirno said since well he shares credits with Marcis.

He was more "neutral" then Macris wanted, how about that? And of course, too "neutral" to actually try to stand against the open harassment. Grossly lukewarm in a manner that empowered harassers, only for them to turn on him when he wasn't enough of an extremist.

The real question is, why did WotC hire a dude from the Escapist, which has been hemorrhaging money for awhile now?

• Locked thread