Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

"I came here to argue with you about a freaking television show!"

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

I had some hope for their initial balancing of new gods after Awilix.

Bellona has destroyed that hope.

Bellona is the biggest bullshit since original Bakasura and Original Guan Yu came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
She may be bullshit but she is fun. I've been trying some other characters outside of my usual rotation and Athena is probably the first support I've really clicked with. Plus flying across the map to save a teammate is just fun.

My IGN is TeenPope and I'd love to start playing with goons.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

SunshineDanceParty posted:

She may be bullshit but she is fun. I've been trying some other characters outside of my usual rotation and Athena is probably the first support I've really clicked with. Plus flying across the map to save a teammate is just fun.

My IGN is TeenPope and I'd love to start playing with goons.

Play Sobek.

Only play Sobek.

Sobek is the best.

coca bojangles
Nov 2, 2011

Superhuman hindsight
I don't think Bellona is OP or broken at all. I haven't seen her solo carry a game yet, or be that good in multiple roles. She's just new and we aren't used to it yet, that's all boys.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

coca bojangles posted:

I don't think Bellona is OP or broken at all. I haven't seen her solo carry a game yet, or be that good in multiple roles. She's just new and we aren't used to it yet, that's all boys.

I've seen her solo carry 2 games and cause one to go on far longer than it should have. Her being new is as much a challenge to the person playing her as the person against her. "People haven't figured out how to play against her" is pretty easily countered by "People haven't figured out how to play her properly." Serqet was seen as lovely for a while and I don't think the minor buff to remove the cooldown before leaping on her 3 caused her to be seen as one of the strongest junglers.

She can also do well solo or in the jungle. I guess she is pretty bad in the duo lane, though. I haven't seen anybody try her mid but I can't imagine she's great there.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
She can carry if you end the game early enough. Her early game is ridiculously strong for a warrior, but her damage drops off pretty hard late game and she's pretty much reduced to a utility role. I don't think she's egregiously overtuned. Her self-healing might be a little high, if anything.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I find her difficult to kill.

coca bojangles
Nov 2, 2011

Superhuman hindsight

Shab posted:

She can carry if you end the game early enough. Her early game is ridiculously strong for a warrior, but her damage drops off pretty hard late game and she's pretty much reduced to a utility role. I don't think she's egregiously overtuned. Her self-healing might be a little high, if anything.

I agree that her heal is high but she needs attack speed for it to be strong. She's either assassin like or tanky, but she's build dependent on that. Her hammer attack can be interrupted easily and that's her big burst attack in team fights.

I'm mostly just seeing Heavy Hammer to try and get fed, so she's punishable like any HH starter.

e: I'm strictly speaking about conquest here.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
This may sound crazy but I actually kinda miss the old conquest map. The new one is shinier and sexier but somehow less attractive.

The REAL Gtab Fan
Apr 12, 2007

Let it post, let it post, can't wait to shit post anymore~
Let it go, let it go, gonna vote one and move onnnnnn~
I think it's because except for the set pieces it's kinda ugly. Why are there houses in mid lane why.

Also https://vine.co/v/O2vUrOp2LpV

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
This game's pretty dope. My little brother and I have been comp-stomping in LoL for a while but I think this'll replace that. The perspective and everything being a skill shot feels much more satisfying.

Do any goons do co-op regularly? I've never bothered with PvP in MOBAs; I get my PvP fix in War Thunder and co-op everything else. I'm TheShineNSB in-game.

e: Also is there a character that eats other characters and grows larger, at which point you can spam "EVERYBODY LOVES THE BIG GUY" in chat? This is important.

Shine fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Feb 28, 2015

Fluegel
Apr 7, 2007

Shine posted:

This game's pretty dope. My little brother and I have been comp-stomping in LoL for a while but I think this'll replace that. The perspective and everything being a skill shot feels much more satisfying.

Do any goons do co-op regularly? I've never bothered with PvP in MOBAs; I get my PvP fix in War Thunder and co-op everything else. I'm TheShineNSB in-game.

e: Also is there a character that eats other characters and grows larger, at which point you can spam "EVERYBODY LOVES THE BIG GUY" in chat? This is important.

Bakasura is an assassin that devours minions which he spits out during his ult - but that doesn't sound like what you're looking for. You might enjoy Vamana who grows into a giant baby man. Look also into Bacchus, his belly is pretty impressive.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Fluegel posted:

Bakasura is an assassin that devours minions which he spits out during his ult - but that doesn't sound like what you're looking for. You might enjoy Vamana who grows into a giant baby man. Look also into Bacchus, his belly is pretty impressive.

Bakasura's ult sounds funny, I'll check him out. I was being kinda facetious; my favorite LoL character chomps enemies with his ult, and killing blows make him grow, and it stacks a bunch of times until he looks pretty ridiculous.

Anyway, I've mostly used Thor so far, doing jungle/ganking. It's kinda hard for me to see the aimer for his ult, but I imagine I'll get used to it. Maybe it'll be easier if I turn colorblind mode on.

Is there a general jungle loop that will work well enough in most cases? Should I be constantly killing the buff mobs even if I already have a buff, or just run through the XP mobs and then go gank until they respawn/I need another buff? Or something else? So far I've had enough ganking opportunities that I haven't needed to do any extended jungle looping, but it'd be nice to have a plan in case I need it, or want to do less ganky jungling.

Shine fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Feb 28, 2015

uhoniakupo
Nov 7, 2009
IGN: KuriaKuku

If any of you fancy using me as a referral, then great. I'm one goon short of a tyr sockpuppet.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

"I came here to argue with you about a freaking television show!"

coca bojangles posted:

Then you haven't seen the high Attack speed with movement speed Bellonas that I've been seeing.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Attack speed has been one of the main theorycrafts from what I've seen. As to jungle rotation, always check mid harpies and steal them if you can. Buff camps I have no idea about, but I call them in chat like "mid, pick up damage buff" as support and hunters know to pick up the attack speed about half the time.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

The jungle "rotation" is pretty fluid once the game gets going -- you can see when stuff is up, and if it's up and you have an opportunity to kill a camp, you just go kill it.

Cho'gath was my favorite League champion too. Sadly there's not really anyone similar--the closest is probably Ao Kuang who turns into a big dragon to eat people. omnomnomnom

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Fully stacked, lumbering Cho'gath is so great.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Is it just me or is the community in this game so much more polite than every other moba I've played?

Literally had someone politely ask if we could swap lane last night and then in the same game someone said something along the lines of "Have you considered adding this item to your build? It might help with x y z!"

My friends and I are just playing low level co-op games mostly but so far it's been nice not to have people calling everyone names when they make a mistake. Does that change?

drink_bleach
Dec 13, 2004

Praise the Sun!

Quidnose posted:

Is it just me or is the community in this game so much more polite than every other moba I've played?

Literally had someone politely ask if we could swap lane last night and then in the same game someone said something along the lines of "Have you considered adding this item to your build? It might help with x y z!"

My friends and I are just playing low level co-op games mostly but so far it's been nice not to have people calling everyone names when they make a mistake. Does that change?

Play on a free gem day, you'll change your opinion.

An Actual Bear
Feb 15, 2012

Quidnose posted:

It's still pretty bad but compared to DOTA and LoL it's a lot better. Conquest is where most of the toxic stuff happens, I don't know why the addition of 3 lanes turns everyone into screaming manchildren but it does. Arena and Assault is usually pretty chill and Siege and Joust get slightly more heated but nothing too bad.

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

Assault is the best mode. Always assaulting.

I've been saving up favor to unlock another god, and I'd appreciate some opinions. I recently had a great round as Neith, sort of enjoy shooting the hell out of dudes, but I also like support. Usually make a good Ymir. I get a perverse pleasure out of CCing dudes and imagining them being very annoyed. Any suggestions?

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

I've seen her solo carry 2 games and cause one to go on far longer than it should have. Her being new is as much a challenge to the person playing her as the person against her. "People haven't figured out how to play against her" is pretty easily countered by "People haven't figured out how to play her properly." Serqet was seen as lovely for a while and I don't think the minor buff to remove the cooldown before leaping on her 3 caused her to be seen as one of the strongest junglers.

She can also do well solo or in the jungle. I guess she is pretty bad in the duo lane, though. I haven't seen anybody try her mid but I can't imagine she's great there.

I've been leaning incredibly hard into attack speed which has turned me into the Bellona that does that. All your weapons are insanely fast and it's crazy for sword/shield because you can just box the poo poo out of other Gods.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

Jeremor posted:

I've been saving up favor to unlock another god, and I'd appreciate some opinions. I recently had a great round as Neith, sort of enjoy shooting the hell out of dudes, but I also like support. Usually make a good Ymir. I get a perverse pleasure out of CCing dudes and imagining them being very annoyed. Any suggestions?

Ymir might be the most solid support. His 3 is probably the best CC in the game, pound for pound, because of its fast cooldown, cone, and high stun time. I think everyone should own and master him!

Sylvanus also has sick CC but for the purposes of assault he is a healer so you will be pigeonholed into that role. But if you are good at landing Syl's 1, then you can follow up with a grab and then his ult knockup for maximum lockdown. It's a combo that completely turns the tide of teamfights and aside from the ult portion has a much faster cooldown than Fenrir's grab which has a comparable effect. I find him extremely fun to play because he is more of a combat healer than a stay-back healer, intentionally body blocking shots to trigger his passive and picking up kills with his DOTs on low health, fleeing enemies.

If you want to go shooting and CCing, Anhur is a very safe and high damage hunter. His 1 is a high damage CC/knockback/escape, his 2 is a sweet disruption tool, and his 3 is an escape/engage/knockup. Then you just face dudes and hit his 4 to blast everyone with a stream of constant damage. All anhur needs to be the best hunter in the game is a really good skin. (gently caress the olympics)

Psychotron
Nov 25, 2007

I AM THE GERBIL GOD KAHUNA

Jeremor posted:

If assault is your thing, and you like hunters, I'd recommend AMC. He isn't too difficult to learn and he absolutely shreds in assault. He doesn't have an escape though like Neith or Anhur, so you have to be more vigilant of your positioning.

Edit: Sobek is pretty OP in assault of you like support. Hardest part is getting used to landing his 1 (dash/throw.).

Psychotron fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Feb 28, 2015

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

Psychotron posted:

If assault is your thing, and you like hunters, I'd recommend AMC. He isn't too difficult to learn and he absolutely shreds in assault. He doesn't have an escape though like Neith or Anhur, so you have to be more vigilant of your positioning.

Edit: Sobek is pretty OP in assault of you like support. Hardest part is getting used to landing his 1 (dash/throw.).

I'm also a huge fan of AMC, and as you say he has less of an escapey playstyle than Anhur. If you go with AMC, Jeremor, you would perhaps want to start with a cooldown item (jotunn's) and meditation so that you can spam your badass 2 forever from a distance then zoom in to kill with your low-cooldown Ult.. While with Anhur, it might be smarter to go Executioner or one of the bows and really get in the thick of the battle and then jump out when your life is threatened.

So they are two really solid hunters with different playstyles, and it can actually be good to try them in another mode like Joust to get a feel for which style you like more before purchasing them for real.

edit: also I should mention about AMC, since he doesn't have real escapes he can teach you a lot about juking and boxing and using movespeed to duck behind teammates and minions to absorb enemy attacks while blasting through them with your abilities.

cyclonic
Dec 15, 2005

Jeremor posted:

I get a perverse pleasure out of CCing dudes and imagining them being very annoyed. Any suggestions?

Kumbhakarna is support king of cc. His kit can lock someone down for ~6 seconds.

Take Ymir, consolidate/focus his damage to a smaller area, add cc, shake/stir and you get Kumbha.

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

drat yall, those are some terrific answers. Thank you so much. Especially appreciate the item build advice, as that's a part of the game I've never really mastered.

It's funny, I've been eyeing Sylvanus for a little while. I like being a healer. I'm going to go ahead with him this time, but definitely pick up AMC and then Kumbha next thing. Thanks a lot, guys.

Unrelated question, but what's the opinion on Ares? I can't remember the last time I really saw anyone play with him.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Jeremor posted:

Unrelated question, but what's the opinion on Ares? I can't remember the last time I really saw anyone play with him.

He's pretty strong in any game mode, he can poo poo out a lot of damage and his ult is very powerful. I like him a lot, his 1 can take some practice aiming though.

cyclonic
Dec 15, 2005

Jeremor posted:

Lower level games he's a pub stomper. After that, he's high risk/high reward. Mid-level games he falls off because not enough people follow-through after escapes and ults are down.

He's one of few tanks that can poo poo out crazy damage while building tanky and can carry at low level games. Typically considered more a bruiser than an actual support.

If you like him and "shooting the hell put of dudes," you might like Ullr.

edit-
He has one of the worst clears in the game, and to compensate you need Mystical Mail which is usually frown upon on supports. Good starting/core items: CDR boots, Mystical Mail, Voidstone.

cyclonic fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Mar 1, 2015

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

cyclonic posted:

Lower level games he's a pub stomper. After that, he's high risk/high reward. Mid-level games he falls off because not enough people follow-through after escapes and ults are down.

He's one of few tanks that can poo poo out crazy damage while building tanky and can carry at low level games. Typically considered more a bruiser than an actual support.

If you like him and "shooting the hell put of dudes," you might like Ullr.

edit-
He has one of the worst clears in the game, and to compensate you need Mystical Mail which is usually frown upon on supports. Good starting/core items: CDR boots, Mystical Mail, Voidstone.

Well the thing about Ares' clear is that he usually plays support and saves mana for combat, and in Arena and Assault he doesn't need to clear either and can focus on tossing chains all the time.

At first most Ares players suck at landing chains so it can be better to rush Breastplate on him for that sick cooldown. It's one thing to pay the Ares tax with beads, it's another to do it and have his ult always come up faster than beads so he gets you no matter what. Starting Breastplate reduces your damage a bit but is a good alternative to missing a bunch of chains and then having your ult fizzle.

Another thing that makes Ares sick for Assault and Arena is that if you want to, you can build nothing but Aura items on him and be not only an annoying rear end chain-crippling-blink-ulting psycho, but you can be a huge force multiplier for all your buddies. And since the lane in Assault is so narrow, Aura items (and his huge ult radius) become better than in other modes.

My general recommendation for people who are new and playing new champs in Assault: Start with one of the big cooldown items (Chronos Pendant on Mage, Breastplate on tanks and Jotunn's on phys) and Meditate. The more you use your skills, the better you will get with them, and even if you suck at landing your ult, at least you get more opportunities. Cooldown Breastplate on Hun Batz, for example, can straight up win you the match even if you don't do a high amount of damage. When I was extra lovely with Xbal I did the same thing except with Jotunn's for cooldown and just used his ult all the time while hanging back.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Jeremor posted:

He's my most played god; I just got him to X tonight. Lots of fun in the Arena but I never really got him to work for me in Conquest. You will either stomp all over the enemy team with your ult or cause them to spend 4500 gold on beads. He causes an impressive amount of damage with almost no offensive items - For arena I go Greater Blink, CD boots, Stone of Gaia, Sovereignty, Mystical Mail, Void Stone/Heartward Amulet, Gem of Isolation/Witchblade.

Pro tip let the chains tick 1-2 times before reapplying them. Most Ares just toss out 3 chains as fast as possible but it pays to wait between them. Always be in the middle of the enemy team breathing fire and causing mayhem. Get the voice pack and VEA at all times.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Oh hey a new error: Game got stuck on launching in lobby, Alt+F4, relogged, came back to 'You cannot join the queue yet, waiting for match to end.'

coca bojangles
Nov 2, 2011

Superhuman hindsight

Dvlos posted:

Then you haven't seen the high Attack speed with movement speed Bellonas that I've been seeing.

Of course I've seen that, Hastened Fatalis is a cheesy item on her like on any god. Freya, Kali, Baka, Arachne, even Sylvanus attack speed is cheesy.

She has a slow, but her dash is short ranged. Buy sprint or winged wand like you would against Freya or Arachne.

She buys Fatalis, depending on who you are playing as... Buy Midgardian Mail or work on your positioning and avoid her area of influence(estimate her abilities range and stay back when team fights are about to start). Buy wards, dying in conquest sucks.

If its the Heal you think is OP then buy Divine Ruin. Less healing is essentially damage, right? Her burst damage on the hammer is surprisingly hard to hit, change directions and juke the last part of the ability or interrupt her. Knockup, Knockback, Silence, Stun, Walls, etc.

cyclonic
Dec 15, 2005

Turpitude posted:

Well the thing about Ares' clear is that he usually plays support and saves mana for combat, and in Arena and Assault he doesn't need to clear either and can focus on tossing chains all the time.

My advice was more for Conquest. In Arena/Assault you can get away with crazy builds. CDR boots, Winged Blade, Spear, Mystical Mail/Voidstone/Gem of Iso/tanky items. Or full aura items. Just get good at landing chains and almost any support/bruiser/mage build works on him.

In Season 2 Conquest the duo lane really needs decent/good clear though, so you need to build around him even more so than Season 1. Either have a gank-oriented lane or have someone who can clear so Ares can maintain aggression. If this isn't figured out in the lobby then you might have a bad time.

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

Today's special gamemode, Omnipotence, is absolutely loving hilarious as Ra. making GBS threads out laser beams and heal circles as fast as you can hit the keys. The Agni I was laned against was constantly jittering back and forth, hoping to dodge the next laser. Then a Bellona rotated in, charged at me all confidently and proceeded to eat a face full of laser death. It's also quite fun to be laying down heal circles so quickly that they overlap.

Team lost, though. Apparently their Aphrodite was pretty nuts too.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Jeremor posted:

Today's special gamemode, Omnipotence, is absolutely loving hilarious as Ra. making GBS threads out laser beams and heal circles as fast as you can hit the keys. The Agni I was laned against was constantly jittering back and forth, hoping to dodge the next laser. Then a Bellona rotated in, charged at me all confidently and proceeded to eat a face full of laser death. It's also quite fun to be laying down heal circles so quickly that they overlap.

Team lost, though. Apparently their Aphrodite was pretty nuts too.

Also, for some reason, Guan's 1 will go on a 0 CD sometimes in that mode so you can run around spamming green circles everywhere.

I decided to try the mode out. We managed to come back from having 2 phoenixes down to getting a good team fight and winning off of that. I think the fact my team realized to get weakening curse (we ended up with 3) and theirs didn't helped a lot. Serqet and Janus are some bullshit with no mana costs and 80% CDR though.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Did anyone try Nox in that mode? Sounds like a place she'd be good. Just shut down the entire enemy team with silence spam.

coca bojangles
Nov 2, 2011

Superhuman hindsight
Just Apollo ult, and never land.... ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
We won that rather easily with me as Ares because what more could you possibly need than his ult with a 18 sec cd and some Bellona that went 24-2.

• Locked thread