Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

C: Lose fewer troops and secure the lance and optics array, sacrifice your reputation, lose a bit of leverage with the Magos.

lol what

"Hey, we thought you should have this, in exchange for you signing up to give us future, undisclosed favours."

Is it strictly necessary to yell "HEELLLLLP! HELLLLP!" down the comms on a broadband channel while we do this, or are we unable to spin this differently?

I mean, Team Let's Give The Laslords The Chance To Sabotage Things Before They Are Overrun seems to be carrying the vote so it's not like it matters, but still. I'm surprised the "give up this archaeotech" solution is the "pussy out" one rather than the "forge extremely strong ties with the Mechanicus" one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
If we leave the array here and they find it on their own, what do they owe us? A token favor?

If, on the other hand, we take the lance battery and personally bargain it away to the Mechanicus, we can name our price. A is the right answer in all respects.

Brownview
Oct 15, 2012

Nothing in this world can take the place of a power rack

It's not that it would be crying for help so much as the story becomes the Mechanicus boldly rescuing some archaeotech, also a guy trying to fill his gas tank was there. We lose out on the glory of the attack when their ship sends murderbots by the thousands at these chumps.

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
"Intelligence indicates that our enemy is using giant cathedral ships. Research divison reports that we can adapt this technology for our use. Begin researching giant cathedral ships immediately."
Check our starship, folks:
code:
Armaments
Prow: None
Dorsal: None
Port 1: Mars Pattern Macrocannon Broadside (Strength: 6, Damage: 1d10+2, Crit Rating: 5, Range: 6)
Port 2: Lathe Pattern Landing Bay (Strength: 2, Energy Field, Squadrons: Unknown)
Starboard 1: Mars Pattern Macrocannon Broadside (Strength: 6, Damage: 1d10+2, Crit Rating: 5, Range: 6)
Starboard 2: Lathe Pattern Landing Bay (Strength: 2, Energy Field, Squadrons: Unknown)
We need to sAlvage this Lance weapon and stick it on our ship.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

A

No profit without risk. It's okay to spend men, as long as you're not wasting them.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
B, just so that a small part of our consciousness considered putting troops lives first

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Y'all voted for the "salvage neat poo poo" option when we were shopping so now we need to make that worth our while, otherwise that was kind of a waste of effort. Option A it is. We like our troops, but being a Rogue Trader means sometimes you have to put overwhelming profit above the lives of your own men. Death or glory, it's the 40K way.

Here's my suggestion, Crispy is the servoskull with the tech knowledge (somehow), so have him both direct the shutdown and, if possible, act as overwatch to direct our forces while he goes through the process. He can patch into our comms and tell us "okay, you can blow this airlock but not these others" and give us a route to work with that should hopefully let us accomplish both tasks with some speed instead of stumblefucking around.

Slightly Lions
Apr 13, 2009

Look what I can do!

Kai Tave posted:

Y'all voted for the "salvage neat poo poo" option when we were shopping so now we need to make that worth our while, otherwise that was kind of a waste of effort. Option A it is. We like our troops, but being a Rogue Trader means sometimes you have to put overwhelming profit above the lives of your own men. Death or glory, it's the 40K way.

Here's my suggestion, Crispy is the servoskull with the tech knowledge (somehow), so have him both direct the shutdown and, if possible, act as overwatch to direct our forces while he goes through the process. He can patch into our comms and tell us "okay, you can blow this airlock but not these others" and give us a route to work with that should hopefully let us accomplish both tasks with some speed instead of stumblefucking around.

I'll add this to my vote. As much as I want this lance array, I also want to minimize troop loses. Our men are exquisitely trained and lavishly equipped, the loss of any is a serious blow to our war-making ability.

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
A it is. Cool stuff for us!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Slightly Lions posted:

I'll add this to my vote. As much as I want this lance array, I also want to minimize troop loses. Our men are exquisitely trained and lavishly equipped, the loss of any is a serious blow to our war-making ability.

We only lose the men, the equipment stays so there's more melta guns per team.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

goatface posted:

Tap their comms, parley for their surrender while we start doing A, release them into the "worshipful care" of the AdMech.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

A

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Slightly Lions posted:

I suppose we could technically signal the servitor/augmented attack before we shut down the lance battery. Sure, the first waves might get messed up, but it would distract the LasLords away from our expensive Praetorians and give us time to shut down the lance properly.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I'm with Team Awesome Lance, because pure profit and power of the magnitude that the lance represents is the kind of thing a Rogue Trader (or anyone else in the 40K universe) would trade hundreds if not tens of thousands of lives for.

I also like this idea

goatface posted:

Tap their comms, parley for their surrender while we start doing A, release them into the "worshipful care" of the AdMech.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

Kai Tave posted:

I'm with this guy

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
pre:
A 	XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
B	X
C	X
D
Well that's not decisive at all.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

pre:
A 	XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
B	X
C	X
D
Well that's not decisive at all.

The "shoot mans" factor of those results is astronomical.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

C'mon Beer, you basically said "would you like a big fancy gun Y/N?"

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

wiegieman posted:

C'mon Beer, you basically said "would you like a big fancy gun Y/N?"

You get the gun if you choose C as well.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

You get the gun if you choose C as well.

But you're essentially relegating yourself to "the other guy" in future history.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

CitrusFrog posted:

But you're essentially relegating yourself to "the other guy" in future history.

For this event, yes. Basically the question boiled down to whether or not you wanted to solidify your reputation or preserve your troops. Clearly we see the answer.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

For this event, yes. Basically the question boiled down to whether or not you wanted to solidify your reputation or preserve your troops. Clearly we see the answer.

Yeah, the consensus is overwhelming. Troops can be replaced, but a damaged reputation is far, far harder to recover from.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

What you mean a reputation like "Your entire dynasty was purged due to dabbling in horrific xenotech"

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

What you mean a reputation like "Your entire dynasty was purged due to dabbling in horrific xenotech"

Exactly. We've already got one enormous stain on our reputation, a second one will kill the dynasty faster than you can say "PURGE"

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Everyone's got skeletons in their closets. Sometimes literally.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
This isn't xenotech, it's arcotech, it's cool.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

CitrusFrog posted:

Exactly. We've already got one enormous stain on our reputation, a second one will kill the dynasty faster than you can say "PURGE"

i struggle to reconcile "forerunners shackled their flesh to ancient alien machine consciousness" and "brought the AdMech in to kill off a bunch of space pirates instead of doing it personally" as equal sins in the great ledger of life

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

i struggle to reconcile "forerunners shackled their flesh to ancient alien machine consciousness" and "brought the AdMech in to kill off a bunch of space pirates instead of doing it personally" as equal sins in the great ledger of life

I think it's more that the prevailing theory is that the reputation is so low that any further damage to it may make it easier to justify a significantly more powerful entity just coming in and strongarming what few resources you have left.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
From what we can see how powerful is this laser? Could we strap it to the front end (bow?) of the ship, get up to ramming speed and plowcut through other ships/asteroids/planets while spamming insults at their comm systems?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Can we set the engines to maximum, lock it in and fire the wave motion gun?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Outrail posted:

From what we can see how powerful is this laser? Could we strap it to the front end (bow?) of the ship, get up to ramming speed and plowcut through other ships/asteroids/planets while spamming insults at their comm systems?

It's a lance weapon. Starship combat in 40K basically revolves around four types of weaponry, in a manner that's quasi-analogous to Age of Sail combat. Assuming the sailing ships were kilometers long, weighed millions of tons, and had more crew than most cities.

Macrocannons are rows of massive cannons firing shells the size of starfighters. They can come in the form of batteries or broadsides. They are very effective at overwhelming void shields, but are less effective at penetrating armor.

Lances are typically turret-mounted laser cannons that fire insane amounts of energy. They can be countered by void shields but will melt through armor.

Torpedoes are skyscraper-sized munitions propelled by overcharged plasma drives. When they strike the target (ignoring shields) they detonate their plasma core along with the warhead, unleashing vast amounts of energy directly against the ship. The warhead can either be a traditional plasma charge, more exotic melta or virus, or even the ultra rare vortex warhead which rips a hole in the fabric of realspace and sends everything nearby into the Warp. They can be shot down by fighters or flak turrets on the ship. You can also fire boarding torpedoes. Torpedoes are typically mounted in the prow of the ship.

Attack Craft are either bombers, fighters, fighta-bommas (if you're an Ork), or assault craft. Bombers are designed to take on capital ships, fighters have a defensive role and take out incoming ordnance or craft, and assault craft carry troops for boarding operations. They ignore void shields and are launched from attack craft bays.

Ships are defended by void shields, armor, and turrets. Void shields are essentially impenetrable barriers that can be overloaded, while armor is simply hundreds of meters of adamantium and ceramite. In typical naval combat you would fire a broadside of macrocannon fire to overload the shields of the opponent and then follow up with a lance strike to burn through the armor and damage the interior of the ship. You would also use attack craft and torpedoes to dictate the flow of combat as needed.

Terra's Resurrection is a battlecruiser, which makes her the third largest class of capital ship in the 40K universe (behind battleships and grand cruisers). She is currently armed with a Mars-pattern macrocannon broadside on her port and starboard sides, as well as a pair of Lathe-class hangar bays to carry squadrons of fighters. She has the capacity for weaponry on her prow as well as a dorsal mount. You would most likely want to put the lance array on the dorsal mount as then you can make it a turret that can fire port, starboard, or ahead.

As for plowing through your opponent, you can certainly do that. It's actually Imperial Naval doctrine, and most ships have incredibly armored prows to do just that. The prow of the Resurrection is not designed for ramming but you could certainly upgrade it later on.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I totally forgot about Nova Cannons which are basically relativistic super guns. They're incredibly deadly but hugely impractical. Most captains prefer torpedoes.

goatface posted:

Can we set the engines to maximum, lock it in and fire the wave motion gun?

Every capital ship weapon in the 40K universe is basically a wave motion gun, although some guns are bigger than others.

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Mar 1, 2015

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Is it too late to vote for B? We owe our people protection in exchange for their loyalty and service - it's how being a feudal lord works. If we continually break the social contract we have with our men, they'll betray us the second something better comes along. Treat them well and they'll return the favor.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Well, there are some people out there who would gladly pay their souls (and all of their family's souls) for one of them xeno-heretical devices. And those people are probably keeping an eye on us, doubly so since they've heard about our "mysterious project" far off in the reaches of space. We don't want to appear too weak to that sort, lest they decide that they can simply harvest our secrets from our brain. Sure, joke would be on them, we don't know where the device is, but small consolation for a servitor.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
So this is a superpowerfull lance/laser that will allow us to melt through another entity assuming we can disable the void Shields?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Outrail posted:

So this is a superpowerfull lance/laser that will allow us to melt through another entity assuming we can disable the void Shields?

Yup. That's what lances do.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

That's why you always put Lances after Macrocannons in salvos. A shield layer will absorb one hit of any gun, but only one.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I think it's more that the prevailing theory is that the reputation is so low that any further damage to it may make it easier to justify a significantly more powerful entity just coming in and strongarming what few resources you have left.

Yeah, this is what I was referring to, I wasn't trying to liken asking the AdMech for assistance to "Xenotek heresy!", rather our name is already mud and as you say, any further tarnishing will make it easy for someone more powerful to come along and annex our poo poo. Lives are cheap in the Warhammer universe, especially Imperial lives, but reputations are priceless.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
gently caress yes, actually getting to participate in a Beer thread. So after this us done can we hunt down an Ork nob and cram some augmetics into his brain to make him compliant? Like a cyborg Ork bodyguard? A Cybork, if you will.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Deadmeat5150 posted:

gently caress yes, actually getting to participate in a Beer thread. So after this us done can we hunt down an Ork nob and cram some augmetics into his brain to make him compliant? Like a cyborg Ork bodyguard? A Cybork, if you will.
It's all well and good until new Orcs who don't have augmetics start sprouting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

JT Jag posted:

It's all well and good until new Orcs who don't have augmetics start sprouting.

"We call those the green decks. We don't go there any more..."

• Locked thread