Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

http://runningahackerspace.tumblr.com/

froward
Jun 2, 2014

by Azathoth

A pro click.

BONGHITZ posted:

what is aatrek related material?

See reference.

--
Peter Meadows continues to creep on people all over the world, while insisting on using his own name. Not the sharpest tack.

I've started using Noisebridge as a reference point for our hackerspace: Things Not To Do.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

;)

quote:

If we're banning things based on smells, then the only logical thing to
do is also adopt a policy requiring everyone to take a shower (with
soap) before coming over to the hackerspace in addition to brushing
their teeth. Also, no farting in the hackerspace. And for gently caress's sake,
WIPE PROPERLY. It's 102 degrees out there today, but even if it was 40
below that's still no excuse.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i am unironically in favor of requiring people to brush their teeth, wipe their asses, and wash with soap before coming to a hackerspace event

i cannot comprehend the mind that makes a joke of this

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i am unironically in favor of requiring people to brush their teeth, wipe their asses, and wash with soap before coming to a hackerspace event

i cannot comprehend the mind that makes a joke of this

It's amazing that someone considers "take a shower and brush your teeth" to be a hilariously sarcastic exaggeration.

Also there's a hackerspace near me, I looked them up and their latest event's pictures consisted entirely of a bunch of incredibly fat people taking turns on the communal Google Glass. I think I'll stick to toiling away by myself, thanks :smith:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

It's amazing that someone considers "take a shower and brush your teeth" to be a hilariously sarcastic exaggeration.

Also there's a hackerspace near me, I looked them up and their latest event's pictures consisted entirely of a bunch of incredibly fat people taking turns on the communal Google Glass. I think I'll stick to toiling away by myself, thanks :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0xDGXotGIE

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

OSI bean dip posted:

Someone told me this was proposed a long time ago and shot down for some reason. (or long-term solution: build intelligent cleaning robot)

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

maniacdevnull posted:

someone in another thread posted a really well written piece from gq about men's rights people and the lead was a pic of a guy with a sign "stop demonizing male sexuality!" the caption stated that he wanted to lower the age of consent to 12

yeah these people have no loving clue

this is a pro read btw

http://www.gq.com/news-politics/big-issues/201503/mens-rights-activism-the-red-pill

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

quote:

I'm certain many folks can name some "crackers" who have contributed to the current entropy problem at Noisebridge while they thought that their contributions were having a net positive effect on the space.

One that distinctly comes to mind was the front door camera. A newcomer to Noisebridge sought to "fix" the live camera for one reason or another. What ended up happening was the wires were pulled out, the camera disassembled, and the components dispersed throughout the space without any kind of discussion from the individual. Then they went elsewhere for the day and left things in that state.

A replacement camera was installed and I confronted them, where they said they were "hacking" the system to make it better. An explanation of the community's definition of a "positive contribution" ensued, but there was some rather vocal opposition to that.

quote:

someone who spent a lot of time at NB let people think it
was OK to sleep there.

Then (simplifying a lot), some core culture makers at Noisebridge
shouted, "hey Occupy, Noisebridge is with you!" and didn't get how
hard it would be to hold down the fort after that. In fact it became
so difficult for many good people to feel welcome at Noisebridge in
the face of the Occupy squatters that they left -- which made it even
harder to fend off this cultural flu.

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Mar 1, 2015

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

https://www.noisebridge.net/pipermail/noisebridge-discuss/2015-February/046089.html posted:

Throwing away fresh food without any warning at all is both un-excellant and hateful. I propose that those who did so be banned for 10 days. If I encounter these food haters in the space, I'll ask them to leave the space and not come back until they seek conflict resolution in said working group. Oh wait! The ones that threw away the food are IN that working group! HMMMMMM....

Also, and I'm dead serious about this, I want recompense for my food and hotplate being tossed. $25 would be a fair rate. Course, I doubt that those who did this will come out and admit it, but I know who they are.

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Mar 1, 2015

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

i opened that article when someone posted it before and closed it because of the title and photo

now i've read it and i sort of wish i hadn't because it has made me feel less than excellent just before bed. starting to think that SCUM was right

lol

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

To be fair, I'm not sure if people are asking for (a) have a shower before visiting and don't do anything else on the way and brush your teeth and don't eat or drink anything afterward, or (b) you should have showered and brushed your teeth sometime in the last 24 hours, and showered since the last time you did something that made you extremely sweaty like going to the gym, because (b) should go without saying and (a) seems unreasonable.

Also if you're going to hang out above the elevator/under the stairs and presumably have to crawl around in rat droppings or other poo poo, you may as well not shower first, right?

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

Buttcoin purse posted:

(b) should go without saying
what thread did you think you were posting in

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

jony ive aces posted:

what thread did you think you were posting in

Sorry wrong website.

Also it's a bit late but: check your non-pedo privilege.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

yeah that's the one

very good read, these people live in another world

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

well he hacked up the camera all right

mission successful

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

surprise ending: yospos you are the hackerspace

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

quote:

well their hackerspace is in a high heroin use neighborhood... then there was occupy aka homeless people pretending to have an agenda so they could sleep somewhere warm. the result was most of the cities homeless figuring out that noisebridge was a warm place to sleep... and had a kitchen... and plenty of stuff to steal to sell for more heroin.

you might say... they became a heroinspace.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

froward posted:

I've started using Noisebridge as a reference point for our hackerspace: Things Not To Do.

same. I think every sane hackerspace may be doing this.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

quote:

Seriously, the amount of people who show up at hackerspaces expecting to
raise an army to fight their own personal crusade is astounding. It's
probably the WORST place to show up expecting anyone to tolerate you. Have
you met a developer?? Do you know what compilers do to people? It makes
them vicious angry people who revenge code programming languages just to
get back at the assholes that made their software segfault 10 years ago on
a thursday making you miss a really happening party. Now you think I am
joking, but that's not the case. Software developers are not well people.
These are people who have stared into the void of human created logic.
They come back changed man. They either come back broken, or they come
back angry. Either way, you try to get them to engage in some sort of
personal crusade and you are asking for catastrophe.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

this is me to a T

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

minivanmegafun posted:

same. I think every sane hackerspace may be doing this.

#notallhackerspaces

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

eschaton posted:

#notallhackerspaces

#yesallsolderingirons

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Let me share with you my justification for why I'm entitled to be an rear end in a top hat. Hint: it involves a deece six figgies.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Buttcoin purse posted:

Let me share with you my justification for why I'm entitled to be an rear end in a top hat. Hint: it involves a deece six figgies.

but you also won't be a hackerspace.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
There sure were a lot of poors at the hackerspace I visited on the weekend. Not many true hackers, just people with poo poo day jobs who want to try 3D printers

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
I'm a high income earner

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

no true hacker

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Buttcoin purse posted:

lol if you don't make six and a half figgies you poor

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
the number of people there determined to stand up for convicted child molesters is downright horrifying

quote:

We booted somene for this. Specifically, because their name showed up on an
Amber alert. There are plenty of people to draw from who have no sex
offfender background. Keep moving. We're not a rehab facility.

Arclight

quote:

Uh...that was pretty stupid of your space, given the huge number of false
alarms on the AMBER alert system.

Hilarious to see this coming from someone using a pseudonym...

quote:

Not really, as it was not a false alarm.

Arclight

quote:

I guess I should clarify: The dude was a creeper who was found in a
hotel room with a random 13 year-old runaway. The Amber Alert was
pretty much the last straw and not surprising to anyone involved.

Arclight

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Get your mind out of the gutter they were hacking!

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
sex hacking

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it's not child rape, it's consent-hacking

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Main Paineframe posted:

the number of people there determined to stand up for convicted child molesters is downright horrifying

:shepicide:

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
noisebridge reminds of that 'anything goes' episode of always sunny in philadelphia

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

that article posted:

Only one feminist later attempts entry, an activist who goes by the handle "Dark Horse Swore." The black shirts eighty-six her. She sets up at a nearby bar, orders pizza, opens a tab, and invites any conference attendee who cares to talk. No takers. Feminist pizza? Not a chance. These men, they're hip to feminine wiles. They've taken the red pill, they like to say.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

to be fair you can replace "feminist" with any type of activist or advocate and I'm still not going to that. it seems horrifically awkward to eat pizza while someone says their opinions at you, even if you agree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

indigi posted:

to be fair you can replace "feminist" with any type of activist or advocate and I'm still not going to that. it seems horrifically awkward to eat pizza while someone says their opinions at you, even if you agree.

yes, but: free pizza

• Locked thread