Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Rebound is going to make Mistfire Adept utterly insane in limited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Snacksmaniac posted:

Isn't jeskai just Uw now?

Yeah, you're gonna low UW Heroic feat. Distortion Strike

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

mcmagic posted:

The only one of those that makes sense with the new Sidisi is Pharika and that deck has declined in popularity because Ugin just trumps it.

I'll engage seriously. Do you think it isn't good because you need to sac a creature to get the tutor effect? If that is the case, do you think it is bad in GBx decks that have mana dorks, that have no use for them later in the game? It seems like this card is powerful on its own because of its stats, and it has an effect that is relevant in a lot of matches because you will have a creature to easily spare. it is exciting, imagine this sequence of play. Abzan deck t1 or t2 mana dork, t3 rhino, t4 sidisi sac dork, tutor up removal/sweeper, planeswalker to punch through a large hit. Or a whip deck that can not have to play 4 whips because it can play 2 whip and some number of tutors. 4 elvish mystic, 4 satyr wayfinder 2 whip 3-4 sidisi is a decent core of a whip deck.

Of course it needs testing, but looking at the card and what it does, this isn't best case scenario mentality, it is a card that can just give the finger to polukranos, siege rhino and tasigur while at the same time eating your irrelevant mana dork to get your game winning card. It is value.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Porterhaus posted:

I've been tasked with teaching/onboarding a bunch of folks into Magic over the next few months and am working on building some 40 card basic 'teaching' decks. I'm going to end up making several different 'difficulties' of decks, but the most basic will be mono-colored 40 card decks without instants or complicated abilities.

Has anyone done anything like this? Here is what I've come up with on my first pass:

Starter Black
Starter Blue
Starter Green
Starter Red
Starter White

Sourced mostly commons/uncommons from core sets. Initial concerns are that Red is just going to be too weak.

I've done this a couple times for teaching new players. I think regenerate is too complicated for new players, because it's a complicated holdover from Alpha. Replaced Horned Troll with something else, otherwise those decks are fine. For difficulty 2 be sure to include lots of instants including counterspells. Abilities that trigger each upkeep are one thing I've noticed new players have trouble keeping track of, but they have to learn eventually, so maybe put that on level 3.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Angry Grimace posted:

Gonna laugh if 2 weeks from now, the best dragon is still Stormbreath Dragon
Stormbreath received his crown from Thundermaw and I don't think anyone has challenged him in quite a while. Card has so much text.

But there's gonna be so many dragons maybe Atarka will step up or something.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Entropic posted:

It's the Blue-White clan's mechanic in this set, which means any red Rebound reprints are probably off the table.

Emerge Unscathed or Distortion Strike would both be really good for the Heroic deck.

Emerge Unscathed would be bananas. Dodge removal and then attack for possibly unblockable while putting two +1/+1 counters on your beater in the worst case scenario. Distortion strike is similarly good, but Emerge Unscathed would just be taking your cake and eating it too.

Rimusutera posted:

Rebound is going to make Mistfire Adept utterly insane in limited.

Depends, with the focus on dragons, there could be a lot more creatures with reach and flying in this set. There were already a ton more in Fate Reforged to begin with. He's definitely good, just not necessarily insane.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Spiderdrake posted:

Stormbreath received his crown from Thundermaw and I don't think anyone has challenged him in quite a while. Card has so much text.

new 5 mana dragon may be best dragon. Lets see the 5 mana mythic dragon already Wizards.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Spiderdrake posted:

Yeah, with all these rare and mythic dragons being made, it seems unlikely that we won't get at least one that makes a splash in standard.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

qbert posted:

Creatures (20)
4 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Foundry Street Denizen
4 Goblin Rabblemaster
4 Mardu Scout
4 Monastery Swiftspear

Lands (22)
22 Mountain

Spells (18)
2 Outpost Siege
2 Lightning Strike
3 Searing Blood
4 Stoke the Flames
3 Wild Slash
4 Hordeling Outburst
This was the deck I played before, I guess I'll just mess around with the burn line-up depending on what I see tonight.

jassi007 posted:

I'll engage seriously. Do you think it isn't good because you need to sac a creature to get the tutor effect? If that is the case, do you think it is bad in GBx decks that have mana dorks, that have no use for them later in the game? It seems like this card is powerful on its own because of its stats, and it has an effect that is relevant in a lot of matches because you will have a creature to easily spare. it is exciting, imagine this sequence of play. Abzan deck t1 or t2 mana dork, t3 rhino, t4 sidisi sac dork, tutor up removal/sweeper, planeswalker to punch through a large hit. Or a whip deck that can not have to play 4 whips because it can play 2 whip and some number of tutors. 4 elvish mystic, 4 satyr wayfinder 2 whip 3-4 sidisi is a decent core of a whip deck.

Of course it needs testing, but looking at the card and what it does, this isn't best case scenario mentality, it is a card that can just give the finger to polukranos, siege rhino and tasigur while at the same time eating your irrelevant mana dork to get your game winning card. It is value.
I don't really like the look of it in Abzan at all, generic goodstuff decks with zero synergy don't have that much need for tutors.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Spiderdrake posted:

It's funny how uncommonly the back half of Stormbreath's text seems to be relevant in the videos I watch. A one mana cheaper, pro:white Volcanic Dragon is apparently insanely strong on its own merits.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Wasn't Liliana a card that got boarded in for the abzan mirror at the KTK PT?

What prevents Sidisi from also doing this?

I know Lili has other modes but IIRC on camera she often -2'd first. Obviously the threat of the other modes can't be ignored but sidisi's board presence is also nonzero.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

jassi007 posted:

I'll engage seriously. Do you think it isn't good because you need to sac a creature to get the tutor effect? If that is the case, do you think it is bad in GBx decks that have mana dorks, that have no use for them later in the game? It seems like this card is powerful on its own because of its stats, and it has an effect that is relevant in a lot of matches because you will have a creature to easily spare. it is exciting, imagine this sequence of play. Abzan deck t1 or t2 mana dork, t3 rhino, t4 sidisi sac dork, tutor up removal/sweeper, planeswalker to punch through a large hit.

That sequence is magical christmasland. You're not going to want to sac your mana dork on T4 anyway, maybe you will in a late game boardstall but not on T4. Even in your perfect curveout sequence, a T4 Tasigur or Plainswalker is still better so why not play an extra one of those? Or Whisperwood Elemental that takes the game over if unanswered? The other point was that the GBx decks that used to play Pharkia and Whip aren't really that good anymore since there are enchantment hosers all over the place and Ugin trumps them.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Mar 2, 2015

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I don't really like the look of it in Abzan at all, generic goodstuff decks with zero synergy don't have that much need for tutors.

That seems silly. What does lack of synergy in a deck have to do w/ situational usefulness of individual cards?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Because basically all the cards in your deck are good almost all the time, so you could just replace the tutor with another good card and it wouldn't make that much difference. It might turn out that new Sidisi's body is so insanely valuable that it's still playable in spite of that, but I'm not convinced considering how high the bar is for 5 mana creatures in standard.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Because basically all the cards in your deck are good almost all the time, so you could just replace the tutor with another good card and it wouldn't make that much difference. It might turn out that new Sidisi's body is so insanely valuable that it's still playable in spite of that, but I'm not convinced considering how high the bar is for 5 mana creatures in standard.

Courser, Siege Rhino, Ugin can all be great to near worthless depending on the state of the game.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Rinkles posted:

Courser, Siege Rhino, Ugin can all be great to near worthless depending on the state of the game.

The game states in which Courser and Siege Rhino are useless are pretty unusual.

I Don't think new Sidisi will see play in things that look like the current builds of Abzan, but I think she could see some play in Whip.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Elyv posted:

The game states in which Courser and Siege Rhino are useless are pretty unusual.

I Don't think new Sidisi will see play in things that look like the current builds of Abzan, but I think she could see some play in Whip.

I think Whip is still dead unless something in DTK really enables it hard. Torrent Elemental wasn't enough to bring it back and Torrent Elemental is much better than Sidisi 2.

Rinkles posted:

That seems silly. What does lack of synergy in a deck have to do w/ situational usefulness of individual cards?

Sidisi 2 seems not great in Abzan for the simple reason that a 3BB Tutor by itself is bad. A 3BB 4/6 Deathtouch with Tutor stapled to it is good to great, but Abzan has very little that you'd actively want to feed to Sidisi's ability. Gravecrawler would be some fun combo potential if they could fit that into Silumgar somewhere (since Sidisi is a Zombie and can enable Gravecrawler by herself).

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Mar 2, 2015

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

mcmagic posted:

That sequence is magical christmasland. You're not going to want to sac your mana dork on T4 anyway, maybe you will in a late game boardstall but not on T4. Even in your perfect curveout sequence, a T4 Tasigur or Plainswalker is still better so why not play an extra one of those? Or Whisperwood Elemental that takes the game over if unanswered? The other point was that the GBx decks that used to play Pharkia and Whip aren't really that good anymore since there are enchantment hosers all over the place and Ugin trumps them.

That all ignores that he is a good creature just by being a 4/6 deathtouch for 5. That alone gives him consideration. The bonus fact that he fits into existing decks with a relevant tutor effect makes him playable.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Elyv posted:

When you're behind in the mirror? Drawing a Courser in a top deck war when you already have one in play also isn't very good. A turn 6 or so Rhino doesn't seem great against Sultai Control.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

jassi007 posted:

That all ignores that he is a good creature just by being a 4/6 deathtouch for 5. That alone gives him consideration. The bonus fact that he fits into existing decks with a relevant tutor effect makes him playable.

A 4/6 Deathtouch for 3BB alone doesn't seem super amazing. I don't think its a terribly playable card in constructed without the Exploit (goddamn it I keep typing this as EXTORT). Granted, a lot of people said the same thing about Wingmate Roc (since it too costs the same and basically demands a creature in play for its ability to do anything).

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Angry Grimace posted:

I think Whip is still dead unless something in DTK really enables it hard. Torrent Elemental wasn't enough to bring it back and Torrent Elemental is much better than Sidisi 2.

Whip is super dead. I think the next stage is something like this:

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=80679

It's a lot harder to disrupt than Whip decks and it goes over the top of Abzan.

jassi007 posted:

The other 5 drops that you'd have to play him over are Nissa, Torrent Elemental, Wisperwood even Doomwake Giant and they are all much better.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Angry Grimace posted:

Sidisi 2 seems not great in Abzan for the simple reason that a 3BB Tutor by itself is bad. A 3BB 4/6 Deathtouch with Tutor stapled to it is good to great, but Abzan has very little that you'd actively want to feed to Sidisi's ability. Gravecrawler would be some fun combo potential if they could fit that into Silumgar somewhere (since Sidisi is a Zombie and can enable Gravecrawler by herself).

I don't think it's the best home for her either.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Rinkles posted:

I don't think it's the best home for her either.

I definitely think its an interesting card and I think there could be Constructed applications for it, I just don't know that such a deck exists right now (with a total of 7 cards from DTK spoiled).

mcmagic posted:

Whip is super dead. I think the next stage is something like this:

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=80679

It's a lot harder to disrupt than Whip decks and it goes over the top of Abzan.

The other 5 drops that you'd have to play him over are Nissa, Torrent Elemental, Wisperwood even Doomwake Giant and they are all much better.

I think the next stage of the Delve-enabled deck is still Fabiano's Sultai Control deck that already exists.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I'll agree with mcmagic that new sidisi is bad. Here's my reasoning:

80 percent of rares are bad, so odds are she is bad.

Tada! This argument works for all spoiled cards BTW.

Honestly without knowing the rest of the format and doing actual play testing any other 'seems to me' argumentation is just as facile. Still fun though ;)

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Honestly without knowing the rest of the format and doing actual play testing any other 'seems to me' argumentation is just as facile. Still fun though ;)

Looking at spoilers and arguing for/against those cards is literally one of my favorite things in Magic.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Almost certainly correct. It is fun to make cases for how they could be used though. :)

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Angry Grimace posted:

Looking at spoilers and arguing for/against those cards is literally one of my favorite things in Magic.
It's a useful tool to actually learn the contents of a set and have them in the back of your mind, both for deckbuilding with and against possible cards, and their place in the metagame. People underrate the value of the exercise, believing it is just faffing about.

I think Sidisi will probably end up as a 2 of in a couple decks to provide redundancy to limited slot effects like Garruk or Torrent Elemental but more to improve the usage of the SB in games 2 and 3. Not sure where she'll fit in, though, and given how open the metagame actually who knows.

I really do wonder if she's worth it in my cube, though. Disciple of Bolas or w/e the 2/1 was turned out to be pretty close to playable but not quite, and she's kind of way better than him and there's so few good fives.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

jassi007 posted:

Almost certainly correct. It is fun to make cases for how they could be used though. :)

I think the drawback is just too big to seriously see play without something else making is more profitable to eat your own dudes.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Can someone explain to me why people are excited to see Elder Dragon in a type line?

It does nothing mechanically, completely disconnected from the plot of the original elder dragons, and its not like there has been a serious lack of Legendary dragons in the game up until now. I'm self aware enough to know I don't care about plot an setting and flavor as much as some of you guys but seriously come on, its just two words on a type line!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Angry Grimace posted:

I think the next stage of the Delve-enabled deck is still Fabiano's Sultai Control deck that already exists.

No one has won anything with it other than him thought right? And he wins everything he plays in with piles so i'm not sure how great a barometer that is.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

jassi007 posted:

Yeah exactly. I'm lucky that I can get excited for cards that are uncompetitive like durdle turtle and don't get hung up on exactly how playable something is. I also luckily have friends who can do that for me and tell me when to buy in to rabblemasters and so on.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Can someone explain to me why people are excited to see Elder Dragon in a type line?

It does nothing mechanically, completely disconnected from the plot of the original elder dragons, and its not like there has been a serious lack of Legendary dragons in the game up until now. I'm self aware enough to know I don't care about plot an setting and flavor as much as some of you guys but seriously come on, its just two words on a type line!

Because Elder Dragons are cool and this cycle might actually be playable in any deck ever?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

mcmagic posted:

No one has won anything with it other than him thought right? And he wins everything he plays in with piles so i'm not sure how great a barometer that is.

There haven't been enough tournaments to really say, although its still a really popular deck. I don't think that deck demands it be played with Kiora, etc. really.

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Some people like fun. :colbert:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Personally, I'm pretty disappointed that they're not 3 colors. Elder Dragons are 3 colors, man. I guess there's some excitement that there could be a new Bolas or Chromium or something. Palladia-Mors.

Also, why wasn't Jeskai Elser an Elder? :colbert:

And where are my legacy playable cards?! None of these cards are playable. Why does Wizards hate legacy? They never print anything good anymore.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Ciprian Maricon posted:

EDH is named for them, and also it is a huge gently caress you to Bolas since in story he wiped out all other elder dragons.

Ugin looking for revenge with his army of dragons is sort of an exciting story line twist.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Angry Grimace posted:

There haven't been enough tournaments to really say, although its still a really popular deck. I don't think that deck demands it be played with Kiora, etc. really.

Some people like fun. :colbert:

At the PPTQ I played in last weekend it was nowhere to be seen, same with the last 2 big SCG's and GP Memphis.

I think it's 95% Fabiano who just doesn't lose right now and 5% that that deck is so great. It's not.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Someone should get fired for not calling it "Mightymorph" if they were going to use a silly phrase to describe it. And then a cycle of Rangers with the ability.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

mcmagic posted:

At the PPTQ I played in last weekend it was nowhere to be seen, same with the last 2 big SCG's and GP Memphis.

I think it's 95% Fabiano who just doesn't lose right now and 5% that that deck is so great. It's not.

What? It won GP Memphis.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/gpmem15

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Angry Grimace posted:

Someone should get fired for not calling it "Mightymorph" if they were going to use a silly phrase to describe it. And then a cycle of Rangers with the ability.

9 of them. Five are Moxen, one's a Black Lotus, one's Ancestral Recall, one's Time Walk, and one's Timetwister.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Angry Grimace posted:

I hope there's a cycle of rangers anyway. You can't imagine Maro didn't push for that.

I wonder if we get another cycle of two color charms in this block?

• Locked thread