Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Quorum posted:

I tried to read the order but couldn't make it very far before disgust compelled me to click the little red 'x'. Do they provide any justification for why the federal court system is trumped by state courts, or is it literally nothing but :fap:?

They did the same bullshit stunt with interracial marriage. It didn't work then, it won't work this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Quorum posted:

I tried to read the order but couldn't make it very far before disgust compelled me to click the little red 'x'. Do they provide any justification for why the federal court system is trumped by state courts, or is it literally nothing but :fap:?

I believe they cited the previous ruling Gays are Icky v. Adam & Steve, et al

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

a total dickwhistle posted:

"As to Judge Davis's request to be dismissed on the ground that he is subject to a potentially conflicting federal court order, he is directed to advise this Court, by letter brief, no later than 5:00 p.m. on Thursday, March 5, 2015, as to whether he is bound by any existing federal court order regarding the issuance of any marriage license other than the four marriage licenses he was ordered to issue in Strawser."

uh-huh

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Quorum posted:

The Alabama Supreme Court posted:

what the federal district court has done is to declare an entirely new concept of "marriage" a fundamental right under the guise of the previously understood meaning of that institution.

I guess they're going with "The federal court misunderstood the definition of marriage so their ruling should be discounted." :shrug:

Some other choice quotes compiled in this article.

They're also asking any probate judge who disagrees to write an essay explaining why and to have it on teacher's desk by next Tuesday.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Quorum posted:

Bottom line was that because it isn't settled by the Supreme Court yet, it does more damage to have 'confusion' over the issue, so that's why they are randomly claiming original jurisdiction and shutting down all those gay marriages.

Their order asked the one named probate judge in the Federal lawsuit to answer whether he has been ordered to issue any marriage certificate outside the 4 named couples, so they are trying to shut him down as well, but seem to recognize that they people actually involved in the lawsuit get to be married.

And the ACTUAL reason for the ruling is because the Supreme Court Justices in Alabama are elected, and have no shame.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Devor posted:

And the ACTUAL reason for the ruling is because the Supreme Court Justices in Alabama are elected, and have no shame.

Yeah, let's be clear here, the Alabama Supreme Court is under no disillusion that they can actually overrule a federal court. It doesn't matter, they like the cake bakers and florists and TV show hosts before them know that they will become Christian martyrs of the evil gay fascists and probably turn it into lucrative political/speaking careers. They would love nothing more than to be dragged into federal court and to be held in contempt/removed from office, all it does is prove them right to the insane bigots that make up their constituency.

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

I just can't imagine the energy required to be this much of a dick to people.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.
I would love to see what a Show Cause order to a state Supreme Court Judge would read like.

Belome
Jan 1, 2013

katium posted:

I love how the anti-LGBT folks think sodomy is exclusive to gay people.

Straight people have plausible deniability.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Quorum posted:

The only law that truly matters is Sharia law God's law, no matter what anyone else says.:colbert:

gatesealer posted:

I just can't imagine the energy required to be this much of a dick to people.
This still remains the one thing I cannot understand, no matter how hard I try.
Gay people want to get married:

:geno:"Does it affect me in any way?"
:geno: "Nope, have at it then."

You don't even have to specifically support gay marriage, all you have to do is not oppose it.

DutchDupe
Dec 25, 2013

How does the kitty cat go?

...meow?

Very gooood.

Teddybear posted:

The judges are now faced with either violating an order of the state supreme court or violating an order of the federal district court. Both are bad.

I don't understand?

Does federal courts not trump state courts in the United States?

I'm not American so excuse me but I just don't understand.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

DutchDupe posted:

I don't understand?

Yes but it's two completely separate mechanisms. It's separate powers, the federal courts can order the state court to do something or not do something, or hold them in contempt or whatever but in the mean time the authorities that answer to the state court have to follow their orders until directed not to by the federal court.

Basically the state court are being complete pieces of poo poo, they can issue whatever rear end in a top hat idiotic rulings they want and people would be bound and subject to them until the federal court tells them to knock it the gently caress off. In normal polite society they wouldn't do it because it is a waste of time, completely unethical and will likely get them removed from office but in the mean time they can make things difficult.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

DutchDupe posted:

I don't understand?

Federal courts do trump state courts, but that does not stop state courts from issuing silly directives or ordering state police to put people under arrest for contempt of court and so on. In the worst case the federal government has to step in with force like they had to during the civil rights era, i.e. "Do as you are told or get carted off to federal prison."

:laffo: if they go that far though, now that would be a treat. :laugh:

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

DutchDupe posted:

I don't understand?

It's sort of like if your boss told you to do one thing, but the corporate/head office handed down a general directive for everyone to do a different thing. And then your boss doubled down and told you all to ignore the corporate directive. Yes, in the long run, the corporate office is going to win; if nothing else, they'll just fire your boss. But in the meantime, are you really going to defy your boss?

It's not an exact example. For one thing, the federal courts aren't really the "bosses" of the state courts. But certainly when they conflict, the federal courts win.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

I apologize if this is inappropriate for this thread, but I just wanted to give a heads up to some of the posters on the previous page. The most widely accepted terminology in the trans community is "transgender people", not "a transgender/transgenders" or "transgendered people". I'm not remotely offended by these, but some particularly sensitive people will be. Frankly, I'm just glad to have people on our side.

Anyway, for actual content, an article recently came up in my news feed--some sociologists asked same-sex marriage opponents about their justifications for their position: Public Opinion, the Courts, and Same-sex Marriage: Four Lessons Learned

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

DutchDupe posted:

I don't understand?

Where the federal constitution grants greater rights, the federal constitution trumps. Where the state constitution grants greater rights the state trumps. If you're talking about protections that do not directly affect constitutional rights, it depends.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Stroop There It Is posted:

I apologize if this is inappropriate for this thread, but I just wanted to give a heads up to some of the posters on the previous page. The most widely accepted terminology in the trans community is "transgender people", not "a transgender/transgenders" or "transgendered people". I'm not remotely offended by these, but some particularly sensitive people will be. Frankly, I'm just glad to have people on our side.
Genuinely confused about "transgender" versus "transgendered". Is that because the latter makes it sound like a one-and-done thing, when it's not and it's just a state of being? I try to be up on my terminology and those two are super close (which, obviously, isn't enough to guarantee inoffensive, see all the "nigga" rhetoric racists use) so I don't want to slip and a reason would help me remember.

(Sorry to go off topic - that was a pro click link you posted there, though. Go click that, everyone.)

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Genuinely confused about "transgender" versus "transgendered". Is that because the latter makes it sound like a one-and-done thing, when it's not and it's just a state of being? I try to be up on my terminology and those two are super close (which, obviously, isn't enough to guarantee inoffensive, see all the "nigga" rhetoric racists use) so I don't want to slip and a reason would help me remember.

(Sorry to go off topic - that was a pro click link you posted there, though. Go click that, everyone.)

It's because you wouldn't say someone is gayed or blacked or talled.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Genuinely confused about "transgender" versus "transgendered". Is that because the latter makes it sound like a one-and-done thing, when it's not and it's just a state of being?

Not trans personally, so I can only tell you what my trans friends have told me - it makes it sound like something that has been done to the person rather than a descriptor for who they are.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

fade5 posted:

This still remains the one thing I cannot understand, no matter how hard I try.
Gay people want to get married:

:geno:"Does it affect me in any way?"
:geno: "Nope, have at it then."

You don't even have to specifically support gay marriage, all you have to do is not oppose it.

There's been talk about how opponents see gay marriage as the final straw that will cause God to destroy the US and they must make a show of opposing it to save their family earlier in the thread, but there's one other thing that causes this. I've even heard it from members of my family and there's been politicians who have banged on this drum too. The idea that if gays have the right to marry, then they will walk into your church and say "Marry us right now" and if you refuse, your church will be taken to court for discrimination under hate laws. It's obviously completely false, but people actually believe that this will happen and thus think it will affect them if same-sex marriage is legal.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

DutchDupe posted:

I don't understand?

A lot of the state court judges doing this dumb poo poo are from states that have elected judges. What you're seeing is a consequence of how dumb electing judges is as a system. They know they're in the wrong and they'll get the federal courts telling them they're being idiots but their base will lap it up and continue voting them in. This is all a political song and dance for them but with the added bonus of playing politics with the rights of human beings. Yay.

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

StealthArcher posted:

We do not cater to child rapists

This is devils advocacy. Do not harp at me.

If someone said that I'd probably assume they believed all LGBT people were child rapists and were trying to end-run that.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dr. VooDoo posted:

A lot of the state court judges doing this dumb poo poo are from states that have elected judges. What you're seeing is a consequence of how dumb electing judges is as a system. They know they're in the wrong and they'll get the federal courts telling them they're being idiots but their base will lap it up and continue voting them in. This is all a political song and dance for them but with the added bonus of playing politics with the rights of human beings. Yay.

And the best part is that voting for judges is this horrible cycle where the options are all poo poo, so you either try to aim for the Least poo poo option or just say gently caress it and don't vote. So that means crazy assholes vote for whoever. Which sets the trend of you needing to be a crazy rear end in a top hat to get elected by the crazy assholes who vote because crazy assholes won't vote for anyone else.

gently caress voting on judges. It's not like the random citizens know what makes a good job anyway, and they gently caress up more often than not.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Anyway, for actual content, an article recently came up in my news feed--some sociologists asked same-sex marriage opponents about their justifications for their position: Public Opinion, the Courts, and Same-sex Marriage: Four Lessons Learned

That's a drat great read because of how effectively it dismantles the "this isn't about hating gays" talking point. Which, you know, was already ridiculous on its face, but it's nice to have strong evidence. Also loving lol at all the people that didn't understand what "civil union" meant. Kinda wish this study had been done years ago, though.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
edit: nevermind, don't want to inadvertantly start an argument in a thread for something else

Reveilled fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Mar 4, 2015

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Nintendo Kid posted:

It's because you wouldn't say someone is gayed or blacked or talled.

Or blue-eyed or redheaded.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Freudian posted:

Or blue-eyed or redheaded.

Or, you know male gendered or female gendered.

You say someone is "of the male gender" or someone is "male gendered", you never say someone "is male gender".

This is bad grammar masquerading as political correctness.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Jarmak posted:

Or, you know male gendered or female gendered.

You say someone is "of the male gender" or someone is "male gendered", you never say someone "is male gender".

This is bad grammar masquerading as political correctness.

The English language, noted paragon of grammatical regularity. Alternate smug sarcasm: But their skin is actually colored!

Tbh I think it's fair to exert a bare minimum of effort to use terms generally preferred by members of a minority group, to identify that minority group. It's basic human decency, not a slippery slope to either the grammatical implosion of English or the widespread use of bespoke jabber like Lemurian-transethnic griffinkin, preferred pronouns zoink/zoink/zoink.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

I know I've seen transgendered people specifically say they prefer being called transgendered and that transgender feels weird to them, like saying "homosex" instead of "homosexual". Similarly, I'm autistic, and really can't stand the "person with autism" phrasing that keeps getting passed around as more correct. Trans people aren't a monolith, and you can't make blanket statements about what they prefer with weird grammatical reasoning. Just stick to what the person you're talking to at the time prefers.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Getting around to reading this and this is loving great. Is there a chance this will be a part of any court arguments, or get some publications to pull out quotes from it?

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.

Freudian posted:

I know I've seen transgendered people specifically say they prefer being called transgendered and that transgender feels weird to them, like saying "homosex" instead of "homosexual". Similarly, I'm autistic, and really can't stand the "person with autism" phrasing that keeps getting passed around as more correct. Trans people aren't a monolith, and you can't make blanket statements about what they prefer with weird grammatical reasoning. Just stick to what the person you're talking to at the time prefers.

Seriously this. I'm trans and fine with "transgendered." Now, if an individual says they don't want me to use that word around them, sure fine I won't, but it's really irritating to see broad claims like that the word is inherently problematic or otherwise feel like people are speaking for me, especially when they try to use grammar claims that don't actually make sense as their reasoning.
It would be a lot better for someone to just say they think the word has acquired negative connotations, not for any inherent grammatical reason but just as a matter of circumstance, which generally it has (which is why I go with "trans" instead).

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Squizzle posted:

Tbh I think it's fair to exert a bare minimum of effort to use terms generally preferred by members of a minority group, to identify that minority group. It's basic human decency, not a slippery slope to either the grammatical implosion of English or the widespread use of bespoke jabber like Lemurian-transethnic griffinkin, preferred pronouns zoink/zoink/zoink.

But it's very important that all trans people know they're too stupid to decide what to call themselves and that I'm better at grammar than they are :(

Very important. Maybe the most important thing ever, really.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

I don't normally read the in-depth opinions and court rulings posted here, but I'm glad I read that "Four lessons learned" thing (article? Survey? Essay?), if only for this line:

quote:

We asked a subsampleof respondents, “Can you tell me, in your own words, what a civil union is?” Approximately one-fifth (21%) provided partially or fully correct answers, over two-thirds (69%) gave fully incorrect answers, and the remaining one-tenth (10%) sidestepped the question by stating that they did not know what a civil union is or by making disparaging remarks about same-sex couples in lieu of a definition.

:shepface:

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Morter posted:

Getting around to reading this and this is loving great. Is there a chance this will be a part of any court arguments, or get some publications to pull out quotes from it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandeis_Brief

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Squizzle posted:

The English language, noted paragon of grammatical regularity. Alternate smug sarcasm: But their skin is actually colored!

Let's not even touch on the use of intrinsic gendering in non english languages.

I'm sticking with "transgendered" because the transgendered people I know in real life have expressed a preference for that over present tense or compounded words and its a matter of politeness.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I'm sure MLK would be proud

quote:

Today, the Coalition of African American Pastors (CAAP) announced that Alabama Chief Justice Roy Moore would receive their first ever “Letter from Birmingham Jail Courage Award” in recognition of Justice Moore’s principled stand in defense of traditional marriage.

The group was moved to honor Chief Justice Moore following his defense of Alabama’s statutory and constitutional ban on same-sex marriage. Moore’s actions were based on the fact that the federal court does not have the power to redefine marriage in direct opposition to legal tradition and the clearly expressed will of the people. His courage and conviction persuaded CAAP that Chief Moore was the ideal honoree for the inaugural presentation of an award inspired by Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s famous letter.

“Chief Justice Moore is an example for all of us,” stated Rev. William Owens, President of CAAP. “By making a principled and persuasive stand for marriage, Chief Justice Moore has singled himself out as someone who is ready to defend our most cherished values and help lead this new civil rights movement. By his words and courageous actions, he has helped preserve marriage, the family, justice, and the spirit of democracy. This is what it means to be a ‘Letter from Birmingham Jail Courage Award’ recipient. We hope that his example inspires others to take similar action to defend marriage in their own communities.”

The group announced that they plan to present the Letter from Birmingham Jail Courage Award to Justice Moore in a special ceremony in April.

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Mar 4, 2015

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Maybe the letter is laced with poison?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Irony is dead

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

Oh jeez. Beyond the "something done to you" implication, another reason a lot of trans people shy away from "transgendered" is because they feel that the past tense part is reminiscent of the popular but incorrect notion that you have a "sex change" and then you've transitioned, when really it's a process that effectively goes on for the rest of your life (even if you are accepted as your target gender and you are done with surgery, you still have to take hormones). Many other trans people, particularly older ones, are perfectly happy with "transgendered", but the reason I brought this up is that while it's fundamentally impossible to define a "correct" term here, the majority of trans people will be fine with "transgender" over any other term. That doesn't require ignoring individual preferences, and you can use whatever terminology you want, but like I said, it is currently the most widely accepted term and I wanted to bring that up for the purpose of awareness, not shaming or correcting. I don't think transgendered is an incorrect term in any way, but it's got some connotations for a lot of people that I wanted well-meaning posters to be aware of.

And please, let's not be prescriptivist about language and "correct grammar". THAT I find offensive, as someone with a background in linguistics--language changes, and the only truly correct grammar is that which people actually use and understand. :colbert:

I'm glad you guys also found that article good, and while it's not anything particularly new, at least it's concrete evidence for gay marriage opponents' misrepresentation of their justifications. In all these years, I have never been able to wrap my head around how they could think that any of these arguments against SSM are actually secular or logical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

I'm sure MLK would be proud

"The press is so powerful in its image-making role, it can make the criminal look like he's a the victim and make the victim look like he's the criminal. This is the press, an irresponsible press. It will make the criminal look like he's the victim and make the victim look like he's the criminal. If you aren't careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed and loving the people who are doing the oppressing."

It's a Malcolm X quote, but I think the individual statement is relevant.

• Locked thread