Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

ExtraNoise posted:

For some reason this reminded me of something about SimCity 4: I went and visited the Maxis offices in September 2002, a few months before the game came out, to sit down and play SimCity 4. It was a really cool opportunity to get to meet the team and play the game for a few hours. They were super cool with their fans back in the day.

Anyway, one of the things I seem to remember were the cars zipping around at incredible speeds, even on the slowest settings. They were basically so fast that you couldn't even really see them unless you paused the game. On the faster speeds they moved even quicker. They were, of course, modeled to whatever time of day it was in the day/night cycle that SC4 had. Apparently somewhere along the way they must have slowed them down so you could see them better.

And thinking about that now and applying it to what we're seeing in C:S, I'm venturing a guess the traffic models would look a lot more "normal" if cars moved at the speed the day cycle was occurring at. Instead they are getting all bunched up because, relatively, they are all on the road at the same time even if they're not supposed to be.

Yeah, if your time is 10x faster than real time and your traffic is 2x faster, you'll have about 5x more traffic than reality. Then if your buildings generate 1/5 of a realistic amount of cars, you'll hopefully have about the right amount of traffic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

FAT CURES MUSCLES posted:

If I cant meticulously re-create new york down to the homeless man jerking off in the subway this game is poo poo.

Give it a week and Skylines Nexus will have you covered.

DEO3
Oct 25, 2005
This is the only sketchy thing I've seen so far, game looks solid otherwise.

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

DEO3 posted:

That just makes me want this game even more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GC_mV1IpjWA

crabcakes66 fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Mar 4, 2015

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012
So what you're all saying is that the game isn't a bucket of poo poo?

It basically just looks like CiM2 + city building (which is a good thing as far as I'm concerned)

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

DEO3 posted:

There's also two cruise ships passing through the bridge. They used to be able to climb dams. :(

One annoying thing in the streams is how the chirper keeps going off even if nobody has nothing important to say, just like real life. In the quill stream I think I saw that person whining about the oil pump about 1000 times, and another person extending their vacation every minute.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

The chirper bird's just a static graphic, right? I bet it wouldn't be that difficult to replace with something like a newspaper's header and swap in the paper-rustling sound from Victoria 2, for both a bit more of a low-tech feel and something still audible but less intrusive.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

DEO3 posted:

You sound like someone who doesn't want to build Rapture.

Edit: Has there been any sightings of lots that dig into the ground as part of the structure? Can you create lowered highways?

Inverness fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Mar 4, 2015

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

DatonKallandor posted:

"They said I was mad to build a bridge over a bridge? I built another bridge on top of that! Mad? Or a Bridge-Genius?"
Edit: When the game comes out I'll just build all my Highways at max-height right over my zoned districts if it lets me.

Ofaloaf posted:

"That's right, I'm gonna make interchanges," he cackled.

triplexpac posted:

What, your home city doesn't have a nightmarish tangle of bridges? Looks realistic to me.

suddenlyissoon posted:

All he has done is built Atlanta with water.

All correct. For some loving reason I felt the need to discard my carefully managed and shepherded budget and spend like $200k on loving weird-rear end bridges. It was the pressure to keep the stream interesting and moving.

Hilariously they work(ish) for solving the problem I wanted them to solve... but I'll probably demolish them sooner or later. Or make it worse.

Baronjutter posted:

Still, merging lanes are really needed for the highway tools. The whole point of these mazes of ramps is to avoid any signals or stops, everything is supposed to flow and merge. When the default way of joining streets is a regular signaled intersection with a crosswalk, that's why you get these huge traffic jams because traffic that should be flowing and merging is stopped at a light that shouldn't exist.

Here's a building question: is every "lot" in the game a unique model, or is it like sc4 where the same building model might have a few different lots? For example the same house might come on a 1x2 lot or a 1x3 lot or a 1x4 lot, giving more flexibility in placement.

Agreed on the merge lanes. I'd really like them.

As far as the lots, there's some 1x2 models, but I've never seen one scale up to something like 1x4. As soon as it's that deep you've wasted space. I haven't seen a model scale to a different size lot yet, just fail to fill the available space. *sometimes* they'll take up less or more space when they upgrade from education.

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

The city that the escapist streamer has built looks absolutely fantastic. I think I'm sold on this game.

PadreScout posted:

Yeah, that escapist stream got me to pre-order it. gently caress my life.

Glad I could part you from your money.

DEO3 posted:

That Escapist dude's city looks enormous, and he's only at 64,000 of the 1,000,000 population cap - I don't think we're going to see any major issues on that front.

gman14msu posted:

And he just did a tour, briefly popping by all the areas (like 20 different ones) of his city, and that took like 10 minutes. Plot twist: only using 3 tiles. Looks like 9 tiles is going to be plenty of space to do a lot of cool things. Also he was at about 20 gameplay hours.

It is a pretty big city. I have no idea how it'll be possible to hit the 1mil cap and still have any normal residential or commercial space. You'll only have high density by the end, I think.

DEO3 posted:

This is very possible. Weird poo poo can be done with the dams. I reported it to the devs first day of getting the review code. They're "working on it."

As to DLC and mods, they stated to us that the euro city blocks and the tunnels for all road types will be free. Not sure what else will or won't be free. They want to do a lot of free DLC, the publisher obviously would prefer if consumers paid for some of it. That said, PDX doesn't particularly like to release DLC with zero free aspect.

If you're curious about my stream, it's at http://www.twitch.tv/escapistmagazine/v/3857886 for the moment.

Edit:

Inverness posted:

Edit: Has there been any sightings of lots that dig into the ground as part of the structure? Can you create lowered highways?

There aren't any. Lots raise to flat where possible. Tunnels forthcoming "when they're done" per devs... but that's all the digging you'll see.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

JonBolds posted:

There aren't any. Lots raise to flat where possible. Tunnels forthcoming "when they're done" per devs... but that's all the digging you'll see.
That might be something mods could take care of as they did with SC4.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Goetta posted:

The freight trucks causing traffic jams seems a little overdone I think. I really hope you can adjust this kind of stuff with a simple adjustment mod. Better yet, it would be cool if there is a way for industries that poo poo out lots of freight trucks to be in your city until traffic density gets bad, then move out in favor of something else. I have no idea at what level the game simulates this stuff.

You can eventually ban trucks from certain neighbourhood, so you can route freight traffic through your city by making no-go zones, which is nice.

JonBolds posted:

If you're curious about my stream, it's at http://www.twitch.tv/escapistmagazine/v/3857886 for the moment.

Great stream and city, I think you have made the best preview city so far, it is far more realistic than others, sure it has grids but they are organic and are not 5km long straight roads.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm 100% fine with paying for DLC if it's good and better than free stuff. I'd have so much preferred them not to bother with those awful no-effort farms and forestry and later sold some "Resource" DLC that implemented them properly. Like I would have happily paid them $10 to not include those small vacant lots they call farms and instead later on come out with something that isn't forced to fit in the 4x4 zoning system. Even Cities XL's "slap a farm texture on a huge user defined polygon" was a better system.

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

those awful no-effort farms and forestry and later sold some "Resource" DLC that implemented them properly.

How do you know it was "no-effort"? This bugs me the most about the complaints I've read. You don't know how much or little effort went in to what we got. Just supposing that the things you want are "easy to do" is dumb. Sorry!

I know other games have done this but we have little to no idea about how this game is programmed. Maybe the way they've designed things has made it more difficult to to implement CitiesXL style farms? Perhaps they had more critical things to focus their time on?

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

drunkill posted:

Great stream and city, I think you have made the best preview city so far, it is far more realistic than others, sure it has grids but they are organic and are not 5km long straight roads.

Cheers. I made it look like my hometown - a grid of straight things in downtown surrounded by spilled spaghetti and horrifyingly poorly constructed highway interchanges.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

They really feel tacked on as an after though. Like they designed the whole zoning system for city buildings then someone said "hey let's do farms!" but they didn't have the time/resources to do it properly as their own system, so they just badly shoe-horned them into the existing systems they had. They certainly did have more important thing to focus on though, which is why it was silly of them to waste any of their time on them. Obviously they put some effort into them, but when they figured out they didn't have enough time to give it the effort they needed they should have moved onto something else, like tunnels or just general polish/bug fixing. What's done is done though, I just hope they re-visit the whole district-based industries one day.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Who wants to put a farm in a city anyway? Enough of this hippie bullshit

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
I think I've seen enough gameplay to know I want to purchase this game now. I'll give it until the ninth.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Planescape: Skylines

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Baronjutter posted:

They really feel tacked on as an after though. Like they designed the whole zoning system for city buildings then someone said "hey let's do farms!" but they didn't have the time/resources to do it properly as their own system, so they just badly shoe-horned them into the existing systems they had. They certainly did have more important thing to focus on though, which is why it was silly of them to waste any of their time on them. Obviously they put some effort into them, but when they figured out they didn't have enough time to give it the effort they needed they should have moved onto something else, like tunnels or just general polish/bug fixing. What's done is done though, I just hope they re-visit the whole district-based industries one day.

Or they were pressured into adding farms for monetary reasons, either from dev pressure or consumer pressure, even though it was out of the scope of the game. Not all decisions are made with glee and joy. Which often times is apparent in the result.

/edit/
So half your point I suppose : made as an after thought, but not without effort.

Popoto fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Mar 4, 2015

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

realistic_city_simulator.jpg

So this is now the rollercoaster tycoon 5 thread.

The best part was the way the music swells as he approaches the existing bridge like the game itself was saying, "aww gently caress dog, we gonna do something AMAZING"

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Seems to me the farms are just like the other specialty things -- they all have to fit in four-square lots. Farms are just more familiar to people, so they seem to focus on that and no one mentions how ridiculously small the tree farms also are and few mention the same with ore.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Found a really good combo of coupons, pre-ordered. Hi.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Slime TrainerS

Baronjutter posted:

Are you joshing? What kind of combo?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Farms: CK2 launched with the inability to play as Muslims except poorly through console commands. They added DLC to add fully featured mechanics to Islamic rulers which made the default Christianity mechanics kind of butts. That got its own overhaul.

Farms will be fine in time.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Jamfrost posted:

Are you joshing? What kind of combo?

Got it on green man gaming for under $20. Why not, I know exactly what I'm getting into and I'm fine paying $20 for what I've seen so far, if it gets better that's a bonus.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Farms: CK2 launched with the inability to play as Muslims except poorly through console commands. They added DLC to add fully featured mechanics to Islamic rulers which made the default Christianity mechanics kind of butts. That got its own overhaul.

Farms will be fine in time.

CO isn't paradox though and there's a bunch of bitter CiM2 players who feel CO really dropped the ball on mod support. That said CO and Paradox seem to be working much closer this time, Paradox has made this game a priority and I have a feeling we'll be seeing good things out of CO in the future, but I don't have the absolute confidence that I would with a Paradox game getting years of really really good DLC. Also I'm happy to support those goof ball fins and maybe if Skylines does well they can afford to stop cutting their own hair.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Mar 4, 2015

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Baronjutter posted:

Got it on green man gaming for under $20. Why not, I know exactly what I'm getting into and I'm fine paying $20 for what I've seen so far, if it gets better that's a bonus.

CO isn't paradox though and there's a bunch of bitter CiM2 players who feel CO really dropped the ball on mod support. That said CO and Paradox seem to be working much closer this time, Paradox has made this game a priority and I have a feeling we'll be seeing good things out of CO in the future, but I don't have the absolute confidence that I would with a Paradox game getting years of really really good DLC. Also I'm happy to support those goof ball fins and maybe if Skylines does well they can afford to stop cutting their own hair.

I'm still wary though: paradox publishing, as far as I know, is a different company from paradox development. Both are completely separate and people very often mix them up.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I'm aware that they're not developing this but instead publishing, BUT I'm also aware they seem to be much more involved with this one than the CiM games. It may end up being shoved out as poo poo, but so far their promises on the free DLC have been much more Paradox development studio-esque than CiM.

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012
I think more importantly they appear to have done a good job so far so there is no reason to assume they're going to gently caress everything up post-release. Maybe people shouldn't pin all their hopes and dreams on it though.

ShadowGlass
Nov 13, 2012

Nition posted:

Yeah, if your time is 10x faster than real time and your traffic is 2x faster, you'll have about 5x more traffic than reality. Then if your buildings generate 1/5 of a realistic amount of cars, you'll hopefully have about the right amount of traffic.

This is probably why small towns with low density zones generate relatively higher traffic in the game. You can divide the number of families living in an apartment building by 5 or whatever number you need, but you can't really do that with a single family detached house. That will always have 1 family.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I love the freedom of the roads.

I tried playing Cities XXL to scratch the itch a little bit but I totally gave up when I found out I couldn't make a proper working onramp to the freeway.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

I am the last holdout apparently.

Have fun with your stupid awesome amazing game on day one, nerds. :(

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012
I haven't pre-ordered.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

MonoAus posted:

I haven't pre-ordered.

I have.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Slime TrainerS

ExtraNoise posted:

I can't wait to be disappointed. :yayclod:

At the very least, it'll be a fun road-laying game.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Baronjutter posted:

One of us. One of us.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

ExtraNoise posted:

I am the last holdout apparently.

Nah, I still haven't and won't. Not until I see some late game performance on an ancient machine.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
I was burned horribly on SimCity 2013.

I won't be hurt again. :colbert:

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Slime TrainerS

zxqv8 posted:

I was burned horribly on SimCity 2013.

I won't be hurt again. :colbert:

It'll be okay. :unsmith:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Nition posted:

This is the result of time dilation. If time passes at a faster rate than real life relative to vehicle speed, then there will be artifically more traffic. They've actually scaled down the traffic if those earlier reports of 12 people per tower block were correct, but those factors will balance each other out. Maybe they've got that balance a little off. The solutions would be less people per building, or more time in a day, or faster vehicles.

Just to be clear, it's more like 12 households per tower block - a household tends to be ~4 CIMs. Numbers can vary a bit since households aren't a fixed size and buildings hold more households as they level up, but I have 100-150 Cims per tower in my current city.

Baronjutter posted:

Trap sprung.

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Mar 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

So, can I make a horrible dirty industry hellhole with gritty looking houses and stuff? All the screenshots like nightmarishly clean and cheery.

• Locked thread