Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
We've got a mechadendrite just for this occasion! Whip that fucker out and see who this is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
D+ use our equipment to identify them

Hopefully this is just K being overly dramatic again.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Do all that snarky poo poo.... but get our RING GUN ready, just in case.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Good point about the auspex. We have it for situations like this. I change my snarky sogol vote to say we do a quick scan then do snarky sogol if appropriate.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Use the Auspex, if they don't seem like they want to kill us then go with plan Sogol

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
welp dwarf sold us out

never trust a dorf

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
We can see in the dark. I vote to see in the dark.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Plan Sogol sounds good to me!

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Again, sorry for the reduction in content. Its a test week/I’m working on the side project, but that shouldn’t be more than a couple of weeks. I still intend to do ~1 post/a day to keep the story moving.

Concern

Your mind raced. Had you been betrayed? Had the Dwarf or the Istvaan planned your death? Trapping you in a chamber here could lead to any number of things - nerve gas, spacing. You reached for your gas mask, readied it. You regretted that it didn’t have much oxygen, but perhaps it would give you time to survive. You listened carefully - only the strange sound of scales working the floor.

Perhaps it was Kozilek or another Inquisitor trying to shake your nerves - or simply see what you were made of. You were a fast promoted Interrogator, and had a reputation that some people didn’t gain in decades. If they weren’t trying to immediately kill you, that seemed more likely. You struck a confident pose, even as you checked your weapons implants. You couldn’t be too sure.

You sent your servoskulls out, even as you cycled through your auspex, your optical mechadendrite raising to the heavens. Nothing in the standard visual spectrum, although the infrared was providing some … odd … results. It looked like the wall was moving towards you. You briefly wondered why a fortress would have a crushing wall trap, then remembered it was the Inquisition. Some of them had more dramatics than sense.

You considered how to manage a crushing wall trap - perhaps some sort of obstruction? Perhaps you had time to entice the Machine-Spirits before they enacted their will. Before you could though, the vision made sense - it wasn’t a wall, it was a creature. A huge thing, of scales and slow hunger. It looked like a tunnelling worm of some sort, released from one of the side chambers. You could almost hear the Dwarf’s scathing tone… ”Inquisitors.”

Time enough to figure out who was trying to kill you later. You decided to…

A. Open fire with implants. No creature alive could handle your armory.
B. Your Alpha Strike might be worth surprising an Inquisitor later. Work the Machine Spirits.
C. Use your other firearms and save your implants for later.
D. Stand very still and silent. It doesn’t seem to have noticed you yet.
E. Something Else.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

+ Sacrifice a skull to lead it in a different direction

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!
B. It's not a loving T-Rex. It'll notice us.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
A

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

C with a side of B

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

B

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
B

LowellDND posted:

Again, sorry for the reduction in content. Its a test week/I’m working on the side project, but that shouldn’t be more than a couple of weeks. I still intend to do ~1 post/a day to keep the story moving.

The amount of words you have written in this thread is astounding, there is no need to apologize for having to slow down, we all appreciate how much time you have put into this :)

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
B. We're a wizard, not a barbarian.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Oasx posted:

B

The amount of words you have written in this thread is astounding, there is no need to apologize for having to slow down, we all appreciate how much time you have put into this :)
This. The few weeks have been amazing.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Ghostwoods posted:

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
So presumably not K or another Inquisitor and something we would definitely interpret as a threat. Drat.

Binary preserve us.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
B. Really, now. An assassination attempt? With an animal? That almost feels tedious somehow, like a limp-wristed handshake. Haven't these people any sense of style?

LowellDND posted:

Man, to be honest your normal updating schedule goes so fast I barely have time to process the intrigue before the next update is upon us, I'm perfectly fine with something slower!

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

I think this is our first proper solo combat since we blew up and then failed to shoot those pilgrims way back when!

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
B We're gonna need to leave anyway.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
A

Let's just kill it quickly using everything but the ring unless we need to.

Everybody here knows that we're a tech priest so they wouldn't set up a trap for us here if there was the possibility that we could just hack the walls open.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Ghostwoods posted:

+1

Esper
Nov 23, 2004
Killed a baboon, once.

Kegslayer posted:

A

Let's just kill it quickly using everything but the ring unless we need to.

Everybody here knows that we're a tech priest so they wouldn't set up a trap for us here if there was the possibility that we could just hack the walls open.

This is what I was thinking. Sometimes you got to hack, and sometimes you got to hack and slash.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Thank you all! :D

A x x x
B x x x x x, x x x x x,
C
B/C x
D x
E

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Ghostwoods posted:

Bingo

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
What are we reaching out to the machine spirits for? Access to surveillance nets is well and good, but we see what's coming after us. Are we just trying to open the doors so we can leg it? Turn on some interior defense systems? Post a scathing review of this tunnel trap on Space-Yelp? I vote we open up with weapons and blast the thing. After all, I would rather reveal our potent defenses rather than our superior hacking skills.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
We should post a scathing review of this tunnel trap on Space-Yelp, though.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

sullat posted:

What are we reaching out to the machine spirits for? Access to surveillance nets is well and good, but we see what's coming after us. Are we just trying to open the doors so we can leg it? Turn on some interior defense systems? Post a scathing review of this tunnel trap on Space-Yelp? I vote we open up with weapons and blast the thing. After all, I would rather reveal our potent defenses rather than our superior hacking skills.

We're trying to open the doors. Potent defenses are the last thing you want to reveal, it gives your enemy the chance to develop counters and work-arounds.

paragon1 fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Mar 4, 2015

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
I also figure hacking occurs at the highly amplified speed of thought and in the past we have done it very effectively while still doing or readying other things. We don't even know if this thing itself is biological or what.

Very interesting that someone here wants us dead rather than incriminated. This might imply a bunch of things. Somehow the investigation into our activity is going to reveal something that someone really does not wish revealed? Someone else is damaged or incriminated by our death? Could be some sort of plot following us from the ship, but that does not seem as likely. This requires someone very intimate with the workings of this place. Most likely it is one faction trying to frame another or something.

Why shut off the lights? It does not effect us greatly. Anyone who cares enough to kill us would know that, it seems. So it is not for us, but to eliminate witnesses or something. It is also all very brute force. If we want to eliminate witnesses we just rewrite memory and then cause that to forget it was rewritten. I suppose it could be a side effect of the tunnel worm itself or something.

It also could be that this is how some aspect of our inquisition takes place, gauging how we react to such events. Threatened? Whip out some heretek artifact to save our lives or something.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

VanSandman posted:

We should post a scathing review of this tunnel trap on Space-Yelp, though.

1/5. Slow, inefficient. I suppose that's what happens when you rely on xenos to do your work for you.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

-rolls- Okay, we missed a success by a sliver - you are reasonably confident you could hack it given another try. (not certain, but reasonable)

Spend (not burn) Fate point:
Yes, we don't want to risk a fight
No, we can shoot this thing and be on our way

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
If we have a few spares and will regen them soonish burn spend.

But we have to act like we think that's normal around here, as though we accidentally walked into a broom closet. Whoops, that was embarrassing, hope none saw me do that haha.

Sour Blossom
Apr 21, 2005
L O L 6 6
Yes, spend it. Fate points are meant for things like this. We can always break out laser disco buzzsaw mode after.

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!
Spend

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Eh, we should save it to spend on the upcoming trial and diplomacy-ing. We're pretty decked out in gear and can fight pretty well at the moment. Plus we have most of our retinue with us (sadly I don't see Tanya).

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Save

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
How many fate points do we have right now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

RandomPauI posted:

How many fate points do we have right now?

Three, start of a new session.

This session will probably last 4-8 real life weeks, depending.