Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

turns out we are on Inverse Earth and every new character in the series is actually a magical copy of a Negima character

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The real twist is that there is a Negi clone for each of Negi's students. Either there is no significance to Touta being a Konoe or else he isn't so much a clone as he is an artificial descendent. Meaning, Negi indirectly had a kid with every single girl, including the ones where that makes no sense. Especially the ones where that makes no sense.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
What I'm getting from this conversation is the current battle is the Negima equivalent of Liquid vs. Solid Snake.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

What I'm getting from this conversation is the current battle is the Negima equivalent of Liquid vs. Solid Snake.

Maybe Solidus instead of one of the two, but yeah basically.

Kuroumaru is obviously Raiden.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Well, considering all of the Revengeance references, I can't wait for the series to be even more homo-erotic.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Oh god, if those are hinting at that... :vince:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Sooooo, latest chapter is up on Crunchyroll.

Spoilers on the shocking truth behind Tota's true identity:

If it's true, it fits a lot better than DC's run with the twist.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
This chapter also confirms that Santa is still a better protagonist than Touta though.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I like the idea of having them regularly trade places as protagonist.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Silento posted:

Is it just me or does the mystery enemy's sword look an awful lot like Asuna's sword?

New chapter confirms it's a replica, but still has some of the same power.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Allarion posted:

This chapter also confirms that Santa is still a better protagonist than Touta though.

That isn't really fair, Santa is a better protagonist than most leads.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

GodFish posted:

That isn't really fair, Santa is a better protagonist than most leads.

Gotta love his face in that last panel.

So is the new girl calling Touta Brother a sarcastic honorific or is she actually related?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

MadHat posted:

So is the new girl calling Touta Brother a sarcastic honorific or is she actually related?

Presumably she is another clone, so a little of both. Also given this series, who's to say she's actually a girl?

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

MadHat posted:

She's referred to Negi as Grandfather as well, so I'm gonna guess she's also like Touta

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Shinjobi posted:

"It was easy to get Bruce Negi's DNA. He left it all over Mahora."

"...Not remotely what I meant!"

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Hmm, well since we're going with this theme. There's probably at least 27 more clones where she comes from. Her mother might as well be Ku Fei.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

It's going to get a bit weird when she becomes a love interest.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Shinjobi posted:

You got me excited there for a moment, I love the idea of Genetic Clones over Grown in vat.

Negi Springfield
Mar 3, 2015

Yggdrasil325 posted:

So, uh, apparently the first volume's been out in English since March: Amazon

I own it. I am not too impressed with the way the story is being handled or the characters. Don't get me wrong, there are some very nice designs in there. The issue with the main character is hard to overlook though, becuase he's a legit retard. Akamatsu killed off a good series and then did another series with the exact same flaws of the previous. The good poo poo in Negima was how it could switch back and forth from one thing to the next, from a harem type comedy to a shounen battle epic. I really loved the School Festival arc because it really showed off this aspect and the wonderful artwork. Not to mention other story elements, which came in handy later, such as the Cassiopeia.

If you like UQ HOlder, I'm not going to try to convince you to agree with me on why it's not good. It's a matter of taste. Let's vote with our wallets and maybe we can convince Akamatsu to change his mind on some of the things he's going to do with the series.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Negi Springfield posted:

I own it. I am not too impressed with the way the story is being handled or the characters. Don't get me wrong, there are some very nice designs in there. The issue with the main character is hard to overlook though, becuase he's a legit retard. Akamatsu killed off a good series and then did another series with the exact same flaws of the previous. The good poo poo in Negima was how it could switch back and forth from one thing to the next, from a harem type comedy to a shounen battle epic. I really loved the School Festival arc because it really showed off this aspect and the wonderful artwork. Not to mention other story elements, which came in handy later, such as the Cassiopeia.

If you like UQ HOlder, I'm not going to try to convince you to agree with me on why it's not good. It's a matter of taste. Let's vote with our wallets and maybe we can convince Akamatsu to change his mind on some of the things he's going to do with the series.

Right, so first off you replied to a post that's over half a year old, which is somewhat frowned on around here.

Second off, Akamatsu didn't just up and say one day "Hey I'm just gonna end this successful series so I can make a sequel later on." He ended it because there was a law being passed that would have made it so the rights to Negima would have gone to the publisher rather than staying in his hands. If he had the choice I imagine he would rather have continued Negima rather than be forced to start something new.

I don't know if you've lurked the forums at all, but even if you did I find there's no such thing as enough lurking.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
At least he didn't revive a dead thread :v:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Re: the new character, remember that the special power of Negi's pactio with Theodora was him being able to copy the powers of everyone he made a pactio with. So since she can copy Asuna's sword, it would make sense if she too was a Negi-clone.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Serious Frolicking posted:

The real twist is that there is a Negi clone for each of Negi's students. Either there is no significance to Touta being a Konoe or else he isn't so much a clone as he is an artificial descendent. Meaning, Negi indirectly had a kid with every single girl, including the ones where that makes no sense. Especially the ones where that makes no sense.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I wonder if Touta will be the only one who inherited Magia Erebea or there will be multiple users; if not that could be why he is so "sought after".

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Comedy option:

Touta: Negi + Konoka
Kuromaru: Negi + Setsuna
Kirie: Negi + Chisame
Robot dude: Negi + Chachamaru
Santa: Negi + Sayo
New girl: Negi + Eva or Chao

Mikl fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Mar 4, 2015

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Les Enfants Terribles!

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

Les Enfants Terribles!
The Super Baby Method by Kurt Godel

E: since the the recessive and dominant ones are clearly here, there must be a well balanced individual on Negi's throne in New Ostia

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Mar 4, 2015

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Yeah, she's named Asuna.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!
I'm kinda bummed by the implication that Negi couldn't have any kids, not "didn't."

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Skychrono posted:

I'm kinda bummed by the implication that Negi couldn't have any kids, not "didn't."

Source doesn't seem credible.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I guess I got beaten to the Metal Gear Solid joke. But I can't imagine newgirl yelling anything other than BRRROOOTHER! in that panel.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Rodyle posted:

Source doesn't seem credible.

Chao Lingshen says hi.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

So the new girl seems to know a lot about Touta. She says he was more of a challenge "before". She uses black magical spike things... Fate lied, she's got to be the one who killed his parents and gave him amnesia.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Technically, if he didn't up and murder them, he could still view himself to have "killed" them due to negligence (IE: letting Sis murder them)

JimmyT64
Oct 27, 2007
I'm Special!

Emzedoh posted:

So the new girl seems to know a lot about Touta. She says he was more of a challenge "before". She uses black magical spike things... Fate lied, she's got to be the one who killed his parents and gave him amnesia.

"Before" references before he went crazy-go-magia in this very fight. Lots of people use black magical spike things, Touta included. Not really much to go on, methinks.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

Angry Grimace posted:

Chao Lingshen says hi.

Touta's daughter?

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

JimmyT64 posted:

"Before" references before he went crazy-go-magia in this very fight. Lots of people use black magical spike things, Touta included. Not really much to go on, methinks.

I hadn't thought of it that way, but it still feels plausible to me.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

I love the crazy face on the bottom of page 10. Now if only we could get some more funny child-Eva faces...

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Read through this recently. Tota's my favorite. Like he's just a kid trying to figure out what to do with his life but all these superpowered lunatics keep appearing and won't shut the gently caress up about his grandfather. He grew on me pretty quick with the UNBREAKABLE FRIENDSHIP CONTRACT but the kicker was telling Fate he hated his smug prick face right to his smug prick face. Also his fights are pretty fun!

It might be because I only know the basics of Negima. I'm just here for BROVENTURES.

EDIT: also the strangely heartwarming familial relationship with his weird vampire mom.

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Mar 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

HellCopter posted:

I guess I got beaten to the Metal Gear Solid joke. But I can't imagine newgirl yelling anything other than BRRROOOTHER! in that panel.

The best thing to come out of this would be Kotaru's descendant playing the role of Revolver Ocelot

• Locked thread