Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

an adult beverage posted:

kill em all, ride the lightning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
The k cup things should come in those plastic six pack soda rings and they should be dumped in the ocean

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

Buy a french press and an electric kettle you dumb fucks.

Aeropress is like 1/20th the cleanup work and basically unbreakable.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

an adult beverage posted:

The k cup things should come in those plastic six pack soda rings and they should be dumped in the ocean
Why do they even still make those? Cartoon characters were berating me about how bad they were 20 years ago, you'd think they'd have come up with something better in that time.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Casimir Radon posted:

Why do they even still make those? Cartoon characters were berating me about how bad they were 20 years ago, you'd think they'd have come up with something better in that time.

Sun Chips made those biodegradeable potato chip bags, but then everyone bitched about how loud they were so angrily that they discontinued them forever; then switched back to the bags that ruin the environment to appease fat hillbillies.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Dr Cheeto posted:

Because the SCAA are a bunch of pretentious assholes who look at you like an ignorant child if you don't preheat your mug before brewing into it.

Fun fact: the porlex mini is small enough to fit inside of the aeropress for storage

Allhu Ahkbar

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
I really don't get the arguments for a keurig. If you didn't care about taste and just wanted a hot cup of caffeine why not use instant? If you do care about taste but don't want as much hassel you'd still be better off buying preground stuff and using a pourover filter. The Keurig in general just sorta strikes me as a keeping up with the joneses thing.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
I have one but I am a 50 year old woman and hate coffee.

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

NihilismNow posted:

"Do you people all froth at the mouth if someone drives past you in a Mercedes or BMW when they could very well get to the same destination in a '98 Buick Regal?"

You were the one that compared instant coffeemakers to a premium brand and regular coffeemakers to a shitbox. When in reality the situation is reversed. You are right the price disparity is not 200x, more like 3x for the coffeemaker and 6x for the coffee.

When did I compare them to a shitbox?

Grinding your own and a French press most definitely makes a better cup of coffee. No argument here at all. I'm pointing out the argument people were making that Keurig owners were wannabe hipsters who used them as a status symbol and they are only capable of producing poo poo coffee. I was being snide on the car thing as the attacks on the Keurig came down to the idea that it is insanely expensive and is comparable to Folgers crystals.

And I'm not worried about the economics of the coffee, since it isn't going to break the bank for me, and I drink one cup of coffee per day. I'm not going to argue the economics of coffee between material cost and time spent making it.

It boils down to this: The Keurig is quick, takes pretty much no effort, requires no clean up except the cup, and I am in a position in my life where I have the disposable income to own one. Does it make the best coffee out there/better than fresh-brewed? No, it doesn't. But it doesn't have to be an either/or situation. I have a Chevy Equinox as a work car and a tuned '87 Mustang that gets five blocks to the gallon as a fun weekend car. They each have their respective qualities and one is not better than the other, being as their purposes are totally different.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

ArbitraryC posted:

I really don't get the arguments for a keurig. If you didn't care about taste and just wanted a hot cup of caffeine why not use instant? If you do care about taste but don't want as much hassel you'd still be better off buying preground stuff and using a pourover filter. The Keurig in general just sorta strikes me as a keeping up with the joneses thing.

shocking, but everyone tastes coffee differently (like beer, etc) and I actually think some kcup brands are pretty good.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Casimir Radon posted:

Cost. If you buy better beer you'll find they typically don't use those and instead have these rigid plastic caps that hold the beers from the top, and these are typically made from recycled plstic and are of course recycleble themselves. Also a lot of the better beers will sell their 6 or 4 packs in small boxes instead, and again that's recyclable.

Basically only the big domestic light beers still use the bad ones, cause they're cheaper.

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

ArbitraryC posted:

The Keurig in general just sorta strikes me as a keeping up with the joneses thing.

Houses, cars, watches, clothing brands are a "Keeping Up With the Jones" thing. A $90 coffee maker isn't.

HodjasBitch
Apr 24, 2003

Too bad you revealed what a huge asshole you are so early in the game.....I woulda put out.
Fun Shoe

NihilismNow posted:

If you use a Keurig/Senseo or Nespresso you should probably just go kill yourself.

My Senseo was free. The only pods I ever used in it were also free. Since then, I've used a refillable pod and my own coffee. I only drink a few cups a week, and I really don't give a poo poo about extracting maximum flavor from my grounds. When this machine dies, I'll probably go 100% tea because I am a poor.

I may still kill myself later, though. Totally unrelated to my coffee brewing/drinking habits.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Count Freebasie posted:

Houses, cars, watches, clothing brands are a "Keeping Up With the Jones" thing. A $90 coffee maker isn't.
But there's no real reason to own one in the first place though? Like I haven't seen a single compelling argument in favor of them that can't be replaced with something else. If you don't care about taste, instant is easier/faster. If you do care about taste, a preground pourover is single serving, takes roughly the same amount of time (less probably in the long run if you factor having to clean the keurig), and will still be better tasting. My parents have a keurig and I've had plenty experiences with using pourovers, it really isn't much of a difference at all in level of effort.

I guess they're not bad for offices cause everyone can have their own single serve of whatever flavor, but even in an office setting just having one person make a full pot every so often is going to take less time than people waiting for individual servings.

It's just a modern appliance that everyone gets because everyone else has one.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Darth123123 posted:

shocking, but everyone tastes coffee differently (like beer, etc) and I actually think some kcup brands are pretty good.

Well ok but you're wrong.

=====

No hipster owns a Keurig. Lazy housewives and 40+ businessmen buy them.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

just use this

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

ArbitraryC posted:

I guess they're not bad for offices cause everyone can have their own single serve of whatever flavor, but even in an office setting just having one person make a full pot every so often is going to take less time than people waiting for individual servings.

There are offices that are not equipped with full auto coffee machines? I've honestly never seen one. Every place i've ever worked has had free fully automatic coffee machines (and forbids instant coffeemakers because they are a fire hazard).

Nonsense posted:

just use this

But not that one because it is made out of aluminium and makes the coffee taste lovely and probably gives you alzheimers.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

NihilismNow posted:

There are offices that are not equipped with full auto coffee machines? I've honestly never seen one. Every place i've ever worked has had free fully automatic coffee machines (and forbids instant coffeemakers because they are a fire hazard).
I dunno I've heard people mention keurigs for office use a lot and I've seen some around where I work too. I'd agree if you had enough people it'd make sense to just have a machine for it though.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

NihilismNow posted:

But not that one because it is made out of aluminium and makes the coffee taste lovely and probably gives you alzheimers.

ya the fluoride in the water will make your sons grow tits as well

HodjasBitch
Apr 24, 2003

Too bad you revealed what a huge asshole you are so early in the game.....I woulda put out.
Fun Shoe
"Just use instant" is bullshit. I don't need my ground coffee beans to taste and smell like they were shat from the hindquarters of some trancendent creature, but instant is not my next logical choice. As a poor, I often settle for less tasty and costly items for budget reasons. This is why I don't replace my FREE Senseo with another brewing device. I'm not even sure that there is much cost savings in instant coffee, tbh.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

also you don't know coffee if you're suggesting people use some loving anal vacuum

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Nonsense posted:

also you don't know coffee if you're suggesting people use some loving anal vacuum

look at this loving goon who doesn't know the healing power of coffee enemas

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Dr Cheeto posted:

look at this loving goon who doesn't know the healing power of coffee enemas

smoke weed instead.

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

ArbitraryC posted:

But there's no real reason to own one in the first place though? Like I haven't seen a single compelling argument in favor of them that can't be replaced with something else. If you don't care about taste, instant is easier/faster. If you do care about taste, a preground pourover is single serving, takes roughly the same amount of time (less probably in the long run if you factor having to clean the keurig), and will still be better tasting. My parents have a keurig and I've had plenty experiences with using pourovers, it really isn't much of a difference at all in level of effort.

There seems to be some kind of thought that what comes out of a Keurig tastes like pure poo poo, which I don't buy. It was like the Lada/BMW comparison. There are things in the middle. If you're comparing instant coffee to a Keurig and saying that they're equal, that's just ridiculous.

And I didn't buy mine because everyone else has one, nor do I really care who has one. I'll bet every poster in this thread owns at least one article of clothing that cost them exponentially more than the manufacturing/material cost, which is most certainly more of a "show-off" type of deal. I'd find it pretty hard to crowbar the fact I own a Keurig into everyday conversation than I would showing off a visible article of clothing/jewelry. And again, who is actually impressed by a $90 coffee maker? There is a poster in AI who owns a Lamborghini. That's something people take note of (and he doesn't act like a dick about it, either).

Again, I think the more arrogant person is the one who talks about crafting a cup of coffee like they would defuse a bomb. May not cost them as much as much as a Keurig, but they're certainly more insufferable.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Two Piece posted:

gently caress you, Three Olives.

How do I sign up for this?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

loving hell you guys even have coffee machines in your offices? I hate this gay country, even the best offices here just have a kettle and a tub of instant Nescafe.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Its my bday soon and all I want is hear some goon opinions about chipotle.

What do goons think about chipotle?

Ancient Mariner
Jan 14, 2015

by Lowtax

BadLlama posted:

How do I sign up for this?

get in line bitch boy he's mine

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

ArbitraryC posted:

I'm not really a coffee snob but comparing kcups to instant coffee is dumb.

If you had actually used one you would know the coffee can be pretty decent.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

loving hell you guys even have coffee machines in your offices? I hate this gay country, even the best offices here just have a kettle and a tub of instant Nescafe.

i work on a lot of construction sites and they usually have coffee machines, sometimes nothing more than a 4-cup mrcoffee but still. i havent seen offices that don't have one. my bosses get mad if i make anything lower than 1 scoop:1cup ratio and it doesnt come out darker than a big tanzanian cock

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax
You are literally subhuman trash if you don't drink Folger's Crystals.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

crabcakes66 posted:

yep, their hot chocolate is crap tho

naem
May 29, 2011

I make a pot of coffee in my $5 mister coffee machine and put the leftover coffee in the pot in the fridge and have iced coffee the next day p good system

naem
May 29, 2011

I'm also really stoked for the garbage powered fusion reactor from back to the future, somebody get on the already

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Keurig thingers do make really bad coffee. I'm not picky but good lord. Some instant coffee is better.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Big Beef City posted:

I don't think you realize just HOW popular these things are. I'm stunned he only made 50k off this.

it's 50k plus royalities for every K-Cup sold.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

BigBoss posted:

You are literally subhuman trash if you don't drink Folger's Crystals.

Why..... you son of a BITCH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tg5aVzSDme4&t=36

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Nonsense posted:

just use this

Hard to clean and overbrews the coffee turning it really bitter -- there aren't many things that golden years Puerto Ricans get right and coffee making isn't one of them.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

crabcakes66 posted:

Just out of curiosity, how much instant coffee have you consumed in your life?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004
I have one of these things:

It produces excellent coffee, maybe even better than a bigger drip maker, and only wastes a piece of paper each time, which btw is a renewable and biodegradable resource.

Oh, and it was $20 and uses normal coffee, not stupid Keurig poo poo.

• Locked thread