Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I showed that marlins hat to my sister and she said "the only South Floridian who should be wearing that is Dorothy from the Golden Girls on her way to her bridge club"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
I'll probably break my don't wear any baseball gear except for Reds stuff rule to wear that dope rear end hat it's so dope.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Twenty years ago today, Michael Jordan grounded out against Darren Oliver to begin his baseball career in Spring Training. Here is a picture of him in bunting practice from that fateful March:

look at that smug bastard behind him

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
wish he had popped the bunt back into his stupid face

Crimson Sox
Jan 16, 2008

Bromance
Is it too early to start complaining about injuries, because Rusney Castillo has a strained oblique

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Everblight posted:

I showed that marlins hat to my sister and she said "the only South Floridian who should be wearing that is Dorothy from the Golden Girls on her way to her bridge club"

Dorothy wouldn't have been in a bridge club because she hated people

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Inspector_666 posted:

I mean, it's like wearing the Dinger Machine.

That really is the perfect description of that hat.

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

"Just a few more ligaments and this baby can shoot 90!"
Theory: The posters who do not approve of noted dope-rear end-hat are the same posters who can't enjoy a game without keeping score.

Awaiting confirmation.

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly

Third from the right, a young Dwight Schrute was taking in spring training baseball that year

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of dope rear end hats I recently picked up this bad boy.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/57/25/30/57253046e2899cafb2fff6932a52ab2c.jpg

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Crimson Sox posted:

Is it too early to start complaining about injuries, because Rusney Castillo has a strained oblique

Obliques are kind of a pain to heal so this is sort of important.

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

Oblique Strain: Expected recovery timetable - Between one game(s) and Brandon Morrow

Storm
Jun 7, 2001

Professional #8 Hitter/Beard Grower
tbh the bright orange Marlins hat is still the best hat ever

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

wanna meet that hat

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.
Speaking of potentially devisive weird hats, here's Mike Schmidt asleep in sun gear:

Tedd_Not_Ed fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Mar 4, 2015

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
A-Rod got a hit and drew a walk today. I'm happy for him :)

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

humpthewind posted:

How does it feel to be on base, motherfucker

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Tedd_Not_Ed posted:

Speaking of potentially devisive weird hats, here's Mike Schmidt asleep in sun gear:

Sun hats are good, you don't want to get skin cancer

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

I've decided that my fantasy A-Rod scenario is that he spends all of 2015 as the only contributing player on an otherwise disastrous Yankees squad, carrying the team singlehandedly to exactly one game short of the second wild card.

What's the most awesome mic-drop statement he could make at a post-season press conference were this the case?

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.

Dr. Tommy John posted:

I've decided that my fantasy A-Rod scenario is that he spends all of 2015 as the only contributing player on an otherwise disastrous Yankees squad, carrying the team singlehandedly to exactly one game short of the second wild card.

What's the most awesome mic-drop statement he could make at a post-season press conference were this the case?

"The Yankees will retire Rodriguez's 13 the year after he retires in a special ceremony on July 13th"

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

humpthewind posted:

I continue to be amazed at how honest and humble he's been in the lead-up to this season and it's making me feel very :shobon: about him as if he's a rookie or something.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

They might be the worst team in Baseball according to prognosticators, but they will be first in the girth column

quote:

The Arizona Diamondbacks will try to top the success of last year's 18-inch bacon- and cheese-stuffed corn dog by offering a dessert.

Team president and CEO Derrick Hall told ESPN.com on Tuesday that the team's star concession item this year will be a Churro Dog.

The Churro Dog is a warm cinnamon churro sitting inside a Long John chocolate-glazed donut, which is then topped with frozen yogurt, caramel and chocolate sauces. Its estimated calorie count is 1,117.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

My teeth hurt now.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Good job using frozen yogurt instead of ice cream though. Gritty choice.

Edit - god drat. MLB games are pretty much just state fairs with statistics thrown in.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Harlock posted:

They might be the worst team in Baseball according to prognosticators, but they will be first in the girth column

Normally I dont bite on these gimmick food things, but I'd loving eat that in a goddamn second.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Mike Minor scratched from his start with shoulder tightness

:rip:

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
I'd eat it if it were a maple bar but I'll draw the line at a chocolate bar. I'd hate myself, but I'd eat that drat thing.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

lol

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/mets/post/_/id/98069/anti-mets-ownership-billboard-rises?utm_source

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.
N:Speaking of things that need to leave, the "Name the Team Contest" for Hartford's Eastern League club has been narrowed down to the final 10 contestants.

One of them is the "Hartford Honey Badgers."

V: gently caress the Honey Badgers. GO YARD GOATS!

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Nothing says central Connecticut like an African rodent.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Is replacing chop shops with a mall really their worst crime?

On a scale of 1 to Frank McCourt, how bad are they?

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Craptacular! posted:

Is replacing chop shops with a mall really their worst crime?

On a scale of 1 to Frank McCourt, how bad are they?

Well, the whole being complicit in a ponzi scheme and draining the MLB team to prop up their other business/personal lifestyle probably is worse...but yeah thats a weird thing to single out.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Wilpons are almost certainly worse than McCourt was. McCourt had the misfortune of not being Selig's buddy.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

davecrazy posted:

draining the MLB team to prop up their other business/personal lifestyle
Okay, so basically McCourt on this count.

bawfuls posted:

The Wilpons are almost certainly worse than McCourt was. McCourt had the misfortune of not being Selig's buddy.
The conspiracy I always read was that McCourt was favored by Selig, even though he really didn't have any assets to work with, precisely because that would prevent salary inflation and keep the team from being a big market money powerhouse like it presently is.

But it also might have been unhappy Dodgers fans who wanted to see a bigger budget and blamed the past ownership transfer.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Harlock posted:

This actually looks appetizing and probably tastes good, unlike some of that poo poo that exists seemingly just to pay the hedonistic gluttony tax.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Weren't the Dodgers being carved up on paper with like the ticketing and parking being split off into their own separate legal entities as part of McCourts financial shell game? I think there was a real fear that in the process of the divorce the former Mrs. McCourt could wind up with control of the Dodgers parking lots or something like that.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

davecrazy posted:

Weren't the Dodgers being carved up on paper with like the ticketing and parking being split off into their own separate legal entities as part of McCourts financial shell game? I think there was a real fear that in the process of the divorce the former Mrs. McCourt could wind up with control of the Dodgers parking lots or something like that.
Yes, it was absurd.

An example of the bullshit web of cash flow between all these entities:

http://itsaboutthemoney.net/archives/2011/06/21/commissioner-selig-frank-mccourt-must-go-a-petition/ posted:

If you follow a different branch of the enterprise tree, you’ll find Blue LandCo, the company that owns the Dodger Stadium parking lots. Blue LandCo owns these parking lots because McCourt caused the Dodgers to give these parking lots to Blue LandCo. The Dodgers got nothing for this give-away, but they now pay anywhere from $6 million to $9 million a year in rent for these parking lots. With this rental stream as security, McCourt was able to borrow somewhere between $60 million and $70 million through Blue LandCo, most of which went to “fund the lifestyle” of the McCourts.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Mar 5, 2015

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

It begins...

Namirsolo
Jan 20, 2009

Like that, babe?

Paul Zuvella posted:

Normally I dont bite on these gimmick food things, but I'd loving eat that in a goddamn second.

I was thinking that until I noticed it's frozen yogurt. That's just not going to taste right with the rest of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Born Approx.
Oct 30, 2011
McCourt still has 50% ownership in the parking lots too lol

• Locked thread