Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ferguson and St. Louis are merely symptoms of larger problems regarding the American police force and justice system. Cleaning up Ferguson doesn't clean up St. Louis. Cleaning up St. Louis involves essentially replacing large chunks of the government, and still doesn't solve any of the other cities that pull the same bullshit. NYC is still going strong and is even trying to get itself an "anti-terrorist" (really anti-protester) force with armored trucks and mounted machine guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

...because their conviction was overturned due to misconduct by the USA?

I mean unless you think the prosecutor intentionally sabotaged his career by throwing this case?

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

What is an occupancy permit?

Do they have to tell the city who lives at their house in Ferguson?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

DoJ is angry who cares, he got away with what matters, and that's ending the life of a black man, to the cheers and wingnut welfare of millions.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Well Chris Matthews (amongst many Liberals I'm sure) is pissed how Netanyahu tried to takeover US foreign policy.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Grouchio posted:

Well Chris Matthews (amongst many Liberals I'm sure) is pissed how Netanyahu tried to takeover US foreign policy.
Wow, this really is filtering into the mainstream now.

Congratulations Bibi, you will go down in history as the guy who destroyed the bipartisan US support for Israel.:bravo:

Not that I mind.:getin:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Deadulus posted:

I found a little info on residential occupancy permits from their website. However, I can't find a copy of the permit itself. It does say that an inspection is required in case of a change in occupancy and/or ownership, so they may consider someone not on the permit living in the house to be a violation. Of course the cops wouldn't give a poo poo because they're Ferguson cops, and could just say "Welp, I think the boyfriend is living here" and arrest the person.

They don't give a poo poo about convictions, because that's not the point of competing to see who can get the most citations and arrests. The purpose is to keep everyone rolling in cash by piling on fines and fees (and preying on the poor who will suffer "I can't pay the fine" fines that roll over in a constant feedback loop) and to keep the populace downtrodden and under their thumb through frivolous arrests.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

I found a little info on residential occupancy permits from their website. However, I can't find a copy of the permit itself. It does say that an inspection is required in case of a change in occupancy and/or ownership, so they may consider someone not on the permit living in the house to be a violation. Of course the cops wouldn't give a poo poo because they're Ferguson cops, and could just say "Welp, I think the boyfriend is living here" and arrest the person.

They don't give a poo poo about convictions, because that's not the point of competing to see who can get the most citations and arrests. The purpose is to keep everyone rolling in cash by piling on fines and fees (and preying on the poor who will suffer "I can't pay the fine" fines that roll over in a constant feedback loop) and to keep the populace downtrodden and under their thumb through frivolous arrests.

I am afraid none of this will be ended because the DoJ and American politics due to far right idiocy has dissuaded the DoJ and Holder from taking over the department due to the current Republicans legal reasoning of UNCONSTITUTIONAL WHILE BLACK!

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Larry Klayman vows to make the Hillary e-mail scandal a thing which will dog her for months.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
He has a terrifying resume, that's for sure.

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!

Deadulus posted:

According to the report, they have a permit to rent the place.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Deadulus posted:

Its just strange that posting on a newspaper website is enough to overturn a cop's conviction, but non-cops get jury pools with "I heart your victims" wristbands.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Will he fool Warrens acolytes into getting her to challenge Hillary?

I'm already wanting Bernie to sit this out if he's just gonna be commie Jim Webb.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

JT Jag posted:

He has a terrifying resume, that's for sure.

Sounds like a rad dude.

quote:

Following Klayman's behavior in a 1992 trial in California federal court, Judge William Keller barred Klayman from his courtroom for life; five years later, in a separate case in New York, Klayman's behavior led then district judge Denny Chin to issue a lifetime ban on the attorney practicing law before him.[34]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Klayman

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

...because their conviction was overturned due to misconduct by the USA?

I mean unless you think the prosecutor intentionally sabotaged his career by throwing this case?

Also, they weren't found not guilty, they had a retrial ordered which is still ongoing.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.
Obligatory reminder that that's a photo of a guy throwing a tear gas canister back so that it doesn't hurt children.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Guilty Spork posted:

Obligatory reminder that that's a photo of a guy throwing a tear gas canister back so that it doesn't hurt children.

No he's destroying property his betters spent all their lives building, didn't you read the rest of the Internet during the event?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

jesus, this guy sued his own mother. also poo poo like this ( http://www.freedomwatchusa.org/biden-and-panetta-sued-by-navy-seal-team-vi-and-special-ops ) enrages me to know end. Basicaly, he is using dead soldiers families grief to sue the Obama administration. sure it will never see light in courtroom but he will get to play hero for his shithead tea party friends.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Another item from the 114th Congress Bingo Card: The White House has issued a veto threat against a bill that would prohibit the EPA from using "secret science" in its rule making (i.e. scientific studies with confidential patient information withheld for privacy reasons). The new bill also limits EPA funding for making such information public to $1 million per year, effectively forcing the EPA to halve the number of studies it performs per year.

A related bill which would loosen regulations on industry scientists serving on EPA advisory boards while restricting academic scientists from using unpublished science on the same and mandating such boards respond to all public comments (regardless of quantity or quality) has also been issued a veto threat.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Republican leaders just can't help loving up the opposition to the US-Iran negotiations. First Boehner invites Bibi to give a speech without telling the White House, turning that into a partisan issue, now Mitch McConnell is bringing the Menendez-Corker bill that would require any US-Iran deal to be reviewed and approved by Congress. The bill had been introduced in the Foreign Relations committee last week with Menendez and five other Democrats supporting it, enough to get cloture when it got to the floor, and was going through markup, the process where the committee reviews and amends the bill.

Then Mitch decided that wasn't quick enough and that it needed to be voted on first thing next week, so he pulled it from the committee and started the floor process yesterday. Menendez freaked out about this and he, along with all the other Democratic supporters are now pledging to vote against it. Corker has said he now expects the cloture vote to fail.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Another item from the 114th Congress Bingo Card: The White House has issued a veto threat against a bill that would prohibit the EPA from using "secret science" in its rule making (i.e. scientific studies with confidential patient information withheld for privacy reasons). The new bill also limits EPA funding for making such information public to $1 million per year, effectively forcing the EPA to halve the number of studies it performs per year.

A related bill which would loosen regulations on industry scientists serving on EPA advisory boards while restricting academic scientists from using unpublished science on the same and mandating such boards respond to all public comments (regardless of quantity or quality) has also been issued a veto threat.

This is the hill they'll win on.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Nonsense posted:

This is the hill they'll win on.
You think they'll get enough votes to override vetoes on both?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

site posted:

You think they'll get enough votes to override vetoes on both?

Conservatives rightly noted how close the vote was on this veto-override. They'll win on the EPA, it's bad for business, hurting it is good for business.

The Iran-Deal is hosed up of them though, they'll lose on that.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nonsense posted:

Conservatives rightly noted how close the vote was on this veto-override. They'll win on the EPA, it's bad for business, hurting it is good for business.

The Iran-Deal is hosed up of them though, they'll lose on that.

The EPA thing is too extreme, pharmaceutical companies should be freaking out about republicans loving with patient privacy in federal research.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
http://www.aljazeera.com/news/southasia/2015/03/ambassador-attacked-south-korea-150304232100655.html

Ambassador Mark Lippert was attacked in South Korea.

The attacker previously attacked the Japanese Ambassador in 2010

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/southasia/2015/03/ambassador-attacked-south-korea-150304232100655.html

Ambassador Mark Lippert was attacked in South Korea.

The attacker previously attacked the Japanese Ambassador in 2010

Luckily SK prison is accommodating and comfortable, and the nation has underutilized capital punishment, get to work.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
I was pretty dismissive of the Hilary email thing at first but how much power does the Benghazi panel have to access that email account now? The crossroads of a personal/professional email and a witch hunt congressional investigation could be a seriously big deal.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Good Citizen posted:

I was pretty dismissive of the Hilary email thing at first but how much power does the Benghazi panel have to access that email account now? The crossroads of a personal/professional email and a witch hunt congressional investigation could be a seriously big deal.

Prediction: she will comply with the subpoena by sending a printed stack of all the emails referencing Benghazi to the panel, which will be a sub-set of the emails she's already provided to the government for review.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Von Sloneker posted:

I dipped into a Hot Air comments section to see what the consensus is. There are three reactions:
1) It's Holder's DOJ thus lies.
2) Black people are criminals naturally.
3) A deliberate misreading: "The population heavily skews African American, of course they will comprise most of the arrests!"

I can't help but note there isn't a lot of conservative commentary yet, at least not on the "professional" level, meaning outside of comments sections. This I suppose is that buffer of time during which they get their talking points aligned.

e:

:ohdear:

Hot Air really doesn't get enough play here. The comments section is a marvelous mess of Freepy folks and the actual editorial content is a mix of Freep/Shills/Insanity. It also seems to be doing okay in terms of readership, not hugely, but enough to be somewhat relevant.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

Prediction: she will comply with the subpoena by sending a printed stack of all the emails referencing Benghazi to the panel, which will be a sub-set of the emails she's already provided to the government for review.

Looks like its time for a House Special Committee on Archival Records and Transparency

e:

Man, it feels like its 1995 and its not even 2016 yet!

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

One of which will be a giant dick written in tiny little Benghazis.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Reading articles about the DOJ's decision about the Ferguson police, I can't figure out concretely what the crucial "or what" part of their instructions for improvements is.

I learned early on as a teacher that without an "or what", instructions, advice and rules are all meaningless. One article even says "Eric Holder calls on..." which I understand as code for there not being an "or what".

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

A lawsuit, perhaps? I know that places like Las Vegas has received this sort of same report, and enacted DOJ's recommendations. There has to be an incentive there.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Shageletic posted:

A lawsuit, perhaps? I know that places like Las Vegas has received this sort of same report, and enacted DOJ's recommendations. There has to be an incentive there.
A lawsuit against individuals or against the organization, so individuals can walk away and join other police departments with no problem?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

Reading articles about the DOJ's decision about the Ferguson police, I can't figure out concretely what the crucial "or what" part of their instructions for improvements is.

I learned early on as a teacher that without an "or what", instructions, advice and rules are all meaningless. One article even says "Eric Holder calls on..." which I understand as code for there not being an "or what".

A consent decree is usually the most the DoJ can pull off.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Trabisnikof posted:

A consent decree is usually the most the DoJ can pull off.
Looking up "consent decree", it means the police would not have to admit they did wrong? What is THIS poo poo?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

Looking up "consent decree", it means the police would not have to admit they did wrong? What is THIS poo poo?

Getting them to admit they did something wrong is no where near as important as getting policy changed.

quote:

The 1994 Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act, passed following the savage 1991 beating of African American motorist Rodney King by four LAPD officers and the catastrophic Los Angeles Riots a year later, gave the Civil Rights Division of the U.S. Department of Justice an extraordinary mandate.

One of the law’s provisions empowered the government to sue police agencies anywhere in the country if they exhibited a “pattern and practice” of using excessive force and/or violating people’s civil rights—and compel them, under what’s known as a “consent decree,” to change those practices.

Since the law came into effect 20 years ago, two things have become apparent: how resistant many police departments remain to fundamental reform; and how critical, therefore, the consent decree has been—first, in forcing police departments to jettison their often brutal racist, and unaccountable warrior-cop cultures; and second, in transforming them into organizations committed to policing constitutionally and with legitimacy among the populations they serve.

Currently about 20 cities have entered into consent decrees or “memos of understanding” with the Department of Justice (DOJ), usually under threat of civil rights lawsuits filed by the DOJ if they refused.

The departments and police agencies vary widely: they have included Pittsburgh, Los Angeles, Cincinnati, Oakland, New Orleans, Portland, Oregon, Cleveland, New York City, Detroit, the New Jersey State Police, the Virgin Islands PD, and, most recently, departments in Seattle, Albuquerque, NM and Newark, NJ.

(http://www.thecrimereport.org/news/articles/2014-07-police-reforms-best-tool-a-federal-consent-decree)

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Ah okay, so Ferguson will just be joining into an agreement with the DOJ that has benefitted (though I doubt they look at it that way) many other police departments before? I guess that's good.

edit: does this only have to happen after bloody disasters though? Is there any way it can prevent them instead?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Mar 5, 2015

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

Ah okay, so Ferguson will just be joining into an agreement with the DOJ that has benefitted (though I doubt they look at it that way) many other police departments before? I guess that's good.

Its either that or the DoJ sue to try and force FPD to accept the consent decree (Or do nothing).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
The fact the the doj would have to sue them is disgusting.

• Locked thread