Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

Neige posted:

*disparaging remarks about frog*

One of the ways Chrono Trigger seriously holds up as an rpg is balance. What this dude says is not really wrong; Frog on average is one of the weaker party members in terms of overall game mechanics. But because CT's dev team put serious thought into the dynamics of the party, this doesn't really matter because a) he still gets some handy moves and useful dual-techs, so even if he's not the optimal scientifically best party member to use he's still contributing and b) there are absolutely portions of the game he's undeniably the best PC mechanically. Of course that's a conversation to have in more depth much later when we've actually seen more PCs and how the game works in terms of enemy design and boss fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Dooky Dingo posted:

Yeah, Frog's theme is cool and all, but only ONE song from this OST is awesome enough to be sampled for a rap song without due credit.
I can't post it yet because of spoilers, but it is objectively the best. :colbert:

If you're talking about the rapper I'm thinking of, they sampled not one, but TWO songs from this OST.

Also: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lEelz0iUJo

Also, I can't wait for us to time travel to Xenogears

Sally fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Mar 4, 2015

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
Why is it that people feel so compelled to post spoilers in a no spoilers thread?

E: it seems i misconstrued the comment above as an actual spoiler rather than a joke spoiler due to the tags. My memory of CT is a bit fuzzy, sorry!

Kalenn Istarion fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Mar 4, 2015

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Why is it that people feel so compelled to post spoilers in a no spoilers thread?

Because goons are terrible.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Good point, removed the spoiler tags.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Er, when we did the first vote, I was thinking that we also voted Default Name for ALL characters, just just Marl and Lucca... Ah well.

Frog is my vote!

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
I hope default names win until out of nowhere we end up with a character named Larry or something.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Oh, before I forget, I should set a time limit for this voting. I forget to do that; I'm used to updating daily and just letting voting end whenever I feel like it.

For this voting, how about...8:00 PM, Thursday? Then when I get home from work on Friday, if I'm not too pooped, I'll write an update.

I've got something special (I hope) for the boss fight. Well, it'll either be special or "special" in that :downs: sort of way.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Frog

A really nice touch that you can kinda see in the screenshots, but hasn't been explicitly pointed out/gif'd yet is how Frog hops when he moves, instead of walking like the other two.

ShallowKnave posted:

Frog is fine. In the original SNES translation, I always took his verbal tick as a sign that he's trying really, really hard to live up to the vision of what a true and noble knight should be. How else are people supposed to take a little frog-dude seriously as the Queen's Protector?

Well, one way would be to prevent the queen from being kidnapped by cathedral dwelling snakes, just saying. :colbert:

Back when I played the SNES version, also I thought he was trying super hard to live up to how he thought a knight should act and talk.

I stole this point from the Coughing Hobo LP on the archives, but it's most definitely important enough that it must be brought up here as well. It is a crime against humanity that SA doesn't have a Frog version of :frogout: someone with talent really needs to address this glaring oversight.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

counterfeitsaint posted:

A really nice touch that you can kinda see in the screenshots, but hasn't been explicitly pointed out/gif'd yet is how Frog hops when he moves, instead of walking like the other two.

Well, one way would be to prevent the queen from being kidnapped by cathedral dwelling snakes, just saying. :colbert:

He can walk but when running he hops.

Also to provide a counterpoint: If Chrono and Lucca weren't here, he'd being doing this solo. I don't see him having any problems at all with this.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Yeah, but a good bodyguard would have prevented the kidnapping in the first place, rather than getting all ManFrog on Fire and cleaning up the mess after the fact. I suppose that would have made for a much duller video game though.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Nice to see you got mods removing spoilers for you. :allears:

Also, why are your pics so blurry? The text in the boxes seems so messy. Is that a result of playing on the DS? Caulk that up as another reason to skip it.

Also, name Frog *SPOILERS REMOVED*

EDIT: Name him Billy Ray ______ (What the blank is :ssh:)

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Also, why are your pics so blurry? The text in the boxes seems so messy. Is that a result of playing on the DS? Caulk that up as another reason to skip it.

Actually, my pics are blurry because I was using the wrong resize option in AvsPmod. I figured it out (i.e., Explosionface told me what to do), and my shots should be much better looking now.

Quovak
Feb 2, 2009

See, the problem with online communication is that you can't feel my beard through the HTML.

counterfeitsaint posted:

It is a crime against humanity that SA doesn't have a Frog version of :frogout: someone with talent really needs to address this glaring oversight.

Asclepius made this one during my LP:

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe

counterfeitsaint posted:

I stole this point from the Coughing Hobo LP on the archives, but it's most definitely important enough that it must be brought up here as well. It is a crime against humanity that SA doesn't have a Frog version of :frogout: someone with talent really needs to address this glaring oversight.

If this thread continues the tradition of Leave being SA's money printing machine, then you certainly have a chance of getting your wish.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Leavemywife posted:

Actually, my pics are blurry because I was using the wrong resize option in AvsPmod. I figured it out (i.e., Explosionface told me what to do), and my shots should be much better looking now.

I just noticed. :doh: That's what I get for deciding to post while still catching up.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

If this thread continues the tradition of Leave being SA's money printing machine, then you certainly have a chance of getting your wish.

I'm still waiting for my check to show up in the mail

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Explosionface posted:

I'm still waiting for my check to show up in the mail

I had your checks converted to Bitcoins and put into your account.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

Leavemywife posted:

I had your checks converted to Bitcoins and put into your account.

Well, poo poo.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Fun Shoe

Quovak posted:

Asclepius made this one during my LP:

10 pixels too tall.

Just saying...

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

10 pixels too tall.

Just saying...

Both and :frogout: are 100x25.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

AzraelNewtype posted:

Both and :frogout: are 100x25.

It requires extraordinary powers to make a smilie that's larger than 90 x 25.

On that note:

"please leave" wouldn't fit anymore

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

I know it won't win, but I still like both this suggestion and "Frogge" from a couple of pages ago.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Explosionface posted:

On that note:

It starts.

:allears:

Magic Fanatic
Oct 28, 2008
You know, I'm fairly tempted.

On one hand, I want to vote for leaving Frog's name as-is, as that's how the game introduces him - a common frog.

On the other hand, I want to suggest naming him Leave to commemorate Yang in his FF4 LP.

Decisions, decisions...

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Explosionface posted:

It requires extraordinary powers to make a smilie that's larger than 90 x 25.

On that note:

"please leave" wouldn't fit anymore

That's width not height :mad:

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!

AzraelNewtype posted:

Story of my life, right? HEYOOO! :shepicide:

Alternative joke: I hear that's what all the lady goons are looking for these days... :awesome:

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

AzraelNewtype posted:

I know, the other guy said the wrong thing. I always verify dimensions through the buy stuff pages first.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Fun Shoe

Explosionface posted:

I know, the other guy said the wrong thing. I always verify dimensions through the buy stuff pages first.

Yeah, sorry. I meant too long, not too tall. You fixed it anyway, so...

:frogleave:

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

Given his "Ye Olde Ænglish" lines in the original translation, I think having him say "Be Gone!" would've been more appropriate. Love it nonetheless though.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

AND SO IT BEGINS...

:krakentoot::ducksiren::sugartits:

fake edit: You know, on the other hand, maybe Frog is talking directly to the LP'er...
~*:frogleave:-sempai NOTICED me! Uguu...*~

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
God drat this is a proper evil overlord lair. Even the secret passages have secret passages.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

Luhood posted:

Given his "Ye Olde Ænglish" lines in the original translation, I think having him say "Be Gone!" would've been more appropriate. Love it nonetheless though.

I didn't think of that one. I was going to try to use the older usage of quit along the same thought process, but the modern meaning would have gotten in the way.

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

Fantastic.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Oh hey, we have a FROG! Leave smiley now. We should have an ATLUS! Bye-Whore smiley by the end of the month as well. Thank you off handed comments. So based.

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.

Magic Fanatic posted:

You know, I'm fairly tempted.

On one hand, I want to vote for leaving Frog's name as-is, as that's how the game introduces him - a common frog.

On the other hand, I want to suggest naming him Leave to commemorate Yang in his FF4 LP.

Decisions, decisions...

I now support Leave as an alternative if Bowser is doomed to fail after reading this.

Waterguy
Aug 14, 2012
Well, with just a look at the votes we are already doomed to Frog anyway...

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Now, I didn't count the votes or anything (I'm hoping I have people to do that for me), but I'm fairly certain Frog will remain Frog.

Expect an update tomorrow or Saturday.

JesseHechtCREATIVE
Feb 20, 2013

​ Creative New Content Weekly

Cuisine
Reviews
Entertainment
Animation
Toys
Images
Videogames
Everything!
Used to play this game so much when I was younger. Count me in for Frog. It's just too classic of a name. Looking forward to the next video.

Btw, I've never used Frog much, either. And we haven't even met 2/3 of my favorite party yet. Can't wait for more.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Explosionface posted:

On that note:

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Leavemywife posted:

Now, I didn't count the votes or anything (I'm hoping I have people to do that for me), but I'm fairly certain Frog will remain Frog.

Expect an update tomorrow or Saturday.

I just counted the votes for you. There's 19 votes for Frog, and 20 votes for DONGS.

• Locked thread