Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I liked the idea of calling him Badass, because he sure lives up to that name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

EponymousMrYar posted:

There is nothing aside from anything you the player may gain from it. CT has too many other things stuffed into a SNES cartridge to be that progressive.

Also Frog here is probably the biggest change of the retranslation. Compare:

"Lower your guard, and you allow the enemy in!"
"Lower thine guard and thou'rt allowing the enemy in."

Originally he spoke super medieval-style the thine thou etc. Which is kinda weird since no one else did.
On one hand he now comes across a lot clearer and rather than be arbitrarily Medieval all the time, he instead matches the rest of the Middle Ages group in the way he talks. It's subtle.
On the other hand, his overuse of thou and larger words gave him a lot of memorable character. Then again considering what this badass does in the course of the game he's still got plenty of that going around.

Yeah, from just that change I'd assume that he was supposed to be the more stuck-up hardass of a soldier- or whatever he is to be a frog person with a sword and the change was just for clarity. :v:- Like the equivalent of that Irish guy who actually does say 'Top o' the mornin' to ya'

GrimRevenant
Mar 28, 2011

Je Reviendrai.

Silegna posted:

Also, off topic, is there a way to NOT make it autoscroll up to the screenshots as they load in? I always hit jump to first unread post, and it ends up scrolling all the way back up to Screenshots.
SALR has a “Reanchor thread to targeted post after all images have loaded” option which does what you want. :)

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!

Leavemywife posted:

it is, bar none, my favorite song in all of video gaming. All of you reading this know how terrible I am at remembering music and remembering to post the proper links, and Frog's Theme is what I was waiting for; it's the only reason I remembered the other music links in this update.

Yeah, Frog's theme is cool and all, but only ONE song from this OST is awesome enough to be sampled for a rap song without due credit.
I can't post it yet because of spoilers, but it is objectively the best. :colbert:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Dooky Dingo posted:

Yeah, Frog's theme is cool and all, but only ONE song from this OST is awesome enough to be sampled for a rap song without due credit.
I can't post it yet because of spoilers, but it is objectively the best. :colbert:

Another song's melody was so good that it was created independently in another country.

I'll point it out when we get there.

Saucy Zebra
Oct 8, 2012
Toad.

Avskum
Jul 27, 2009

:smugfrog:

Dooky Dingo posted:

How did I miss this? Could you pm me the name of the song?

Also Frog

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Foolish Chrono! I am the great Leon!

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
We're just talkin' ' bout Frog Shaft!

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

ddegenha posted:

We're just talkin' ' bout Frog Shaft!

Changing my vote to this.

e. even back in the SNES days, I always heard him with a smooth, deep kind of voice that was at complete odds with his appearance.

Mazed fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 4, 2015

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.
This is where I wanna suggest Bowser for the name. He doesn't care what you call him so no need to feel bad about altering the names here, and as Leave has kindly stated, Frog is a total badass. Much like Bowser himself, heck even much like Kain. I can't think of a more fitting character for the Bowser title.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Dooky Dingo posted:

Actually, weren't two different songs sampled by the same rapper?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Dooky Dingo posted:

Get the gently caress out.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Leavemywife posted:

Frog's theme is my second favorite song in the game. We won't be hearing my favorite for a while yet.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Good news, everyone! I managed to get Leave straightened out, so the screenshots should be much better from here on in. :krakentoot:

Feel free to dogpile and tell him how terrible he is if he posts any more blurry poo poo.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

EponymousMrYar posted:

There is nothing aside from anything you the player may gain from it. CT has too many other things stuffed into a SNES cartridge to be that progressive.

Also Frog here is probably the biggest change of the retranslation. Compare:

"Lower your guard, and you allow the enemy in!"
"Lower thine guard and thou'rt allowing the enemy in."

Originally he spoke super medieval-style the thine thou etc. Which is kinda weird since no one else did.
On one hand he now comes across a lot clearer and rather than be arbitrarily Medieval all the time, he instead matches the rest of the Middle Ages group in the way he talks. It's subtle.
On the other hand, his overuse of thou and larger words gave him a lot of memorable character. Then again considering what this badass does in the course of the game he's still got plenty of that going around.

Also while the detail on the sprites is great, when I was younger I thought his 'Macho Muscle' arm victory pose was him pulling out a duck from nowhere. The arm bulge makes the body, his glove trim the bill and the curled fist makes the head and eyes.
I still see that duck occasionally despite knowing he's just macho-muscling it up.
I actually like both of Sir Froggin's versions in SNES and DS. Like you said he really stands out with his medieval faux-Shakespearean banter, but to the same effect it's really odd nobody ELSE does it.
Then again he still sounds noble and dignified in the DS version, and is still a badass in his own right that speaks more formally than the rest of Crono's friends but also loses some of what made him out as this great Arthurian knight of ancient yore. Really surprised there's not as much making GBS threads about either as I expected to hear. My personal preference is the SNES one but I am perfectly chill with the DS translation too.

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Mar 4, 2015

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!

Avskum posted:

How did I miss this? Could you pm me the name of the song?

I don't have PM's because I am horribleRESPONSIBLE with money.
Just add me on Steam or something. Same name.

Leavemywife posted:

You'd miss me too much. :smugbert:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Voting for however many letters of Greninja would fit. Gren, perhaps?

Alternatively, Bowser.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Leavemywife posted:

No call for that, it's a nice tune and all but I think you're exaggerating just a *clicks link*

Welp, time to go play the entire game over again. Name the green man Croaker if it will fit.

EDIT: I just got to that point, and no it doesn't. Use Crocus instead.

Rangpur fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Mar 4, 2015

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Rangpur posted:

No call for that, it's a nice tune and all but I think you're exaggerating just a *clicks link*

You'd be surprised at how often conversations between Dooky and I devolve into that.

ParanoidLogician
Jul 24, 2012

Where did the punster go when he was defeated? The "punitentiary"!

Man, how did I completely forget about this rad rear end fiend song about my favorite character? I actually feel bad about that honestly.

Also, Frog should be kept Frog.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

[[PLEASE NO SPOILERS!]]

Somebody fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Mar 4, 2015

rabiddeity
Jun 2, 2011

FinalGamer posted:

I actually like both of Sir Froggin's versions in SNES and DS. Like you said he really stands out with his medieval faux-Shakespearean banter, but to the same effect it's really odd nobody ELSE does it.
Then again he still sounds noble and dignified in the DS version, and is still a badass in his own right that speaks more formally than the rest of Crono's friends but also loses some of what made him out as this great Arthurian knight of ancient yore. Really surprised there's not as much making GBS threads about either as I expected to hear. My personal preference is the SNES one but I am perfectly chill with the DS translation too.

It's tough to translate, because in the original script he speaks like a samurai-- upper-class, flowery, archaic Japanese-- whereas the "peasants" speak pretty close to normal. The overwhelming subtext is something virtually every native speaker would pick up on as "this dude would lay down an epic poem about cherry blossoms while righteously kicking rear end." Someone else mentioned a deep, smooth, commanding voice; if this were an anime, that's exactly what you'd be hearing. Arthurian knight probably isn't too far off. Most translators, including Woolsey, pull dialogue like this into 16th century thees and thous (Cyan in the FF6 script talks the same way) but the nuance is something that doesn't really carry into English that well. I mean, everyone in the 1400s used thee and thou in normal speech, but peasants certainly didn't talk like educated nobility. The contrast is maybe a bit jarring in the original translation, which is probably why they toned it down for the DS. Tough call.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I vote for Kermit, because one day we'll find it, that rainbow connection...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSFLZ-MzIhM

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

rabiddeity posted:

It's tough to translate, because in the original script he speaks like a samurai-- upper-class, flowery, archaic Japanese-- whereas the "peasants" speak pretty close to normal. The overwhelming subtext is something virtually every native speaker would pick up on as "this dude would lay down an epic poem about cherry blossoms while righteously kicking rear end." Someone else mentioned a deep, smooth, commanding voice; if this were an anime, that's exactly what you'd be hearing. Arthurian knight probably isn't too far off. Most translators, including Woolsey, pull dialogue like this into 16th century thees and thous (Cyan in the FF6 script talks the same way) but the nuance is something that doesn't really carry into English that well. I mean, everyone in the 1400s used thee and thou in normal speech, but peasants certainly didn't talk like educated nobility. The contrast is maybe a bit jarring in the original translation, which is probably why they toned it down for the DS. Tough call.

The closest English has to that would be pronoun muckery in the use of the royal 'We.'
Of course Frog isn't royalty so they can't do that. Speaking very Formally and Properly is also really hard to do with just text (and a limited display field since word choice can help) but I do think they managed to pull it off with the retranslation.

While I do miss the Arthurian style of speech I think what was gained (clarity while maintaining the character) is better than what was lost (the Arthurian lines and dialogue.)

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

MonsieurChoc posted:

I vote for Kermit, because one day we'll find it, that rainbow connection...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSFLZ-MzIhM

I'm with this cool Mister Chocolate. Kermit.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
I'm voting for Bamf

Eh, I'm no good at comedy, think I'll gas my picture (it's probably stupid anyways)

mauman fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Mar 4, 2015

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
I vote Frog. Classic is classic.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Cyrus

Waterguy
Aug 14, 2012
Glenn
Because Chrono Cross

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
gently caress it, Kermit.

President of Space
Mar 30, 2012
Frog, because it just feels right.

I haven't played the DS version before, but I played the SNES version a bunch when it was first released (and, god help me, I even tried to play the PS1 version). I actually like what they've done with Frog here. Even though he's my favorite character, the thee/thou business always struck me as a bit much particularly because, as noted, absolutely nobody else in his time period or any other talks like that. It made him feel like someone frivolous, like he's an actor playing a knight in a play. He's no longer distinguished from everyone else because he arbitrarily speaks in an archaic version of the same language, instead he's defined a very direct, no-nonsense style coupled with some pretty advanced vocabulary. Now he sounds more like a knight instead of an actor playing a knight.

Besides, if you want someone to speak in overblown, poetic language there's another character later on who's personality is much better suited to it.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Well, this thread inspired me to pull out my old copy of the DS version and do some of the added content last night. Without spoiling anything... Eesh, I can see why people hated pretty much all of it. Best of luck to you when you get there, Leave.

Oh, and Frog.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Name the frog Frog.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Just to be contrarian: Toad

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Slippy

Neige
Mar 20, 2006

Pregnant Woman got pepper sprayed and kicked in the stomach? That ugly bitch was asking for it.
Sorry, never loved the frog. Weak healer paladin never saw much time in my party as long as I had Marle and some other damage dealer. He wasn't cool enough to be called Kermit. I called him Muppet

But I'll accept Toad as a back-up name.

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

Mallow Frog is fine, I'd go for a different name but spoilers.

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.
Hopping [Ha HA!] on the Frog bandwagon, because I love this game too much to idly sit by and permit joke names (other than SPOILER and Nadia).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShallowKnave
Sep 9, 2011
Fun Shoe
Frog is fine. In the original SNES translation, I always took his verbal tick as a sign that he's trying really, really hard to live up to the vision of what a true and noble knight should be. How else are people supposed to take a little frog-dude seriously as the Queen's Protector?

• Locked thread