Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

remember
Nov 23, 2006

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Maybe you have a really unusual use case, but why exactly can't you just pause the video yourself before launching or fullscreening the game?

I'm more asking for bathroom breaks and such so I don't have to alt tab. I thought maybe there was some shortcut I didn't know about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Maybe you have a really unusual use case, but why exactly can't you just pause the video yourself before launching or fullscreening the game?

I can see the use for this. When I was playing Star Wars:TOR, there were lots of times that I would be watching a video and half rear end playing the game but then quickly needed to change focus to the game so having a hotkey to pause the video would have been nice.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Medullah posted:

I can see the use for this. When I was playing Star Wars:TOR, there were lots of times that I would be watching a video and half rear end playing the game but then quickly needed to change focus to the game so having a hotkey to pause the video would have been nice.

A keyboard with media control keys can usually do that.

You can also try using Ctrl+Alt+Home for play/pause toggle, though you'll need to test that with your particular game and media player. You may need plugins to add that global hotkey support to it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

That should be pretty easy to set up with AutoIT if you have any bit of technical ability at all.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
For anyone who kept using utorrent after it went to poo poo with all the ads and stuff, they hid an autorunning bitcoin miner in the latest update. Enjoy your burnt out video card!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Whizbang posted:

For anyone who kept using utorrent after it went to poo poo with all the ads and stuff, they hid an autorunning bitcoin miner in the latest update. Enjoy your burnt out video card!

It's a litecoin miner (so worth even less) and uses your CPU only (which again means it accomplishes even less despite still wasting your power),

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Nintendo Kid posted:

A keyboard with media control keys can usually do that.

You can also try using Ctrl+Alt+Home for play/pause toggle, though you'll need to test that with your particular game and media player. You may need plugins to add that global hotkey support to it.
Unfortunately it depends on what you're using to play videos - my media keys will control Windows Media Player inside a game but the vastly superior VLC doesn't give a poo poo about them unless it has focus.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Ghostlight posted:

Unfortunately it depends on what you're using to play videos - my media keys will control Windows Media Player inside a game but the vastly superior VLC doesn't give a poo poo about them unless it has focus.
https://wiki.videolan.org/How_to_set_global_hotkeys/

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Whizbang posted:

I still use uTorrent, I just stopped updating it a long time ago.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Inspector_666 posted:

I still use uTorrent, I just stopped updating it a long time ago.

Same here, mine says copyright 2013 in the about window.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

m2pt5 posted:

Same here, mine says copyright 2013 in the about window.

poo poo that's like brand new compared to my 2010 version I'm still using. :D

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Transmission-qt for Windows exists.

If not having RSS support would ruin your life, qBittorrent exists.

At some point uTorrent is going to get exploited and you won't be able to safely use an old version. Best to adjust to something else before you have to.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It's a torrent client, not a new car.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

wangvicous posted:

I'm more asking for bathroom breaks and such so I don't have to alt tab. I thought maybe there was some shortcut I didn't know about.

I see. The way you phrased it before, into gut you wanted a video to autopause when you changed a game to full-screen.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Alright, I figured now's as good a time as any to replace my ancient version of uTorrent with something current but I'm struggling to find something that gives me what I want.
qBittorrent does not have a built in scheduler or an obvious plugin/extension as far as I can tell, otherwise it's good.
Transmission-Qt also lacks a scheduler.
Deluge, scheduler works well, otherwise has all the features I'm after... But version 1.3.11 is crashing every couple of hours however which is not really suitable for 24/7 operation.

Are there any other good options other than reinstalling uTorrent 2.2 ?

The catch: I'm running it on Windows Server 2008 (32-bit) :v:

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
I like Tixati.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

VodeAndreas posted:

Alright, I figured now's as good a time as any to replace my ancient version of uTorrent with something current but I'm struggling to find something that gives me what I want.
qBittorrent does not have a built in scheduler or an obvious plugin/extension as far as I can tell, otherwise it's good.
Transmission-Qt also lacks a scheduler.
Deluge, scheduler works well, otherwise has all the features I'm after... But version 1.3.11 is crashing every couple of hours however which is not really suitable for 24/7 operation.

Are there any other good options other than reinstalling uTorrent 2.2 ?

The catch: I'm running it on Windows Server 2008 (32-bit) :v:

uTorrent 3.3.2 works great if you disable updates, and turn off the ad thing.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Nintendo Kid posted:

uTorrent 3.3.2 works great if you disable updates, and turn off the ad thing.
Same for 3.4.2, but there's a version in between that doesn't allow you to disable the ads. Possibly 3.4.0.

When installing, have your network connection disabled, because it will update before you've got the chance to uncheck that option otherwise.

After that, turn it into a portable install so you can easily move it over to a new computer if ever so desired.

I don't need the scheduler myself, so I'll probably try to something else at some point soon.

Implied Consent
Jul 6, 2006
I'm using uTorrent 3.4.1 (Build 31139) and I have it configured exactly how I want it (Well, I'd remove the twitter and facebook icons from the status bar, but that's it.). It might be the last build without forced bullshit.

I've tried other clients but they all seem like weird Linux ports (because they are).

edit: Whenever I have to install it on a new machine I just copy my "%appdata%\uTorrent" directory across first. All the setting are there and you don't have to then spend ages disabling crap.

Implied Consent fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Mar 8, 2015

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I setup utorrent to run as a service ( http://jack.ukleja.com/utorrent-service-windows-home-server-2011/ ) and then turned on the web front end, works like a charm. Disabled updates long, long ago.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I set up Deluge on the media server I made out of an old netbook. I can connect to it through deluge installed on my desktop if I need to check anything.. Deluge uses YaRSS2 to find what I want and it downloads it through VPN and then adds it to my unwatched folder and my DLNA server automatically picks it up. Really cool that it all works.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Thanks, I might give 3.4.1 or 3.4.2 a try.

Implied Consent
Jul 6, 2006
Watch for build numbers, they were releasing (still are?) new builds almost every day with the same version number.

That's why I originally disabled automatic updates, they were getting loving annoying.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'm on version 1.6 :v:

Which was the last one that ran from a stand-alone executable? Because it's not even this one but I clearly remember it working that way at one point.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Out of curiosity: are there any modern Webkit browsers for Windows?

Before you respond, keep in mind that:
- Chrome uses Blink, which while a proper fork is receding from Webkit by the day (and we don't even need to get into Google's opinion of Windows), and Chromium's about as different from Chrome as AOSP is from Nexus Android and in most of the same ways (more software freedom but less utility).
- Maxthon is half-Blink, half-Trident (!) and all-dodgy.
- Midori can't be called modern because it has neither hardware acceleration nor much in the way of exception handling. ... Maybe it does on Linux/OS X/toasters, but not on Windows.
- I guess maybe Steam, but A) you need a Steam account full-stop just to get to it (dear Lord do I have one but it's not a safe default assumption) and B) the lack of extensibility, limited access to updates (since it's all about Valve's storefront and community, even if you can get to the general Internet as easily as any other browser) and Valve's legendary magpie-focus mean that even if it was available account-free it'd be not-great and arguably not even modern (even Microsoft's sick of not having extensions in IE).

I'm seriously having trouble finding any others that haven't been abandoned for years plural, which is an Age in Internet terms.

I have no actual complaints about Firefox (maybe incomplete Media Source support), but Gecko isn't Webkit and thus doesn't qualify for the exercise, and no Webkit on a saturation-adoption-rate platform* is borderline absurd.

*This is the only reason Google has more than incidental involvement with Windows. ... I never said we couldn't bring up Google's opinion of Windows.

v v v As long as I've been on the Internet I should have caught that one, but yeah. :rip:

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Mar 9, 2015

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Before you respond, keep in mind that:
- Chrome uses Blink, which while a proper fork is receding from Webkit by the day (and we don't even need to get into Google's opinion of Windows), and Chromium's about as different from Chrome as AOSP is from Nexus Android.
- Maxthon is half-Blink, half-Trident (!) and all-dodgy.
- Midori can't be called modern because it has neither hardware acceleration nor much in the way of exception handling. ... Maybe it does on Linux/OS X/toasters, but not on Windows.
- I guess maybe Steam, but A) you need a Steam account full-stop just to get to it (dear Lord do I have one but it's not a safe default assumption) and B) the lack of extensibility, limited access to updates (since it's all about Valve's storefront and community, even if you can get to the general Internet as easily as any other browser) and Valve's legendary magpie-focus mean that even if it was available account-free it'd be not-great.

I'm seriously having trouble finding any others that haven't been abandoned for years plural, which is an Age in Internet terms.

I have no actual complaints about Firefox (maybe incomplete Media Source support), but Gecko isn't Webkit and thus doesn't qualify for the exercise, and no Webkit on a saturation-adoption-rate platform* is borderline absurd.

*This is the only reason Google has more than incidental involvement with Windows. ... I never said we couldn't bring up Google's opinion of Windows.

Wow, someone at Opera is upset about now

edit: Ah crap, Opera uses Blink. I knew they switched to WebKit from Presto, but I didn't know they were flat out using Google's fork. Disregard.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

The Biggest Jerk posted:

Anyone recommend a PDF annotator (preferably free)? I've been using Goodreader on the ipad for making notes in my textbook but I can't really find a good equivalent on windows (or don't know where to look/what to trust). Anything like it that's not adobe acrobat?
It's not free, but I recently bought PDF Annotator (based on a recommendation) and have been pretty happy with it so far.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Sir Unimaginative posted:

I don't know if it uses Blink but I use WhiteHat Aviator and like it.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

What's a good MTS to AVI (or other formats) converter? Doesn't have to be freeware.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Wait, isn't Safari for Windows webkit based?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

IT BURNS posted:

What's a good MTS to AVI (or other formats) converter? Doesn't have to be freeware.

They've cleaned up their website a lot, which is nice, because Xilisoft Video Converter is a solid piece of kit.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

AlternateAccount posted:

Wait, isn't Safari for Windows webkit based?

The last version of Safari for Windows is 5.1.7, released May 9, 2012...

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Manky posted:

I don't know if it uses Blink but I use WhiteHat Aviator and like it.

Learn More > Aviator Advantage posted:

Use proven, open-source Chromium code. This is the same stable code base that Google uses—so you can add in any Chrome extension to WhiteHat Aviator;.

Unless they did a crazy it's also Blink.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Nintendo Kid posted:

The last version of Safari for Windows is 5.1.7, released May 9, 2012...

Oh, wow, I had no idea they'd just let that completely die.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

AlternateAccount posted:

Oh, wow, I had no idea they'd just let that completely die.

It's easy not to know that, since no one has used Safari for Windows in even longer. :v:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I used Safari when it first came out and then uninstalled it because everything was blurry.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

Cojawfee posted:

I used Safari when it first came out and then uninstalled it because everything was blurry.

Didn't they force it through a custom font rendering engine or something?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

TopherCStone posted:

Didn't they force it through a custom font rendering engine or something?

Yes, essentially the same one used in OS X. Which doesn't look all that hot as it is (it's designed to be good for rendering fonts on printed pages), but looks absolutely terrible when contrasted with standard Windows rendering on the same screen.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
Crossposting from the PC Building thread since this tread seems like it might be a better fit.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

About 4 years ago I built my first PC, and now it's starting to get long in the tooth. Before I get around to thinking about parts, there's an OS issue I'd like to figure out first. When I built this PC, I grabbed an OEM copy of Windows 7 because it was cheaper and I didn't quite understand what OEM was. Now I'm looking to upgrade the CPU, but I originally went with an AMD CPU for some stupid reason I can no longer remember, and now I'm looking to pick up an Intel CPU. The only thing is that if I understand it right, the OEM nature of my OS could cause problems if I change the motherboard. Is there a simple fix to this, like buying a non-OEM version of Windows 7 and just changing the product key? I'm also thinking of picking up an SSD, could I just put a new copy of Windows 7 on the SSD, boot from the SSD and continue to use the old drive I currently boot from for storage? Sorry if this is really simple, but I have a bad habit of buying things first and then immediately running into problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Crossposting from the PC Building thread since this tread seems like it might be a better fit.

OEM copies really only have the limitation of only being installed on one PC at a time, essentially (and have to be sold with hardware). If it fails to activate (and retail keys get 5 or 10 activations, I'm not sure about OEM but it may just be 1), then you will have to call the automated MS robot and give it a long sequence of numbers to activate. It will then give you back a bunch of numbers to type in and you'll be set. It's not much different than a retail key except for a 5 minute phone call on a reinstall.

If you buy a SSD (and you probably should) and all new hardware you should do a full reinstall. You probably have a bunch of poo poo on your system that should be left behind and then you can use your old drive as a storage disk (or just get a new one for the new build, 1tb are like $50, 2tb $80-90ish, 3tb $100-120).

Another option, if you don't mind the bleeding edge, is to install the Windows 10 techincal preview as your OS on the new computer. It's not too bad although it's still in development so there can be some weirdness.