Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SouthsideSaint posted:

So on Monday my wife is trading her escape for her mothers 2000 WJ. First thing it needs is new tires because the ones on it are dryrotted and worn funny. While its getting new tires im going to have a chance to look at the suspension. Could someone recommend a decent set of tires in this size? Money is not the issue its there are so many mediocre brands for the size it has. 245/70r16

tirerack.com

Look up the right size and start reading reviews. They are quite comprehensive and will tell you about the various types of traction and noise.

There is no "one type is best" because they all perform differently in different ways. You need to figure out what is best for you based on where you live/weather, where you drive, how you drive, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

SouthsideSaint posted:

So on Monday my wife is trading her escape for her mothers 2000 WJ. First thing it needs is new tires because the ones on it are dryrotted and worn funny. While its getting new tires im going to have a chance to look at the suspension. Could someone recommend a decent set of tires in this size? Money is not the issue its there are so many mediocre brands for the size it has. 245/70r16

Firestone Destination ATs or Goodyear Wrangler Adventures would get my vote.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Motronic posted:

tirerack.com

Look up the right size and start reading reviews. They are quite comprehensive and will tell you about the various types of traction and noise.

There is no "one type is best" because they all perform differently in different ways. You need to figure out what is best for you based on where you live/weather, where you drive, how you drive, etc.

I wasn't really looking for someone to say THIS IS THE BEST TYPE BUY THIS THE STATISTICS SHOW ITS AMAZING!!! I was more looking for a *Insert Brand Here* this is what I have used and enjoyed. Tire rack has people reviewing those tires and its always for a different type of car.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Is it in Florida or Alaska? Will it ever leave pavement, and if so will it see sand, rocks, snow/ice, or mud? If not, is a city/highway mix or mostly one or the other? You're asking for recommendations for a vehicle that has a wide variety of capabilities, so it depends 100% on what it's used for. The recommendations are going to be different based on how you answer all of these questions.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Godholio posted:

Also a Mercedes-designed auto, not Chrysler.

I'm not sure that's a good thing. It might be, I suppose, but remember those are the assholes who decided a hydraulic radiator fan on some years of 4.7 WJs was a good idea. They were also the people who gave me my daily automotive headache today, so I might be a bit biased.

Today's project: 4.0 '04 WJ radiator replacement on a former coworker's jeep. It's been leaking coolant for some time (failed radiator end tank, plastic bullshit...) and the leak recently became rather urgent. So we ordered a new one and set aside this afternoon to do the operation. Started at noon.

And just finished. :argh:

First of all, the radiator has a built in trans cooler, which mysteriously isn't used on her year of WJ. I assume it was on previous years, or something, and they just kept selling the same unit since everything else stayed the same.

The trans cooler and A/C condenser are... the same loving unit.

They use the same end tubes.

Start scratching your heads because I did too. There are two end tubes, a bunch of capillary tubes between them with fins brazed between those, etc just like you would expect. Fluid port blocks brazed onto each end tube, like you would expect. Except each one has two ports, and one end has the AC fittings while the other end has the trans cooler fittings. It turns out that they decided to make things more germanically complicated by brazing a blockoff plug inside each end tube halfway down to partition the trans cooler from the AC condenser while keeping them the same unit. Why? I don't loving know, I guess it makes assembly faster or something.

Long story short the goddamned trans cooler body side hardlines go from the combined condenser/trans cooler unit and wrap around the radiator, then go to softlines that jump the gap to the drivetrain, then hardlines going to the transmission. The hardlines on the trans cooler side are formed in the most ridiculous manner which wraps around the radiator so closely that you can't finagle the lower radiator hose fitting out around them without jacking around with stuff a LOT and risking trans cooler, AC condenser, trans line, or AC line damage, so we unscrewed the one small fastener that holds the trans cooler lines in, not wanting to drain, vacuum, and refill the AC system. Get everything buttoned up including new O-rings on the trans cooler fitting block (the old ones were pretty crunchy), it looks good, fill the cooling system, she drives home. I get The Call minutes later when she realizes the transmission is barfing fluid everywhere from the front of the vehicle.

Turns out that damned bolt stripped out its threads in the trans cooler fitting block and so we had to get an aftermarket unit from autozone and ghetto rig it in there for now. When the weather gets nice again I'll see if I can junkyard a good factory cooler... OH WAIT! hahahaha it's part of the AC system, so that would have to be redone too. loving hell, Daimler/Mercedes/Satan incarnate. :argh:

A new unit from the dealer is part number 55116931AA, available online for a mere $258. And that's an aftermarket unit. Want to guess what an OEM unit costs? list price $432

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Godholio posted:

Is it in Florida or Alaska? Will it ever leave pavement, and if so will it see sand, rocks, snow/ice, or mud? If not, is a city/highway mix or mostly one or the other? You're asking for recommendations for a vehicle that has a wide variety of capabilities, so it depends 100% on what it's used for. The recommendations are going to be different based on how you answer all of these questions.

It will be used for driving in and around Chicago. and on vacations in the summer. I doubt this thing will ever see a trail. The most offroading it will do would be driving onto a campsite and off.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SouthsideSaint posted:

I wasn't really looking for someone to say THIS IS THE BEST TYPE BUY THIS THE STATISTICS SHOW ITS AMAZING!!! I was more looking for a *Insert Brand Here* this is what I have used and enjoyed. Tire rack has people reviewing those tires and its always for a different type of car.

But more importantly there are actual tire rack authored reviews that rate things like dry traction, wet traction, road noise, etc. This is what I was trying to direct you towards to equip you to make the best decision for yourself, rather than hoping someone here is going to live exactly where you are and drive they way you do in the same model vehicle.

But mostly to avoid yet another boring back and forth about which tires to buy.

Seriously.....it's as bad as a what car should I buy post. Possibly worse, because the relevant information to make an informed decision is out there and easily understood.

REDjackeT
Sep 2, 2009

SouthsideSaint posted:

It will be used for driving in and around Chicago. and on vacations in the summer. I doubt this thing will ever see a trail. The most offroading it will do would be driving onto a campsite and off.

I live near o'hare. I've been using BFG T/A KO's in 225/75R16 all year on my WJ. Pretty good in all weather, fairly quiet for blocky tires. They have them in 245/70R16 as well. I think I got them in '09 but I honestly don't remember what my mileage was then (140k? 182k right now) and they'll likely be replaced by next winter. It didn't help that I never rotated them because

I may very well get them again.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!
I have a spare 231 for my jeep. The plan is to put an sye and wide chain in it and then swap it out with the worn out one currently in my jeep. Not really looking for the planetary upgrade but if the parts case has a better one I'll use it.

there are 2 possible part sources on Craigslist. first is a early 90's 241c. Should have 6 gear planetary set and wide chain but I dont know if I can use the chain and sprockets from it in a 231. Its only $80.

Second is a 231c from an unknown year s10. This could possibly have the wide chain and possibly a 4 gear planetary set in it. Its $100.

The optimal answer would be to go to the pick and pull and just get the exact parts I need but I've not had the time plus laying in freezing mud doesn't sound fun right now. They'd likely make me buy a whole tc anyway.

Any thoughts?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
The 231 has a crazy torque rating already for the load a typical Jeep will put on it, is there a reason you want to upgrade like that, or is it just a case of "stronger must be better"?

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

EightBit posted:

The 231 has a crazy torque rating already for the load a typical Jeep will put on it, is there a reason you want to upgrade like that, or is it just a case of "stronger must be better"?

Since I'm going to have it apart for the sye swap I figured might as well do the chain swap. I know the stock chain is far up the list of things that will break. Its more of a why not type thing.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer
I'm never installing rock sliders again. I'm either buying Jeeps with them already installed or paying some rear end in a top hat to do it for me. This is the second set I've installed including the XJ before this WJ, and I'm over it. Ugh.

Anyway, here are some pictures.

I scrubbed the hell out of them with soapy water. They were filthy.

2-3 coats of self etching primer.

Rustoleum Hammered as a base coat because I had two cans lying around.

My dog was sun bathing while I worked, keeping an eye on things.

Pass side done.

Rear Pass mount.

Front Pass mount. Notice the extra spacer wedged in there. It'll work fine.

Installing the driver side with my Talon peeking out from the garage.

Marking holes on the pinch seam. Only one of them was really off! Not too bad considering my track record.

I ended up finishing with Dupli-color bed armor which feels like it won't scrape off getting in and out of the Jeep.

The bottom of the sliders extend about an inch below the bottom of the pinch seam, which makes sense I suppose even though I think it could have been higher.

But you can see it doesn't really affect overall clearance at all.

Overall it took about 2-3 hours to install each side measuring as carefully as possible and drilling 26 holes with my little Black & Decker drill. I broke 3 or 4 smaller drill bits I was using to make pilot holes which was annoying, but at least it's over with. Prep and paint was probably 3 hours or so for all the layers plus cutting the frame mounts to fit. I think they turned out alright.

BoostCreep fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Mar 9, 2015

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Veeb0rg posted:

I have a spare 231 for my jeep. The plan is to put an sye and wide chain in it and then swap it out with the worn out one currently in my jeep. Not really looking for the planetary upgrade but if the parts case has a better one I'll use it.

there are 2 possible part sources on Craigslist. first is a early 90's 241c. Should have 6 gear planetary set and wide chain but I dont know if I can use the chain and sprockets from it in a 231. Its only $80.

Second is a 231c from an unknown year s10. This could possibly have the wide chain and possibly a 4 gear planetary set in it. Its $100.

The optimal answer would be to go to the pick and pull and just get the exact parts I need but I've not had the time plus laying in freezing mud doesn't sound fun right now. They'd likely make me buy a whole tc anyway.

Any thoughts?

Make sure to get a donor case from the same side of the 94.0 to 94.5 planetary gear tooth profile split if you want to upgrade to 6 planetaries. The chain and sprockets should be fine either way.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
My MJ's been using/losing/eating/whatever coolant lately. It's not coming out in a puddle underneath when I park and it's not going into the oil or vice versa. Every few days I just end up topping up the coolant in the radiator. It's like there's a dimensional portal in my water pump that's making the coolant disappear.

:iiam:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Its with your missing socks.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Its with your missing socks.

Yeah but I only ever miss 1 of each pair of socks. I should always still have like half my coolant right?

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Sandbagger SA posted:

My MJ's been using/losing/eating/whatever coolant lately. It's not coming out in a puddle underneath when I park and it's not going into the oil or vice versa. Every few days I just end up topping up the coolant in the radiator. It's like there's a dimensional portal in my water pump that's making the coolant disappear.

:iiam:

Check the expansion plugs and the thermostat gasket, that's what was causing that issue for me. Let it idle and crawl under with a flashlight looking for shiny.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

thermostat gasket

I'm hoping that's not it because I just recently changed the thermostat housing out.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Threw a simple 2.5" lift and 37's on the other night. Impact wrench with a swivel tossed my 18mm socket while I was under and I couldn't find it again. Looked loving everywhere. Messed around with short sockets etc. Finally found it as I was finishing up. Balanced on top of the jack.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Sandbagger SA posted:

I'm hoping that's not it because I just recently changed the thermostat housing out.

If that's not it, well, it's probably going out your exhaust :ohdear:

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

jonathan posted:

Balanced on top of the jack.

Of course. I hate it when that poo poo happens.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

BoostCreep posted:

I think they turned out alright.
Looks fine! Let's go scrape them next weekend!

I lost about 1/4" of clearance to my rock sliders, but in the best possible way. I'll demonstrate on Cleghorn.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Sandbagger SA posted:

Maybe re-snug the bolts, but if you just did it it's probably fine. Like I said, my main mysterious leak was a corroded-thru expansion plug... which I am still battling :downs:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Make sure the thermostat didn't slip out of its little groove in the thermostat housing before snugging it down or you will crack the cast aluminum. Common mistake.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Motronic posted:

But more importantly there are actual tire rack authored reviews that rate things like dry traction, wet traction, road noise, etc. This is what I was trying to direct you towards to equip you to make the best decision for yourself, rather than hoping someone here is going to live exactly where you are and drive they way you do in the same model vehicle.

But mostly to avoid yet another boring back and forth about which tires to buy.

Seriously.....it's as bad as a what car should I buy post. Possibly worse, because the relevant information to make an informed decision is out there and easily understood.

I read a lot of the reviews and there all over the place. one person will say how the tires were great and lasted for a little longer then the warranty. Then the next review down will just trash the tires. So ive come to the conclusion some of those reviews are written while someone has there head in there rear end. But you guys have defenitley steered me in a good direction thanks.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SouthsideSaint posted:

I read a lot of the reviews and there all over the place. one person will say how the tires were great and lasted for a little longer then the warranty. Then the next review down will just trash the tires. So ive come to the conclusion some of those reviews are written while someone has there head in there rear end. But you guys have defenitley steered me in a good direction thanks.

Jesus H. Christ. I'm talking about this:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...=yes&tab=Survey

Sorry, it's called "surveys".

I get it: you don't want to or are incapable of doing research on your own. I'm done here.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

Krakkles posted:

Looks fine! Let's go scrape them next weekend!

I lost about 1/4" of clearance to my rock sliders, but in the best possible way. I'll demonstrate on Cleghorn.

I don't know what the best possible way to lose clearance is, but I'm looking forward to Saturday!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I basically don't trust offroaders (or anyone else really) when it comes to tire reviews because everyone says the tires currently on their ride or last on their ride are the best ever. Including me.

Tirerack has a good "average out all the wacky responses and you might get a sane answer" poll based review feature, as motronic noted.

I take negatives more seriously than positives or neutrals though. 99% of drivers don't push their tires even to 3/10ths nevermind actually finding the limits, sorry average driver I don't care if you think your boring allseason long trail tires are awesome in the snow and deep mud but I sure want to know if you tried to stop in a rainstorm and hydroplaned at 20mph with brand new chinese ditchfinders.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

SouthsideSaint posted:

I used to have a set of standard fare Goodyear Wranglers on my YJ that I thought were excellent 3 season tires. They came with my jeep and lasted so well that I bought another set. I think ACEofsnett still has them on his XJ.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Sandbagger SA posted:

Yeah but I only ever miss 1 of each pair of socks. I should always still have like half my coolant right?

Your socks are in the heater core. Sorry.

Edit: For fucks sake, buy Goodyear Duratracs. They're capable in basically anything and available all over the place.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004
I get pretty good use out of Destination AT's, have them on my XJ just now, know a couple other guys who run them on theirs without issues.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Godholio posted:

Your socks are in the heater core. Sorry.

At least they're dry. :3:

I could see the bottom of my bed yesterday. I was excited.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Motronic posted:

Jesus H. Christ. I'm talking about this:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...=yes&tab=Survey

Sorry, it's called "surveys".

I get it: you don't want to or are incapable of doing research on your own. I'm done here.

No need to get flustered. As you are the only one getting upset. I read reviews and like I said they sucked a bag of dicks. But I will read the surveys and thanks for that didn't notice them. But in my research some yokohama geolanders might be what I need seeing as I wont be doing any offroading and the all seasons on my escape were perfect last winter.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
Steel fender flares woooo no more lovely plastic falling off. For the front so far, anyway.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

I swear this stupid truck has gained sentience for the sole purpose of loving with me. I was going to pull the doors/top off and craigslist them to hire an electrician to fix this loving short since I've failed miserably at finding it. Except now the drivers side door is stuck and wont come off. :smithicide:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Don't hire an electrician unless you want the thing coming back full of Romex, zipcord, and wire nuts.

Yes, I've seen all those things on cars.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

If that results in a vehicle that works I'm perfectly OK with that.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Philip J Fry posted:

Steel fender flares woooo no more lovely plastic falling off. For the front so far, anyway.

That is a classy looking XJ.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Hey guys. Tell me about long blocks for the 4.0. Rebuilt? Crate Motorsport? Jasper? AEK? Lots of options it looks like. Any clear cut best value?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Stay away from Titan. No other opinions, really.

Their motors are garbage and we caught their employees using multiple sockpuppet accounts to try and discredit people complaining about them on another forum. If I didn't think their engines were garbage before they did that, I sure did after, it's not something a reputable company does or needs to do.