Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

George posted:

Thank you for putting me down so gently, Bobbin. Can I have my 50 gold back?

No. I may be hunting down my parents' murderer, but I'm no saint here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartheon
Jun 1, 2014

Help me, Oppan. You're my only hope.
I just saw the William Steele video and I have to ask - why do the barracks in the sewers have a privy? It's in the sewers. Just step outside the barracks and have at it.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

It's rather hard to squat with your bum over the soup balanced like that. Far easier to sit on a bucket then toss that into the soup.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Cartheon posted:

I just saw the William Steele video and I have to ask - why do the barracks in the sewers have a privy? It's in the sewers. Just step outside the barracks and have at it.

They need somewhere to hang the loo roll

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
also sewer burricks.

HnK416
Apr 26, 2008

Hot diggity damn!
I looked up some stuff about House of Leaves and...the gently caress :stare:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Good old House of Leaves :allears:

One of the classics: "It's a book about a book about a film about a house that is a labyrinth. In short, it's a book that is a labyrinth."

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
I had to read that book for a course on Post-Modernism. The teacher wasn't impressed when I called it a "... pretentious pile of words that has more in common with standing in the middle of a screaming crowd than any sort of narrative"

Apparently I don't "get" post-modernist thought. Who knew?

HnK416
Apr 26, 2008

Hot diggity damn!
Looking at that 1; makes my brain hurt and 2; makes me go "dang" because I've been writing a short story that does stuff like that and I thought I was being unique.

Whelp, time to add another book to the buy list.

Edit: 'Stuff like that' meaning the strange page layouts and typographic weirdness.

HnK416 fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Mar 8, 2015

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

HnK416 posted:

Looking at that 1; makes my brain hurt and 2; makes me go "dang" because I've been writing a short story that does stuff like that and I thought I was being unique.

Whelp, time to add another book to the buy list.

Edit: 'Stuff like that' meaning the strange page layouts and typographic weirdness.

You ever read Bester's classic "The Demolished Man"?

It uses those tricks quite well. Book's about psychics, and it uses all sorts of typography tricks to indicate how their communications work.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

HnK416 posted:

I really liked House of Leaves, but didn't care for his follow-up (Only Revolutions). Both books, however, are must-haves on the shelf for all of the crazy and awesome typography.

HoL may devolve into pure PoMo grandstanding, but there's still a lot of impressive writing, good horror, and plenty to talk about. Highly recommended, and if you hate it I don't take it back.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I always found House of Leaves more a piss-take an criticism of post-modernism (and academia) than necessarily post-modernist grandstanding.

Then again, that and the Illuminatus! Trilogy are my two favorite books of all time, so I'm a bit of an odd duck I s'pose.

Cartheon
Jun 1, 2014

berryjon posted:

I had to read that book for a course on Post-Modernism. The teacher wasn't impressed when I called it a "... pretentious pile of words that has more in common with standing in the middle of a screaming crowd than any sort of narrative"

Apparently I don't "get" post-modernist thought. Who knew?

The correct response to the teacher being unimpressed is "Oh, I get what the text is trying to do and that the author was clever at a meta level, but cleverness at the meta level does not a good book make. It is still pretentious diahrea of the mouth."

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Which actually works for House of Leaves because while a good book is definitely could've used much, much harsher editing.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

HnK416 posted:

...I'm sorry but

Seriously what

Like jesus I thought it was like maybe some passages skipping or something but not THIS clusterfuck holy poo poo this looks crazy. I REALLY wanna read it now just to experience this.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
It's pretty neat for what it is! Expeeeeeerimental literature.

A narratively better and more accessible example would be The Raw Shark Texts by Steven Hall.

I kind of like books that use the page space as a tool for progressing the narrative, even if they can be a little pretentious. I gotta say I found the rest of Danielewski's work to be loving unreadable.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

So, ignoring the page layout gimmick for a moment (incredible though it may be), is it a well-written

?

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Cartheon posted:

The correct response to the teacher being unimpressed is "Oh, I get what the text is trying to do and that the author was clever at a meta level, but cleverness at the meta level does not a good book make. It is still pretentious diahrea of the mouth."

And then the entire class stood up and applauded as I donned my fedora and walked out.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

double nine posted:

So, ignoring the page layout gimmick for a moment (incredible though it may be), is it a well-written

?

The ending is a bit precious, but yes. It will make you feel things, especially in the dark and every time you walk into an anteroom.

Cartheon
Jun 1, 2014

Prop Wash posted:

And then the entire class stood up and applauded as I donned my fedora and walked out.

Typically such discussions happen during office hours rather than in the middle of class, but if that's how you want to handle it...and you wear a fedora, sure.

Non-EuclideanCat
Nov 9, 2009
It's also dense as gently caress. I've been reading it for something like 2 years now and I'm about halfway done because I need time to digest.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Maybe I'm just dense, but as far as I could tell all the funky typography stuff had no actual bearing on the contents of the book. There's a couple of tricks that are kind of neat (like every single instance of the word "house" being blue/purple) but otherwise it pretty much seems like grandstanding.

And the vast majority of the book is a textual description of a fictional film, so you could totally film it, by making said film.

(I did like most of it. The core concept is really neat, in particular.)

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

malkav11 posted:

Maybe I'm just dense, but as far as I could tell all the funky typography stuff had no actual bearing on the contents of the book. There's a couple of tricks that are kind of neat (like every single instance of the word "house" being blue/purple) but otherwise it pretty much seems like grandstanding.

There's a chase sequence in the book that has only a few short sentences a page so you find yourself constantly flipping quicker and quicker to mirror the frantic pace of the people running. Not to mention the bits where there's twisty passages where you find yourself having to turn the book around to read the words so it feels like you're climbing own a hole.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
I didn't finish the book, but if I recall correctly, pretty early an editor writes his own story into the footnotes, and eventually those footnotes take entire pages over. So at least sometimes those different parts of the page are different threads of the plot.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Aithon posted:

I didn't finish the book, but if I recall correctly, pretty early an editor writes his own story into the footnotes, and eventually those footnotes take entire pages over. So at least sometimes those different parts of the page are different threads of the plot.
The editor's story is the worst part of the book, though.
Anyway, yes, the layout is used in several very clever ways to accentuate what you are reading about.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
There's actually something like four or five different 'books' that sort of interweave between each other. And the footnotes, oh god the footnotes. There are footnotes with footnotes that reference prior footnotes several hundred pages before, sometimes the footnotes they reference don't actually exist or they do exist but only as an empty space with a reminder by the author to himself to write the footnote later.

"A book that is a labyrinth" really is the best description I've ever heard for it; it's a literary maze.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

It is a book where anyone that makes their way through it confuses the sense of relief with one of enjoyment. Like the Silmarillion.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
At least at no point in House of Leaves does the book take a 3 page time-out to describe Elven filigree :colbert:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Silmarillion is beautiful. My favorite history textbook ever.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
The Name of the Rose, depending on how you read it, is either a historical mystery novel, a treatise on classical and medieval philosophy, or both.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I read North European family sagas and collections of traditional stories and legends for fun.

The Silmarillion was still an arduous slog.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Speaking of books, I've got a bonus surprise waiting on my Youtube channel.

South Quarter Sluices
Whiteridge's Duty: The Constant Lady
Client Loot: The Talking Skull

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Re: Toughness: http://www.realmshelps.net/cgi-bin/featbox.pl?feat=Improved_Toughness
It's exactly like the "much better toughness feat in pathfinder" and available to all E6 characters.

The_Hatt
Apr 29, 2005

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Speaking of books, I've got a bonus surprise waiting on my Youtube channel.

South Quarter Sluices
Whiteridge's Duty: The Constant Lady
Client Loot: The Talking Skull

Dailymotion says this episode has been removed. 19 is there though.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Oh good it's not just me then. I was wondering if something had gone horribly wrong.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Illyria? Glad to see they don't even bother to make up new names.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Mar 9, 2015

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

These side missions seem to have a lot more care and effort put into them than the main story has. Maybe they were made by the old dev team.

asvodel
Oct 10, 2012
By the old dev team you mean one of the teams involved in a previous development cycle of Thief 2014 before one of the many massive staff turnovers?
It seems possible or at least probably like a small team separate from most of the main game.
If you mean the development team of Thief 1, 2, or 3 they were not involved in the project.

I wish the team that made the side missions had made the whole game. Maybe it would have been less stupid then.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

asvodel posted:

I wish the team that made the side missions had made the whole game. Maybe it would have been less stupid then.
Depends on which team came with the brilliant idea of spacing the missions over the whole game and not spawning the loot until you have the mission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

The_Hatt posted:

Dailymotion says this episode has been removed. 19 is there though.

Yeah, I don't really get what's different about it, but I can't reupload it again so it's Youtube or nothing.

• Locked thread