Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Waterhaul posted:

Coulson's always been a fetishized character, he's a balding middle aged white dude with the power to be super amazing at everything and friends with all your heroes.

COULSON IS WAID.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Endless Mike posted:

Except no one is fetishizing Coulson in the SHIELD comic.

He just wants to cuddle.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Man, why DC didn't snatch Soule when they had the chance? :smith:

Going to the place with lawyer characters was just too right for him.

RIP his She-Hulk too, though :/

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

He just wants to cuddle.

Me too. :smith:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

I hope you don't cuddle the same way that Coulson does, or we will have to get Dutchboy on the case.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

COULSON IS WAID.

If you didn't get this in the Ms Marvel issues, I have no clue how you read the issue with those blinkers on.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

I hope you don't cuddle the same way that Coulson does, or we will have to get Dutchboy on the case.

Better warn Tigra to steer clear.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Rhyno posted:

Better warn Tigra to steer clear.

Though I think he'd enjoy hanging out with John Jameson.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Did I miss something important in a non-GL book regarding Hal Jordan and his drama-bomb turn in the main series? That sort of "I must become the villain" self-hate is usually reserved for terrible YA fiction and people who don't know how to sever a relationship properly (like I'll be doing to Green Lantern...). What's Hal's logic, again? The past few story arcs have cast the Corps in a bad light with the rest of the universe, ok cool, and Hal is leader of the Corps, right gotcha, and his solution to cosmically bad PR is to... steal a construct generator and go on the lam so that the Corps will band together to catch him? And he makes sure to beat his best alien friend to a bloody pulp in the process?

"It's tough being chief of police, everyone's down on cops these days... I know, I'll steal a tank and drive it into the woods, my squad will feel united when they're forced to gun me down! Better cap my lieutenant in the knee on my way out so everyone knows I'm serious."

Wasn't the Corps just united against a common, love-to-hate-them enemy (New Gods) during Godhead? The event where Hal saved the day twice over? Making the latest turn of events even worse, he just had that bro-time issue at the bar with Guy, and I was led to believe he announced a comeback of sorts in another series with some full-page "guess who's back" reveal. If Hal wants to take a heel turn out of some bent sense of duty, at least be consistent about it, DC.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Space Fish posted:

Did I miss something important in a non-GL book regarding Hal Jordan and his drama-bomb turn in the main series? That sort of "I must become the villain" self-hate is usually reserved for terrible YA fiction and people who don't know how to sever a relationship properly (like I'll be doing to Green Lantern...). What's Hal's logic, again? The past few story arcs have cast the Corps in a bad light with the rest of the universe, ok cool, and Hal is leader of the Corps, right gotcha, and his solution to cosmically bad PR is to... steal a construct generator and go on the lam so that the Corps will band together to catch him? And he makes sure to beat his best alien friend to a bloody pulp in the process?

"It's tough being chief of police, everyone's down on cops these days... I know, I'll steal a tank and drive it into the woods, my squad will feel united when they're forced to gun me down! Better cap my lieutenant in the knee on my way out so everyone knows I'm serious."

Wasn't the Corps just united against a common, love-to-hate-them enemy (New Gods) during Godhead? The event where Hal saved the day twice over? Making the latest turn of events even worse, he just had that bro-time issue at the bar with Guy, and I was led to believe he announced a comeback of sorts in another series with some full-page "guess who's back" reveal. If Hal wants to take a heel turn out of some bent sense of duty, at least be consistent about it, DC.

Well, the whole thing is a plan of the Templar Guardians to salvage the reputation of the corps, from what I can gather. Their plan is to use Hal as scapegoat so the universe trust the corps again.

Somehow.

Maybe.

In short, Venditti's a TERRIBLE writer.

On the other hand, I'm really enjoying Lobo. Cullen is taking the core aspects of the character and giving them a spin to make them more serious. And so far, Lobo being a professional ruled by his own code of honor is working pretty well. Suddenly killing all of his supporting cast was a crazy but great move.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Swamp Thing had an amazing finale this week and it went all metafictional in the best possible way.

I haven't read 100 Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez though, has anyone here read it and Soule's Swamp Thing and can therefore explain the significance of Alec reading the book during this issue?

I mean, I know it's the book Jonah asked him to read but I suspect there's a much deeper meaning than that given the crazy thematics going on in this issue.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Well, the book is one of the greatest classics of latin american literature and it chronicles the rise and fall of the Buendía Family and their town, Macondo; through the eponymous 100 years

One ofthe biggest themes on the book is the notion of fate. Nearly everything that happens to the Buendías is told on a prophecy told to the patriarch at the beginning of the book and while many members try to defy it, it only sets the stage for the prophecy to come true.

The book is somewhat dense to read since lots of characters share the same name (in fact, their names kind of determine they personality) and there are time skips, flashbacks and remembrances spread through all the story.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
A secondary reading of 100 Years has to do with a central event (the banana farm massacre) that actually happened to Garcia Marquez in his own youth. The Mexican Magical Realism stuff that surrounds the town (folks with 99% identical names, folks dying resurrecting casually, a child born with a tail, an insomnia plague and so on) is a distraction from the real horror of man's inhumanity towards other men -- and for what? For control of fruits to sell to other countries. For profits.

Understanding that, and unlocking the implications of it, is an apocalyptic event that is powerful and formative. The novel effectively ends when one of the Buendia lineage comes to grips with the sheer importance of the massacre, realizing that all the nonsense of the town is unimportant given the bloodshed.

Haven't had a chance to pick up Swamp Thing, but if there's a kind of kernel of truth thing going on with the run recently, I could see them invoking 100 Years to tease out how traumatic it may be.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
What the gently caress DC?

Endgame's final, Superman 40 and Multiversity 2 have been delayed until April 29th.

Oh, and Batman Eternal's final issue has a page and price increase.

EDIT:

New interview with Venditti about Green Lantern

http://www.newsarama.com/23725-green-lantern-writer-on-hal-s-new-ring-free-direction-for-june.html

I...I don't know how to feel about it.

The idea itself sounds good and interesting on paper but Venditti's execution has been pretty bad so far.

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Mar 7, 2015

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Personally I would be stoked if they made Hal the next big villain for the New 52 after Convergence, have him beat up the Corps, become some sort of Final Hour threat and then have him die heroically to show what a hero he truly is and was. After death his spirit can become a new Doctor Fate to let him have a voice while still showing he has evolved as a character.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Waterhaul posted:

Yeah it's a spy book that's very much trying to pander to a certain audience and seemingly alienating a lot of long time Grayson fans but Nick Fury: Agent of SHIELD it is not. Maybe like Agents of SHIELD.

You love me :)

I wish the writers would reach beyond 'shirtless is sexy' and 'girls dig this guy'. Tim Seeley talks constantly about sexy games spies must play. You wanna do something novel? Have him gently caress some guys.

How's Batgirl holding up? I am MONTHS behind on comics atm.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
From Bleeding Cool, Didio talks about Doomed, Mystic U, Prez and Section 8

Dan Didio posted:

Mystic U by Alisa Kwitney is part of a new look at the mystic side of the DC Universe along with Dark Universe and Hellblazer: John Constantine, and the writers had recently held a mini-summit. His take is, if you are reading Dark Universe ahead of the Guillermo Del Toro project, or Constantine from the TV show, then maybe picking up Mystic U might not be a bad idea either.

Doomed picks up from the Scott Lobdell‘s Superman: Doomed storyline, with the Doomed spores, and you find out what happens when an alien virus infects someone and how they can change in the process. With a big brooding strong character, the kind I love to see in comics.

Prez is possibly my personal favourite, a little book that could, full of incredibly interesting ideas, with a strange voice with a sense of humour, a real bite and edgy sensibilities to how it approaches things

And Section 8 is exactly what people think it is, with Garth Ennis and John McCrea, that everyone has their fingers crossed over, that breaks the office out into hysterical laughter. The staff are not sure if DC should do the book, “but what the heck” , it’s irreverent, the opposite end of the spectrum for DC books. And that’s what makes the line, from Batmite and Bizarro’s all ages titles, pushed to the other side with Section 8 and the dark, biting Omega Men….

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I can't wait to find out what happens when an alien virus infects someone and how they change in the process.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Was Taters posted:

You love me :)

I wish the writers would reach beyond 'shirtless is sexy' and 'girls dig this guy'. Tim Seeley talks constantly about sexy games spies must play. You wanna do something novel? Have him gently caress some guys.

How's Batgirl holding up? I am MONTHS behind on comics atm.

Batgirl's pretty good. Still doesn't feel a whole lot like Barbara but I'm learning to accept this and move on. It's definitely written for a younger audience and as such sometimes comes off as forced or obnoxious with the way it leans on social media & smart phones but given that the mastermind behind Barbara's trouble was just revealed as an AI based on Barbara's brain pattern its understandable. It also doesn't feel like an old person trying to write for teenagers. It feels pretty authentic, though I'm like 30 so I might be easy to fool. The art is still great.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Dan Didio posted:

I can't wait to find out what happens when an alien virus infects someone and how they change in the process.
Bloodlines.

Alternately, if 90s SciFi cinema is to be believed, they'll go around loving everything in sight.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

FilthyImp posted:

Bloodlines.

Alternately, if 90s SciFi cinema is to be believed, they'll go around loving everything in sight.

With a big, brooding, strong character. The kind I love to see in comics.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

'We Are Robin' article
http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/2015/03/09/we-are-robin-comic-book-exclusive/24635301/

quote:

Instead of just one Robin, DC Comics is unleashing a whole flock of them on Gotham City this summer.

What used to be the mantle of Batman's teenage sidekick is now worn by many diverse youngsters clad in the familiar "R" in We Are Robin, a new series debuting June 24 from writer Lee Bermejo (Batman: Noel) and artists Rob Haynes and Khary Randolph.

Part of a large crop of new comic books debuting after the Convergence event series, We Are Robin focuses on Duke Thomas, an African-American kid who's played an important role recently in the main Batman series, as he's indoctrinated into this new Robin movement to protect and serve Gotham.

When the series opens, it really doesn't have an identity, Bermejo says, but the group knows its mission statement. "It's one thing to put a hashtag on your Twitter account as a teenager and feel like you're part of something. It's a whole other thing when the (stuff) hits the fan and you have to stand up for what you believe in."

Duke is the reader's way into this street-smart world — he's had interactions with the Dark Knight before so he isn't a complete rookie — and Bermejo is focusing on him and other newbies rather than the folks who've been Robin previously such as Tim Drake, Jason Todd, Stephanie Brown, Dick Grayson and most recently Damian Wayne, Batman's son.

"I'm not going to rule anything out at this point," Bermejo says, "but what I'm trying to with this series is not address so much the Robins that have come before but the new generation of teenagers out there, really from various backgrounds."

We Are Robin is one of the post-Convergence books primed to explore diversity in the DC Universe for a growing readership — Bermejo sees it as a chance to expand the Robin character past "teenage white kids who all look the same."

And if he avoided reflecting our own cities and younger generation in the comic, "you'd be shirking a pretty big responsibility," he adds. "Just with everything that we've seen happen recently with Ferguson, there's a lot of issues here that I think can be touched on and should be touched on.

"There's that element of this particular moment we're passing right now, and with a book like this you have a chance to comment about certain things and bring them into the Bat-universe in real interesting ways."

As a longtime fan of the Dark Knight and his supporting players, Bermejo admits that he always had a hard time figuring out why Batman would have a teen sidekick and put a kid in danger in the first place — for the writer, that was the beginning of how a series such as We Are Robin could work.

"Maybe there could possibly be many of these kids out there on the streets who have different talents and different capabilities that could be useful to Batman," says Bermejo.

"With ideas and big concepts, teenagers can get really passionate about that stuff and it can be their whole life. That was something interesting to me, that this thing could be bigger than just one guy jumping around in a domino mask."

Another aspect working in Bermejo's favor: the inherent malleability of Gotham's finest.

"You can take that concept of Robin and really play with it and really stretch it and expand upon it and bend it," he says. "It still will hold resemblance to the core of the character in the Bat-mythos."

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Colour me intrigued.

The more I read about the post-Convergence stuff, the more things I am seeing DC saying right. I really hope they don't screw it up.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
"We are Robin" sound pretty intriguing, although I have to admit I'm not fully convinced yet about the idea of any random kid getting involved in superheroics.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

"We are Robin" sound pretty intriguing, although I have to admit I'm not fully convinced yet about the idea of any random kid getting involved in superheroics.

I enjoy that aspect of Tim Drake. His life wasn't changed forever by a tragic event he was seeking vengence for and he never trained for years and years before becoming a crimefighter. He's just a normal teen who realized Batman needed Robin and made the decision, unconnected to any personal reasons, to spend his life helping and protecting people.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Mar 9, 2015

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

WickedHate posted:

I enjoy that aspect of Tim Drake. His life wasn't changed forever by a tragic event he was seeking vengence for and he never trained for years and years before becoming a crimefighter. He's just a normal teen who realized Batman needed Robin and made the decision, unconnected to any personal reasons, to spend his life helping and protecting people.

Then his entire family was killed.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

bobkatt013 posted:

Then his entire family was killed.

Yeah, Identity Crisis was terrible like that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Did anything remotely good come out of Identity Crisis? A single thing?

Even the potentially good things like Ralph & Sue: Deadman Detectives didn't last.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

Even the potentially good things like Ralph & Sue: Deadman Detectives didn't last.

Or pretty much never really happened. And no Identity Crisis was complete garbage with the only thing decent were sock puppet suspects that made the rounds here.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

Did IC create the idea of Calculator becoming basically the evil flipside of Oracle? That was all eventually wasted as an idea, but I think it was a good one.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I never get tired of the idea that Deathstroke, a dude who got his rear end handed to him by Nightwing more than once, could take down the Flash and Green Lantern in three pages.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

redbackground posted:

Did IC create the idea of Calculator becoming basically the evil flipside of Oracle? That was all eventually wasted as an idea, but I think it was a good one.

Yeah, that was basically its sole redeemable facet - and even then it was a minor setting detail rather than a plot point. IC was so bad you guys.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

I never get tired of the idea that Deathstroke, a dude who got his rear end handed to him by Nightwing more than once, could take down the Flash and Green Lantern in three pages.

I've said it once and will say it again, Deathstroke is the worst character in comics.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Its due to Deathstroke corrupting Brad Metzer's favorite character.

http://bradmeltzer.com/other-works/how-i-spent-my-summer-vacation-with-the-judas-contract/

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Yeah, that was basically its sole redeemable facet - and even then it was a minor setting detail rather than a plot point. IC was so bad you guys.

Nah.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TwoPair posted:

I've said it once and will say it again, Deathstroke is the worst character in comics.

And like, the best villain on all comic book tv shows. I fuckin love Manu Bennet.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Rhyno posted:

And like, the best villain on all comic book tv shows. I fuckin love Manu Bennet.

Don't forget Ron Perlman.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Beefstew posted:

Don't forget Ron Perlman.

Ehhhh, that show never really did it for me. Besides, Ron will always be Hellboy in my head.

Let's hope Joe Mangi-I can't remember how to spell his last name-o does a good job in the film version.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

ImpAtom posted:

It eventually lead to 52 so that was a happy accident. It also kind of led into Jason Rusch being the new Firestorm so that was cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Madkal posted:

It also kind of led into Jason Rusch being the new Firestorm so that was cool.

Yeah. Until New 52 Firestorm wrecked him.

• Locked thread