Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Pretty sure I was the first person in my city to unlock 007 mode, when I was like a Sophomore in HS.

I can proudly say I was the first person in our county (from a town of 3200 mind you) to get a Nintendo 64 when they were first coming out. I remember kids calling me out saying "bull poo poo you've got a 64, nobody can find them anywhere not even MY parents."

Thankfully my Dad was cool as poo poo, and as a truck driver was able to find one a few states away for us. Even though I had friends over to play lots of kids still didn't believe me. I very nerdily took a Polaroid picture of the 64 (while I was stretching Mario's face in Mario 64 mind you) and brought it to school to show the disbelievers how cool I was. It backfired a little when they made fun of my yellow controller but gently caress them they were so jealous haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"
A local game store got some Japanese version N64's months before the North American version was released and rented them out. So I tried the Nintendo 64 months before most of you scrubs. :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo:

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

Rocks posted:

holy poo poo the Klobb sucks

The Klobb loving blows.

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

WHo's the loving rear end in a top hat with the RCP-90 camping the body armour again god-loving damnit I am NOT playing power weapons any more

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

power weapons + facility + no oddjob, forever

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

with a gameshark you could play in the whole facility from the single player mission. it was loving great

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

protip: you can blow up your remote mines without switching to the watch by pressing A+B. destroy your screenwatching bitch friends with this technique, or just explode mines in their face as soon as you throw them

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"
I remember there was a way to make your prox mines hang in the air when you drop them, forget how though.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Shnag posted:

I remember there was a way to make your prox mines hang in the air when you drop them, forget how though.

You could be creative with doors and make them float in mid air I remember that much. I also loved the fact the game was smart/cool enough to let you shoot mines with a Rocket Launcher or whatever else you wanted and they'd explode. (and slow the system down in its epic act of badassness)

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
*hides in vents above bathroom and loving refuses to come out*

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

*hides in vents above bathroom and loving refuses to come out*

best is learning how to climb back up into the vents once you've got some guns

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

InterFaced posted:

The Klobb loving blows.

Except on License to Kill. You can't escape the spread.

Also, everyone needs to own Perfect Dark on XBLA.

immolationsex
Sep 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW I ENJOY RUINING STEAK LIKE A GODDAMN BARBARIAN
hell yeah bro!!! siiick ! that was awesome

* punches friend in arm
* 'accidentally' touches friend's dick through his jeans
*it's the second time that night

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Frostwerks posted:

this is an honest question (lol) but i bought perfect dark and never could figure out how to play the single player? like it went striaght to a multiplayer style setup screen and there was no menu or anything to start a 1player campaign

"Small but Perfect Menu"

lol you need the expansion pack to play the campaign

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

gay skull posted:

"Small but Perfect Menu"

lol you need the expansion pack to play the campaign

My question is why isn't he playing it on XBLA? Awesome framerate, and online play.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

let's play WWF Warzone

don't worry, i'll tag you in eventually.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
*loads up Complex*

*stands behind 3 panes of glass with mines all over them*

*hits detonator when someone runs around the corner*

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
*shoots the ammo boxes to a corner so no one can get any more mines*

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Moridin920 posted:

*loads up Complex*

*stands behind 3 panes of glass with mines all over them*

*hits detonator when someone runs around the corner*

Where was the glass in Complex?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Friend of ours memorized the spawn order in every level so he could plant proximity mines where you were going to spawn next and begin a depressingly long chain reaction of auto kills that was very difficult to escape.

Lysator
Mar 1, 2015

As a Millennial I posted:

protip: you can blow up your remote mines without switching to the watch by pressing A+B. destroy your screenwatching bitch friends with this technique, or just explode mines in their face as soon as you throw them

This is genius! Would have loved to know that back then!

Hingehead
Nov 24, 2013

Tyson Tomko posted:

You could be creative with doors and make them float in mid air I remember that much. I also loved the fact the game was smart/cool enough to let you shoot mines with a Rocket Launcher or whatever else you wanted and they'd explode. (and slow the system down in its epic act of badassness)

Of course you also had to be careful with your own proximity mines, throwing it does not mean the mine will not blow up you, unlike the call of duty games when your mine does not detects you and your teammates.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

knives only in temple (or whatever it was called) and then you stand on opposite ends of the top level against the walls and just slowly lob knives at the other person

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
the klobb was named after ken lobb hence klobb, and the reason it shoots so fast and does such little damange is to reflect the spattering feeling one feels when ken lobbs sprays cum on ur bitch face

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you
I miss how awesome the explosions were in Goldeneye, every single item in the world was made of gasoline

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
I don't remember how Goldeneye controlled but it probably sucked. I know you had to use the C button to look or move or something.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

it controlled like poo poo yeah, which is why its incredibly hard to play these days, unless you are drunk with friends in which case its awesome again

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Yaos posted:

I don't remember how Goldeneye controlled but it probably sucked. I know you had to use the C button to look or move or something.

the common newb would stop and aim, the master would strafe until the bogey was within their sights, then pull the trigger

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

pretty soft girl posted:

I miss how awesome the explosions were in Goldeneye, every single item in the world was made of gasoline

yeah this hella owned.

Desk chair? Explosive as gently caress.
Computer table? Explosive as gently caress
Potted Fern? EXPLOSIVE AS gently caress

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
No, Zack.

No, Zack, we're not playing Basement.

Because-

Becau-

Because you put loving pr--

Because you always put a million prox--

Because you always put a million proxy mines in that one loving room.

I don't care if it's your "strategy"

I don't--

Fine, we'll play Basement, but you can't be Odd--

Just be anyone else other than Oddjob, OK?

I said be anyone--

Fine, be Oddjob, just don't glide everywhere, OK?

I said just don't--

I said--

gently caress you Zack.

gently caress you.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

also lol if you played as anything other than 'Helicopter Pilot'

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

pretty soft girl posted:

I loved the way it sounded, though.

Yeah multiplayer was all about abusing the auto aim while strafing around corners.

Effsix
Aug 5, 2011

Keep it moving, chicken people! These knockoff purses ain't gonna make themselves!
You'd better sit this one out, there's 4 of us and the Archives can only support 3 players.

Effsix
Aug 5, 2011

Keep it moving, chicken people! These knockoff purses ain't gonna make themselves!

Jastiger posted:

*shoots the ammo boxes to a corner so no one can get any more mines*

*shoot the armour away to a new spawning location so everyone's like wheres the armour but you've hidden it round the corner like a bastard*

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Effsix posted:

*shoot the armour away to a new spawning location so everyone's like wheres the armour but you've hidden it round the corner like a bastard*

That was the best part, for sure.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Edit: Didn't shooting the armour lower the amount of it you picked up?

In-game death to anyone who didn't play Goldeneye with the 1.2 ("Honey") control scheme.

That's not a proclamation, it's a fact; aim with the stick, move with the c-buttons, you plebs.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Mar 10, 2015

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
*beats friend to death with controller*

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
representing the crew espousing the insane detail in Perfect Dark for a game from its time. I don't think you fought the same enemies between any two missions (maybe except area 51) but like the datadyne thugs all had different uniforms depending on where you were fighting them, I remember multiplayer even had some outfit that wasn't even in the singleplayer game, some kind of purple/orange outfit with a full helmet.

in the Chicago singleplayer level there is a whole area that you aren't really supposed to get to, and has no importance to the mission at all. It's a fully modeled bar/night club with tables and everything but the front door is locked, the trick I think was to try to alert one of the guards inside and sometimes they would run out to kill you, unlocking the door in the process. There is even a bathroom with working stall doors, and I think the level's cheese was in one of the toilets.

oh yeah another insane thing this game was good at that I dont think ive seen in more than a couple of games since: in multiplayer you could choose from any of the player or NPC models. while in Goldeneye, all the first persion views had bond's tuxedo arms, but in Perfect Dark every loving model had its own first person arms. For years I never understood why hardly anyone even tried to do that again.

just remembered something dumb about mario 64 from my childhood..

I had this friend growing up named Ryan who was exactly the type of crappy friend to invite you over to his place just to watch him play Diablo 1 or whatever the gently caress else, and he'd spaz if you touched his computer at all. If it was multiplayer i'd get in on it, but even then he'd get pissed off when we'd play mortal kombat on his genesis and I'd kill him with a regular character while he entered the cheat to play as motaro

anyway, one day i went over and he was convinced by someone on the internet circa 1997, that there was an extra star in mario 64 after you had collected all 120 or however many there were, I can't remember. He thought that you had to do a ground stomp (jump and press Z) on juuuuust the right part of the bridge in front of the castle, where the ground and the stone bridge polygons meet outside the moat, and the bridge was supposed to collapse permanently and you'd get the secret star. I remember him doing this for hours and getting increasingly angrier and angrier that it wasn't working.

Effsix
Aug 5, 2011

[quote="Rupert Buttermilk"
In-game death to anyone who didn't play Goldeneye with the 1.2 ("Honey") control scheme.

That's not a proclamation, it's a fact; aim with the stick, move with the c-buttons, you plebs.
[/quote]

That's backwards, up-and-down-look was always c buttons for me. To play all other shooters I had to unlearn down-is-up (like plane controls have) and become backwards. All through Goldeneye I had up is down and down is up. Like a pilot

Most modern cod style fps have left-is-move and right stick is-looking by default, but every controller should have a dedicated grenade button.

and now

Superdragon was good, but the dragon was more fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
Perfect dark combat sim complex with meatsims was the best

• Locked thread