Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

Waiting for this is killing me. It's like my dream game (action horror set in ruined and diseased steampunk convention).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Is that, like...a gesture put into a message? :aaa: Can I now point towards the cliff while writing 'try jumping'?

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

turtlecrunch posted:

-Watch the Vampire Hunter D movies if you are into anime at all (the 1st one has aged pretty poorly, the 2nd one is...alright)

Given the inspiration Dark Souls took from Berserk, I would find it incredibly fitting if From looked at Vampire Hunter D for Bloodborne.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I feel like Lucatiel's hat in DS2 was already a nod to D.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
https://watch.zentrick.com/qxgofC/

This was so spoilery (particularly the single-player parts I checked) I stopped watching it, so there you go.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

turtlecrunch posted:

https://watch.zentrick.com/qxgofC/

This was so spoilery (particularly the single-player parts I checked) I stopped watching it, so there you go.

Oh SNAP this is crazy. Tells you the names of zones, bosses of those zones, and has footage of those zones we haven't seen yet.

Boss: Brick Troll
Boss: Blood-starved Beast

YOU DIED

Footage of the chalice dungeons reminds me of The Abyss in DS2, but much bigger.

And it just gave me a code for a bloodborne playstation theme!

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Mar 9, 2015

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

turtlecrunch posted:

Stuff to do till Bloodborne comes out:
-Watch Bloodborne the Movie

Brotherhood of the Wolf is a cool movie and it features a lot of tricorne hats and pretty baller costuming in general.

Watch it in ~original French~.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot
Demons souls is very good but the best game is ninja blade

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
So can we be werewolves or was that just a rumor

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Monolith. posted:

We still know very little about how the game works.

My guess is that you'll become a werewolf-esque thing as this game's form of being Hollow or Spirit/Body form.

They mentioned that you can succumb to the plague of the beast if you use too much cursed blood, and that people could invade you if you do? We don't know for sure past that.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Zaphod42 posted:

And it just gave me a code for a bloodborne playstation theme!

Were you able to activate it? I keep getting an error message.

VVV Yeah I just read that, nevermind.

North America: J4ND-DJNH-K3C7
Europe: PBGA-HJNC-LQ99
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ffAP-u_UGc

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 9, 2015

EvilSlug
Dec 5, 2004
Not crazy, just evil.
^^^ Theme's not active or available until March 11th, it said.

Monolith. posted:

The developers have hinted at use of tainted blood to power up; but it comes with a price of making you more beastly and increasing the game's difficulty. They followed that up by saying the taint could be removed by use of human blood taken from NPCs or other players. That's it. There's a 'leak' with more information; but it seemed made up based off the official statements. The leak says that the tainted path is a permanent decision and that you leave a red phantom in other people's games when you die, etc. Seems like wishful thinking or trolling when compared to the official statements on the systems it refers to.

EDIT: To clarify the above, the developers explained the hardcore mode as a thing where you feed your heart blood to power up your 'beast', have permadeath, and in very rare instances of really powerful beast characters can leave a boss in other people's games upon death; but they described it as a NG+ only option. The leak was about it being the very first decision you get in the game and werewolves and leaving a red phantom every time you die.

EvilSlug fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Mar 9, 2015

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Time to start seeing if I can find a decent refurbished PS4 anywhere around here.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

The Forbidden Woods area shown in the interactive trailer looks like the place shown in the original leaked trailer.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

That'd be cool if tainted blood worked like the bonfire ascetic, powering up enemies, but also giving you boosts to attack and defense at the expense of life/defense.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

EvilSlug posted:

^^^ Theme's not active or available until March 11th, it said.

The developers have hinted at use of tainted blood to power up; but it comes with a price of making you more beastly and increasing the game's difficulty. They followed that up by saying the taint could be removed by use of human blood taken from NPCs or other players. That's it. There's a 'leak' with more information; but it seemed made up based off the official statements. The leak says that the tainted path is a permanent decision and that you leave a red phantom in other people's games when you die, etc. Seems like wishful thinking or trolling when compared to the official statements on the systems it refers to.

EDIT: To clarify the above, the developers explained the hardcore mode as a thing where you feed your heart blood to power up your 'beast', have permadeath, and in very rare instances of really powerful beast characters can leave a boss in other people's games upon death; but they described it as a NG+ only option. The leak was about it being the very first decision you get in the game and werewolves and leaving a red phantom every time you die.

sounds like burning an ascetic more than it soundsl ike turning into a warwelf

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I can't seem to find any official source for the whole "tainted blood/become a beast" thing. Anyone know what's the original source?

In the videos shown so far it didn't look like the character would change form after death, but I'm guessing that Insight counter will be the game's equivalent to Humanity and be affected by death in some way.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I can't seem to find any official source for the whole "tainted blood/become a beast" thing. Anyone know what's the original source?

In the videos shown so far it didn't look like the character would change form after death, but I'm guessing that Insight counter will be the game's equivalent to Humanity and be affected by death in some way.

It's from a packet of rumors some guy posted on reddit that he said he got from a pastebin which was "quickly deleted". Several of the other rumors it offered have been subsequently proven incorrect and absolutely nothing about tainted blood has been shown in any official material or interviews.

We do know that Insight goes up when that guy wanders into the Darkbeast's boss room in the IGN footage.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Pretty neat that they're giving away a free theme

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

TWO WEEKS TO BLOODBORNE

:getin:

Ruddha
Jan 21, 2006

when you realize how cool and retarded everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky

Zaphod42 posted:

TWO WEEKS TO BLOODBORNE

The Winter of Gaming Departs

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Zaphod42 posted:

TWO WEEKS TO BLOODBORNE

This and PT/Silent Hills were the games that finally pushed me into replacing the dying bedroom bluray player with a ps4. Gotta finish the new Dragon Age asap, because it's basically not going to have a place in my brain once this thing drops.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

PSN: joe124013

Gonna pick this up, hope I don't end up sucking too bad. I tried getting in the DS games before, but never got far, although I liked the style and gameplay ok. Besides, my PS4's just been collecting dust since I quit Destiny last year, and hopefully if this does well they'll work on other PS4 games (armored core 6...).

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

alansmithee posted:

PSN: joe124013

Gonna pick this up, hope I don't end up sucking too bad. I tried getting in the DS games before, but never got far, although I liked the style and gameplay ok. Besides, my PS4's just been collecting dust since I quit Destiny last year, and hopefully if this does well they'll work on other PS4 games (armored core 6...).

Considering 99% of this thread is super super hardcore DeS or DS1/2 fans, its gonna be really interesting to hear your opinion and impressions going into Bloodborne as a blind newbie.

I'd recommend you playing Dark Souls because its one of the best games ever made, but at the same time it'll be cool to have somebody unspoiled around. Also the updated scholar of the first sin Dark Souls 2 will be coming to PS4 in a bit, so if you like bloodborne, you could then go back and see what we were all going on about before.

I'm gonna warn you right now, the first few hours are probably going to be a little stressful. You're going to die. You're going to die A LOT. You're going to die and lose all your experience and hate everything.

And then you're going to triumph. And oh, what a triumph it is. The first few bosses you beat feel like injecting adrenaline right into your heart. You'll also get way way better at 3rd person action games, and unfortunately all other videogames will be ruined for you for the rest of time because nothing else will measure up.

ROBO_ERECTUS
Sep 5, 2007

Let me take you for a ride.
Dark Souls ruined Skyrim for me.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Psycobladder posted:

Dark Souls ruined Skyrim for me.

Dark Souls ruined a lot of things. Like Dark Souls II hey yo.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I basically only like the Souls series because I apparently spent six hours in an Ambien blackout trying to get through the Undead Burg. I tried it the next day, noticed my playtime had gone up by quite a bit, and I was all of a sudden good at the game with none of the frustration!

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

Important things for new people going into Bloodborne to remember:

What works for someone else might not work for you, so if you keep failing, innovate.

Dying is part of the process but is useless if you don't learn from it. Try to understand why each death was made (just because an enemy killed you doesn't necessarily mean it's the enemy's fault you died.)

There is no wrong way to play so don't let anyone tell you that what you do is wrong or bad.

Pay attention to where you go and what you do.

Don't let a single bad experience (i.e. an early invasion you weren't ready for) ruin a feature for you.

Any amount of progress is always progress. Getting all the way to a boss and dying and having to restart means it will be easier the second time, I promise.

Edit:
vvvvvvvvvv
I'd like that.

opulent fountain fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Mar 10, 2015

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

a harpy posted:

What works for someone else might not work for you, so if you keep failing, innovate.

Dying is part of the process but is useless if you don't learn from it. Try to understand why each death was made (just because an enemy killed you doesn't necessarily mean it's the enemy's fault you died.)

There is no wrong way to play so don't let anyone tell you that what you do is wrong or bad.

Don't let a single bad experience (i.e. an early invasion you weren't ready for) ruin a feature for you.

Any amount of progress is always progress. Getting all the way to a boss and dying and having to restart means it will be easier the second time, I promise.

This should be quoted at the top of the new thread.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Apparently my problem with Souls games is that I don't learn from my mistakes. It's also my problem with life.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!
Has there been word on whether we're getting DS1 or DS2 respawns? I can live with either but I'd prefer infinite respawns for item farming purposes.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Vanrushal posted:

Has there been word on whether we're getting DS1 or DS2 respawns? I can live with either but I'd prefer infinite respawns for item farming purposes.

No word, but given Dks2 now has infinite respawns via the covenant of champions, I think it's safe to say they're going to be infinite.

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

I really hope they are because it felt like way more of a mild inconvenience than a feature in DS2. It's one of the things that makes me feel DS2 was over-designed.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Miyazaki also seemed adamant about the idea of the boss and the path to him being two parts of the same challenge, so I don't think he would go the DS2 route.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
Hi all I'm aiming to do the first lp of this. .. wish me luck

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
The Dark Souls 2 team was obviously really ambitious about how much time they expected players to put into their game, with elements like grinding rare drops from 1-time spawning enemies and having the fires on the Majula Map turn blue after NG+7, and having enemies depopulate over time was probably a mechanic designed to force the player to higher levels of NG+ and have them face greater challenges. It fails because NG+ has like a third of the new content it needs to have to be really interesting (which is probably just an issue of them running out of time) - I really hope that with SotFS they'll remix not only all of the first playthrough, but also add in a bunch more changes to NG+ to make it actually worth heading into.

Thematically, the idea of being able to completely empty out the world and basically turn Drangleic into a ghost town is pretty cool, but definitely more of a 'Souls' thing then a Bloodborne thing.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

a harpy posted:

Edit:
vvvvvvvvvv
I'd like that.

Adding to this:

Do not be afraid of death. Embrace your deaths. Learn to laugh and smile at your own deaths; they're going to happen. When you die carelessly you can feel foolish, but otherwise death should always be a learning process. Every time you die you should stop and think, "okay, what can I do different this time?". The Souls games are the opposite of button-mashers or death-zerg games. If you died then 95% of the time it was entirely your own fault, and you could have done something to avoid it.

Pay attention to details in the levels. Things like traps can often be anticipated, avoided, and even used against your enemy. Secrets are hidden literally EVERYWHERE. Exploring is greatly rewarded, and backtracking is sometimes required, but not often.

Pay attention to details in your enemies. Most enemies have a wind-up animation that acts like a poker tell to warn you of when its safe to attack and when you need to think defensively. Some enemies have a specific weakness, if it makes sense then try it out. Putting fire on your weapon against enemies weak to fire can make a really hard fight suddenly easy.

Pay attention to details in bosses. Everything about enemy animations and wind-up tells applies to bosses, but even moreso. Lots of bosses are extremely intimidating at first, but after you get to know them you realize they're not nearly as bad as you thought. Getting up in a boss' poo poo or getting behind or even under them sometimes is actually much safer than standing a distance away from them. Many bosses have lunges or jump attacks specifically to gently caress up people who are trying to run away.

Try to be brave.

Be smart about when you use potions, nothing is instantaneous. If you need to potion during a tense boss battle, try to position some level geometry between you and the boss so if the boss jumps for you, you'll have a "shield". Many bosses will instantly switch targets to focus on you if you use a potion.

Do not neglect any of your options. Use ranged when you can, use bows, use guns, use magic, use everything. If you want to be a badass who only does melee or only does magic, feel free, but you're hobbling yourself and making certain parts of the game harder. If you're in a tight spot, use a smaller weapon so you don't hit the walls all the time. In a big open area use a ranged weapon to pull enemies out of their spawn locations one by one.

The best weapons in the game are usually not super-rare boss weapons, but rather stupid common weapons that you have upgraded as far as they can go. Try out all the different weapons you can, don't be afraid to experiment. Each weapon has its own fighting style and you need to find what works for you. Then build your stats around that.

You can always gain more levels and it'll make things a little easier, but the main difficulty is you as a player learning the game. People beat the Souls' series at level 1, don't feel like you ever have to grind XP.

If you're getting your absolute rear end handed to you, try going somewhere else. Often in the Souls' games you have access to many different places at the same time, they're very open games and non-linear at times. Zones follow a difficulty curve, so if you accidentally stumble into the harder zones first, you're going to die over and over and you won't have fun. Feel free to try anyways if you want to, sometimes there's really good rewards to be had. But generally if you're doing a ton, try going back and exploring to see if there's another path or way to go that you missed.

Don't be afraid to co-op and summon people to help you for difficult boss fights. Having players co-op with you makes a very difficult boss fight MUCH more manageable.

Don't be afraid to co-op and offer your own help to others. In the previous Souls games, being a phantom allowed you to play with all the consequences of death removed. You could explore the zone safely if you were afraid, knowing that death costs you nothing, and practice getting through the area or beating the boss. If you're having a hard time, try offering yourself as a summon and then follow the host and see where he goes and what he does; you can learn from other players.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Mar 10, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Vanrushal posted:

Scrree posted:

The Dark Souls 2 team was obviously really ambitious about how much time they expected players to put into their game, with elements like grinding rare drops from 1-time spawning enemies and having the fires on the Majula Map turn blue after NG+7, and having enemies depopulate over time was probably a mechanic designed to force the player to higher levels of NG+ and have them face greater challenges. It fails because NG+ has like a third of the new content it needs to have to be really interesting (which is probably just an issue of them running out of time) - I really hope that with SotFS they'll remix not only all of the first playthrough, but also add in a bunch more changes to NG+ to make it actually worth heading into.

Thematically, the idea of being able to completely empty out the world and basically turn Drangleic into a ghost town is pretty cool, but definitely more of a 'Souls' thing then a Bloodborne thing.

Yeah the not-respawning was clearly a mechanic to help people who were getting owned and also to shuffle players who were really good forward so they would stop farming and play NG+, and it didn't really do a very good job of either of those things.

I don't think we'll see it again. I hope not.

DS2 tried a lot of things, some of them worked, some of them didn't. I don't think SM will return as-is either, its too awkward.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Heads up, if you have a bloodborne preorder, you can see the file size in your download list on the webstore. Bloodborne clocks in at 25 gigs right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

If the game ends up anything like Souls, there needs to be a blurb about upgrading equipment over levels. Since part of the fun is figuring poo poo out, I think stuff like which weapons tend to be best is better left discovered by the player, but overall, yes to all that. Engaging in jolly cooperation is something newbies need to be no stranger to.

Scrree posted:

This brings up interesting points. It's actually really obvious on your first play through that you're expected to do it again, almost as if NG combined with NG+ was the complete package. That's not to say DS2 wasn't a fully realized game, but the limited respawn, optional content, soul memory, new enemies, scaling of abilities, and other features all seemed to either intentionally give you no control over the pace of your progress or deliberately ask you to progress further for access. DS2 was a funky game with some weird design that isn't necessarily bad but I think many people found it at odds with it's predecessors.

Whatever we get out of Bloodborne I'm sure I will love, but I'm hoping for something that feels new.

• Locked thread