Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
Well I sure killed this thread stone dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

What about airbnb Zephro? You can sometimes find entire apartments in there available to rent for short periods of time.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Zephro posted:

Well I sure killed this thread stone dead.

Slow news day maybe? Hell of a new page post though.

Also I have to admit I found your request a bit strange. What are these landlords supposed to do with the rooms the rest of the week? You may as well just ask for B&Bs if it's only for two nights. With that said, there are mid-week renting options available - try MondaytoFriday.com for instance.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Kegluneq posted:

Slow news day maybe? Hell of a new page post though.

Also I have to admit I found your request a bit strange. What are these landlords supposed to do with the rooms the rest of the week? You may as well just ask for B&Bs if it's only for two nights. With that said, there are mid-week renting options available - try MondaytoFriday.com for instance.
Well, I would guess they can lease them to other people working different days of the week. Basically a hotel, I guess. Just thought it was worth asking.

Airbnb is a good shout too.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Your best bet might be to search spareroom or mondaytofriday for 5 day lets and then see if there is anywhere willing to take you on a shorter term.

Judoon Platoon
Nov 1, 2010

quote:

@adamsherwin10: EXCLUSIVE: BBC suspends Jeremy Clarkson over fracas with producer. Top Gear will not be broadcast this Sunday - more at @Independent follows
https://twitter.com/adamsherwin10/status/575334420212772864

:rms:

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

A fracas basically means he hit someone right? Or is that a rumpus?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I still can't believe it's pronounced fracar.

e/ imo you need at least three people for a rumpus, while a fracas could just be one dude being noisily murdered by a bunch of crows or something

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Renaissance Robot posted:

Pretty sure it's a word only ever used in newsprint.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

At least it wasn't a romp.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

e/ imo you need at least three people for a rumpus, while a fracas could just be one dude being noisily murdered by a bunch of crows or something
Is rumpus pronounced rumpur then?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Official guide for this sort of thing

Only registered members can see post attachments!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Party Boat posted:

A fracas basically means he hit someone right? Or is that a rumpus?

In Jeremy Clarkson's case it could also simply constitute him speaking at you for an extended period. Either what he says or the voice he says it in are likely to cause bodily harm at some point.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Fracas means hes had a fight.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I'm sure it's all just flimflam and hoolala

gorki
Aug 9, 2014

Some of us pronounce our Rs :mad:

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Nigel Fracas

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

gorki posted:

Some of us pronounce our Rs :mad:
Only one way to settle this. Outside in the cah pahk.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

How was Tony Blair on social issues? I wasn't really politically aware during his government so the main thing I know about his administration was the Iraq War.

I ask because on the Daily politics, I saw that a Scottish Labour MP for Dundee East was offered £1000 by him and she turned it down, presumably because it was Blair's money.

When asked about this David Lammy said he stood by their record during those years IIRC, so I was curious what Blair was known for other than the Iraq invasion.

e: speeleng

PiCroft fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Mar 10, 2015

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
Are they just going to have the other two on it in future? That might be nice, it's not a bad show when they're all just reviewing cars and doing silly challenges and making fun of each other, it's basically Scrapheap Challenge but with more cars. The other two are pretty benign, they just go "omg Jeremy what are you LIKE you can't say that on TV, you're saying what we're all thinking" when he says his usual lazy horrible poo poo.

Or are they going to get a replacement? :ohdear:

edit: ^^The Blair government did do some good stuff on social issues, like introducing civil partnerships, introducing a national minimum wage, making stalking and some kinds of domestic abuse a crime, having women-only shortlists for some constituencies, and the Equality Act 2010. However, there was the Iraq War and a lot of anti-terrorism legislation that was brought in after 9/11 and 7/7 that did a lot of harm to civil rights too. And PFI contracts were a big thing under Blair's government.

Stottie Kyek fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Mar 10, 2015

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Sure Start (day care centres for kids, with some outreach work, initially aimed at deprived areas) and a big increase in NHS funding are two other things that spring to mind.

edit: the whole tax credit system came in under Blair/Brown too. The working bits were controversial (because they basically amount to government topping-up of poverty pay). But they were big.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

PiCroft posted:

How was Tony Blair on social issues? I wasn't really politically aware during his government so the main thing I know about his administration was the Iraq War.
What kind of social issues? He had Blunkett as Home Secretary for a large part of his stint as PM, and seemed to go along with the whole "pff, civil rights" thing, he supported ID cards and stricter asylum rules, and tended on the authoritarian side when it came to things like gambling, smoking, and scary things that might scare people (like 'information useful to terrorists'). You might consider some of those restrictions to be 'social good' or not. He seemed okayish on LGBT rights.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
Wasn't the minimum wage a big deal when labour got in?

Edit: Not really sure if its a social issue though.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Guavanaut posted:

He seemed okayish on LGBT rights.

Blair was more of a "go along with the flow" person in LGBT rights than an active supporter. His government was explicitly opposed to same-sex marriage.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The Human Rights Act considerably streamlined the legal process if your rights were being violated. So that was nice.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

There is an argument that something broke in Tony's brain around about 9/11. You look at his first few years, where he passed a minimum wage and the HRA, and then look at a few years ago when he was advising the president of Kazakhstan how to damage-control a massacre of striking workers.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

TinTower posted:

Blair was more of a "go along with the flow" person in LGBT rights than an active supporter. His government was explicitly opposed to same-sex marriage.

Eh, that's better than nothing. They repealed Section 28, lowered age of consent to match hetrosexual AOC, introduced civil partnerships, allowed gay couples, or single individuals (gay or otherwise) to adopt, and various other anti-discrimination acts. Stepping stones.

His government might have been remembered as simply "okay", if it weren't for his loving toxic laws on civil liberties, and dragging everyone into Iraq. And then lying about it, amid all the other sleaze. He went crazy, all right.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

TinTower posted:

There is an argument that something broke in Tony's brain around about 9/11. You look at his first few years, where he passed a minimum wage and the HRA, and then look at a few years ago when he was advising the president of Kazakhstan how to damage-control a massacre of striking workers.

He was a closet Catholic who hates Islam who had the opportunity to join a crusade and took it.

I remember being at Glastonbury festival in 1997 and everyone was ridiculously optimistic about Tony Blair and the labour government.

Now look at it, PFI, sold all the gold, war legacy. loving hosed it up didn't he.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

TinTower posted:

Obviously while the world was focused on events in New York, Our Tony was kidnapped and replaced by a lizard doppelganger.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Pesky Splinter posted:

Eh, that's better than nothing. They repealed Section 28, lowered age of consent to match hetrosexual AOC, introduced civil partnerships, allowed gay couples, or single individuals (gay or otherwise) to adopt, and various other anti-discrimination acts. Stepping stones.

His government might have been remembered as simply "okay", if it weren't for his loving toxic laws on civil liberties, and dragging everyone into Iraq. And then lying about it, amid all the other sleaze. He went crazy, all right.

Labour also killed off private member attempts at killing Section 28, equal AoC (in opposition), and civil partnerships.

Their record on trans rights is piss-poor too. They were forced by Strasbourg to pass the Gender Recognition Act, after all.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

TinTower posted:

It was that Bush kid, he was a bad influence on our Tony.

He's a good boy really!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

JFairfax posted:

He was a closet Catholic who hates Islam who had the opportunity to join a crusade and took it.
God told him to join the crusade. He said so himself.

JFairfax posted:

I remember being at Glastonbury festival in 1997 and everyone was ridiculously optimistic about Tony Blair and the labour government.
18 years of Tory government will get people to be ridiculously optimistic about a lot of things. Sometimes those things turn out to be New Labour.

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

Ban on foxhunting was early newLab wasn't it? I think there were also some bans on forms of cruel animal testing?
Free tv for pensioners, bus passes and such. Free nursery places for 3 and 4 year olds.
Dunno that devolution is really a social issue but it was kinda fabulous.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

TinTower posted:

It was the pressures of containing the internal contradictions in his brain that the Iraq War caused. In the end, he retained his self-image by insisting that he was right until he thoroughly believed it himself and it hardened into a permanent personality change. Now, he always reminds me of a more competent Iain Duncan Smith: they both display the same shiny-eyed indifference to mere facts in tv interviews and a strangely religious belief in their own righteousness.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
Freedom of information act was also new labor, Blair later said it was hes' biggest mistake

tdrules
Jan 12, 2014
FOI requests to councils keep the local nutters busy so I fully support the act.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
Yeah the Hunting Ban was Blair, though he went to great lengths to look like he wasn't supporting it while actually supporting it. Still, seeing some Countryside Alliance types get clobbered by the filth was very funny.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

JFairfax posted:

Now look at it, PFI, sold all the gold, war legacy. loving hosed it up didn't he.

THIIIIINGS

CAN ONLY GET BETTEEERRRRR :smugmrgw:

On the topic of blind optimism, what's this horse of a different colour Blue Labour I've heard tell about?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

THIIIIINGS

CAN ONLY GET BETTEEERRRRR :smugmrgw:

On the topic of blind optimism, what's this horse of a different colour Blue Labour I've heard tell about?

Why would Labourites appealing to Tory sensibilities be a source of optimism?

Edit: Wait it's Tony Blair talk, compulsory link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKSllUPbzCI

Edit2: Oh no I watched it all again :smith:

namesake fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Mar 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Hey UKMT, I've just released a short documentary interviewing activists representing the occupation at Warwick back in December, thought you might want to have a look.

https://vimeo.com/121814367

• Locked thread