Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
Isn't 80% of the complaining here that USB-C accessories don't exist yet? Apple is probably the first major OEM to ship machines, give it time. I guarantee you'll see some belkin hub/dock in 3 months and a shitload of monoprice cables soon enough.

The USB drive thing might solve itself too. I'm sure Sandisk would be more than happy to sell people uninterested in converter cables another 32GB drive with a USB-C plug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

MrBond posted:

Isn't 80% of the complaining here that USB-C accessories don't exist yet? Apple is probably the first major OEM to ship machines, give it time. I guarantee you'll see some belkin hub/dock in 3 months and a shitload of monoprice cables soon enough.

The USB drive thing might solve itself too. I'm sure Sandisk would be more than happy to sell people uninterested in converter cables another 32GB drive with a USB-C plug.

Probably more than 80%. You can bet that USB hubs will exist, flash drives will exist. Lacie just got done announcing their external Type C hard drives (http://www.macworld.com/article/2895037/lacie-announces-usb-type-c-mobile-drives-to-match-apples-12-inch-macbook.html#tk.rss_all)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I do that now and it looks a little goofy.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Unless I'm doing something where I want the MOST SCREEN POSSIBLE (Xcode) the option in between is the sweet spot, at least on the 13" rMBP. I imagine it'll be similar on the new MacBook.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Pivo posted:

This thread is insufferable after an announcement. Can you all stop hating each other for a moment? No one's forcing you to buy anything. Your opinions not being the same as other buddy's opinions doesn't mean everyone and everything sucks. It's just computers.

I bought a refurb 13" rMBP back in January and got a free upgrade. Now its obsolete.

Thanks, crapple.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Bob Morales posted:

Monitors, hard drives, what else do you want?

They're no better than displayport for monitors.
They're no better than usb3 for HDDs for 99% of uses, and cost laughably more.

For the 1% where you'd benefit, you should probably be using a desktop with internal drives, or else a fibre channel / iSCSI connection to an array.

The potential of thunderbolt was true PCIe level expansion, like external GPUs for laptops. There is nothing close to this that I've seen.

The biggest benefit of thunderbolt is just a tidy desk - i.e. doing the job of a docking station.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Hey guys, just gonna float on into this thread and say "lol one port"

*flaps arms and flies away, propelled by farts*

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

ALFbrot posted:

Hey guys, just gonna float on into this thread and say "lol one port"

*flaps arms and flies away, propelled by farts*

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm from the future and guys I was so angry when Apple released their new ultraportable, port-free goldbook and to boost sales,
1. stopped selling their other computers who all had ports up the wazoo
2. physically invaded my home and stole the laptop I'm currently using, which has many ports and also a DVD drive
3. made it illegal to use non-Mac computers

One time when I magically flew through the air in a steel bird to visit my aunt, I actually, imagine this, had to read a book, because I exclusively own movies on DVD or VHS and the inflight movies were all a bit dull. gently caress Crapple.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Excuse me, if you're not not buying the Macbook you shouldn't be criticizing people who aren't.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I love this level of discourse.

Person 1: "This product isn't very good."
Person 2: "Why you gotta be so angry."
Person 1: "I just said it wasn't good."
Person 2: "LOL nerd rage."

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

smackfu posted:

I love this level of discourse.

Person 1: "This product isn't very good."
Person 2: "Why you gotta be so angry."
Person 1: "I just said it wasn't good."
Person 2: "LOL nerd rage."

Don't forget "Person 2: Well if you're not going to buy it then you should just shut up about it and not offer any criticism or discussion because why the gently caress do you even care since you're not buying it?"

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
The hardest thing for me to wrap my head around is how the MacBook Air has an i5 in it with two USB ports and the new MacBook has an M in it with one USB-C port. I'm not trying to argue that it's a bad decision because it is actually a pretty neat machine (no fans, super thin) but it really doesn't fit in their ecosystem as it's set up right now.

It makes me wonder why they didn't completely scrap the MacBook Air and MacBook lines and replace them with new 11"/12"/13" MacBook models. If you wanted more power you would have to upgrade to a MacBook Pro. It wouldn't be the first time that Apple has completely redesigned their computer lineup and it makes a lot more sense than making Air the more powerful machine. You could have even scrapped the $899 pricepoint for the 11" MBA and replaced it with a $999 11" MacBook with comparable specs.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Rabble posted:

The hardest thing for me to wrap my head around is how the MacBook Air has an i5 in it with two USB ports and the new MacBook has an M in it with one USB-C port. I'm not trying to argue that it's a bad decision because it is actually a pretty neat machine (no fans, super thin) but it really doesn't fit in their ecosystem as it's set up right now.

It makes me wonder why they didn't completely scrap the MacBook Air and MacBook lines and replace them with new 11"/12"/13" MacBook models. If you wanted more power you would have to upgrade to a MacBook Pro. It wouldn't be the first time that Apple has completely redesigned their computer lineup and it makes a lot more sense than making Air the more powerful machine. You could have even scrapped the $899 pricepoint for the 11" MBA and replaced it with a $999 11" MacBook with comparable specs.

This was exactly my criticism. It makes no sense that the mid-range notebook line is smaller/thinner/lighter/less expandable than the ultraportable line which was DESIGNED to be the smaller/thinner/lighter/less expandable option.

The only thing I can think of is either the MacBook is replacing the Air outright, or the next Air will be even more LOL TINY. But as it stands now, the lines are pretty out of sync.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Rabble posted:

I think the reason for USB-C only might be that the space to handle those ports is instead used for battery. Also, Apple's MO is usually to keep the older models on sale and gradually phase them out.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

wooger posted:

They're no better than displayport for monitors.
They're no better than usb3 for HDDs for 99% of uses, and cost laughably more.

For the 1% where you'd benefit, you should probably be using a desktop with internal drives, or else a fibre channel / iSCSI connection to an array.

The potential of thunderbolt was true PCIe level expansion, like external GPUs for laptops. There is nothing close to this that I've seen.

The biggest benefit of thunderbolt is just a tidy desk - i.e. doing the job of a docking station.

But it DOES do true PCIe expansion, with boxes that you can just plug cards into, just not with GPU's in OSX.

And plenty of manufacturers are making really nice audio interfaces with huge channel counts, super low latency and onboard DSP that you couldn't without a PCIe card before. You can hook a 13" MBP up to 64 channels worth of Symphony IO, 64 channels of ProTools HD native, or connect to pro video stations from Avid, MOTU, etc.

But you're right, for most people they don't need Thunderbolt, they probably could get by with just one USB-C porwwaaaaait a minute

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Thunderbolt is cool despite being niche as gently caress and I can't imagine doing a fiber channel RAID in this day and age.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Ain't no internet slapfight like a Mac hardware internet slapfight

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Cingulate posted:

I'm from the future and guys I was so angry when Apple released their new ultraportable, port-free goldbook and to boost sales,
2. physically invaded my home and stole the laptop I'm currently using, which has many ports and also a DVD drive

One time when I magically flew through the air in a steel bird to visit my aunt, I actually, imagine this, had to read a book, because I exclusively own movies on DVD or VHS and the inflight movies were all a bit dull. gently caress Crapple.
This is the best post in the last 10 pages.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

New Macbook is the most, uh, first gen apple product I've seen in a while; a singular vision rapidly becoming a reality but unfeasible for most practical applications. I'm in the market for a laptop due to possibly having to move away for a few months for work; being as it'd be my only computer though I think I'll spring for the 13" rMBP for the versatility, especially since they updated it.

I'm very interested to try out the force touch trackpad since that'll be on the rMBP; hopefully the haptic feedback is good. From the articles I've read it's apparently fooled people into thinking it was a real click so I'm optimistic. The keyboard on the new macbook I imagine feeling like a very big blackberry keyboard with slightly more travel, IDK. Really want to play with it since I'm still impressed with the thinness of the airs and rMBPs.

Was gonna say that the new macbook was a really good product for the average consumer but then I remembered that even non-techy people have a USB drive they use occasionally, and most people I know plug their laptop into the TV every so often to watch internet content. I guess it's good for grandma maybe? Or a family with good wifi and some investment in cloud services? It's definitely possible to make it work, just something you wouldn't want to be dealing with every day for practical applications. I can't imagine using this thing for pretty much any kind of job considering they still make laptops with VGA ports and the other week I saw one with an honest-to-god rs232 connector.

Once type-c takes off (which it should to some degree considering that USB connectors being irritating to plugin is pretty much a mainstream meme at this point) I see it being tolerable (not for work though, since it'll be years if not decades before type c penetrates to anywhere with an IT budget I bet.) Could really use a second port though; maybe it was something to do with power delivery being difficult with two ports so rather than label one 'power' like a PC OEM they just put a single one in?

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Mar 10, 2015

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Generic Monk posted:

I remembered that even non-techy people have a USB drive they use occasionally, and most people I know plug their laptop into the TV every so often to watch internet content. I guess it's good for grandma maybe?

If you can buy a $1299 laptop you can buy the $80 dongle or the $40 aftermarket one that's bound to come out.

If you have a non-retina MacBook Pro you'd have to buy a TB->HDMI adapter to hook it up to a TV to watch Netflix. Hell even the Mini requires you to buy either and HDMI->DVI or TB->DVI adapter to hook it up to a 'regular' desktop monitor.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Cingulate posted:

That sounds awful. Where can I express my displeasure about these things?

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Bob Morales posted:

If you can buy a $1299 laptop you can buy the $80 dongle or the $40 aftermarket one that's bound to come out.

If you have a non-retina MacBook Pro you'd have to buy a TB->HDMI adapter to hook it up to a TV to watch Netflix. Hell even the Mini requires you to buy either and HDMI->DVI or TB->DVI adapter to hook it up to a 'regular' desktop monitor.

True enough; hopefully consumers are smart enough to realize that before buying as opposed to it arriving and them getting the unpleasant surprise that their USB drive doesn't fit in the hole. Maybe I'm just projecting my dislike of (well, slight distaste for) adapters onto the general public.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Generic Monk posted:

True enough; hopefully consumers are smart enough to realize that before buying as opposed to it arriving and them getting the unpleasant surprise that their USB drive doesn't fit in the hole. Maybe I'm just projecting my dislike of (well, slight distaste for) adapters onto the general public.
Sandisk apparently already have a USB stick that has a USB-A connector on one end and a USB-C connector on the other so I don't think we're that far off seeing them available en masse. Still doesn't really address what happens in the scenario you mentioned but it won't be an issue for too long.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

enMTW posted:

That sounds awful. Where can I express my displeasure about these things?
There should be a button for that on your Apple Watch. Press it and everybody on your list gets alterted to a frown smiley face on their watch. Welcome to the future.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Cingulate posted:

There should be a button for that on your Apple Watch. Press it and everybody on your list gets alterted to a frown smiley face on their watch. Welcome to the future.

*BEEPBEEP* "Apple Watch has detected that your heart rate has increased. u mad bro?"

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Accipiter posted:

To be fair, I would expect a "Pro" machine to have "Pro" features.

But it's not a loving "pro" machine. It's not part of the "pro" line. Apple has brought back the "Macbook" line with this. Are you so god drat blinded with your "RAWR! PORTS!" that you can't even pay attention to what it is?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's probably why he's talking about the Macbook Pro.

Also a USB ethernet adapter is probably a better idea because at least if you're buying that it's universal.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

Ain't no internet slapfight like a Mac hardware internet slapfight

New thread title? Mods?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

Also a USB ethernet adapter is probably a better idea because at least if you're buying that it's universal.

Eh, don't mind me. I've had a poo poo day and have been crabbing up everything.

Accipiter, I'm not saying I agree with you on some of this stuff, but sorry jumping on with both feet. We're still totally not dating or anything.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Maybe Apple will come out with a drat USB 3.0 gig Ethernet adapter now.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Unless you just have to have Apple stuff most of them already have OSX drivers because they usually use the same chip from Asix.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Mar 11, 2015

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Bob Morales posted:

Maybe Apple will come out with a drat USB 3.0 gig Ethernet adapter now.

There's really no need for an Apple branded one except for vanity, plenty of adapters work. They even have aluminum ones to satisfy your need for that Mac look.

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.

Bob Morales posted:

Pay more for your Apple products, Canada.

This also happened in Australia. I'm actually a little conficted - it's good because the re-sale value of my 64GB 6+ just increased. It's bad because it's not like Apple NEEDS THE loving MONEY.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

binarysmurf posted:

This also happened in Australia. I'm actually a little conficted - it's good because the re-sale value of my 64GB 6+ just increased. It's bad because it's not like Apple NEEDS THE loving MONEY.
Apple always sets the prices on their lines of stuff to something near the current exchange rate when they update things. It sucks at the moment because the US dollar is strong but it was in our favour the other way for a long time when the US dollar was worth about 0.90 AUD and the prices were close to parity. There's obviously still the 'haha you live in Australia and have to pay more for your stuff, suck it nerds' thing that isn't helping but it's mostly the exchange rate thing.

All our computer resellers at work have done the same thing over the last month or so :saddowns:

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

1st AD posted:

There's really no need for an Apple branded one except for vanity, plenty of adapters work. They even have aluminum ones to satisfy your need for that Mac look.

Presumably an official Apple would would be GbE to USB Type C, so you don't have to have a ridiculous contraption of a USB ethernet adapter plugged into another adapter to your MacBook if you wanted to do some file transfer at rates faster than 30MB/s (if you're lucky).

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
You guys are missing the bigger picture here.

OS X started with clear plastic hardware and Aqua. Then they went aluminium and brushed metal followed. White plastic and minimalist design is the current trend. The goldpad and gold book could only mean one thing, brushed loving gold is coming down the software pipeline big time.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
Looking good

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

But it DOES do true PCIe expansion, with boxes that you can just plug cards into, just not with GPU's in OSX.

And plenty of manufacturers are making really nice audio interfaces with huge channel counts, super low latency and onboard DSP that you couldn't without a PCIe card before. You can hook a 13" MBP up to 64 channels worth of Symphony IO, 64 channels of ProTools HD native, or connect to pro video stations from Avid, MOTU, etc.

But you're right, for most people they don't need Thunderbolt, they probably could get by with just one USB-C porwwaaaaait a minute

These are 1% use cases, and would be fine with Internal PCIe cards if apple made a proper desktop any longer.

Surely a studio will have dedicated editing machines rather than expecting someone to come in and hotplug their Macbook to $$$ editing stations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I have a late 2013 rMBP, wondering if it's worth dumping it and getting an updated rMBP. The MacBook isn't powerful enough for what I need (I need to run a couple of VM's for work). I wish the new rMBP had a USB-C port, though. I'd really like to be able to just leave a dongle at my desk and carry one in my bag. $70 bucks for a combined HDMI/USB/Charging port isn't too steep, but if it included an ethernet I'd be more happy. I'm sure someone will make one.