Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
It doesn't matter when Wenger leaves, it matters who will replace him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Wenger should walk

to united

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I do like that Stoke, noted team with only one style, ruled with an iron fist by a tin pot despot who shaped the entire structure in his image, managed to successfully find a new manager and staff and build a working support structure while improving both in terms of playstyle and league position. If some poo poo club from the midlands can do it the biggest club in the world should be able to.

What I am saying is find a local lifelong fan who is almost a multibillionaire with children who have decades of experience in C level positions of internationally successful businesses and have them run your club.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

Byolante posted:

What I am saying is find a local lifelong fan who is almost a multibillionaire with children who have decades of experience in C level positions of internationally successful businesses and have them run your club.

United literally have that, except for the important part.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

Byolante posted:

I do like that Stoke, noted team with only one style, ruled with an iron fist by a tin pot despot who shaped the entire structure in his image, managed to successfully find a new manager and staff and build a working support structure while improving both in terms of playstyle and league position. If some poo poo club from the midlands can do it the biggest club in the world should be able to.

Yeah Stoke and United are identical.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

The Big Taff Man posted:

Yeah Stoke and United are identical.

Give it a few years

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

Byolante posted:

Going from 13th to 9th is a lot easier and cheaper than getting back into the Champions League places once you're out, let alone winning titles again.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Teddles posted:

Poooooshhhhhhhhdoitimsoclosecantholditin

pppppppppppoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

EDIT: Just needed to take a poo poo, nvm

Out

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Blue Star Error posted:

Going from 13th to 9th is a lot easier and cheaper than getting back into the Champions League places once you're out, let alone winning titles again.

I fully agree with what Mourinho said a few years ago, in that at the top clubs there is usually very little disparity in player ability, so it comes down to momentum and mentality to decide who has success and who doesn't most of the time (iirc I think he singled out Ronaldo as one of the few players who is a class ahead of the usual top club players).

So BSE is right here, because when a team suffers a (relative to them) big setback, it seems much harder to come back from that. Once Manchester United finished outside the CL places it was always going to be a struggle afterward, the teams mentality is likely shot, they're not the kings of the Premier League anymore. Momentum has clearly shifted. It's the same problem Liverpool was always going to have once Gerrard slipped lol, you're not getting that mentality back short of a miracle.

meat CRime
Jun 12, 2010

ham, turkey, roast beef, cold cuts, North Carolina, vienna sausage
Grimey Drawer

The Big Taff Man posted:

The bit thats the most frustrating at United at the moment is theres no semblance of play, the whole tactic seems to be built for someone to need to produce a moment of magic that creates something out of nothing - theres absolutely no flow in the team. I look back over this season and I cant think of a single game where Ive come out thinking "their keeper has played well", but I can think of a load where De Gea has saved us. Look at last night - aside from the goal what has their keeper had to do?

I'm not asking for champagne football - the pundits and fans who think we played champagne football in the last 2 seasons of Fergies reign are drinking the kool aid. The year Fergie left was a title winning team driven by Fergies determination to go out on a high and the form of RVP. We didnt play good football at that time. It was also in this last year that Fergie let Pogba leave on a free at the start of the season and signs Wilfred Zaha for 15 million at the end of the season.

Then youve got the Moyes and Woodward fiasco which set us back not only several paces but shot us back to 7th in the league. You then have 3 of our regular back 4 leave because they dont feel they can play under Moyes (personally I would have kept Vidic and Evra if only for dressing room reasons tho I can understand Evra leaving as Shaws arrival was imminent). I heard some bollocks about Moyes not being backed - he spent 27 million on Fellaini (could have got him for 4 million less and had another month of training with him if he moved quicker) and then 37ish on Mata who was totally on the out at Chelsea. Then he played both of them in the wrong positions / tactics for them. He also clearly set up the deal for Shaw (another 30 million) and I was told the Herrera deal was put in place by Moyes too (30mill again!).

LVG comes in and the clubs a shambles to be honest but he seemed to be the right guy for the job (I say seemed, Im still fully behind him for another season). But then you have the only defensive signing being Shaw? I think Rojo is a decent buy, and I think Blind was a good for the money he paid for him (compared to the money we've paid for other people), tho I'm not sure you should ever play him and Carrick together in midfield. Herrera signing I dont think was his and I think thats why he has a lack of faith in him - I can see why he brings Herrera off and doesnt play him at times, he can be careless on the ball and his movement isnt always what I'd expect. I think Herrera will end up being class tho.

Di Maria was a massive risk. Early on he looked fantastic. Then all of a sudden his tricks stopped working, then his house gets broken into and he uproots his family to live in a hotel and he goes so awful that he gets hoked off after one of of the worst performances Ive ever seen against Sunderland. Match of the Day didnt do it justice, he couldnt even pull off a simple pass. Last night he was at it again - tho his cross for the goal showed his class. His heads gone and he's needed dropping for a few games for a while, the red card is probably a good thing for him. What I dont understand with him is where he needs to play. He had his best spell at Madrid in centre mid, I thought he was more a left winger when he signed but he's been played on the right.

Someone said to me recently that they think that this season got scrapped midway through by LVG, and he stopped trying to implement his tactics on the team and instead started playing knockout football as if it was a tournament, built just to get a result and get us back to the champions league so he can spend a full summer working on the team. I just worry what happens in the summer. We clearly need at least one centre back, and a right back. Falcao isnt going to stay, and as much as I'd love him to be a success LVG has no faith in him (he warmed up for about 15 minutes last night and looked a broken man when Januzaj got called back to the bench to come on while they were both warming up). So thats now 1 CB, 1 RB, 1 ST and you can probably chuck another midfielder in as needed too, 2 if you want to go back to playing wingers.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Just read that Falcao's starting for Man U's under 21 tonight. Wow

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

The Big Taff Man posted:

The bit thats the most frustrating at United at the moment is theres no semblance of play, the whole tactic seems to be built for someone to need to produce a moment of magic that creates something out of nothing - theres absolutely no flow in the team. I look back over this season and I cant think of a single game where Ive come out thinking "their keeper has played well", but I can think of a load where De Gea has saved us. Look at last night - aside from the goal what has their keeper had to do?

I'm not asking for champagne football - the pundits and fans who think we played champagne football in the last 2 seasons of Fergies reign are drinking the kool aid. The year Fergie left was a title winning team driven by Fergies determination to go out on a high and the form of RVP. We didnt play good football at that time. It was also in this last year that Fergie let Pogba leave on a free at the start of the season and signs Wilfred Zaha for 15 million at the end of the season.

Then youve got the Moyes and Woodward fiasco which set us back not only several paces but shot us back to 7th in the league. You then have 3 of our regular back 4 leave because they dont feel they can play under Moyes (personally I would have kept Vidic and Evra if only for dressing room reasons tho I can understand Evra leaving as Shaws arrival was imminent). I heard some bollocks about Moyes not being backed - he spent 27 million on Fellaini (could have got him for 4 million less and had another month of training with him if he moved quicker) and then 37ish on Mata who was totally on the out at Chelsea. Then he played both of them in the wrong positions / tactics for them. He also clearly set up the deal for Shaw (another 30 million) and I was told the Herrera deal was put in place by Moyes too (30mill again!).

LVG comes in and the clubs a shambles to be honest but he seemed to be the right guy for the job (I say seemed, Im still fully behind him for another season). But then you have the only defensive signing being Shaw? I think Rojo is a decent buy, and I think Blind was a good for the money he paid for him (compared to the money we've paid for other people), tho I'm not sure you should ever play him and Carrick together in midfield. Herrera signing I dont think was his and I think thats why he has a lack of faith in him - I can see why he brings Herrera off and doesnt play him at times, he can be careless on the ball and his movement isnt always what I'd expect. I think Herrera will end up being class tho.

Di Maria was a massive risk. Early on he looked fantastic. Then all of a sudden his tricks stopped working, then his house gets broken into and he uproots his family to live in a hotel and he goes so awful that he gets hoked off after one of of the worst performances Ive ever seen against Sunderland. Match of the Day didnt do it justice, he couldnt even pull off a simple pass. Last night he was at it again - tho his cross for the goal showed his class. His heads gone and he's needed dropping for a few games for a while, the red card is probably a good thing for him. What I dont understand with him is where he needs to play. He had his best spell at Madrid in centre mid, I thought he was more a left winger when he signed but he's been played on the right.

Someone said to me recently that they think that this season got scrapped midway through by LVG, and he stopped trying to implement his tactics on the team and instead started playing knockout football as if it was a tournament, built just to get a result and get us back to the champions league so he can spend a full summer working on the team. I just worry what happens in the summer. We clearly need at least one centre back, and a right back. Falcao isnt going to stay, and as much as I'd love him to be a success LVG has no faith in him (he warmed up for about 15 minutes last night and looked a broken man when Januzaj got called back to the bench to come on while they were both warming up). So thats now 1 CB, 1 RB, 1 ST and you can probably chuck another midfielder in as needed too, 2 if you want to go back to playing wingers.

The Big Taff Post by The Big Taff Man

I read it all

Kwagga
Jun 11, 2002

I am small
I respect Taff for his effort post

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January
It needs some code tags to be a classic of the form imo

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Actually I liked reading the effort post, unfair post removed.

stickyfngrdboy fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Mar 10, 2015

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Hamas Rodriguez posted:

I respect Taff for his effort post

same

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January
Just imagine big staff man speculating about where Rinaldo would play on his return to united??

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

Shaw would really be getting a lot more criticism as well, hes a Carroll esque flop and should be treated as such

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

TelekineticBear! posted:

Shaw would really be getting a lot more criticism as well, hes a Carroll esque flop and should be treated as such

Yer they definitely shouldn't use the example of Henderson and wait a while before judging a young player and labelling him a flop.

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

Total Meatlove posted:

Yer they definitely shouldn't use the example of Henderson and wait a while before judging a young player and labelling him a flop.

He cost £30million, he gets a lot less wiggle room than some young kid from the academy or a cheaper player from elsewhere

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

TelekineticBear! posted:

He cost £30million, he gets a lot less wiggle room than some young kid from the academy or a cheaper player from elsewhere

Henderson cost, what, £20m?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

26 if you include the clauses he's triggered so far.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

serious gaylord posted:

26 if you include the clauses he's triggered so far.

He made a rape joke at the north pole?

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

MrL_JaKiri posted:

and he rightfully got slaughtered for being clown car, shaw should be getting loving crucified by man united fans, not making any effort whatsoever

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

TelekineticBear! posted:

and he rightfully got slaughtered for being clown car, shaw should be getting loving crucified by man united fans, not making any effort whatsoever

Has he even completed a full 90 minutes this season?

It's shocking.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Henderson was sixteen million. But yeah, he was poo poo to start off with but that was all down to confidence. He just wouldn't be involved in the game at all...which is funny considering the kind of all action performances he's put in since.

Shaw looked great for Southampton last season and a good player doesn't turn poo poo over night. Considering how good Di Maria and Falcao were (and should be) it's a management problem. It's funny, Ferguson quite often got the best out of mediocre talent and now United are getting mediocre displays from top talent.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

beedeebee posted:

Just read that Falcao's starting for Man U's under 21 tonight. Wow

Not sure what the wow is here? He didnt play yesterday and we've got a game on Sunday?

He played 70 minutes and didnt look happy about being subbed.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Ewar Woowar posted:

Henderson was sixteen million. But yeah, he was poo poo to start off with but that was all down to confidence. He just wouldn't be involved in the game at all...which is funny considering the kind of all action performances he's put in since.

Shaw looked great for Southampton last season and a good player doesn't turn poo poo over night. Considering how good Di Maria and Falcao were (and should be) it's a management problem. It's funny, Ferguson quite often got the best out of mediocre talent and now United are getting mediocre displays from top talent.

Falcao was always a donkey

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
I think it's ridiculously difficult to get back into the top 4 once you drop out right now and will be for the next 1-2 years. But the window of opportunity to make a massive push back up to title challenges will be when Wenger retires. Arsenal will have atleast a year of falling apart once he's gone, and that means that instead of 3 guaranteed CL teams there will only be two and that's the window that they will have to capitalise on. Man United have so much money, it really is a joke how much revenue they generate, so speaking objectively they can leave Liverpool and Spurs behind them, but they have to get the timing right.

edit: one of the interchangeable american united fans posted a big 6 or 7 paragraph post last week I think and people just said "tell me more" and "pooshited", it is a bit boring outside of the mdt.

Hoops fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Mar 10, 2015

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

Hoops posted:

I think it's ridiculously difficult to get back into the top 4 once you drop out right now and will be for the next 1-2 years.

Why? Because you got in it last year? The top 4 has been different every year for a good few years now, with at least one team dropping out every year

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
I don't think Arsenal will have a United style decline when Wenger leaves. At this point, Arsenal have a pretty good squad, and I could see another manager getting more out of them. Watching Wenger over the last few years has been frustrating. Arsenal are finally spending money and getting better players, but results aren't improving, and all of the old flaws are still there.

OTOH Arsenal will always have fourth choice of players behind City , Chelsea, and United (when they get back into the champions league), so it's tough to say they should be doing more than finishing fourth every year.

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

The Big Taff Man posted:

Why? Because you got in it last year? The top 4 has been different every year for a good few years now, with at least one team dropping out every year

He means it will be this difficult for the next 1-2 years

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

The Big Taff Man posted:

Not sure what the wow is here? He didnt play yesterday and we've got a game on Sunday?

He played 70 minutes and didnt look happy about being subbed.

He got subbed off in the U21 match? Dang. I wonder who's gonna take a chance on him next season. Will his transfer fee fall through the floor because of his high wages, or is it like a buyout or something?

I try not to know too much about footballers and their contract situations, it seems like a pretty deep rabbit hole

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

TheBigAristotle posted:

He got subbed off in the U21 match? Dang. I wonder who's gonna take a chance on him next season. Will his transfer fee fall through the floor because of his high wages, or is it like a buyout or something?

I try not to know too much about footballers and their contract situations, it seems like a pretty deep rabbit hole

I've a feeling we'll be held over a barrel for Falcao if we want to keep De Gea.

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
The funniest thing about Falcao was he was rushed back for a world cup he didn't even play in

If he would've just timed his recovery for the start of the season he wouldn't be the broken mess he is now

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Ninpo posted:

I've a feeling we'll be held over a barrel for Falcao if we want to keep De Gea.

Don't agents also get a cut of a players pay? If not Mendes will probably just be offered a load of money as well as De Gea

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
How does this work, surely it's send Falcao to the glue factory and give DeGea a raise? Are there any commitments with Falcao?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
They have the same agent who is also the most powerful person in club football

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

Ninpo posted:

I was told at the start of the season that the deal for falcao had been done and the only reason the first year was a loan was for FFP reasons, but thats looking more and more untrue as the season goes on.

chuggo is BACK posted:

He means it will be this difficult for the next 1-2 years

Hasnt it always been difficult tho? I mean the peak year was when Spurs finished 4th and Chelsea finished 6th but won the champs league.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derekf
Nov 20, 2005
5 years late
Can someone explain to me why Falcao was so hyped before he broke himself? Was it because he had good timing on runs? His strength? Finishing? I only watch the PL and so far nobody good has a brown/black ponytail.

(he's poo poo)

• Locked thread