Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

DeathChicken posted:

I asked for a new Hitman that wasn't Absolution. Or if it had to be, like those two levels of Absolution that were almost the old sandboxy stuff.

:hf:
I asked them to make Hitman Blood Money again but with new levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

RC Cola posted:

Alternate timeline of xvii. Brilliant.

I know it's a mistype, but having a game's story be an alternate timeline for a future game sounds like exactly the kind of insanity I'd expect out of Square.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Regalingualius posted:

I know it's a mistype, but having a game's story be an alternate timeline for a future game sounds like exactly the kind of insanity I'd expect out of Square.
Or maybe someone from the future altered my post to make this reality

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I asked for another Mana game.

And now a monkeys paw will twist that into a Mana mobile game.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

I asked for Final Fantasy Tactics 2

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

People don't seem to realise how badly they don't actually want a FF7 remake, so I did them a favour and asked Squeenix to stop making games.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

George posted:

I just felt like the setting was all the wrong parts of old-school jrpgs, and the combat was cool and all, but ultimately didn't give enough freedom to put a build together. It didn't grab me, and I stopped playing it after a while when it felt like a chore.

You should have kept playing.

Like the freedom the game gives you with builds is what is ultimately so appealing. That and the developers already know what all the broken builds are, so you have to specifically break the game yourself to be able to deal with the poo poo it throws at you later.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I think that's already happened, two or three times. I know the "future" of the Ivalice games is cellphone microtransaction bullshit we'll never see in America, judging by Tactics S, so I wouldn't be surprised if Seiken Densetsu went the same way, especially after the series's last few showings. (Please don't talk to me about Heroes of Mana.)

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

I told Square Enix that no matter how good of a job they do on a hypothetical remake of FF7, nerds everywhere will endlessly bitch and moan about it, so their best course of action is to keep trying new things. Like putting together a free roam online experience for Just Cause 3, for example.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

This is my favorite post since ffvii blazed ended (not counting el's updates).

Hopefully now we can do a Legend of Mana tangent about pulling fruit out of a living tree and using your memory card data to get a chocobo companion. That game owned.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I take it you haven't heard of Rise of Mana?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4oTx5rx5fg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zosOzDG7CW4

Of course you haven't, because why would anyone care about mobile games.

Which is what I answered on their survey, "anything not on a drat mobile phone."

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
I would have asked for another SaGa game, but hey, apparently we're already getting one!

I might plead for them to not go "well, didn't sell tens of millions, clearly not worth making another one" but I have no faith they'll follow through on that one.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
I asked Sqeenix to just please make quality games. :smith:

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

HIJK posted:

I made a carepost about how the classics are timeless and FFIX was the last great game they've made since it had a lot of classic FF callbacks, challenge, and memorable characters, and how every game since then has gotten more bizarre and unrelateable. I basically pleaded for them to go back to their roots.

Also the next game they should make is Dissidia :colbert:

(I understand how contrary that sounds, but gently caress you, Dissidia is amazing.)

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

larchesdanrew posted:

(I understand how contrary that sounds, but gently caress you, Dissidia is amazing.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPrXNBevqFk

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013
I, uh... I asked for a Dragon Quest Tactics game.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HIJK posted:

Yea, honestly at this point I just want games that are written by someone who wants to actually tell a story, not a marketing team.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Yorkshire Tea posted:

You should have kept playing.

Like the freedom the game gives you with builds is what is ultimately so appealing. That and the developers already know what all the broken builds are, so you have to specifically break the game yourself to be able to deal with the poo poo it throws at you later.

I played pretty deep, and it really felt like I had already had all the fun I was ever going to with it. I dunno, I just think people got too excited about the job system and cut the game a lot of slack for being "old-school".

As for what I asked for, I just wanted a remastered FFXII and for them to recognize what made their old games so great. Like, get in the lab and figure out what you loving lost you hacks. It's like the Square of old is their direct competitor, and they have to reverse engineer what they used to be.

Each of us cared enough to fill out a huge lovely survey just to tell them what's what in a few words. Like, holy poo poo.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Elentor posted:

Yea, honestly at this point I just want games that are written by someone who wants to actually tell a story, not a marketing team.

They do have writers!

Who report to the Marketing Team about making sure their dialogue is in line with what Marketing expects their audience to like. :sigh:

And this is why I liked Sahz. He may not have been a great character, but he was amazing as a character (if you get what I mean).

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Yeah, problem is that they make expensive art and more expensive prerendered video assets first and then figure out where in the story those should go second. That process is rear end-backwards. Overall story (maybe not every last detail, but all the important bits) and general gameplay design should be the early parts, so everything after that is working from a mostly set-in-stone story and gameplay structure.

Also marketing should stay the gently caress out of everything.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

MonsieurChoc posted:

I instead asked for more Ogre Battle games named after Queen songs.

My man. I basically begged for anything related to the Ogre Battle/Tactics Ogre franchise.

I would kickstart the poo poo out of another game in the franchise.

Edit: Crap forgot to beg for Crisis Core on the Vita. Ffffff

waah fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Mar 11, 2015

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

George posted:

I played pretty deep, and it really felt like I had already had all the fun I was ever going to with it. I dunno, I just think people got too excited about the job system and cut the game a lot of slack for being "old-school".

As for what I asked for, I just wanted a remastered FFXII and for them to recognize what made their old games so great. Like, get in the lab and figure out what you loving lost you hacks. It's like the Square of old is their direct competitor, and they have to reverse engineer what they used to be.

Each of us cared enough to fill out a huge lovely survey just to tell them what's what in a few words. Like, holy poo poo.

Three iterations of FFXIII and FFXV dev hell (not forgetting vanilla FFXIV) really broke the image of Square Enix didnt it?

What they lost is Development focus and most importantly: A story that isnt 3 miles up its own rear end.

Also Vil, doesnt that explain XIII/XV development rather than anything prior?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I asked for more Drakengard games :unsmigghh:

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

I wouldn't be surprised if it applied to 8 as well, although they've been less public about just why that particular story has its issues, compared to 13 and 15's clearly stated development hell.

I actually don't really have major problems with the rest of their stories, although in some cases this means deliberately ignoring EU. Not just 7's infamous EU of course, but 4's After Years was pretty egregious (but then again, that's more on Matrix Software), and 10's attempts at an expanded EU beyond X-2 (which itself wasn't that bad) is mostly just making GBS threads over itself.

I don't think S-E's very good at going from "we tied up all the loose ends" to "let's make a sequel". Which is, really, completely fair. It's okay for something to be a one-off story which is now over. Trying to force it usually doesn't work very well.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

SirPhoebos posted:

I asked for more Drakengard games :unsmigghh:

This guy knows what's up.

(Seriously, why on earth would you fill a whole survey just to ask for more Final Fantasy and Final Fantasy remakes? Sacrifice a goat to make the sun come up while you are at it.)

Sientara
May 27, 2012

I just asked for more of their back catalog on PSN. I want to play VP and Crisis Core on my Vita dammit! :shepspends:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Vil posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if it applied to 8 as well, although they've been less public about just why that particular story has its issues, compared to 13 and 15's clearly stated development hell.

I actually don't really have major problems with the rest of their stories, although in some cases this means deliberately ignoring EU. Not just 7's infamous EU of course, but 4's After Years was pretty egregious (but then again, that's more on Matrix Software), and 10's attempts at an expanded EU beyond X-2 (which itself wasn't that bad) is mostly just making GBS threads over itself.

I don't think S-E's very good at going from "we tied up all the loose ends" to "let's make a sequel". Which is, really, completely fair. It's okay for something to be a one-off story which is now over. Trying to force it usually doesn't work very well.

Phoneposting so adding quotes on edit is a pain.

You do have a point there but i was more pointing to the whole "visuals first, game later" thing.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

I just said a Parasite Eve 1/2 HD rerelease cuz I've seen what they've done to all of their eligible franchises. :v:

I also said they should put FFXIV's dev team on the main series dev team in some capacity cuz the main series needs Godbert-esque levity.

Also said to make KH's plot a less rear end-backwards clusterfuck but it's a bit late for that. I just gave up after 2 when I saw what to expect.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Man with Hat posted:

:hf:
I asked them to make Hitman Blood Money again but with new levels.
That 1.3 patch.

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Fucking blocks... I'm gonna climb the shit outta you!
Nobody else wanted Vagrant Story 2? :(

Man I loved that game. Such atmosphere.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

geri_khan posted:

I regret bringing that to their attention now, but at the same time I think that game tied up all the loose ends it needed to.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

You know, with the gritty medivapolitics genre being in recently it might've not been a bad time make a new Ivalice game. Too bad that ship has already sailed, what with it Square's development times and the fact they ate the soul of the guy who made those games or something.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

geri_khan posted:

Unless they were to get Matsuno on board, there'd be no point. I feel as though they'd make it too much of an "Ivalice Alliance" game too and probably shoehorn FFXII references in for no massively valid reason.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

geri_khan posted:

I'm not convinced they can make a good VS2 at this point. So I told them they should do FFXII IZJS HD. Because dammit, everyone should have the hands-down best version of that game.

...I may also have mentioned something about them focusing more on shinies than actual story or gameplay, and that it was a lovely way to do things....

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

berryjon posted:

They do have writers!

Who report to the Marketing Team about making sure their dialogue is in line with what Marketing expects their audience to like. :sigh:

And this is why I liked Sahz. He may not have been a great character, but he was amazing as a character (if you get what I mean).

Unfortunately the same thing that allows them to do crazy awesome things like reboot an MMO almost from the ground up because people REALLY don't like it (FFXIV) also causes their development woes: their money source.

On one hand using their own money means they avoid being beholden to Publishers and their development oversight (of which EA has shown the faults for time and time again) on the other hand that means it's their own fault for doing the same thing to themselves to get a return on investment.

Fact of the matter is, making games for money (as a business) is leagues different than making games for fun (making dreams come true.) While I still believe they can pull the latter off since they still have elements of their previous successes scattered throughout their recent games they're only going to do so once they get a good team working together.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Aurain posted:

Unless they were to get Matsuno on board, there'd be no point. I feel as though they'd make it too much of an "Ivalice Alliance" game too and probably shoehorn FFXII references in for no massively valid reason.

Let's not fool ourselves: All Ashley Riot is missing is the ridiculous Scandinavian name and accent, his hair already looks like bunny girl ears. (Well, more bug antennae, but if you squint...)

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

larchesdanrew posted:

I made a carepost about how the classics are timeless and FFIX was the last great game they've made since it had a lot of classic FF callbacks, challenge, and memorable characters, and how every game since then has gotten more bizarre and unrelateable. I basically pleaded for them to go back to their roots.

I also careposted pretty hard about IX being fantastic and the constant experimentation after that gradually choking the series to death, and then typed PLEASE STOP MAKING MOBILE GAMES in all caps just like that. If I could have made it red, underlined, and bolded, I would have. Then I said they should let Yoshida make all the major decisions at SE HQ forever, and be made god-president for life.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
I said 'make FFVII HD but only if you can do it without loving it up'.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

Kalenn Istarion posted:

And now I'm imagining all the SE guys reading this and knowing "we'll gently caress it up :(". Poor SE guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Kalenn Istarion posted:

In much the same way, I said to do it based on the original script, and explicitly warned against letting any of the EU characterization stuff creep in and ruin it. Because, y'know, saying "don't gently caress it up" is what I meant but didn't think they'd take it seriously.

Though I really should have said Einhänder 2.

• Locked thread