Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Kegluneq posted:

He punched Piers Morgan years ago and no-one cared.

That's Piers Morgan, though. Everyone wants to punch Piers Morgan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Kegluneq posted:

yeah but piers morgan's a oval office

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Venomous posted:

Of course it's nuts, but it seemed nuts that the Tories would go into coalition with the Lib Dems in 2010. Stranger things have happened.

I don't remember it being 'nuts' at all? It was a rather natural pairing.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Venomous posted:

senior Tories are calling for a coalition with Labour
i'm sure the couple of fringe figures who've suggested this in the papers are flattered by that description

StoicFnord
Jul 27, 2012

"If you want to make enemies....try to change something."

College Slice

Kegluneq posted:

I thought he should have been off TV years ago, add that to the pile of reasons Clarkson is a shitheel and should derive no special treatment.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
So the contracts for the presenters were up this year anyway? Clearly, this whole brouhaha is a way to go with a bang, then cheaply purchase the rights to the show back from the BBC in a few years after the brand has tanked in value through lack of ratings because no one likes it without the holy trinity of middle aged curmudgeons, at which point the three of them bring it back as an online only broadcast show and make yet more millions.

:tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil:

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Pissflaps posted:

I don't remember it being 'nuts' at all? It was a rather natural pairing.

Not by their campaign, it was populist as all hell. From their manifesto:

They seemed further to the left than Labour at the time.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
Get rid of Clarkson and Top Gear can bring back Angela Rippon.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Kegluneq posted:

That's a public service. If anything, Arsenal should be ashamed for not throwing a game when it could have done some good.
https://twitter.com/piersmorgan/status/574935393855897600

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

quote:

So the contracts for the presenters were up this year anyway? Clearly, this whole brouhaha is a way to go with a bang, then cheaply purchase the rights to the show back from the BBC in a few years after the brand has tanked in value through lack of ratings because no one likes it without the holy trinity of middle aged curmudgeons, at which point the three of them bring it back as an online only broadcast show and make yet more millions.

Sky and ITV have been trying to lure them away for years so I could see Raeg Pot becoming a thing on Sky if the BBC version is canned.

(I have to confess I quite like the travel bits of the show. It's me. I'm history's greatest monster.)

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Zephro posted:

Sky and ITV have been trying to lure them away for years so I could see Raeg Pot becoming a thing on Sky if the BBC version is canned.

(I have to confess I quite like the travel bits of the show. It's me. I'm history's greatest monster.)

Top gear earns something like £50M/year (far less than it could if it were syndicated and market competently in say, the us)

it's too big to fail

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Pork Pie Hat posted:

Get rid of Clarkson and Top Gear can bring back Angela Rippon.

I'd sign that petition.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Malcolm XML posted:

Top gear earns something like £50M/year (far less than it could if it were syndicated and market competently in say, the us)

it's too big to fail

actually wonder how much of that is from DVD residuals and Dave re-runs that the BBC would continue to get after Clarkson's been exiled.
obviously a minority chunk. but just curious.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Cerv posted:

actually wonder how much of that is from DVD residuals and Dave re-runs that the BBC would continue to get after Clarkson's been exiled.
obviously a minority chunk. but just curious.

Most of their money comes from the tours and top gear dvd's that clarkson/hammond poo poo out every christmas. The TV syndication is peanuts and every season gets a new rate, so the second you remove the 3 guys from it, no-one wants it anymore. A new show, aggressively marketed would destroy the numbers they do at the moment.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

serious gaylord posted:

Most of their money comes from the tours and top gear dvd's that clarkson/hammond poo poo out every christmas. The TV syndication is peanuts and every season gets a new rate, so the second you remove the 3 guys from it, no-one wants it anymore. A new show, aggressively marketed would destroy the numbers they do at the moment.
Are you sure? Not doubting you, but just curious that the syndication is worth "peanuts".

Anyway I think just replacing Clarkson is unlikely to work. The new format was the brainchild of him and Andy Wilman and I just don't think that many people would watch if he wasn't presenting. It's a buddy show based around him and the other two presenters being idiots. It's Last of the Summer Wine but with cars. I don't think you could recreate those interactions with new presenters, or at least not immediately.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Zephro posted:

Are you sure? Not doubting you, but just curious that the syndication is worth "peanuts".

Anyway I think just replacing Clarkson is unlikely to work. The new format was the brainchild of him and Andy Wilman and I just don't think that many people would watch if he wasn't presenting. It's a buddy show based around him and the other two presenters being idiots. It's Last of the Summer Wine but with cars. I don't think you could recreate those interactions with new presenters, or at least not immediately.

See every version of the show thats been attempted around the world and why they were all uniformly awful. Modern top gear is an accident that happened over 10-15 years of slight tweaks every season.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Prince John posted:

Clarkson is such a lovely human being, apparently he punched the producer because he didn't have dinner ready for him. "He just snapped!"

That's Piers Morgan's old paper. Clarkson is undoubtedly an rear end in a top hat, but it's best to be careful with their coverage.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Keep May and add two young guys, the interaction comes from him trying to keep them in line like an overwhelmed father/teacher. After a few years farm him off and get a woman on to keep the lads in check. Job done.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Darth Walrus posted:

That's Piers Morgan's old paper. Clarkson is undoubtedly an rear end in a top hat, but it's best to be careful with their coverage.

I think linking the daily mail should be a punishable offence.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Top Gear's appeal is exactly what people also hate about it. Look at twitter and you see everyone blaming Jeremy's suspension on left wing feminist lesbians wanting shows about feelings rather than him punching a man.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

josh04 posted:

Hey UKMT, I've just released a short documentary interviewing activists representing the occupation at Warwick back in December, thought you might want to have a look.

https://vimeo.com/121814367

Hey, nobody commented on this, but thanks for this and well done. I am still loosely attached to the university even though I left the UK and I was pretty shocked when i heard about what happened, and pretty disgusted with the email that was sent by the chancellor, Nigel Thrift afterwards, in which he complains, among others about the protests causing £6000 in damage, which would be less than a weeks' wage for him.

I've had a great time at the Life science department at Warwick and met some wonderful students there, but the higher you went up the ladder the more lovely people tended to become.

EDIT: also Jeremy Clarkson is a poo poo and I hope he is gone. What are the chances that the UKIP will add 'bring back Top Gear' to their manifesto?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

serious gaylord posted:

I think linking the daily mail should be a punishable offence.

Mirror, not Mail. You make a compelling point about the Daily Mail regardless.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Gonzo McFee posted:

Top Gear's appeal is exactly what people also hate about it. Look at twitter and you see everyone blaming Jeremy's suspension on left wing feminist lesbians wanting shows about feelings rather than him punching a man.

It's political correctness gone maaaaaaaaaaaaad!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Extreme0 posted:

Please post this picture.

As the masochistic genie said, your command is my wish:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Sorry for the double-post, I wanted to separate business from pleasure.

Zephro posted:

Late to the party here but large swathes of Japan use bottled LPG and they don't seem to have a problem with fires, so it's probably fine.

If you're off the mains, though, kerosene heating oil is the standard alternative. I had it in a house a while back and it's fine, you just need to remember to order more oil when prices are low (usually in spring and summer).

I analysed liquid heating fuels prices a few years ago and found it was always cheaper to top up as you went than to empty the tank and buy with bulk discount. Here's a chart of kerosene prices from 2009 to date:

(Note that everything after September 2013 should be roughly 5.5p/litre higher, as that's when they stopped folding supplier margins into the base price.)

There are small seasonal drops, but on the whole they are outweighed by increases in the base price of oil.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Gonzo McFee posted:

Pretty much. This is rather weirdly being presented as some kind of straight-talking free speech issue, when really the question is "did he punch the producer in the face or not".

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Zephro posted:

Pretty much. This is rather weirdly being presented as some kind of straight-talking free speech issue, when really the question is "did he punch the producer in the face or not".

You can't even punch people in a lower tax bracket in the face without old Red Ed having something to say about it, political correctness gone mad.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
I suppose the question is does Clarkson decking a producer mean that the actual programmes have to be stopped from going out, given how important they are to the BBC in terms of prestige and ratings, and also that a lot of other people work on the shows and why should they suffer?

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

thehustler posted:

I suppose the question is does Clarkson decking a producer mean that the actual programmes have to be stopped from going out, given how important they are to the BBC in terms of prestige and ratings, and also that a lot of other people work on the shows and why should they suffer?
Well they record the segments in the hangar at Dunsfold a few days before the programme airs, so if Clarkson is suspended they can't film those segments.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
e: yeah but this week's episode was already filmed, as I understand?

I wonder if the Beeb were hoping that the act of stopping the show broadcasting would get the public on their side via a logical process that might have gone:

Clarkson punch a guy>show cancelled cause Clarkson punched a guy>it's Clarkson's fault the show was cancelled

with the resulting public backlash against Clarkson giving them the public mandate to sack him?

Cause looool if that's what they were thinking.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Gonzo McFee posted:

it's weirdly one of the few things in Britain that feels like an American-style Culture Wars topic. It bothers the chattering classes immensely and there is huge media coverage of this or that incident, and you pretty much have to nail your tribal colours to the mast as pro- or anti- Top Gear. So the left has made a crusade out of slagging it off and trying to get it banned and the right has made it a point of principle to stand up to those humourless, grey-faced PC suits. I doubt that reflects what people outside the media actually think about it, when they even bother to think about it at all.

It's like the Benghazi of British politics or something.

edit:

quote:

e: yeah but this week's episode was already filmed, as I understand?
I thought it was due to happen today.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Zephro posted:

It's like the Benghazi of British politics or something.

No the British Benghazi was Bigotgate.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

KKKlean Energy posted:

No the British Benghazi was Bigotgate.

That the one where Gordon Brown correctly identifies a bigot and we were supposed to be all shocked and disgusted with him.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Come on Guardian you can do better than this.

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2015/mar/11/jeremy-clarkson-suspended-eco-feminist-top-gear

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

At what, driving sweet sweet clicks to the site? I reckon they'll do all right!

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

"Lets make a feminist, racially sensitive Minstrel show."

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
Maybe Channel 4 could sell them Scrapheap Challenge, which is like all the fun Top Gear vehicle building challenges without all the horrible opinions. Or the BBC could bring back Robot Wars, that show was great. You don't need Clarkson to make a fun programme about engineering and machines. Or if they wanted to keep it about cars, replace him with Steve Coogan or Rowan Atkinson - they're both funny and know a lot about cars but aren't terrible people (AFAIK, are they on the History's Greatest Monster list?).

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Gonzo McFee posted:

That the one where Gordon Brown correctly identifies a bigot and we were supposed to be all shocked and disgusted with him.
I kept looking for a missing 'as' in there.

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

I fully support Clarkson loving right off if it means we get Robot Wars back. Bloody loved that show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

croc suit
Nov 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Acaila posted:

I fully support Clarkson loving right off if it means we get Robot Wars back. Bloody loved that show.

Good thing the host of that show was never involved in any controversy.

• Locked thread