Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
To be fair, Prez wouldn't have lasted more than 12 as a full ongoing anyway, but that's still longer than the original book made it. And that sounds like a pretty good updating of the original premise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Red Hood/Arsenal and Dr. Fate are both going to be so awesome! If only they'd stop drawing the nose and mouth on Jason's mask...

Gaz-L posted:

To be fair, Prez wouldn't have lasted more than 12 as a full ongoing anyway, but that's still longer than the original book made it. And that sounds like a pretty good updating of the original premise.

Yeah, it removes the pressure of knowing it'd be canceled soon because it's not a big name property. It's going to be bonzer. Now we just need a Brother Power mini to follow it. Call him, ahhh, Brother Meme, I guess.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Why the gently caress Arsenal still wears that dumbass baseball cap

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

fatherboxx posted:

Why the gently caress Arsenal still wears that dumbass baseball cap

While I'm mostly mad about Red Hood's red hood, I admit the cap is pretty ugly too. He looks so cool without it. I have no idea why they're insisting on going with the redneck look for him.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
God drat it DC, stop letting Paul Levitz write comics.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Rhyno posted:

He is DC's Chris Claremont, but unlike Marvel they have not stopped giving him writing jobs.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

He is DC's Chris Claremont, but unlike Marvel they have not stopped giving him writing jobs.

Claremont had an ongoing title last year.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

Claremont had an ongoing title last year.

I like the rest of the world forgot about Nightcrawler.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

Claremont still tries. Levitz is just offensively bad.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

Especially books I'd actually read like Dr. Fate. Oh well, I'll catch it when they boot him and give it to someone else.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Deadpool posted:

Especially books I'd actually read like Dr. Fate. Oh well, I'll catch it when they boot him and give it to someone else.

I would love for there to be an adventuring Dr. Fate book that was just like the one from Multiversity. He could go into abandoned temples searching for an artifact, fight some bio-engineered Nazi Silverback Gorillas, get teleported to their dimension, fight some forgotten gods. Just not some new Constantine clone please.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Jiro posted:

Just not some new Constantine clone please.

You mean like the Constantine currently in the DC Universe with the exception of his appearances in Swamp Thing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Deadpool posted:

They'll cancel it due to poo poo sales and blame the lack of interest in the character, not the lack of talent in the writer. I mean seriously, he wrote a few good LOSH stories 30 years ago and hasn't written anything else worth a drat since. I really want to know how good his severance as Publisher was that he keeps getting work. Or who he has dirt on.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Rhyno posted:

They'll cancel it due to poo poo sales and blame the lack of interest in the character, not the lack of talent in the writer. I mean seriously, he wrote a few good LOSH stories 30 years ago and hasn't written anything else worth a drat since. I really want to know how good his severance as Publisher was that he keeps getting work. Or who he has dirt on.

I think that the writers under him liked him a lot since he was fair to them, as they got cash whenever one of their creations were on tv.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I think Prez is the one comic I am looking forward to the most out of all of this.

edit: also...

Article posted:

THE OMEGA MEN #1

Written by TOM KING
Art by ALEC MORGAN
Cover by TREVOR HUTCHISON
1:25 Variant cover by DUSTIN NGUYEN
On sale JUNE 3 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T+

Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for details.

The Omega Men are back in an all-new series! They’ve murdered White Lantern Kyle Rayner and now, the universe wants them to pay! Who are these intergalactic criminals – and is there more to their actions than meets the eye?

That doesn't sound very nice.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Isn't the White Lantern thing all about life energy? Is Kyle even killable while he has the ring?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bobkatt013 posted:

I thought Marv Wolfman was DC's Chris Claremont.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

Isn't the White Lantern thing all about life energy? Is Kyle even killable while he has the ring?

Apparently!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Have you seen the artist on Dr Fate, Sonny Liew?

It's the world's most tragic talent mismatch.

I suppose I could buy a comic based entirely on art.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Mar 11, 2015

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
I'm curious where Paul Levitz earned this sub-Scott Lobdell reputation as the worst the industry has to offer. Because outside of a couple of ho-hum runs on Legion and World's Finest (Both of which actually had a couple of solid issues and were marred by lame casts and constantly shifting edicts) I can't think of a single thing he's done to earn him this title. In fact, I specifically remember Superman/Batman Annual #4 being a solid Beyond story and the LOSH Annual he did with Giffen a few years back being every bit as good as his original run.

He ain't no loving Marv Wolfman.

Sonny Liew right off the bat is good enough to justify a purchase, and not only that but it's being edited by DC's newest hire Andy Khouri. Formerly the EiC of Comics Alliance. I'm willing to stake whatever miniscule reputation I might have that this will be a good book.

Semper Fudge fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Mar 11, 2015

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Anubis isn't the Egyptian Lord of the Dead. Why does everyone short shrift Osiris?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Cuz jackal heads are cool?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

Well Geoff Johns and Dan Didio don't like him so yeah, he's killable.

Though from the solicitation I'd guess he actually isn't dead and it's misdirection and blah blah blah whatever

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
Geoff and Dan hate Kyle.

That's why he's led his own title for almost a decade now.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think it's more accurate to say they like Hal and Barry more than hating Kyle and Wally.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teenage Fansub posted:

I suppose I could buy a comic based entirely on art.

You could. I mean, it's the only reason anyone buys Silver Surfer.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Mr. Maltose posted:

Anubis isn't the Egyptian Lord of the Dead. Why does everyone short shrift Osiris?

Now that you mention it, that is pretty weird. I wish people would loving research the gods they write about!

Honestly, I'm only excited for Dr. Fate for the art...I really hope the writing isn't complete trash...

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Rhyno posted:

You could. I mean, it's the only reason anyone buys Silver Surfer.

Silver Surfer's an entirely good comic :colbert:

WickedHate posted:

It's Dan Slott's bad Doctor Who fanfiction.

It is? Oh no!

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Mar 12, 2015

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Your face is entirely good!

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
I'm on board for Prez and Bizarro. I don't have much faith in Jurgens' writing, but I feel obligated to support a Bat-Mite book on principle.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Teenage Fansub posted:

It's Dan Slott's bad Doctor Who fanfiction.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

WickedHate posted:

It's Dan Slott's entertaining and fun Doctor Who fanfiction.

DC content: I hope the Chris Pine rumors of being Hal in 2020 don't lead to every Green Lantern having Pine portraits on the covers.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

quote:

At last, Batman Beyond gets his own ongoing series in THE definitive future of the DCU! But this isn’t the Beyond you think you know!

DC has an amazing ability to sum up their modern problems in just a few sentences.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I can't think of a particularly good thing Paul Levitz has written lately, but him getting a gig from a company that in 2015 has given writing gigs to veteran ciphers/shadows of their former selves like Scott Lobdell, Ron Marz, Frank Tieri, Tony Bedard, Larry Hama, Marv Wolfman, Ann Nocenti, Dan Jurgens, Jerry Ordway, Louise Simonson, Len Wein, Adam Beechen, etc. seems utterly unsurprising.

And don't get me wrong, I like or even LOVE work by several of these writers, it's just that none of it has been produced in the 21st century. I have a hard time singling out Paul Levitz as the weird aberration here.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Well, with the rest of the new launch being fairly fresh and exciting, it's a bummer that it wasn't a clean sweep and there are still a few dinosauruses in there.

I'm still crossing my fingers for Dr. Fate being a fully enjoyable comic.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Mar 12, 2015

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

For anyone wanting a great recent one-and-done Flash story, #26 from the latest run features everything I love in a Flash story: a criminal who enjoys her job, exploitation of super-science aka Flash Facts, and colorfully rendered motion. It's pure adventure that's designed to be fun to read, and goes nowhere near grit or grime.

It's a buck on Comixology while the sale lasts!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Edge & Christian posted:

I can't think of a particularly good thing Paul Levitz has written lately, but him getting a gig from a company that in 2015 has given writing gigs to veteran ciphers/shadows of their former selves like Scott Lobdell, Ron Marz, Frank Tieri, Tony Bedard, Larry Hama, Marv Wolfman, Ann Nocenti, Dan Jurgens, Jerry Ordway, Louise Simonson, Len Wein, Adam Beechen, etc. seems utterly unsurprising.

And don't get me wrong, I like or even LOVE work by several of these writers, it's just that none of it has been produced in the 21st century. I have a hard time singling out Paul Levitz as the weird aberration here.

Actually has Adam Beechen written anything good? All I know him from is ruining Cassandra Cain (:argh:). A bunch of those others have at least historically done good work, but he seemed to vanish from the face of comics.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
His run on Robin had some fun stuff, and the dozen or so issues he wrote of Batman Beyond were not the worst.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
June will bring new costumes for Superman and Wonder Woman

Batbunny still looks stupid

Superman looks too similar to 00s Kon. They should've kept the aspect from Future´s End.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
It looks like something from FLCL.

• Locked thread