Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
For Miyamoto so loved us that he sent his only begotten son

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
What is the origin of the "two weeks" joke?

RescueFreak
Sep 8, 2013

Aeka 2.0 posted:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091541/

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Crobert's tendency to promise various modules "in two weeks" and hilariously missing every single one. I'd link the con where the most "two weeks" promises were made originally, but it seems they purged their twitch channel of old broadcasts. Smart move imo

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Two weeks from now CIG will release the game and it will work two weeks from now and two weeks from now there will be more nerdgasms from the release two weeks from now that the entire world will be flooded with semen two weeks from now.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Roberts promised some feature or release a year or something ago at a presentation and said it would be out in two weeks. It took two months. (Or longer).

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
Well he even said that the FPS will be out in two weeks.
I already know how's going to end up

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heiyM61dfio

Informed Consent
Feb 24, 2014

I <3 Imp Zone

Eonwe posted:

from the Crowfall kickstarter:

:whitewater:

Thanks Chris!

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLcjUmBncZ8

loving children

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

neonbregna posted:

Getting a Tali boner over here :awesome:

My name is BULBASAUR and I hate this post

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

A good interview with Travis Day, who actually gives out real info, and not wish fulfillment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGr2WyQGeUw

Edit: At 30 min in, he explains exactly how instancing is going to work.

Eldragon fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Mar 11, 2015

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i like your av because I always think someone bought a j4g an av and then I see your 2003 account

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Eldragon posted:

A good interview with Travis Day, who actually gives out real info, and not wish fulfillment.

We had a chat at PAX East, and he's a chill dude. He even likes making fun of how his Canadian colleagues pronounce HOTAS (HOT-rear end).

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Eonwe posted:

i like your av because I always think someone bought a j4g an av and then I see your 2003 account

He joined for goons.

Edit: did that squeaky furry guy make any more interview videos or did he give up after the last one?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Gerbil_Pen posted:

We had a chat at PAX East, and he's a chill dude. He even likes making fun of how his Canadian colleagues pronounce HOTAS (HOT-rear end).

He and his wife Chelsea were both really friendly with me when I was in Santa Monica back in January. Frankly everybody there is both really chill and seems very happy to be working on this.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Joined 4 Guffaws

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Gerbil_Pen posted:

What Canadian does that? I'll get them kicked. It's obviously HO-TASS

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Kalenn Istarion posted:

What Canadian does that? I'll get them kicked. It's obviously HO-TASS

Maybe the french ones?

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
Canadians also pronounce decal as "deck-ul" so who knows.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

TerminalSaint posted:

Canadians also pronounce decal as "deck-ul" so who knows.

Only the wrong ones. It's Dee Cal

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Eldragon posted:

Edit: At 30 min in, he explains exactly how instancing is going to work.

This is a pretty interesting interview:
  • Because turrets and their tracking are a separate instance from where they point in the 'world' instance, I wonder if shooting lag will be an issue for turret gunners
  • Their instance model doesn't render things far away which is how they can optimize the engine. I can't imagine this will work well in fleet flights
  • They are already crunching, 2+ years before release. There will be blood
  • Guy is super optimistic about the transparency. I can relate, but once poo poo starts hitting the fan deadlines are missed I bet his perspective will change. Mine sure did

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

BULBASAUR posted:

• Guy is super optimistic about the transparency. I can relate, but once poo poo starts hitting the fan deadlines are missed I bet his perspective will change. Mine sure did
Well, CIG has already crossed that Rubicon, so I'd guess they've learned how to deal with it.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

BULBASAUR posted:

This dude has 80 episodes of a 2 hour long podcast about a game that is barely playable. I'm pretty sure his opinion on the game is set in stone by now.

Cpt Underpants
Nov 19, 2008

Simply Irresistible
Grimey Drawer

Two Weeks

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Six Months

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

BULBASAUR posted:

This is a pretty interesting interview:
  • Because turrets and their tracking are a separate instance from where they point in the 'world' instance, I wonder if shooting lag will be an issue for turret gunners

This type of system will be worse that that. Imagine the meta having to hand-shake between an Aussie spun server and an 'Merican one. Or their going to have to have three-four central locations with matching master servers.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

thatguy posted:

This dude has 80 episodes of a 2 hour long podcast about a game that is barely playable. I'm pretty sure his opinion on the game is set in stone by now.

Yeah, but I'm talking about the dev and not the podcast dude. He's worked at some big lovely publishers and seems pretty happy to be open about everything (except the coke)

Come to think of it, the next stretch goals should be higher wages for everybody

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Fil5000 posted:

He joined for goons.

Edit: did that squeaky furry guy make any more interview videos or did he give up after the last one?

He made a recruitment video for his Org. It's as bad as you can imagine.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

Havent seen this in years. Thanks!

epmode
Feb 11, 2008

BULBASAUR posted:

They are already crunching, 2+ years before release. There will be blood

This freaked me out when I first heard about it a year ago. Seems like CIG crunches before most public demos. They claim it's voluntary, but...

I don't want to support that kind of development.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
One hundred gigabytes.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

RIP Australian internet.

More seriously, gently caress me, I just upgraded to a goddamn 256 GB SSD, am I gonna have to go to 512 already?!

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

SwissArmyDruid posted:

RIP Australian internet.

More seriously, gently caress me, I just upgraded to a goddamn 256 GB SSD, am I gonna have to go to 512 already?!

1TB SSDs will be cheap by the time this game comes out.

(Star Citizen Whale Lord Package - All Ships + 1TB SSD to house your fleet.)

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

SwissArmyDruid posted:

RIP Australian internet.

500 gig 850 Evos were 169$ on sale on Amazon a day or so back!

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Gwaihir posted:

500 gig 850 Evos were 169$ on sale on Amazon a day or so back!

I'm staying away from Samsung for a bit, waiting for them to sort out their poo poo.

I admit, the non-planar flash is appealing, but I can't help but wonder that there's some problem with the new tech that they haven't found out about yet. There seems to be no fix for the 840 EVO's problems, aside from a tool that periodically copies old data around, and that doesn't bode well.

EDIT: Besides, I'm pretty sure my next drive is going to be m.2 or PCIe anyways.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Mar 12, 2015

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
So, it isn't out yet?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Vim Fuego posted:

So, it isn't out yet?

Two weeks.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

BULBASAUR posted:

Yeah, but I'm talking about the dev and not the podcast dude. He's worked at some big lovely publishers and seems pretty happy to be open about everything (except the coke)

Come to think of it, the next stretch goals should be higher wages for everybody

Oh dear, I don't think you understand the business side of this. If you miss a deadline, all you have to do is tell the writer in the cubical across the room to come up with a couple paragraphs describing a new X class ship from Y alien race and sell it for $250. Your missed deadline is now fully bought and paid for and you can go back to snorting coke and playing with NERF guns.

• Locked thread