Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Coohoolin posted:

I thought the usual kipper line was that Poles were doing the same work for less pay, thereby undercutting British workers (i.e. salary dumping, which is not a pretty phenomenon)- "bloody Poles coming over here and nicking all the jobs etc". Surely they should be in favour of anti-workplace discrimination laws.

I need to watch the whole program yet, but it looks like there are two separate questions/responses that are being conflated:

Issue 1 - Farage would like to discriminate against foreign nationals - basically Gordon Brown's "British jobs for British workers" campaign, with some actual teeth behind it.

Issue 2 - He was asked whether he would repeal anti discrimination laws and he said yes, because he thinks young Britons today are 'colour blind' (lol).

I don't think he sees number 2 as a way to achieve number 1, just that they both came up in the same TV programme.

The repeal of anti-discrimination laws makes me quite uncomfortable, but I don't have a problem with UKIP stating they would have a policy of prioritising British citizens for jobs. It's been a common (and politically acceptable) mantra for politicians for years, just like Buy British - he's just the first one who actually means it as something more than a platitude and is honest about the incompatibility of prioritising British over foreign employment with retaining EU membership.

Disclaimer: I'm pro-EU so obviously don't support his position, but he seems to be getting a beating over it compared to previous politicians who've said the same things.

vv Or if he wins 50. The look on Cameron's face would be priceless.

Prince John fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Mar 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
It's going to be hilarious when Fartrage doesn't win a seat this election.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Prince John posted:

I need to watch the whole program yet, but it looks like there are two separate questions/responses that are being conflated:

Issue 1 - Farage would like to discriminate against foreign nationals - basically Gordon Brown's "British jobs for British workers" campaign, with some actual teeth behind it.

Issue 2 - He was asked whether he would repeal anti discrimination laws and he said yes, because he thinks young Britons today are 'colour blind' (lol).

I don't think he sees number 2 as a way to achieve number 1, just that they both came up in the same TV programme.

The repeal of anti-discrimination laws makes me quite uncomfortable, but I don't have a problem with UKIP stating they would have a policy of prioritising British citizens for jobs. It's been a common (and politically acceptable) mantra for politicians for years, just like Buy British - he's just the first one who actually means it as something more than a platitude and is honest about the incompatibility of prioritising British over foreign employment with retaining EU membership.

Disclaimer: I'm pro-EU so obviously don't support his position, but he seems to be getting a beating over it compared to previous politicians who've said the same things.

vv Or if he wins 50. The look on Cameron's face would be priceless.

Re: No 2 it seems to me like he said it's because his party is colour blind that they would repeal the anti-discrimination laws.

(Its actually because he's a libertarian opposed to all workers rights)

E: he's trying to do the old trick of anyone who supports laws related to race in any way is a racist. "Repeal those racist laws you racists so I can be free to be raci- gently caress erm"

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
David Cameron, a friend of the presenter, also lent his support. He said he hoped the issue could be sorted out soon as his children would miss the show if it were to disappear.

He told BBC Midlands Today: “I see that he said he regrets some of what happened. All I would say, because he is a talent and he does amuse and entertain so many people, including my children who’ll be heartbroken if Top Gear is taken off air, I hope this can be sorted out because it is a great programme and he is a great talent.”

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
cameron you gently caress, gently caress you.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Oberleutnant posted:

cameron you gently caress, gently caress you
I would enjoy this on a scrolling LED sign.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Zephro posted:

Why would his job be on the line, though?

Because the people who make Top Gear are contract workers, like most of the TV industry we're all freelance and move from show to show. I've not had a job since my last one finished in December because it's always really quiet at the start of the year, but hooray I've a new one starting on Monday so I will be employed until the series is finished and then have to find a new thing.

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.
Can anyone confirm this? An anonymous benefits claimant says that Jobseekers must have a phone and could be sanctioned if they don't.

http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/Criminals-rights-unemployed/story-26156010-detail/story.html

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Guavanaut posted:

I would enjoy this on a scrolling LED sign.

Here's an Internet version at least.

Boogoose
Oct 5, 2003

GIVE ME THE CASH !
I used to see the guy who built Chaos 2, the world's most successful weaponised breadbin, on campus quite a lot while I was at university. I refrained from shouting "FLIP HIM WHEEL-A-SAURUS, FLIP HIM" but it was a close run thing.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Biggus Dickus posted:

Can anyone confirm this? An anonymous benefits claimant says that Jobseekers must have a phone and could be sanctioned if they don't.

http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/Criminals-rights-unemployed/story-26156010-detail/story.html

You can get a phone for >£5 and it dramatically increases your chances of getting a job, it makes sense?

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.

Total Meatlove posted:

You can get a phone for >£5 and it dramatically increases your chances of getting a job, it makes sense?

True, but why should it be a requirement?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Because it's 2015.

gorki
Aug 9, 2014
What if someone can't afford phone credit because they're in a financial hole as a result of a previous sanction?

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

gorki posted:

What if someone can't afford phone credit because they're in a financial hole as a result of a previous sanction?

Just a requirement to have the phone I think - presumably so you can receive calls for work at short notice.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
The job centre should issue cheap phones because then they can check phone records to make sure people are phoning for jobs and sanction all the people dumb enough to use it for things they shouldn't

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

mfcrocker posted:

It's going to be hilarious when Fartrage doesn't win a seat this election.

There are genuinely no non-white british tory voters in Broadstairs. Al Murray is campaigning for people who think he's a real person, and it won't work.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The Lifeline program in the US to issue subsidized phones and airtime to eligible people enrolled in certain government programs doesn't seem like a terrible idea.

gorki
Aug 9, 2014
"The scrounger-skiver you are calling is unable to take your call. Please stay on the line to report their indolence to Job Centre Plus."

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Guavanaut posted:

The Lifeline program in the US to issue subsidized phones and airtime to eligible people enrolled in certain government programs doesn't seem like a terrible idea.

Indeed not. But we don't have a program like that, which is why this is yet another monstrously bad idea.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
We don't need a program like that because you can get a handset for free from the phone networks, because UK mobile operators aren't as insane and expensive and dedicated to binding you into contracts as their American competition.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Because the people who make Top Gear are contract workers, like most of the TV industry we're all freelance and move from show to show. I've not had a job since my last one finished in December because it's always really quiet at the start of the year, but hooray I've a new one starting on Monday so I will be employed until the series is finished and then have to find a new thing.

Oh hey another UK TV goon. I'm in the same boat at the moment. Sucks, right? There's a big argument on one of the TV jobs sites I go on at the moment about Clarkson. Someone literally said they'd been punched in the face at work and they sorted it out. Urgh.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Spangly A posted:

There are genuinely no non-white british tory voters in Broadstairs. Al Murray is campaigning for people who think he's a real person, and it won't work.

Latest constituency polls have a Tory hold http://lordashcroftpolls.com/2015/01/thanet-south-2/

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Look at the size of that swing from July, though. All it'll take is a lack of major fuckups and Farage takes it.

I'll be ecstatic, I'd rather not spend as much time as I do in Farage's home. But this is a place where they openly sell gollywogs at markets. It's happening.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Spangly A posted:

Look at the size of that swing from July, though. All it'll take is a lack of major fuckups and Farage takes it.

I'll be ecstatic, I'd rather not spend as much time as I do in Farage's home. But this is a place where they openly sell gollywogs at markets. It's happening.

Interestingly it's Labour apparently losing ground to the Tories in the recent poll :v:

I know what Broadstairs is like (gran used to live in Dumpton) and it's definitely Farage's best shot of a seat. That said, there's a decent chance he doesn't get it still.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Finland are sending a bunch of goons to Eurovision

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

JFairfax posted:

Stealing jobs that British people could do no doubt.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

JFairfax posted:

Welcome to last week's jokes.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

when I was in EUSA it was all about banning Nestlé, stripping Mugabe of his honorary degree, revoking Phil Windor's ceremonial role and other weighty stuff
now it's

quote:

Student leaders have been accused of running a “draconian nanny state” after issuing a ban on the downing of alcoholic drinks using the “strawpedo” method. More than 400 people have signed a petition against the move by Edinburgh University Students’ Association to outlaw the technique, in which a straw is inserted into a bottle to prevent the creation of a vacuum and make possible ultra-fast intoxication, Metro newspaper reported on 5 March. The union says it is “part of their ‘duty’ to prevent irresponsible drinking”, but the ban has clearly put it at odds with many students, who held a mass “strawpedo” protest at a union club night. “It’s basically a human rights violation,” tweeted one, adding: “What’s next, banning the downing of pints?!” At last glance, the Human Rights Act did not appear to have a section governing drinking games, but maybe that was an oversight.

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/news/the-week-in-higher-education-12-march-2015/2019019.article

can anyone confirm if the protest was one really big bottle with a drainpipe for a straw?

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Terry Pratchett is dead :(

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
I wouldn't be too shocked if we found out Straw was a pedo, mind you.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Cerv posted:

when I was in EUSA it was all about banning Nestlé, stripping Mugabe of his honorary degree, revoking Phil Windor's ceremonial role and other weighty stuff
now it's

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/news/the-week-in-higher-education-12-march-2015/2019019.article

can anyone confirm if the protest was one really big bottle with a drainpipe for a straw?

I used to work in Teviot and Potter Row, and unless things have radically changed strawpedoing wasn't especially common or something the bar staff were ever concerned about. Definitely not even among the top 50 most antisocial/annoying things that went on

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
Seeing the Intelligence Committee decide that the security service aren't breaking the law by bulk-collecting our communications data because "they only read a tiny amount of it", reminded me that we didn't seem to cover this story from earlier in the week:

The Guardian posted:

Philip Hammond: time to 'move on' from Snowden surveillance revelations

Britain needs to draw a line under the debate about mass surveillance by the intelligence agencies sooner rather than later to stop them getting distracted from their work, Philip Hammond, the foreign secretary, said on Tuesday.

The senior Conservative said his party would legislate early in the next parliament to give the security services extra powers and address legitimate public concerns about their oversight.

But he said the debate about privacy sparked by the American whistleblower Edward Snowden, whose revelations about mass surveillance by the agencies were published by the Guardian and others, “cannot be allowed to run on forever”.

Speaking at the Royal United Service Institute (Rusi), Hammond said: “We need to have it, address the issues arising from it and move on sooner rather than later if the agencies are not to become distracted from their task.

“The prime minister, home secretary and I are determined we should draw a line under the debate by legislating early in the next parliament to give our agencies clearly and transparently the powers they need and to ensure our oversight regime keeps pace with technological change and addresses the reasonable concerns of our citizens.”

Hammond gave the speech ahead of the publication of two reports on the issue – one by parliament’s intelligence and security committee and another by David Anderson, the independent reviewer of terrorism legislation.

Hammond said the UK was “right to question the powers required by our agencies and particularly GCHQ to monitor private communications”.

“I am conscious in the wake of the Snowden allegations and in the light of upcoming parliamentary inquiries that we will need to address public concerns about the transparency of the regulatory framework and the powers contained within it,” he said.

Hammond said these reports would “no doubt make an important contribution” but he was clear the debate would have to be brought to a conclusion soon.

The foreign secretary also made the case for extra powers for the security services to stop terrorists communicating in dark spaces on the web, which David Cameron has already said he would like to see.

“From my position as foreign secretary, and with a full appreciation of the constraints and regulations within which (GCHQ) operates, I am quite clear that the ability to intercept bulk communications data, to subject that metadata to electronic analysis and seek to extract the tiny, tiny percentage of communications that may be of any direct security interest does not represent an enhancement of the agencies’ powers. Rather it represents an adaptation of those powers to the realities of the 21st century,” Hammond said.

In coalition, the Liberal Democrats blocked greater powers for the security services under the draft communications data bill, known by critics as the snooper’s charter, but the Conservatives have made it clear they would want to revive elements of that proposed legislation in the next parliament.

Hammond also gave a broader warning that Britain is facing more threats than it has done for decades, including a heightened risk from Russia requiring the recruitment of more Russian-speakers to the intelligence agencies.

“The sheer number and range of cases, old and new, amounts to the greatest challenge to our collective security for decades and places unprecedented demands on those charged with keeping us safe,” he said.

Asked if there could be a case for Britain to publicise some of the “very interesting financial” information about members of Vladimir Putin’s regime outside Russia, he replied: “There might be. When we talk about having further steps that we can take in increasing the pressure on Russia, one of the headings that we regularly review is strategic communication, how can we [send a] message to the Russian people ... about what’s really going on. And it’s a very interesting thought. I will certainly make sure that the strat-comms [strategic communications] people are thinking precisely about that.”

Hammond also said he was seeing more and more cases cross his desk in which he had to make decisions about sharing intelligence with agencies from other countries that do not uphold the same human rights standards as the UK.

“Not all of the countries with whom we might like to share information in the interest of national security adhere to the same high standards as the UK in how they treat suspects,” he said. “These are often finely balanced decisions and more and more of them are coming across my desk.”

There has also been a debate about the role of the intelligence services in monitoring Mohammed Emwazi, the suspected Islamic State killer.

While some have criticised the agencies for failing to stop him from travelling to join Isis, the human rights campaign group Cage suggested their pursuit of him amounted to persecution and had turned him against the west.

In remarks that appear to be aimed at Cage, Hammond said: “We are absolutely clear: the responsibility for acts of terror rests with those who commit them. But a huge burden of responsibility also lies with those who act as apologists for them.”

Later on Tuesday, MPs will debate new travel restrictions on people believed to be a “terrorism-related threat” and fines on airlines that breach requirements to “prevent certain individuals from travelling to or from the UK”.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/mar/10/uk-must-move-on-from-surveillance-powers-debate-says-philip-hammond

"You've had your fun complaining, now shut up so we can get back to spying on you, peasant".

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

LemonDrizzle posted:

Terry Pratchett is dead :(

poo poo

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Yeah, just announced

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-31858156

I think we can agree he isn't a Great Monster of History?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
this sucks :(

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010
I'm sad now

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Him diamond.

kanonvandekempen